IMDb > Stay Alive (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stay Alive

Stay Alive More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Awful dialogue, awful acting, utterly unexplained plot, and no disco

Author: McShanny from United States
11 February 2007

Talk about false advertising! I wasted an hour and twenty five minutes watching this piece of crap and there was not one leisure suit, not one platform shoe, no pointy-finger dancing, and not a single disco ball. I watched it on a Saturday night, and ended up with an awful fever, but it had nothing to do with the music.

Seriously, with or without John Travolta, this movie sucked.

From the opening scene, you will be asking yourself the question, "Where did that rope come from, and will it please hang me, too?" From its unabashed bias against the driving abilities of the Pennsylvania Dutch, to the shameless promotion of the apparently everlasting capacities of Alienware laptop batteries, to the cheap horror effects lifted directly from Japanese cinema, this is the worst film to hit theaters since The Grudge.

Fun N Games N Horror

Author: Charles Delacroix from United States
25 March 2006

I saw this flick this afternoon, after it opened here yesterday. And I really liked it.

I saw another review that compared this to The Ring. I see what they mean ... and to me this sort of suggests the two things about this flick that I really liked the most.

One is it's a good solid horror flick, built on a good solid horror story. Nothing super-original or exceptional ... just good, sound, basic scary movie type features from one end to the other. Works for me!

The other thing I really liked is that it's steeped in what I take to be contemporary electronic game culture. This is a culture I really just plain don't know at all except for snippets I get here and there. I'm 52 years old and a step son introduced me years ago to a then current version of the game Doom. I sort of went nuts about it for several weeks then deleted it off my computer so I couldn't get addicted to it again. And that's my sum total personal experience with electronic gaming. But enough that watching this brought back some of the old sensations ... not in a bad way, either. And the general young adult culture of the Game that this movie depicts sure looks authentic, tho others will have to comment more reliably on that. But it's a walk through a culture that I really enjoyed.

That combo ... Ring-like video Story on one hand, Here-and-Now Reality on the other ... and the way the two intersect ... horribly, this being a horror movie ... that's a sort of interlayering that I just really, really enjoy.

The acting and characterizations were all solid, Munoz deserving special mention in his especially convincing geeky characterization. Cinematography was good, scripting very solid, plot very fine, all the elements worked together to make a really cool, fun horror flick set in the young folks' gaming subculture. Check it out, good movie!

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: lorilou14 from Birmingham, Alabama
25 March 2006

I really enjoyed the film. First off, whenever I go to see a horror film, I never set the expectations high because no horror film is usually up for an Oscar right? But this one really surprised me. Taking the film for what it's worth (a horror film) I think it's really good. The biggest perk for me was the fact that it kept me interested. There is one major setback, the plot is laced with holes. You will leave wondering how a lot of stuff in the movie happened & have many unanswered questions but if you just want to enjoy a scary film, then this is the one for you.

Also, I think you'll enjoy it if you're a gamer, as I am.

Gaming gone real and horrific

Author: David Roggenkamp
2 March 2016

Stay Alive is one of those slasher flicks – yes, one of 'those'. The idea is that a game can haunt reality by killing off the gamers that play the game in the same fashion that they died in the game. The game is simply a beta, and due to it being based off of an urban legend, those that play it unwittingly unleash a spiritual force that vowed revenge. Sound simple enough, and it is a simple enough premise – the character have definite personalities – the fact they are portrayed as gamers and the fact the movie is surrounding a game, is a unique premise which makes it a very enjoyable watch. The deaths are hardly anything out of the ordinary, but the movie seems to play more with plot than anything else. Does the movie have a twist at the end? Not really, it is a slow buildup from start to finish and everything gets wrapped up as usual. Don't expect there to be a sequel.

Originally posted to Orion Age (http://www.orionphysics.com/? p=4829).

Entertaining enough entry

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
15 September 2015

After playing a cursed video game, a group of friends find themselves dying in the real world the way they did in the game and must unlock the secrets of the real figure at the center of it to stop the deaths from continuing.

This here was quite an enjoyable and highly entertaining effort. One of the better elements of this one is the utterly freaky atmosphere throughout here, which is highly impressive at making this far more chilling than it deserves to be. This starts with the opening play- through of the game for the first time where this one shows off the plantation setting and survival horror tactics leading into the recreation attack which is really creepy enough, as well as the different manners of his one featuring her image tormenting the gang while they're no playing the game. A lot of these elements are furthered as well by the implementations of the real-life figure here with the mansion-house housing her being based on the actual mansion, the use of the flowers and her black horse-drawn carriage being taken right from the real person and it manages to get so much right about the history and legacy throughout the course of the game-play that it brings about the great sense of fear here about the growing realization that the game is coming to life against them. This brings the action into play here with this one having some solid confrontations in the plantation being driving by the game-play, using help in the game to provide the tactics necessary to survive in the real world and bring about plenty of absolutely frantic action in the race to get her free after being captured along the way. This also gets quite fun here with the absolutely enjoyable finale as the battle in the bedroom nicely mirrors the game-play held below in the dungeon and the burning-down-the-tower finale is utilized for great effect finishing this one on a high note. There's a few minor flaws at play here, which really begins with the main character herself for as much good as it is in most respects there's a part of history it gets wrong. The century and location-switch are the most obvious though there are other, smaller features about it that don't really follow throughout. As well, it's a rather large leap here in the storyline about the discovery of the main figure tormenting them, as not only is there very little need for them to investigate that character based on the game-play being the first time it had happened, but they believe it with flimsy connections at the time and very little investigative work anyway. This is easily the biggest flaw here and hurts this one the most along with the tame-ness due to the rating in the kills. Otherwise, this one is quite entertaining.

