IMDb > Stay Alive (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stay Alive

Stay Alive More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 29: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Not a particularly good film, but I did not have to much problem staying awake.

Author: Aaron1375
17 December 2009

This movie could have been really good, it had a nice premise and I liked that the reason behind the killings was a supernatural force. However, what failed in this film is the execution. It was sloppily done, and it failed to be so bad that it was good and funny. It was to weak in the killings, for some reason trying to pull in a PG-13 rating rather than going for the throat and just making the movie have more of an edge. The story is interesting though as a gamer I enjoyed the idea of a game where if you die in it, you die in real life. The game itself is the title of the movie as well, it did not look like anything special though as it looked like at the most it would be an hour or two worth of game play. Heck there is only a mansion that is not particularly big, a graveyard and a tower. The actors in the film are pretty good and they do seem to act like your typical social gamer. The murders is a bit light as most of the action takes place off screen. The killer is weak as well as it does in fact look like something that came from a video game, which may look okay in said game, but not in a movie. This movie is just so much of a mixed bag, cool concept badly done. This movie also features a pointless plot point of the cops suspecting one of the gamers as the murderer and it just does not work because near the end the officers just vanish. The death of the one officer was rather poorly done too as it was obvious the cop did not play the game long enough to get to the point he was at. The one gamer mentioned that the game moved rather slowly so it is highly unlikely he could catch up with the others in what amounted to maybe two minutes of game playing. Still a little work here and there and this one could have been a pretty good horror movie. There is a slight resemblance to another horror movie "Dead Silence" too, though that movie is a bit more complete and rated R like a horror show ought too.

Actually traumatised me.

Author: phoebos_world from United Kingdom
11 April 2009

I vote Stay Alive a 1, because of the fact that it completely and utterly terrified me, for months after I'd watched the film. If I was voting on it being scary or not, I'd give it a 10. I know a lot of other people have said it's not scary at all, and it's really really awful, but in my opinion, this is a film I cant even bare to hear about, as soon as it's name is mentioned I am cowering in a ball struggling not to cry, the only reason I can write this now is because I'm listening to soothing music and trying to let people know that to some people it might not be as bad as everyone else is saying.

The first few minutes I was watching it I just thought...this is a bit of a joke, but then it really did scare me. Jumpy things scare me pretty bad and this I found to be very jumpy. The blurs of the woman walking around scared me as I don't like things moving that quick and just...the idea of it being a video game, put me off even LOOKING at my video games for months. I thought about this film for months after watching it and had to take sleeping pills because I couldn't sleep because of the nightmares. I cant even bare to have the DVD in my house, I gave mine to a friend.

Just wanted to let you know it's not really as bad as it sounds, and to some people, like me, it can actually be one of the scariest things you'll ever watch.

Not really that scary

Author: callist from Denmark
18 February 2009

In spite of my pretty low rating this is actually one of the movies I've watched pretty often. It has a certain predictability to it that I find kind of funny.

The characters are very stereotypical and have their stereotype behaviors and cliché remarks that most people who have watched just a couple of horror movies can recognise. Combined with acting that wasn't quite that good it makes the persons not quite-so-impressive - except for maybe the police who in spite of their cliché-ness are not quite as incompetent as police usually is in horrors.

The effects of the GAME were actually surprisingly good compared to what I had imagined - especially seeing as the game was actually pretty believable if you don't count the start-incantation. It could be a real game. However, effects that are great in a game aren't really that scary in the movie's reality. Most of the live action and the things that happen there aren't very scary. Direction didn't help it - it wasn't all that great.

One thing that really creeped me out - and I have no idea why - was actually the music. The game music with the intervals of violin-like sounds kinda spooked me, as did the buzzing. On the other hand, that was pretty much ALL that I found creepy.

As Entertaining as a Video Game

Author: drnrg31 from Mexico
16 April 2007

Video games are entertaining, but when they have a horror theme, it makes them all the more fun to play.

Right from the start , you know this is not your average horror flick. Most notable is the absence of blood , gore and sex . Granted it does have it's moments, but not enough for an "R" rating. Is that a bad thing? I think not when it comes to this movie.

The plot is simple. A group of young adults come across an "Underground" horror video game; which upon playing, have somehow conjured an evil Spirit back from the dead. Her name is the Countess Elizabeth Bathory and she is back for revenge after being burned alive for the killing and torture of countless innocent woman.

The "Razz" of the movie is in the way it fuses Video Animation with real life legend( the players actually die in real life the same way they do in the game) Nice twist and done well in this movie. There are many neat surprises that "Gamers" like me get a kick out of. The certain rules and Do's and Don'ts of video games are skillfully applied to the film. I also enjoyed the fact that these group of youngsters , who call themselves "Gamers" really got into their "Detective" modes when trying to figure out why they were being killed off one by one.

