IMDb > Stay Alive (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stay Alive

Stay Alive More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 28: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I've seen worse.

Author: Jimmy Two Times from United States
5 November 2006

"Stay Alive" is the latest entry in the dying genre of the bad American Horror film. It's just another sad attempt at a horror film marked for your teenage audience. Not since 2004's remake of the George Romero classic "Dawn of the Dead" has Hollywood produced a GOOD horror film. And you have to go back to 2003's "Saw" to find a good, original horror film made by Hollywood. I give "Stay Alive" five stars merely because the story was halfway original and it did make me jump a few times. The eye candy of Samarie Anderson and Sophia Bush persuaded my vote as well. On more than one occasion I found myself shouting at the stupidity at the characters. It's bad, but I've seen worse - "The Ring," "The Blair Witch Project", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)" and "Signs."

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: Black Rose from Canada
7 October 2006

Interesting as it sounds, I was actually surprised at how good this movie was. Before viewing this movie I thought the concept was stupid and unrealistic, even for a horror movie. However after viewing I can safely say it seemed to be a very good movie.

It gets a 6 because after a while, the scares become boring and the sight of dead children becomes overused to the point where it seems to be the same footage used again and again. But once the time comes to kill the Blood Countess, the movie picked up once more and kept me on the edge of my seat until the end.

All in all, a great beginning, a decent middle, and a great ending.

The Blood Countess is Real

Author: Burdendrkd from United States
28 September 2006

Some know the book that was mentioned in the movie about the account of the incident that happened in the castle was called 'The lady in blood' which held the account. When I checked on somethings, I found the actual case file that happened. The actual book was called 'The Blood Countess' which goes into detail on what the investigators found in her castle. It shows that the countess never came to the USA but stayed in Hungary where her castle still stand however is ruins now. From what I read was terrorifying from what I read. Like what the movie indicates is that a lot of the records weren't either kept cause of the fact a lot of what they found was terrorifying or they just didn't want to remember what they saw.

Great movie for people who love survival horror games.

Author: putz3333 from dover, ohio
22 September 2006

I was pleasantly surprised. Especially with everyone bashing it on here. Not huge on the gore but plenty for a pg-13 rating. acting was not the best in the world but i've seen a heck of a lot worse lately. It's slightly campy, but what do you expect with a horror movie that has the kid from Malcolm in the middle in it. Lots of shock scares from beginning to end. was a little disappointed in one part that ripped off the ring and juon. The concept behind it was really a fresh breath into newer horror films.

Fun for survival horror game fans, horror movie fans, Malcolm in the middle fans and some historical murderer that i can not mention for fear of breaking the spoiler clause.

Much more enjoyable than Doom and most films out at the moment

Author: Billy Bifocals from Leeds, Beeston (where they make the bombs)
19 September 2006

I have just watched this film and i did think it was very good. I really don't agree with the other post that slags it off claiming it to have had a $20 budget, it makes me sick when people like this guy don't appreciate decent enough films. If you want to see a $h1t film then go find "Man-Thing", i watched that about 3 hours ago and that is god awful, supposedly having the same budget as Punisher which wasn't a bad film, but Man Thing is a terrible film.

I did enjoy watching Stay Alive, I have always been a big fan of scary games such as Fatal Frame and i found the in game cgi very impressive. It just gets under my skin when people slag off half decent films when there are god awful ones out there like Doom, based on the world renowned best seller, Doom could have been so much better but they threw that together, i don't agree with the comment about this film being thrown together.

I've said my piece, just don't be too quick to criticise films because there are some truly awful films out at the moment and putting down half decent ones just puts of producers from making other.

