IMDb > Stay Alive (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stay Alive

Stay Alive More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

a good film

Author: anelouise2 from Portugal
5 November 2006

well, when I saw the film I didn't know what to expect because I never heard about the film. To be honest I love the film... I'm a video-games addicted so just for that the film have interest to me. I can't say that the film is well made because it's not. The story is very well study but I think that the other things that need to be worked like the camera that sakes when October is running to Phins side, the actress that plays Abigail could have work more her character and I think that's ashamed to not see some people die, like the officer. But I still love the film. The film became on of my favorites, because I don't think that the films need to be 100% to be a excellent film.

a great movie!

Author: thematrixpathofneo13 from United States
3 November 2006

i just watched it today November 3 2006 and i was home alone and when the characters started to see things in the corners of there eyes i thought i did and i was getting really creep ed out.even though people say it is boring it kept me entertained and guessing from beginning to end.i do recommend this movie if you don't want to by it rent it it was very original to me and seriously it did creep me out and i don't really get creep ed out that bad by movies but this was more scary than the grudge!! i swear rent it it is a decent film but i still say rent it because it has cool effects it is violent in some parts and it will kind of keep you guessing so i do recommend it rent it it is creepy and good in my opinion.

better than what some might believe...

Author: pyrobabe13 from United States
27 June 2006

Granted it was rated PG-13 for a wider audience range, but it was still a great movie. I am a horror and suspense movie junkie- I love anything than might be able to get me to jump out of my seat or at least get me to pull my feet up from the floor and sit on them. I got that, and loads more from this movie. The concept is one that every gamer has had, and this just brings it into light. Maybe it's because I played too much Silent Hill and Siren when I was in high school, but this movie really brought out the 'what if' thoughts that have been circling in my head since I first picked up a controller. But don't take my word for it- check it out for yourselves!

Pretty Good

Author: yeaimdaman73 from United States
3 April 2006

I personally liked this movie.It was pretty entertaining at points.There's only a few flaws.Like one some of the acting was off.Example lets say if someone suppose to be worried they wouldn't look worried.Another is puttin Frakie Muniz in this movie.No disrespect.He made a good addition.Its just that I've seen him in comedies lookin worried and when he looked worried here I'm thinking bout the comedys.But anyways,Another is the way it ended.I ain't gonna spoil it cause thats not me.Other then those things the movie was entertaining.My suggestion to you if you like scary films and u wanna watch one,take your ten dollars and check out this movie.

Stay Alive:The Video game to Die For

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
22 March 2007

A group of young adults open a plain of escape for the spirit of Elizabeth Bathory when they recite her poem from a video game supposedly representing a séance. The only one who dies in the game is Miller(Adam Goldberg)who also is found dead the same way he perished in said video game. While the others' characters didn't die in the video game, their reciting her poem has instead unleashed the video game into reality with walking CGI characters stalking and killing each of them, one by one. They must follow certain methods using a mirror and nails to defeat Bathory and save their skin.

If this premise sound stupid, that's because it is. The characters are ho-hum rejects from bad WB television shows, this time allowed to spout profanity. This flick follows the slasher rules, but doesn't show much violence or gore. It stays PG-13 safe with most of the death taking place off-screen. There's a scene where the true hero and heroine are running from video game characters pursuing them. Yes, it's that bad. Nothing at all to recommend. Good-looking cast including Sophia Bush as the appropriately named October.

Glad I went!

Author: ecs_sanchez from London, United Kingdom
1 September 2006

When I saw the preview in the cinema, I commented that I did not want to see the movie - I generally do not go in for 'horror' movies ... I get too scared! However, by the time the 'Stay Alive!' came out I had forgotten the preview and as my grown-up son is very into video games, along we trotted to see it.

Well, I was glad we went! Yes, I was 'sat on the edge of my seat', so to speak, for most of this fast moving, exciting movie, which was excellently acted by the mainly twenty-something to thityish cast, including the familiar face of 'cult-hero' Frankie Muniz ('Malcolm' from 'Malcolm in the Middle' fame!). And it is a movie that really makes you think - on a lot of different levels.

