IMDb > "The Ten Commandments" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Ten Commandments" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Hope this doesn't spoil it for you but,

Author: lovebirds4791 from United States
11 April 2006

This movie takes a better approach to the biblical story and brings it to life with more information than the original. It doesn't need a lot of extra effects to show the story of God using Moses leading his people to the Holy Land. Dougray Scott brings a personality to Moses that no other actor can give him. The movie adds more than the original from 1956, like the crossing of the red see and the trials and tribulations the people had to go through to get to the promised land. I hope this movie comes out on video/DVD just so I can show it to my children when they are old enough to understand it. Moses shows more compassion for his enemies and those who die. There may not be a lot of special effects added but it would not show the true bible story with to much added in as it takes place in a time when there was no technology. Congratulations to those who made this movie.

My take on the 2006 version

Author: smitherneste from United States
11 April 2006

I am a great fan of the original 10 Commandments of 1956, starring Charleton Heston,Yul Brenner and Sir Cedric Hardwickeand and have watched it over a 42 year period so I won't compare the 2 together as they both have their own script line for their times.

I was not sure if I would even like the new version but after watching the first part I became interested in their take and watched the series which I found to be a great source for the missing parts of Cecil B. DeMille's version. The 2 I feel are a great source of Biblical reference and I'm sure I will continue enjoying both of them for another 42 years.

Pretty Good

Author: fatla00 from United States
20 October 2006

I found this this version to be fairly interesting. It had pretty good acting and the story, well, it's The Ten Commandments. The story got a little low at times but it brought it back up and maintained an interesting and want-to-know-what-happens-next thought. I thought that the Narrorator that comes on every so often to explain things was a bit odd. It pulls you out of the story to hear what he has to say when it would be much better if they just showed it. I don't know how much they added to the story but then again, this isn't really my subject. All in all, I believe that ABC did a really nice job putting this mini-series together.

Interesting Journey

Author: james_fleming3 from United States
12 April 2006

First, let me say I enjoyed this story. The acting was generally very good, and in some places exceptional.

The interesting ideas for me that came out of the story is how little the Israelites knew their God before Moses walked into their lives and changed everything. The Egyptians can maybe be forgiven for their ignorance as they were not the chosen people who had served this God for centuries. They had served their own. Moses and the Israelites simply didn't know who God was and you can see this so clearly in many of the scenes. Even in the face of overwhelming physical evidence, people wished to deny their senses because the truth they were being shown wasn't the truth they wanted to see. The cryptic "I am that I am" makes little sense to any of them and they've known this phrase for years.

The movie is a testament to Moses strength, beliefs, and fear of God's power. The lesson that the Israelites failed to comprehend was the message that Moses tried ineffectually to teach them over and over again. It may have been beyond his ability. Freedom is God. Slavery to any other person or idea is unacceptable in His plan. The Israelites of that generation may have been incapable of understanding this concept. Only their free-born children could grasp this concept. That's why they must wander the desert for 40 years.

Different version.

Author: parawright from Canada
11 April 2006

This is not a modern repeat of the 1956 version, nor should it be. I thought that this was not so much a story of the different events in the journey,which were in fact accurate,other versions do that job. The Bible describes Moses as a man "slow of speech" (possibly a stutter or stammer) who would naturally be an introverted character. This story is a study of the man, and his agonizing self searching as a leader,while searching and discovering his spirituality and discovering God. We of course are looking back to these events,with all the knowledge of the whole Bible and how history has borne these things out,with prophesies fulfilled, he was looking forward with no experience behind him,he was actually making the history.Not as spectacular as De Mille, but an equally good movie. Lots of new faces to me, turning in good performances.

A darker portrayal of The Exodus with many gory details

Author: DragoonKain from New York
11 April 2006

"I think your god is cruel" says the brother of Moses after his son had been smitten along with the rest of the children of Egypt. But let's get to the point, God in the Old Testament can be very cruel, and they let that be known in this film.

One thing I liked about this mini-series is that it didn't hold back when it came to this. You will see the massacre of the Amalekites as well as the killing of all the prisoners that had surrendered after the battle with Moses's army when they chose not to stand with him. I think showing the children being killed was a bit much for network television. But it's all written in the bible, so it must be shown.

Moses is depicted as a tortured leader throughout. He seems to really not want to have this responsibility, and seems to really feel bad when kills in the name of God. But he still does it. There are times when you begin to think that he's going crazy, and leading a bunch of people to their deaths. But you quickly remember that this is The Bible, and that he is their savior.

