IMDb > Stay Alive (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stay Alive

Stay Alive More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 29: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

May contain slight spoilers I'm not sure if it does i didn't put much detail only hinted

Author: moonkid11 from United States
26 March 2006

Well I just saw this movie today and I think if you are a gamer and love horror games, like I do, it maybe the one for you; personally for me being a gamer it was quite good ,if they do make a video game of it I will be the first in line to buy it! Lol it would be pretty cool to take on a challenge like that even if I died during the process. Some of the Death scenes were good but they needed to show them, like when the boss man died, they didn't show none, they needed to I wanted to see all that gory sh*t, so if they do come out with an unrated version or deleted scenes on DVD hopefully that will be in there along with more scenes that may have been cut from the movie. i will give this movie an 8 for effort to trying to make it scary ^-^. I've scene better, throughout the whole movie me and my friend we're comparing ourselves to the characters and who would go next it was quite hilarious. Considering all my friends are gamers so ya, I guess if you like a movie like this then go see it if not then don't, it all depends on the person.

This movie is really good to watch..

Author: warmaxz from Bahrain
17 January 2009

If your a gamer then this is a MUST watch for ya if your not, it's still interesting to watch, it's not the best movie out there, but it's really good and i really think people are Under-Rating their votes so, that's why, i'm giving this movie a 10 Star this movie actually deserves a decent 7.5 to 8.x . I've really enjoyed this movie sure it lacked a few things here and there but it's quite awesome you can't really always get the perfect movie right? just enjoy the present one.. x) if you ever get a chance to buy it or watch it i'd say go ahead because i'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it well.. depends on your taste actually.. but stay alive is a unique movie in other words because it's the only movie out there that uses a PS3 3d graphic game which is really new/unique you won't see that on any other movie out there

And the game does what?

Author: somekid20170 from United States
28 October 2007

This movie COULD have held some sort of entertainment value if the plot made any sense. At all.

You've probably heard the preview, a group of people playing a bootlegged video game with fatal results. If you die in the game, you die in real life the same way. Spooky. The recurring image of an old sadistic murderess in a tattered crimson dress adds some spook points, I'll admit. However, halfway through the movie you realize that the game becomes completely irrelevant to the plot.

She cheats. Look, you never stop playing; the murderess can kill you even if you aren't playing the game. So now you play, and you die, or you don't play, and you die. So now she's not a video game villain, she's just a murderer. There goes any hint of originality in the horror genre whatsoever. The rest of the film is riddled with overused horror clichés, and the characters make choices that defy any form of human rationality.

Take the journey: You're driving along, and a dead girl appears standing in the middle of the street. You veer to miss her, and she disappears. No bumps, no going over the hood of the car, no sign that you made any contact with any tangible object. So, you get out of the car to... wait what? Why are you doing that? Well you know where this is going, don't you? The acting fails to deliver any chills, thrills, or substantial character development. You find yourself imagining the lines before the actors say them, but in your mind they sound so much better! And everyone seems to feel the random impulse to drop their emotional side stories about how their mommy is dead and their daddy hits them and they live in their van and they have complicated feelings towards their brother who happens to be their only living relative (not for long, eh?) .

This movie is the freakishly mutated brainchild of Dawson's Creek and I Know What You Did Last Summer. I recommend that you don't ever watch it unless you have a gun pressed to your temple. Even then, you may want to think about how much you want to live.

The Ring meets Eternal in a silly film about a computer game

Author: siderite from Romania
31 May 2007

Hold on, people, Elizabeth Bathory has returned. Before starting to kill people, she has a little fun by creating a video game that mimics reality. You start playing it, there is no escape. Muhahahaha!

Yeah, that's about it. This film had the opportunity to make gory scenes like few others, since it showed both 3D game scenes and real scenes. Actually, the game scenes were scarier. Somehow, people have realized that a sadistic woman with vampiric delusions can be more cruel or dangerous than a man. I predict an entire decade of Elizabth Bathory movies.

The only good thing about this movie was Sophia Bush. She has the cutest smile. No, really, that's the only possible reason you want to watch this movie.

What a Film

Author: kjtonge2002 from United Kingdom
10 February 2007

I totally disagree with Raven80 this film was amazing, I sat there perched on my seat literally and did not speak till half an hour into the film. This made me think that maybe it was being made around the same time as Silent hill or drawn up and the makes of Silent Hill realised 'hang on we'd better get ours out first' because this was ten times better and a much better story line.

From start to finish it was exceptional, my friend hates horrors, he has a real hatred for all things horror because he doesn't believe fear exists in film, he was extremely intrigued by this one.

The way it starts is fantastic, the way it progress is exceptional and the way it ends is ...... OK I have yet to find a good horror that finishes exceptionally but everything else was amazing.

Bring on the game is all I can say what a fantastic film, must have for any horror fanatic

Quite nice... Although could use more budget.

Author: deadlybreathe from Latvia
21 August 2006

Quite a nice flick. Too bad most of the killings aren't shown in real life although just the CGI. Movie is made in a nice goth style and colors so I'd recommend it to lovers of goth. Haven't really had a chance to see William Brent Bell's Sparkle and Charm (1997) although could definitely give a credit to this flick considering that it's been just the second movie he's directed this far. Also really nice comparing to other same budget flicks.

Some scenes in the film might seem a bit cheezy and/or naive but in the meantime this movie has done some nice breakthrough in the "computer game to real life" horror genre.