The actors are mostly newcomers with Frankie Muniz(Malcolme In The Middle) and Samaire Armstrong being the most recognizable. The real treat here would be Jimmi Simpson, who plays Phineas. He literally steals every scene he is in by adding comic relief to the film. from his one-liners to his overall style to singing along to Air Supply's "Sweet Dreams" as he is riding in his sports coupe, he completely steels the show.

I give the movie a 7, because it does have a few minor flaws. Especially the stupidity of the characters. They follow game rules almost religiously, but fail to cope with the dos and don'ts of your basic horror flick. One part that really upset me was when Phineas meets his demise. He is driving out of the highway, almost runs over the Countess, then suddenly stops his car and is ; all of the sudden stranded. He didn't crash. Did he run out of gas? Either way it asks the question, why didn't he just get back into the car and drive off before getting "Whacked" At this particular scene, the movie lost BRAIN points and 3 points; which brought it down to 7.

The ending of the movie is standard Hollywood ending for these films. Hero overcomes the terror and gets the girl. We even get the famous hint for a sequel as is evident in the final segment of the film. I would welcome the sequel, but in a world of Horror films like "The Hills Have Eyes" and the Texas Chainsaw sequels, you could use a little more gore, but overall ,I really enjoyed this movie.

blaaaaaa

Author: daehanpark from United States
1 April 2007

I actually gave this movie a chance. Usually I just go around telling people movies are terrible without even watching them, but this time I decided to be fair. The result: I wasted my time watching a smelly glass of urine mixed with crap. Here's a non-spoiling summary for those who haven't seen it: ghosts kill people by means of electronics. Yup, you've seen it several times in the past. In this case, a video game is used to lure young people into horrible, extravagant deaths. Of course, this film is much MUCH different than the ring, in which video tapes (along with VCRs) kill people. Stay Alive is also very far removed from White Noise starring Michael Keaton, in which a variety of malicious sprits do characters in through various electronic devices. Staying Alive...(oops i mean Stay Alive) is a truly original film that will bring joy to all who manage to sit through it...not.

A little boring, but manages to conjure up a few scary moments

Author: ElmStreetsLastBrat from Georgia
23 March 2007

I had no interest in seeing this film, as I am not a fan of horror films or films based on video games. But my sister was begging me to watch it with her so I did. "Stay Alive" from 2006 is about these students who play a mysterious video game called Stay Alive that isn't even on the market yet. One of their friends was killed while playing it so they decide to play it to investigate. At first it seems a little creepy. You have to defeat the villain of the game, a lady known as the Blood Countess. And if you don't defeat her and she kills you and the words "Game Over" come up on your screen, then you really die. Or if you pause the game, like one student did, she comes to kill you anyway. So now the students must keep playing the game and actually become part of the game to defeat Blood Countess. I did think that this was an interesting plot and it was conceived well. The acting was mediocre. I think the only character that got on my nerves was Frankie Muniz. Stick to Malcolm in the Middle, Frankie! The killings were a little gruesome but they weren't gory. I can think of only two really gory parts that were cringe-worthy. A girl is hanging upside down and she gets her throat cut and you see a waterfall of blood splash over her face. And then a guy gets his jaw pulled apart, but you don't see that on screen. He's sitting inside his truck and all you see is the windshield and the side windows get sprayed with blood. A guy gets run over by a horse and carriage and you see his body being trampled but there's very little blood covering his face. Nothing graphic. Actually, the killings in this film are the most interesting and entertaining parts of the film. Other than that it's quite boring. In between that it's basically about the students who are still alive doing research on the Blood Countess and talking to people who are affiliated with the game. All those parts are boring. If you're a die hard gore fan, you will be disappointed by this film. But if you're a fan of movies based on video games, then you will like this film. Other than that I wouldn't recommend it. I don't hate this film and I don't hate my sister for making me watch it. I just think it could've been a little more entertaining. But all in all Stay Alive is a fairly decent film. Thanks for reading my review!

Based on Real Life Events

Author: asudman-1 from United States
24 October 2006

The entire Blood Countess concept of the movie is based of factual history.

In the 1600's, Countess Erzsébet Báthory, of royal blood actually tortured and bled several hundred women in her castle in Hungry. She would often bathe in their blood as a beauty treatment. She believed that this ritual would keep her young forever.

Or so she thought; she died three years after she was confined to a couple rooms of her castle as punishment for multiple murder.

