IMDb > The Ten Commandments (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Interesting Journey

Author: james_fleming3 from United States
12 April 2006

First, let me say I enjoyed this story. The acting was generally very good, and in some places exceptional.

The interesting ideas for me that came out of the story is how little the Israelites knew their God before Moses walked into their lives and changed everything. The Egyptians can maybe be forgiven for their ignorance as they were not the chosen people who had served this God for centuries. They had served their own. Moses and the Israelites simply didn't know who God was and you can see this so clearly in many of the scenes. Even in the face of overwhelming physical evidence, people wished to deny their senses because the truth they were being shown wasn't the truth they wanted to see. The cryptic "I am that I am" makes little sense to any of them and they've known this phrase for years.

The movie is a testament to Moses strength, beliefs, and fear of God's power. The lesson that the Israelites failed to comprehend was the message that Moses tried ineffectually to teach them over and over again. It may have been beyond his ability. Freedom is God. Slavery to any other person or idea is unacceptable in His plan. The Israelites of that generation may have been incapable of understanding this concept. Only their free-born children could grasp this concept. That's why they must wander the desert for 40 years.

Like the second part better than the first (so far)

Author: martinmuse from United States
11 April 2006

I think it's missing the point to expect this to be like DeMille's version. I wasn't crazy about part one, as it didn't seem to know what it was -- epic movie or historical drama. But part two falls more into the historical drama category. There it works much better for me.

The actual story (miracles aside) of how the Israelites became a cohesive people is one that has not often been explored. Haven't watched part two to the end, so can't say if it will disappoint. But I do find the idea of former slaves having to carve their way, battles and all, across the wilderness to be an interesting point of view.

Will say that the character development and some of the acting (in part one) left a lot to be desired. But, again, that seemed to work better in part two. I think looking at this as a story in itself, instead of comparing it to some '50's Hollywood extravaganza, is the fair approach, no matter how it turns out.

Different version.

Author: parawright from Canada
11 April 2006

This is not a modern repeat of the 1956 version, nor should it be. I thought that this was not so much a story of the different events in the journey,which were in fact accurate,other versions do that job. The Bible describes Moses as a man "slow of speech" (possibly a stutter or stammer) who would naturally be an introverted character. This story is a study of the man, and his agonizing self searching as a leader,while searching and discovering his spirituality and discovering God. We of course are looking back to these events,with all the knowledge of the whole Bible and how history has borne these things out,with prophesies fulfilled, he was looking forward with no experience behind him,he was actually making the history.Not as spectacular as De Mille, but an equally good movie. Lots of new faces to me, turning in good performances.

Drags and is Dull Considering the Source Material

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
24 April 2014

Surprisingly Lackluster and Dull Retelling of the Famous Story from the Old Testament. Comparisons to the C.B. Demille 1956 Movie are Expected. This One is Weak by Contrast and Nothing More than a TV Movie Modernization that is Worth a Watch but can be Boring and Talky, it is Drab and Drags much of the Time.

That is Odd Considering the Powerful Source Material and Previous Film Adaptations. The Makeup and Costumes are Bad and Uninteresting. The Egyptian Scenes Look Cheap and the Desert is, well, the Desert.

Moses' Interaction with God is Uninspiring, and His Contemplation Afterwards is Somewhat Thought Provoking but the Following Actions and the Wandering is Hit and Miss, Mostly Misses.

It is such a Good Story and its Implication to Human History and Behavior can Hardly be Measured, so in a Sense these Artistic Rendering are just that, an Attempt at Creatively Portraying Supernatural Events that Emblazoned its Mark Upon Humanity.

So Attempting such a Profound People Experience is Always going to come up a bit Short. But here is Another Try that is, in the End, going to be what the Viewer Makes of it. It is a Very Personal Experience Viewing This Type of Thing.

Terrific remake of the classic epic

Author: Ricardo Cruz from US
17 February 2014

I recently bought a Blue-Ray of this picture not having heard anything about a recent version of the classic epic; mostly because of the extremely low price of the disc. Being of European origin, I wasn't expecting poor work, but neither as good a film as this turned out to be! The acting was very professional, the story, wardrobe and sets were accurate. With a duration of almost three hours, the life of Moses is presented with sufficient detail, but not at every important stage. For instance, the period between childhood and young adult was skipped; most certainly a difficult stage for a rich youngster who was aware of his slave origins. If you buy this movie (mini-series), I'd like to suggest the Blue-Ray version, as the definition is as high as one can get.

