IMDb > "Stella" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Stella"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Stella" More at IMDbPro »

Muy bien, senor!

Author: mattgriffin-1 from Las Vegas, NV
29 June 2005

Stella is pure comedy genius. If you fancy non-sensical and bizarre humor, Stella is right down your alley.

I was introduced to this comedy trio while living in NYC and got the chance to see them live a couple of times. Each show introduced a new film short, which was the part of the show I looked most forward to. When I heard about the Comedy Central show, I was super stoked.

The pilot episode gave me the impression that they are going to bring the laughs without diluting the oddball humor that made them famous in NYC. While we probably won't be hearing any obscenities or seeing as many sex shop props, I am confident Stella's going to be a hit.

Absurd Genius

Author: Shizaft93 from Fiji
2 July 2005

While I can completely understand the polarizing nature of this show, I found it to absolutely hilarious. While the comedy (like all comedy quite frankly) isn't for everybody, if you are a fan of absurd and esoteric humor this is definitely for you. There's little jokes buried beyond the action that gives way to repeat viewing. Even banal things such as walking seems humorous when done by the men of Stella. I cannot wait for further episodes, and while I assume the show will probably burn out after 2/3 seasons, it will be a great ride while it lasts.It is a show you should definitely check out. You may not like it, but it's worth a shot.

Groundbreaking comedy

Author: John McGillicutty from United States
29 June 2005

In the post-Friends era where the "sitcom is dead," the new Comedy Central series Stella proves that great comedy is about innovation, not repetition. It's a difficult task to describe what makes the Stella trio of Michael Ian Black, David Wain, and Michael Showalter so side-splittingly funny. Perhaps it's that one never knows what they will do next. The three ne'er-do-wells find themselves propelled from one exceedingly far-fetched situation to the next (being caught "in tableau", enjoying various dipping sauces for food they've found in the dumpster). This series will appeal to drama geeks, fans of 80s pop culture, dark humorists, and anyone sick of the rote, by-the-numbers that constitutes typical sitcom material. It finds a welcome home at Comedy Central, and will soon stand alongside other eccentric hits such as South Park, Chapelle Show, and Reno 911.

absurd and satirical

Author: elle ko from san francisco, ca, usa
29 June 2005

after a string of filler and hyped failures and like the-prank-show-whose-name-i-don't-remember and hollow men, finally something for a shorter attention span. i've seen stella doing stand up on comedy central and didn't like them, so imagine my surprise and delight when the pilot turned out to be brilliant.

each scene features random clichés (mostly Hollywood conventions) that are fully developed within 10 seconds to 5 minutes. another joke starts before you realize the last one's over, and they are stringed together like this to form scenes within the show. the characters are completely nonchalant about the rules of their world. while all three actors are men, they switch between masculine, feminine, even animal clichés. the show's distinguishing schtick is that random sketches combine to form a storyline.

the show is relentlessly committed to its absurdity and satire. the underlying idea is not unlike traditional spoof comedies ranging from monty python to mel brookes films to the more recent scary movie series, but this is more shamelessly random and faster. the 3 guys are really good. i had a great time with the pilot. my only concern is as the show progresses, how they will be able to come up with as much material for every episode in order to not resort to running jokes.

best show introduced on the network since chappelle. but not for everyone.

Stupidly funny

Author: halfbreed_angel from United States
12 July 2005

At first, when I only heard of Stella, I thought it would be most unfunny and very stupid (in a bad way) however, something about it sparked my interest. So, I watched it out of complete curiosity. It was completely opposite of my first impression of it. The random humor and stunts as shown in the show is what I loved most about it, but that's just me. Those who don't agree are probably into smarter comedies like the Notebook or something. Despite what others may say, I love this show I hope it isn't another flop of Comedy Central. I hope you all find this summary outstandingly informative and take note, i am just saying stuff because i really want to take some lines because apparently, what I first said was not long enough.

Funny, clever, and just a tad bit stupid. (In a good way)

Author: Seenilerun from United States
11 July 2005

I had seen Stella do stand-up on several occasions and found what they did on stage hilarious but somewhat limited. Not anymore. Stella with their new show is everything you could hope to see if you were a fan before the series. They take out a lot of the homosexual stuff they use in their act and replace it with a ton of outlandish humor. From spoofing "JFK" to making jokes about the great Irish potato famine, Stella is a fun half an hour of television. Michael, Michael, and David have been doing stand-up together for years and when stand up comedians trying doing shows (The Drew Carey Show, The George Lopez show, The Job, Action, etc.) they either end up terrible, slightly humorous, or are canceled before you get a chance to see them. Not with Stella, then again, there's still time for it to get canceled...

Wow, hilarious, irreverent, absurd, and surreal

Author: rokerij from United States
2 July 2005

This show really took me by surprise. It's just so off-the-wall and different that most people don't know how to react to it at first. David Wain is by far the funniest of the trio. It's like they took all the expected cliché sections of movies and sitcoms, then replaced them with craziness and absurdity.

It's really a lot to take in the first time. I don't think this is for everyone, but give it a chance, you may find yourself coming back for more. And anyone who only watched it for 5 minutes and decided to write a review deserves to have their review taken off this site. The jokes are clever and in some cases subtle.

One of the better comedy shows Comedy Central came out with

Author: the_phantom_was_here from United States
5 July 2005

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much when I first heard about this strange show, after all, the ads for it didn't really explain much about the show except that it was supposed to be hilarious, but who would buy into that just because they said so? I later found out that by doing this it would only make the show better. I first thought that this would be another flop that Comedy Central would come out with in an attempt to boost ratings since Chappell left. I decided to watch it that night out of total curiosity and after hearing how funny it was. It was incredible. It's one of the few funniest shows to come out this year. Its random based humor was perfect. It was definitely one of the better half hours of my life sitting in front of a television. I truly hope that this is one of the few shows to stay a while on Comedy Central.

Really funny show..rides the line of stupidity and funny quite well

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
12 February 2007

Stella seemed like it would be an absolutely awful show from watching the commercials. It looked stupid and pointless. Those two things are true, but along with being stupid and pretty pointless, it's also very hilarious. This show knew what it wanted to be, and the actors knew how to portray idiots who overact extremely in situations. The premise of the show is 3 suit wearing dummies have various adventures, and often learn a lesson. Where most of the shows on Comedy Central seem to be enjoyed by the public, but lack in quality, this show was a minority and was not enjoyed by the majority and was actually pretty funny. The first season is now available on DVD and I suggest you rent or buy it, because this Three Stooges like show is very funny.

My rating: Great show. 30 mins. TV14

Retarded

Author: zhumatthew from United States
6 September 2012

Just plain !@#$ing retarded.

Very obnoxious. All the actors do is make noise and talk like children. After watching a whole episode and half, I barely cracked a smile. Everyone in the show is so offbeat to the point that it doesn't make any sense at all. The plot is completely ridiculous, it is based off of someone's unfiltered, slightest figment of demented imagination. In my opinion, comedy central has, in general, mostly terrible shows and movies to offer, and this show got rejected by comedy central after a season. How bad does a show have to be to be rejected by comedy central? This show is a golden example.