She is hailed one of the extremely rare females throughout history who have displayed vampiric or cannibalistic appetites

Want to Play a Killer Video Game?

Author: (info@moviedownloadmatrix.com) from United States
11 October 2006

One of the greatest video arcade games was "The House of The Dead" and the excitement of shooting your way out to stay alive was intense! It is good to see hot video games turning into movies, such as Resident Evil and Silent Hill. One movie in particular has a powerful gory twist, when it comes to game playing. The new movie "Stay Alive" will take you to a whole new level of gaming, if you can stay alive! Do you like creepy video games where your life is on the line?

It was just a matter of time before a movie came out that took you into the game world for real! Think of the last game that you played and be glad you did not die in reality. Imagine the pressure of a video game pushing you to win, or you will end in a bloody death! Sounds like fun until you see some red eyes coming out of the darkness to steal your soul!

"Stay Alive" starts out as an interesting game, but there should have been a clear warning, when you have to chant something! The chant in the movie opens up a portal for the main killer of the game to take your life. Once in the game you can use roses to stop the attacker, but you have to be quick.

The killer in the game is a mysterious lady who does not think twice about running you over with a horse and carriage. She does not wince at stabbing large scissors in your neck. You have to feel badly for the people who first play this game, because they never had a chance to see what was coming. Only the people playing later on can put the pieces of the puzzle together. It is after seeing one person die after another, that the cast of "Stay Alive" gets serious.

This movie has a strong Gothic touch and the mysterious lady killer in the game loves blood. You will get a sense of a vampire blood lust in this movie. Hutch O'Neill(Jon Foster) decides to go to a plantation that is exactly like the one in the video game. While at the plantation he finds a rude awakening. The plantation is not only just like the game, but the master of the house has been killed.

The small group that remains has gathered knowledge about the twisted and sick lady killer in the game. They find out she is kept alive by draining and soaking her body in young girls blood. The trick is getting to the tower that holds her body and killing her. The one way they can kill her is by using nails, but even that ultimately fails. I will let you find out what really kills the Lady of Blood by watching the movie.

Swink Sylvania(Frankie Muiz) plays a geek who cannot shut his mouth, but has a greater understanding of what is going on then anyone else. Swink Sylvania(Frankie Muiz) turns out to be a very important person in this movie, and without him things would have been gory for the two still alive. The movie will give you a sense of 'Hell Raiser' meets the demon eyed blood lady.

The movie really was not that bad and the story line was interesting, for a creepy video game come to life! Video games have gained so much popularity and it is easy to get caught up in the game. Once you start playing, time goes by so fast and you forget what is going on around you. Video games are a nice escape from reality, just as long as no one gets killed!

The next time you are in the video store, take a good look at what is on the shelf. Will you be playing some Madden football or will you be fighting for your life in the streets? Maybe that one creepy video game you see has been calling your name! Either way, it is fun for a bunch of friends to bring over their video game consoles and see who comes out the winner.

Remember with "Stay Alive", you die in the game, then you die for real!

If you've ever played a scary video game, you'll enjoy a good amount of this movie...

Author: ankhman69 from United States
6 April 2006

If you've ever been up at 2-3 in the morning, all the lights out, getting freaked by a video game, you'll understand this movie. While it's not the best movie and there are scenes when someone goes to check out something they noticed instead of turning around and getting the hell out of there or getting someone to go with them, it's still a very decent flick. There is a little character development and for a PG-13 movie, it'll have you a little on edge to see what happens next. The video game scenes were pretty cool and looks like it would be fun to play, w/out the real world deaths of course. Just pray something like this never takes place in the real world, eh? Hopefully they'll release an unrated version for the DVD so they can show more of the gruesome stuff they couldn't show for a PG-13 movie, it would add much more to the tenseness. I'd say 3 out of 5 stars. 2/12 actually due to the scenes when the person should not go checking something out on their own, a little cliché and makes you think that character is a little dee-dee-dee.

i rather play the game instead of watching the movie

Author: rrashi-b from Canada
30 March 2006

interesting plot. i give u that. but thats it! wht were the ppl thinking when the shot the movie????? honestly if they actually took the time to develop the story it would have been an interesting horror instead of a childish horror and the actors would have something to really do in the movie! i rather play the game, and get killed instead of watching the movie. Sophia, u feel like ur watching her perform the same tantrums as on one tree hill.the emotions aren't felt throughout the movie and u wish u had picked another movie. not only that, even if it had to be cheesy, it could have been made scary. but the blood and gory didn't seem real nor convincing. even the characters were a cliché, one know it all, one smart, one mystery ,one punk smart ass, one freaked it cannot be happening dude! oh boy!! never again!!!!LOL