I'm not quite sure what the director/writers were trying to accomplish with this portrayal. Whether their critiquing the Bible, God's motives, judaism, or simply the side of the bible most films seem to ignore. Or maybe they believe that this is truly the way we should live. More likely it was a way to get ratings, violence sells. Either way, it's interesting to see this side of the Bible. The darker nature of God. In the New Testament God seems so much nicer doesn't he? I guess this is reminder of how powerful and cruel he can be, so that we can be kept in line and not stray from the laws.

In the end, it doesn't matter what their motives were. The film is what it is just as the bible is what it is. It's not entirely accurate of course, a lot of artistic liberties were taken. And it's not as grand as the original film with Heston, a superior film in my opinion. But I like the alternative depiction. Most people are unaware of the many massacres committed by God's people in the Bible. Those depictions have been avoided because it makes God look like a bad guy. http://www.thebricktestament.com is one example of this "darker" side of the bible resurfacing.

I'm not a religious person. I don't subscribe to any of the major religions out there. But I do love the Bible as a literary work and I enjoy most films based on it. This one was very good. But the original is still better. Still, it's worth seeing this darker version of the story.

I hated it

Author: susieq-2 from Florida
11 April 2006

From the English accents to the so unnecessary violence after violence. Showing Moses as a murderer. People who actually believe in the Old Testament will just sit there and shake their heads. I am not a religious person at all. But even i felt as though the writers of this movie were trying to turn us all against God and the Jews.When Moses picked up that rock and threw the first stone at the woman to kill her for committing adultery. I wanted to stone the writers. I can't believe in this day and age that Hallmark and ABC (Disney) would attempt to show such garbage as this. Don't we have enough problems in this world already?

Terrific remake of the classic epic

Author: Ricardo Cruz from US
17 February 2014

I recently bought a Blue-Ray of this picture not having heard anything about a recent version of the classic epic; mostly because of the extremely low price of the disc. Being of European origin, I wasn't expecting poor work, but neither as good a film as this turned out to be! The acting was very professional, the story, wardrobe and sets were accurate. With a duration of almost three hours, the life of Moses is presented with sufficient detail, but not at every important stage. For instance, the period between childhood and young adult was skipped; most certainly a difficult stage for a rich youngster who was aware of his slave origins. If you buy this movie (mini-series), I'd like to suggest the Blue-Ray version, as the definition is as high as one can get.

Highly Entertaining Biblical Story

Author: Desertman84 from United States
24 September 2012

The Ten Commandments is a TV mini-series that dramatizes the biblical story of Moses,who after following the Prince of Egypt discovers his true identity and sets out on a mission from God.Dougray Scott, Linus Roache, Omar Sharif, and Naveen Andrews headline this epic mini-series from director Robert Dornhelm.

An oracle has prophesied that a child will grow up to become the Prince of Egypt, and in order to prevent this from happening The Egyptian Pharaoh orders the immediate slaughter of all newborn males. No child in the entire kingdom is spared except for one. His name was Moses, the son of a Hebrew slave. Set adrift on the Nile immediately after he was born, Moses escapes certain death and enjoys a lavish upbringing in a royal Egyptian household. He has no memory of his past, and soon rises to the rank of prince. After he receives a fiery message from God and learns of his true heritage, he vows to reclaim his destiny by delivering his people from persecution and realizing his fate as the liberator of the Hebrews.

The re-telling of this Biblical story unfolds with all of the spectacle, violent human drama, and grand inspiration that have earned it its distinction as the greatest story ever told.Also,the stunning cinematography and eye-catching special effects makes this a highly entertaining mini-series despite the fact that it does not match Cecille DeMille's 1956 The Ten Commandments in terms of extravagance and greatness.

Different conception of Moses

Author: drystyx from United States
28 December 2009

"Literary license" is used in nearly all films, even historical films. And when the History is close to prehistoric, as in the case of Moses, then more literary license can be expected.

This version of "The Ten Commandments" gives us a more doubting Moses than we're used to. It delivers on the miracles, so it isn't entirely Atheistic, but gives a somewhat more Agnostic view of Moses. If not for the miracles, we would think the voices are truly in his head when God speaks.

This version of Moses has him questioning God, yet for some reason we don't understand his devout desire for power that he shows when he decides he'd rather lead people in the desert than go home with a beautiful wife and a caring family.

There is much bloodshed, as there is in the story of Moses. True to literature, he doesn't have qualms about killing women and children. No real explanation is given for this, but then no explanation is given in the Bible, either, except for blind submission to God's will.

The film doesn't try to answer what God's will is. It does give us the explanation of a mostly passive God. Like most of us who read the Bible, Moses is confused by "I am that I am", and the film helps establish his rendering a meaning to that. This version shows a God who acts at times with miracles, but insists on humans doing a lot of work, and a lot of people are hurt. We don't know why. The film doesn't try to justify it, nor try to condemn it.

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]