Would suggest to every horror game/movie lover.

a bit of fluff

Author: qwerrk from United States
25 March 2006

They did an okay job, but in end, you have no idea WHAT is going on. Apparently, Frankie Muniz dies, but comes back when the Countess dies....So what about everyone else? Also, how was the game re-mass-produced after the Countess died. All and all, it was a good movie, but a lot of things didn't make sense.

Some of the better points in the movie, were that they tried to get you to think that Abagail was the Countess, or somehow related to her. A few other scary scenes were nice, but after a while, they just don't get to you as much, like a horror game. Once you're used to all the scary things popping into your face, you just know EXACTLY what's going to happen. Anyway, I hope you all had a good time watching this movie, or will have a good time watching this movie.

"Stay Alive" was a mediocre attempt but creepy nonetheless

Author: rel-kaplan from United States
25 March 2006

Like many slasher films, this was filled with blood and "look out behind you!" scenes. Granted, the plot line wasn't an original concept, but I think the directing team did a nice job with the material. It was obviously a teen movie given that some of the characters did the usual truly stupid actions which are found in "Scream" and "Scary Movie." There was a little too much coincidence and general silliness such as the characters wandering off by themselves and saying things like "wait here." Frankie Munez was excellent comic relief however and was given good lines while propelling the storyline through his character's technical explanations. This movie could have been longer and done much more with the horror element, thus earning an R rating. My main issue with "Stay Alive" was that it was very, very predictable and became slightly boring and not particularly scary. However, if they had upped the ante and turned it into an R rated film, I'm sure it would have been more on par with "The Ring" and my personal favorite "Identity."

Stay Away

Author: w00f from The Flaming Wreckage
24 March 2006

If you've seen the television ads for this dreadful flick, you've already seen the best it has to offer. Don't waste your money on the price of a ticket.

"Stay Alive" is poor film making at its worst. We're talking about one scene in which a boom mike is visible, and another in which a profile shot of an actress reveals a large orange object (an earplug, I think) in her left ear. It's THAT kind of bad.

It's the kind of bad film making in which characters have knowledge of conversations that took place while they were elsewhere. Phineas, for instance, has been out driving while the rest of the cast has been talking about how people are dying when they die in "the game," yet when he receives a call on his cell phone responds that he'll be alright because "That's right! I haven't died in the game!" It's the kind of bad film making that puts a notorious Elizabethan-era mass murderer (Elizabeth Bathory) in New Orleans and changes the name of a very famous book about witch hunting, "Maleus Malificarum," to "Maleus Demonium" but forgets to change the title of the book that a character is holding in her hands WHILE she is telling someone else about the contents of the book.

It's the kind of bad film making wherein the performances are so paper-thin that, clearly, if this were bad in any sort of memorable way (instead of merely being sloppy and formulaic), Frankie Muniz would surely be up for a Razzie for his stilted, twitchy, downright annoying performance.

It's the kind of bad that has the main weapons of the oh-so-horrible ghostly antagonist turn out to be a pair of scissors and a horse-drawn carriage that can be vaporized by throwing a rose at it.

It's the kind of bad that has a main character suddenly blurt out her entire life story while riding in a van with no apparent provocation, and her story has absolutely no connection to anything in the rest of the movie at all. None. WHY? Clearly, the writers were unable to string together anything coherent here.

To make matters worse, the film takes itself seriously yet fails utterly to deliver on the gore. There isn't a single good scare in the film; it's all hand-on-the-shoulder, bump-in-the-night stuff here. In fact, we never really see a death scene other than one or two knife strokes. Most of the time, the lights go out, there's a scream, and suddenly another one's bit the dust. Either that or a quick cutaway. Truly gutless stuff here. No doubt the producers realized that nobody over the age of 14 would buy into this pablum and decided to go after a PG-13 rating. I've heard stories told around campfires that were ten times as scary as this mess. Even the special effects look cartoonish, and real video games have better graphics than most of what we see in "Stay Alive." "Stay Alive" is bad in every conceivable way. The patently predictable ending of this lurching wreck of a movie leaves open the possibility of a sequel, of course. I doubt there will be one, though, because I can't imagine anyone wanting to sit through another two hours of something as bad as this. We're talking "Darkness Falls" and "Fear Dot Com" bad stuff here.

Save your money. The most frightening thing about "Stay Alive" is the price of admission.

BAD with a capital B-A-D

Author: Bozo
29 February 2008

Take a Swiss cheese (plothole filled) storyline, add lousy CGI, throw in unlikable characters and you get this bad movie. I love horror movies, but not modern ones so much. This one further proves my theory on why I don't like them really...the plot LOOKED good but was completely ruined by so many holes. Too many stupidly unexplained things happened and it just threw me off so many times. The CGI were horrible, everything looked so fake. It looked like someone drew a sketch then the sketch came off the page and killed people. I doubt any REAL blood was used in this movie even. Everything just looked so stupid and fake. And last but "not" least, the HORRIBLE characters. ALL of them were just TERRIBLE! First off, who the hell let Frankie Muniz be in this movie? Well, aside from that, the characters were pathetic. Except for Adam Goldberg really who just played some yuppie, he must REALLY need money to be in this garbage. Even their NAMES suck! Loomis is not a first name last time I checked, neither is Hutch, or Miller for that matter! What sadistic, child-hating parents would name their son "Phineus" and their daughter "October"? And what the hell kind of nickname is "Swink"? They were so preppy and so stupid, I wanted them to all be killed off. The only good things in this movie were the technology they used for their games, the game itself was cool too. But...alas...ruined. Avoid this movie if you have any brain at all.