IMDb > The Ten Commandments (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Amazing and colorful - best version ever!

Author: junner2003 from United States
1 June 2008

This is one of the best versions I have ever seen! No overloaded special effects, no attempts to picture the myth of GOD. It is rather the human point of view playing 'between the lines' rather than trying to re-tell the Bible.

Moses sure doubts himself as leader of his people but his faith gives him the strength to get 'the job done'.

One of the most impressive things in this movie: the scene sets are very authentic looking.

If you take the time to watch this movie, I promise, you won't get bored at any minute unless you look for 'Spiderman' action. Athentic, colorful, amazing ... !

Don't Waste Your Time!

Author: tashatabert from United States
23 April 2006

This was by far the worst movie that I have ever seen. Moses is about the most violent person ever. He must have killed at least two people with a rock up side the head. Then while he was trying to depart the sea he held the staff above his head and started to act like a baboon. It doesn't end there he also saw lava and predicted the atomic bomb. Then there was the whole thing with the fish swimming in the ocean. Then of course it took Moses and his people two to three days to get to the sea when it only to the Egyptians a mere couple of seconds to get there. And that was just the first part of the movie. I didn't even bother watch the rest it was so horrible. If you want a movie you can make fun of and laugh at then this is the movie other then that it sucks.

Historical unacurate.

WTF were they thinking?

Author: (nunyabiznis@mailinator.com) from United States
22 April 2006

Good Lord - This has got to be one of the worst interpretations of scripture I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty. Not only was the acting, writing and directing atrocious, but didn't they think to save some of their effects budget on anything other than CGI rocks for the bottom of the sea? And what does pillow lava and a nuclear bomb test have to do with *ANYTHING*?

Omar Sharif and Naveen Andrews should be embarrassed to have their names attached to it. I mean, c'mon guys, don't you read a script before you agree to it?

I'll be watching writing and directing credits for ABC movies from now on, just to avoid crap like this. Shame on ABC, home of most of my favorite television series, for airing it.

Very Poor Rendition

Author: vumf from United States
17 April 2006

Unfortunately, this picture really missed the mark. Robert Halmi, producer, indicated in several interviews that he had read the account of Moses in the bible "many times" so as to capture authenticity and realism. However, I'm not sure what bible he read. Numerous inaccuracies were noted throughout the film. The least of which was the character of Moses. He did not appear to be the inspired and spiritual servant/prophet of God--the scriptures present, but rather a hardened, uninspired nomad. I would think that those religions who believe Moses was a prophet (Muslims, Jews and Christians)would be very disappointed in how Robert Halmi portrayed him in this movie. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who has any interest in divine events.

not impressed...

Author: leo6925 from Australia
17 April 2006

I was quite disappointed at this version of such an epic story. The true spirit and nature was missing in this mini series. Also completely inaccurate in sections and full of speculation. For example, as nice as the whole Moses' step brother part is, there is no mention of this at all in the bible...The true massive scale of such an event was also not depicted. To put it into more perspective, it is recorded that there were 700,000 Israelite MEN (ie not women and children) to leave Egypt. Add the number of women and children and I would imagine possibly 2 million minimum people (This is of course just my assumption, there is no record of that number). When Moses went onto Mount Sinai (the mount where Moses got the 10 com.), the commandments were written with the finger of God himself, as well as Moses seeing the back of God himself, yet alone the mountain was engulfed with fire and smoke...

anyway, point is, if you watch this film to get to know this story, don't cause it will give you the wrong idea. I wouldn't even recommend watching it for the entertainment, it's a waste of time.

Grand! An outstanding achievement for television!

Author: Clayton Van March (Hallows_Eve_Chocologic) from Perth, Western Australia
26 December 2007

Truly, this is the most grand made-for-television production ever made. It is made on a true epic scale of Biblical proportions. Filled with many spectacular riveting scenes, and eye-catching visual effects, this tells the Biblical tale of Moses like no other. What people have to know, is that this version is NOT a remake of the original DeMille masterpiece. This is a knew imagining of the inspired story, which took place 3,500 years ago. It is a RENEWING of this tale, to the modern generation. Most younger viewers these days would fall asleep through the 1956 version if they watched it now. There was a particular style of Acting, Production, and Direction back then, glitziness, and that was the only form of film allowed in Hollywood. The characters' personal lives were not even thought of to be explored. They had no personality, they were just people on the screen, that you spent a few hours staring at. But since the late 70s, early 80s, THEIR lives jumped out of the screen, and into YOUR lives. You felt sorry for them, mourned for them, shared they joy and happiness. This miniseries really used that personality technique. Never before had I understood the lives of these monumental figures as I do now after watching this.

Well-known actors such as Dougray Scott(Ever After), Naveen Andrews(Lost), Omar Sharif(Lawrence of Arabia), Mia Maestro(Alias), Paul Rhys(From Hell), and an array of many other stellar talents, not to mention 20,000 local Morroccan extras, battle the many tough characters and personalities of the Biblical story of the Exodus. Padma Lakshmi was also a superb pick for drop-dead-gorgeous Princess Bithia, Moses' adoptive mother, Matthew Sim was a top pick for the Demon-Possessed Soothsayer and his notable line "Bring down every horse and it's rider!", Karim Saleh was great as Joshua, Susan Lynch was a lovely Miriam, Linus Roache was a bold Aaron, and Richard O'Brien had a great guest appearance as the Tutor.