Cheers Billy

Points for originality

Author: fregert-1 from Sweden
24 August 2006

I love good horror movies. Even if I don't always get scared, I usually get entertained. This is important to know regarding this review. As long as clichés, stupidity and exaggerations are kept to a minimum, chances are I'll enjoy the horror movie in question. In the case of "Stay Alive", I didn't get particularly scared, but quite entertained. And it scored points for originality. The angle with a deadly video-/computer game felt fairly fresh to me. Also, clichés/stupidity/exaggerations WERE kept to a minimum, which was great. "Stay Alive" isn't even very bloody, the violence isn't jacked up to the max, and there's no nudity or sex scenes. People who expect/demand lots of blood, sex and violence in horror movies should probably avoid this one. This does not make "Stay Alive" a boring, Disney-version of a horror movie, it's just not a typical slash/sex-flick. The acting is surprisingly good, especially for such young actors in this type of movie, there are elements of truth in the plot (regarding The Countess) and efforts seem to have been made to keep "Stay Alive" from being another stereotypical horror movie that leaves few lasting impressions. If you want to see a horror movie with less blood, nudity and sex than usual, featuring good acting, a fresh angle and without the standard mindless script/plot, then "Stay Alive" might appeal to you. If not, choose another movie.

Really not that awful!

Author: julie_bartholemy from Belgium
18 July 2006

Well I'll start by saying I saw this movie twice, first alone and then with a friend who was too scared to go see it alone :p And yeah at some times I was kinda biting my nails... But I agree it's not the greatest horror movie of all times...so what? I enjoyed it, I really did, alright I did see certain things coming lol but I go to the movies at least once a week, and every horror flick that comes out I go see and really I have seen so much worse in the last months... Some things are a bit far out there, that's very true, but instead of always looking for the flaws to put on a message board afterward, why not just watch the movie and enjoy it, some movies are just like that, turn off your brain and just watch. I know that's not the intellectual way to go or anything but hey it's a horror movie, not the next Oscar winner. So if you're one of those -lets go see a movie and notice all the flaws and then put it on the internet to tear the movie down- kind of person, OK don't go see the movie. But if you're like me and all you want is just to relax and watch a movie then go...really it is not the worse movie out there...trust me I've seen the remake of 'The Fog' ;) And to show you I actually liked this movie I'm giving it a 7,5/10

I liked it!

Author: psychicgoochling from United States
4 July 2006

OK, so the plot was a little goofy. BUT the movie is meant to be a comedic thriller. Sure a few scenes were a bit much, but come on.. the general dialog was pretty good. Jimmi Simpson rocked it out! It may not have been a true blue horror classic, but what movie is now days? It at least made a changed up the cycle a little. Vampire, Zombie, Serial Killer, Cannibal... IT GET'S OLD! So take a Japanese hit (Ringu) and make it into a video gaming psychopathic witch tale. Tell me that isn't interesting! I can't wait for them to make the video game. The movie was good and a good franchise opportunity. I'm not saying you should rush to see the movie and I'm not saying you should boycott all work by the production company. I am saying that at least give the movie a chance and try to understand it before stomping all over the work. See it, enjoy it, IT WON'T KILL YOU!

An entertaining and exciting horror flick!

Author: richardfxd from United States
2 July 2006

I saw this movie a while back ago but, I just now joined and decided to review it.

I really left the movie with mixed feelings, I knew it wasn't the best film ever but, I actually enjoyed it very much! It was very entertaining and satisfying. I'm a huge fan of horror films and also a collector of Screen-Used horror film props and wardrobe items, so you can see I really love horror flicks! This film was very interesting and at times creepy. It really draws you into it's plot and grabs your attention. The Countess was a great new horror icon. The only problems I had with this movie is its very dull at points and lacks a great script, also the fact that its PG-13 meaning they can't show a drop of blood hardly and it leaves plenty of great opportunities for a great scene lifeless. Overall I'd recommend renting this one when it hits the shelves.

Scariest Part

Author: RubberDuckyYourTheOne from United States
12 June 2006

The scariest part of the whole movie is the fact that Countess Elizabeth Bathory actually existed. She actually tortured and killed girls. She was really locked in the tower and really said that one day she would come back. That was the part that creeped me out. Even though the movie is based around the video game, the women they are trying to defeat really existed. I didn't believe my friend when she told me this, so I did some research and she is true. Don;t believe me click here: http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial8/bathory/index.htm That's what gave me the creeps. People laugh but isn't kind of weird and creepy in it's own sick way.