Rated PG-13: Violence, Language and brief drug use.

This Film Should Stay Dead.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
26 May 2015

Stay Alive (2006): Dir: William Brent Bell / Cast: Jon Foster, Samaire Armstrong, Frankie Muniz, Sophia Bush, Jimmi Simpson: Irritating horror film about video game violence. Lame plot regards illegal video game that kills its players the very method that instrumented their death in the game. This is all too ridiculous yet it could have worked had it been presented beyond juvenile level of intelligence. There is even a nauseating sound that accompanies the danger that is about as scary as breaking wind. Director William Brent Bell plays with the notion of video game violence and its influence but his screenwriter wallows in stupid horror film clichés that ultimately reduce the film to a joke. The cast basically wait until it's their turn to die, and we don't care because the screenwriter's only ambitious is on how creative a death scene can be. If that is a horror film's prime ambitious then it's game over from the get go. Jon Foster plays the hero who has a fear of fire, which indicates that he will have to face this fear. Samaire Armstrong is pointless as a photographer who appears at the opening funeral. Frankie Muniz can do better than this, and Sophia Bush is there because she is dressed goth. It doesn't matter because these characters are only assembled for a graphic death warrant. Worthy theme derailed within a laughable film that makes it difficult to stay awake. Score: 4 / 10

I've seen worse.

Author: Jimmy Two Times from United States
5 November 2006

"Stay Alive" is the latest entry in the dying genre of the bad American Horror film. It's just another sad attempt at a horror film marked for your teenage audience. Not since 2004's remake of the George Romero classic "Dawn of the Dead" has Hollywood produced a GOOD horror film. And you have to go back to 2003's "Saw" to find a good, original horror film made by Hollywood. I give "Stay Alive" five stars merely because the story was halfway original and it did make me jump a few times. The eye candy of Samarie Anderson and Sophia Bush persuaded my vote as well. On more than one occasion I found myself shouting at the stupidity at the characters. It's bad, but I've seen worse - "The Ring," "The Blair Witch Project", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)" and "Signs."

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: Black Rose from Canada
7 October 2006

Interesting as it sounds, I was actually surprised at how good this movie was. Before viewing this movie I thought the concept was stupid and unrealistic, even for a horror movie. However after viewing I can safely say it seemed to be a very good movie.

It gets a 6 because after a while, the scares become boring and the sight of dead children becomes overused to the point where it seems to be the same footage used again and again. But once the time comes to kill the Blood Countess, the movie picked up once more and kept me on the edge of my seat until the end.

All in all, a great beginning, a decent middle, and a great ending.

The Blood Countess is Real

Author: Burdendrkd from United States
28 September 2006

Some know the book that was mentioned in the movie about the account of the incident that happened in the castle was called 'The lady in blood' which held the account. When I checked on somethings, I found the actual case file that happened. The actual book was called 'The Blood Countess' which goes into detail on what the investigators found in her castle. It shows that the countess never came to the USA but stayed in Hungary where her castle still stand however is ruins now. From what I read was terrorifying from what I read. Like what the movie indicates is that a lot of the records weren't either kept cause of the fact a lot of what they found was terrorifying or they just didn't want to remember what they saw.

Much more enjoyable than Doom and most films out at the moment

Author: Billy Bifocals from Leeds, Beeston (where they make the bombs)
19 September 2006

I have just watched this film and i did think it was very good. I really don't agree with the other post that slags it off claiming it to have had a $20 budget, it makes me sick when people like this guy don't appreciate decent enough films. If you want to see a $h1t film then go find "Man-Thing", i watched that about 3 hours ago and that is god awful, supposedly having the same budget as Punisher which wasn't a bad film, but Man Thing is a terrible film.

I did enjoy watching Stay Alive, I have always been a big fan of scary games such as Fatal Frame and i found the in game cgi very impressive. It just gets under my skin when people slag off half decent films when there are god awful ones out there like Doom, based on the world renowned best seller, Doom could have been so much better but they threw that together, i don't agree with the comment about this film being thrown together.

I've said my piece, just don't be too quick to criticise films because there are some truly awful films out at the moment and putting down half decent ones just puts of producers from making other.

Cheers Billy