IMDb > The Ten Commandments (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Never As Good As Charleton Heston's Moses

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
14 April 2006

The Ten Commandments (2006) Starring Dougray Scott, Paul Rhys, Omar Shariff, Richard O'Brien, Linus Roache, Padma Lakshmi, Lisa Jacobs, Louis Hilyer, Karim Salah, Mia Maestro, Susan Lynch, Director Robert Dornhelm A remake of Cecil B. De Mille's epic 1957 film was not necessary. Channel 7 ABC is known for its blend of thriller and soap-opera-ish series like Desperate Housewives and Alias yet every year around Easter, they make TV movie about Jesus or Moses. The annual tradition of airing De Mille's Ten Commandments starring Charlteon Heston is wholly suited for Easter. This film suffers from an attempt to be as grandiose as the original but with more humanity and more realism, though it fails miserably. Dougray Scott as Moses looks more like Jim Caviezel in The Passion of the Christ, thus implying the Christian idea that Moses was a Messianic figure, a Jesus figure. This film is evidently more Christian than Jewish in theme, though that's not at all bad either. Paul Rhys, who looks Arabic, plays the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, once a good friend and adopted brother to Moses turned enemies due to the difference in the gods they worship. Sometimes this film strays from the Biblical account, but for the sake of sensational drama, that's also OK. Mia Maestro plays Zephora, Moses'wife. She plays the role in an old-school manner, which means not very strongly. Veteran film actor Omar Shariff (Dr. Zhivago himself)plays Jethro, Zephora's father, the goat-herder/property owner in Midian. It's good to see an old face and to see such a versatile, talented actor doing all types of films. Generally, this film is fine but it lacks the magic of De Mille's timeless classic. The first part of the film which builds up to the Parting of the Red Sea, is good. The 10 Plagues, the chase between Egyptians and Hebrew slaves, etc is well-rendered. But the second part was bland, dull and talky. The Orgy scene, in which they worship the Golden Calf, and when Moses breaks the 10 original commandments, is almost a replica of the original and thus is no good. The rest of the movie dealt with the Hebrews' journey into the Promised Land, their continuous offenses against God and their war with local tribes. The music is neither dramatic or grand, even forgettable. So, you're better watching Charleton Heston become Moses as he should look like and not Dougray Scott.

too long, too ridiculous

Author: smoothhoney1265 from Germany
14 April 2006

Oh my, not another "Best of Moses"-story. Well, first of all, I thought it was a stupid idea to cast an Indian and a British actor as Egyptian princes (with the British actor I mean the guy who played Ramses). Well, Dougray Scott, as much as I adore him, is also not the best choice for Moses, in fact, I don't think he fits into the role at all.

And what is it with costume films taking place in ancient Egypt where Egyptian make-up and clothes look like in a cheap drag show.

Boring film, laking plot, tension, drama, style and class. Absolutely unnecessary. And a waste for actors like Dougray Scott who simply don't fit into historical roles.

Sub-par

Author: skyran from United States
11 April 2006

Sticks to the book, but is still way outclassed by the classic. I find the characters hard to follow and not as well-developed as those from the classic. Moses seems to lack necessary skills as a leader, and some moments that could be very powerful are presented in a way that just makes them seem immature and childish. I don't find the motives for actions very well explained or presented in a way by which viewers can understand and sympathize with the characters. Some of the subplots are just confusing, and it's hard to figure out who some of the characters are. I suppose the idea of Moses as a "tortured soul" is a noble thing to try to portray, but quite honestly, it gets old after four hours. Because I have a hard time identifying with any main characters, the show doesn't hold my attention nearly so well as the good old classic does year after year.

TEN Comandements aka Moses's Biography

Author: alcher-1 from Canada
10 April 2006

At the end Moses dies and is not buried. Goes to heaven in a pillar of smoke without entering the Holly Land. That is why there is no grave found for him. But there is the bones of Josef still existing now.This remake of the original movie is the personal depiction of the producer himself. Ther are a few different views from the original. The plot hurries fast forward and omits a number of occurrences. You have to know the story to follow the whole movie. To much brutality in depiction of violence. The parting of the sea to graphic and detailed. Acting a bit primitive and studentish. Flow of the storie scetchie. It looks like they cut a whole lot of scenes. Parts missing. Costume not authentic, like on a budget. For those people watching that didn't know the script and didn't see the first one , it is a good show. Vitally

Not quite as good cinematography as Cecil's, but excellent revelation!

Author: justdad from United States
27 January 2007

I had never really thought of the mindset a slave would have & what kind of paradigm shift would have to take place to get one out of a slavery mindset... or a wilderness mindset for that matter. I never really thought about how the Israelites came out of Egypt, but were so infused with Egypt that they had to wander all that time not to find the Promised land, but to prepare them to fight for what was rightfully theirs. There was so much revelation & insight in this movie, it really has helped me see how I still have some Egyptian thinking in me that needs worked out!