Acting was not the miniseries' only strong point, of course. The Cinematography was breathtaking, exploring the great beauty of Ouarzazate, Morrocco, which seems very similar to the Holy land. Robert Dornhelm's Direction was fabulous, Robert Halmi Sr.'s Production was extremely worth all the possible turmoil producing can be, and the script by Ron Hutchinson made this miniseries possible, and enjoyable. Without his great script, there would be no film, we have to remember that, and he did a very good job at it.

The costumes by Ann Hollowood made you feel like you had traveled back in time, the make-up by 9 talented artists was very down-and-dirty, as it would have been, the emotional score by Randy Edelman was splendid, and the sets were first-class. But what was truly grand, were the Visual Effects and the CGI animation, that re-created the Burning Bush, the Ten Plagues, the Parting of the Sea, the purification of the bitter waters, Mount Sinai, and the giving of the Holy Laws, it is surprising that only 5 people were on the FX team.

Filled with drama, suspense, action-packed war scenes, spectacular miracles, and amazing talent, The Ten Commandments two part 2006 miniseries is the most Biblically and Historically accurate version ever made, and I will cherish it in my home. Watch it with the Bible on your lap, or the Koran, or the Jewish Midrash, and you'll see accuracy also. Television and RHI Entertainment has finally hit Adulthood.

If your thinking of renting this movie, think otherwise

Author: Malki Baby from Canada
25 October 2006

This movie was a waste of 3 hours of my precious time..in the first 10 minutes i was already annoyed as i am familiar with the real version on the story according to the torah (5 books of moses)...but i decided to watch it to get my moneys worth and too see how bad it sucked. Well it sucked..way more then i thought it would. First and for most lets start with the script and characters the skeleton that makes up the body of a movie. If you study torah at all you'll see that the story is all wrong here are some of the distasful mistakes: moses doesn't do slave work because he was in the tribe of levi, moses doesn't kill anybody at mount sinai.. but yet the movie depicts moses being whipped and aaron and himself killing people...reeeealllly not!. When moses speaks to the burning bush he knows who hes speaking too but the movie makes moses look like an idiot, he states that he doesn't know who the g-d in the bush is... whatever|Aaron knews his brother well regardless of their distance growing up, aaron was known for his calm, composed peaceful nature but yet he is depicted as angry and arrogant in this movie. Moses looks like Jesus in this movie.. how ridiculous....pharoah the real one was actually and ugly dwarf who sat upon a pyramid of stairs so he could appear bigger then he was and moses was more then 10 feet and in the movie pharoah is taller then him and hes hot with light eyes! The woman of Am Israel (nation of Israel) covered themselves meaning their hair and bodies and they didn't dance or sing in front of men, they did not participate in the golden calf so they would definitely not dance with a man in public as the movie depicts. Moses's wife Tzipora was married to moses and she therefore covered herself and being as humble as they were did not cuddle or hold hands in public. Batia Pharoahs daughter ( the one who adopts him and saves him from the water) actual converted to Judaism and therefore would have been proud of Moses when he said he was going to go free his people.fast fwd to mount sinai moses comes down the 2nd time with two sets of tablets...with gibberish writing on it..at least put the writing in the holy tongue, hebrew or English and put it on one tablet not two sets.. Bottom line is the movie is horribly written, directed and the characters are all wrong..basically EVERYTHING is wrong about the movie... The old one is inaccurate as well but its more realistic, and they actors are believable. Am Israel Chai!

Don't waste your time on this.

Author: eustfam from Philippines
9 September 2006

I gave it a rating of "awful" not for the acting--the actors had nothing to do with the interpretation of the Story of Exodus. I don't know how the writer came up with such a story. He made the Jews appear to be a bloodthirsty people who followed an arbitrary, intractable, and demanding God--Ron Hutchinson made up his own story--this mini-series is not what the Bible relates at all. He gives a wrong picture about God and how He dealt with Pharoah, Moses, and the Jewish nation. It showed that Moses did not even know where to lead the people--that God is a fickle God and unreasonable and vengeful. I was aghast at how Mr. Hutchinson interpreted the exodus of the Jewish nation from slavery. Don't waste your time on this.

Need to read about it before trying to make it a movie

Author: jaynie04 from United States
17 April 2006

I must admit the 1956 version of DeMille's Ten Commandment is better. He even showed the presence of black people (since they were in the continent of Africa). Moses was four score Aaron was four score and 3 yrs. at the time of this event. These actors were too young looking. And Sephora (Zippora in the Bible) Moses' wife was a Chushite from Median (black) and older than the actress who portrayed her. Miriam was stricken by God with boils for 40 days for her bad treatment towards her sister in-law, she definitely did not greet her with joy and open her home to her. I lost interest very quickly. I truly wish these directors would be more like Mel Gibson - dedicated to at least half of what is stated in the Bible or just leave the Bible alone and make other films. The English accents didn't help either, I was waiting for Moses to say "ah bloody hell Aairon! Let's do it, ole chap!"

All of them leave something out

Author: TeddyKGB727 from Fresno, California
11 April 2006

So I read the book of Exodus and remember what happened in the story. I was expecting this to finally be a movie that tells the whole story. But like all films before it it left out parts here and there that eventually form an amazing story. I think the worst part of this film is the burning bush. When God spoke, he talked and talked and talked. A life changing experience that makes Moses, and life changing experience for people who read the story. Not 50 seconds of go to Egypt and free the Hebrews. If you ask me "The Prince of Egypt" had it right with the burning bush. I could go on for days about missing things in this movie and others that were made from books. But I know there is a second half but I don't think it will make up for last night. In the end, only one movie has down a good job at telling a good story from the bible and that "Passion of The Christ"

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]