A Worthy Version

Author: earlytalkie from United States
31 March 2013

I read bad reviews of this one after the other before I saw this and I was prepared not to like this. My friend bought this for $5.00 about a year and a half ago and it became one of those DVDs that sits unwatched in storage. Being Easter Sunday and not being able to access either the 1956 version or Ben-Hur, we decided to give this a spin. I was surprised at how good this was. This was a somewhat grittier version of the story, but, as it is explained in a "making-of" documentary extra on the disc, this was the film maker's intent. The production values are excellent as is the music score. The 3-hour film is broken into two parts, thus allowing a natural "intermission". The acting is good, the direction is good and it really holds your attention so what's not to like?

Highly Entertaining Biblical Story

Author: Desertman84 from United States
24 September 2012

The Ten Commandments is a TV mini-series that dramatizes the biblical story of Moses,who after following the Prince of Egypt discovers his true identity and sets out on a mission from God.Dougray Scott, Linus Roache, Omar Sharif, and Naveen Andrews headline this epic mini-series from director Robert Dornhelm.

An oracle has prophesied that a child will grow up to become the Prince of Egypt, and in order to prevent this from happening The Egyptian Pharaoh orders the immediate slaughter of all newborn males. No child in the entire kingdom is spared except for one. His name was Moses, the son of a Hebrew slave. Set adrift on the Nile immediately after he was born, Moses escapes certain death and enjoys a lavish upbringing in a royal Egyptian household. He has no memory of his past, and soon rises to the rank of prince. After he receives a fiery message from God and learns of his true heritage, he vows to reclaim his destiny by delivering his people from persecution and realizing his fate as the liberator of the Hebrews.

The re-telling of this Biblical story unfolds with all of the spectacle, violent human drama, and grand inspiration that have earned it its distinction as the greatest story ever told.Also,the stunning cinematography and eye-catching special effects makes this a highly entertaining mini-series despite the fact that it does not match Cecille DeMille's 1956 The Ten Commandments in terms of extravagance and greatness.

Grand

Author: Max Kämmerer from Austria
21 October 2009

I truly liked this movie.

When I rented it I was like "What? A remake of The Ten Commandments? Bulldeuce". Then I started the DVD and the menu looked cheesy as Sheol. It comes in two parts you have to watch separately, which is weird. The beginning of the movie was slow, too. But other than that, it's quite good. It has it's share of excellent scenes like Pharaoh carrying his dead son through his palace (which is unfortunately accompanied by Menerith doing the same with awfully goofy looking long hair) and Moses praying in the wilderness. The movie doesn't hide anything from you which most modern secular commentators would say has to be hidden. There's people being stoned, Hebrews killing Hebrews over their disagreement whether to follow Yahveh or not, nothing too graphic, but at least it doesn't act as if the Bible didn't say this happened.

Probably to my shame I have to say that I never watched all of the original Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston, it kinda bored me, but this one kept me until the very end.

If you liked the new Bible movies that have been sweeping the market lately, like The Nativity Story, The Last Inquiry and so forth, you will find yourself enjoying this movie.

waste of money renting this garbage

Author: giomanombre from Canada
15 April 2007

This has been one of the worst biblical adaptation movies I have ever seen, if not the worst. If you are a serious believer and looking to build a spiritual library out of 'visual bible' DVD components, then look away from this DVD. As other posters have said (and I now have to consider coming on here before I waste money on movies) this movie is not actually based on the bible - some scenes are really added on that don't belong there.

- example, Moses killing an Egytpian because he was going to rape someone's wife, and then that same husband committing adultery and murdering the woman's husband...is not found in the bible.

They essentially make their own movie that has no relationship to accurate historical biblical accounts. I'm going to make a mental note of the director/producer and will avoid renting or viewing any other movies from them that are biblically based. What a heresy.

Perfect remake of 1956 classic...

Author: mtr0118 from Brandon, Florida
10 July 2006

This TV movie about Moses' life was very moving and 75% biblical comparing to the 1956 movie. The Red sea parting scene was very realistic and original even though Cecil b. DeMille's tactics still live on. It was very humorous to to see a Christ like appearance in Dougray Scott's portrayal of Moses,but he did a somewhat fair job.Mia Maestro was SO glamorous as Zipporah.My hat goes off to Robert Halmi and RHI for a great effort in this project of the Exodus.ABC should have this film on a regular run yearly to blend with DeMille's version. Hopefully it will be available soon on DVD.If you liked this film, you should watch also "In The Beginning" with Martin Landau and "Moses the Lawgiver" with Burt Lancaster.

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]