I'm a fanatic about continuity, costumes, sets etc. So much so that it takes a really good movie to take me in & not be in analytical mode about how it was made. This movie took me in lock, stock & barrel.

Even though I've read the story a hundred times, this was a fresh, beautifully done film.

Review from an atheists point of view

Author: zone171
21 July 2007

Despite being a nonbeliever I find religion very interesting. So I thought I would give this film a shot. It's not actually worth the rating I gave it, but I thought I would try to offset all the one star ratings it's been given by angry religious people. Anyway, to fully enjoy this movie I suggest doing what I did, namely read all the reviews of it while watching it. It's very interesting how the ratings range from top to bottom. Also the reason I'm writing this review is that it seem most if not all the other reviews are written by religious people who all compare it to the bible. Thats all good but viewing it as fiction, which the bible obviously is to me, might enable one to enjoy it differently. Well here it is: The acting range from laughable to pretty good 5 or 6 times. The special effects are nothing special these days, but acceptable, since they aren't really the drive of the movie. I quite liked the sets and the costumes, but I honestly don't know what they are supposed to look like historically so they might not be authentic. Overall what carried this movie was the story. Now the story was had a lot going for it interesting twists and turns. But unfortunately thats not enough. A really good story needs to not only have interesting exiting plots going on, it also needs to be believable. In case you don't know the story already I won't mention anything, I'll just say that having studied psychology and sociology for many years I found the behavior of many of the characters less realistic and the plot seems quite naive. So there... . enjoy 4 stars from me because I actually learned something.

This was horrible

Author: firedragon19852002 from United States
6 December 2006

The reason why this movie sucks, have these people even read a bible? Everything in the movie was about moses, God was staying out of it. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN! God directed everything, he told them where to go and what to do. Also the people wandered for 40 years AFTER they arrived at Canan and betrayed God again! They didn't wander for 40 years then suddenly find it, It was a punishment for their doubts. Maybe if the people who made the film actually picked up a Bible first they would say oh no we got it all wrong try again. Everything in this movie was about Moses. They made God look like a jerk who was messing with Moses the whole time. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! God was their the whole time and he wanted the people to see he was taking care of them. How dare they say otherwise not even close to the passage. AND Moses was kept out because he was angry at the people and blatantly disobeyed God! He sinned badly and was told he would not be allowed to enter for it. When did moses run off and yell at God for everything in the Bible? NEVER!!!!!! Actually read your story before you make up whatever you think is a good idea. Also this whole God stayed out of it for the most part and made them do it themselves is not true!!! God did everything for the people, he provided for them in every way and God told them where to go. He was there the whole time. The whole we have to do it ourselves is true in some ways, but back then thats not how it worked! Yes today He doesn't work directly for everyone to see, but back then he actually killed people after the golden calf thing! God worked directly with the people. Read the Bible Next Time Echo Bridge or don't make another Bible movie!

Waste of Time

Author: vin720 from United States
14 April 2006

This movie could have had a lot of potential. Certainly with today's technology, one would expect real special effects. But movies are not made with special effects alone, of course acting is needed. This film lacked both!

First, let me say to those who are upset with this not following the bible: why can't a movie take artistic license? If you want to know about the story of Moses, read the bible. I have seen very few movies that follow a true story fact by fact. Look at of movie from its artistic quailities.

In viewing this movie, you will inevitably compare it to the 1956 version. It fails miserably in that. Heston and Brenner had PRESENCE. They became their roles. You don't see this here.

Even if you don't compare, standing on it's own, this movie to too rushed. Parts where a scene should be developed, it does not. It becomes boring.

My advice: skip this and watch the other. As campy as the other is, it's far and away the better movie.

Hope this doesn't spoil it for you but,

Author: lovebirds4791 from United States
11 April 2006

This movie takes a better approach to the biblical story and brings it to life with more information than the original. It doesn't need a lot of extra effects to show the story of God using Moses leading his people to the Holy Land. Dougray Scott brings a personality to Moses that no other actor can give him. The movie adds more than the original from 1956, like the crossing of the red see and the trials and tribulations the people had to go through to get to the promised land. I hope this movie comes out on video/DVD just so I can show it to my children when they are old enough to understand it. Moses shows more compassion for his enemies and those who die. There may not be a lot of special effects added but it would not show the true bible story with to much added in as it takes place in a time when there was no technology. Congratulations to those who made this movie.

My take on the 2006 version

Author: smitherneste from United States
11 April 2006

I am a great fan of the original 10 Commandments of 1956, starring Charleton Heston,Yul Brenner and Sir Cedric Hardwickeand and have watched it over a 42 year period so I won't compare the 2 together as they both have their own script line for their times.

I was not sure if I would even like the new version but after watching the first part I became interested in their take and watched the series which I found to be a great source for the missing parts of Cecil B. DeMille's version. The 2 I feel are a great source of Biblical reference and I'm sure I will continue enjoying both of them for another 42 years.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]