The story-line of a video game that was more than a video game was intriguing, and following the friends as the truth dawned and they sought the solutions and pitted their game-playing, problem solving skills added depth, and gave an insight into the online-video-game-playing culture that is an important social interaction setup for so many young people these days.

Regarding the Computer Generated Images effects that 'intrude' into the 'real world' of the movie, I found them very effective. Subsequently I read a review that criticised along the lines that the CGI effects were somewhat crude/basic. Asking my son, who is somewhat of an very knowledgeable user in this field, about this he confirmed that that the graphics were true to this genre of video game - to introduce CGI of the level of, say, DreamWorks, would have been untrue to the theme of the plot.

Well done everyone concerned!

Did You Really Expect This To Be Good?

Author: gavin6942 from United States
14 December 2006

A group of geeky kids, surprisingly not all living in their parents' basements, stumble across an underground game - "Stay Alive". But they're in for a treat: when you die in this game, you're going to die in real life, too! This is an amateur effort from both the writer and the director, whose names I don't recall. In all fairness, for a first time effort, this film was watchable and in some ways quite entertaining. It wasn't wonderful, or scary or much of anything else... but good enough that it seems to help people pass the time. Which, in the end, maybe is all we can hope for from movies.

I liked the video game theme. Unlike the Internet theme of "Fear Dot Com", this was more realistic and the game featured in the movie was the sort of game I could actually see people playing. It reminded me of "House of the Dead", which is too bad now that Uwe Boll ruined that arcade classic. The video game references to Fatal Frame ,the Konami code, and the word "w00t!" were nice touches, and I got the sense that the writer actually knew something about video games. Which is a huge plus. The Mario Brothers "1up" sweatshirt was also a nice touch.

Now, the film has a vampire element because the villain is Elizabeth Bathory, who has somehow been risen from the dead and haunts a video game. Bathory makes a great monster, though maybe not in this movie. A lot of questions remain unanswered about this... because, seriously, if I'm a vampiress from the Middle Ages, I'm not coming back in a video game.

The cast was strong as far as the teen slasher genre goes. Jon Foster played Hutch O'Neill, the fire-fearing leader of this Scooby gang. My only complaint is that he looked like a dead ringer for Jamie Kennedy, which will ultimately boost or kill his career, I think.

Samaire Armstrong was the bleach-haired Abigail, who has a very strong role and exudes some kind of sensuality I can't explain. In one scene she's almost nude, but either her, the writer or the director ruined this... and made it really cheesy. How many girls who unexpectedly get hung upside down have their shirt tucked into their bra?

Frankie Muniz is in this movie, and not nearly as annoying as you probably think. For a 50-year old man trapped in a kid's body (like Haley Joel Osment and Gary Coleman), he's decent.

Sophia Bush was October Bantum, the rebel goth girl... as far as rebel goth girls go, she's alright. You'll find yourself (if you're a young man) getting torn between her and Abigail as your favorite female lead.

Last, I want to point out the great character name of "Loomis Crowley", which I can only assume is an homage to both Aleister Crowley and Dr. Loomis from "Halloween". If not, well, you still get the point for it.

Some of the game elements are a bit cheesy (especially when the game is outside the computer) and the overall story makes little sense and is very teen-oriented. (In other words, it has no depth whatsoever.) But it wasn't bad. You might want to save this for a night when you're drunk and just want something to be amused by without actually wanting to appreciate the film itself.

Not worth renting

Author: forgotten707-1 from United States
15 April 2006

Aside from Frankie Muniz chattering too fast to understand (Malcolm in the Middle flashbacks?) this film still cannot conjure up a scare. The idea with the "Countess" and the history surrounding her placed into the story was fun but the plot, and many side plots, just don't tie together. Plot synopsis: murdering ghost lures victims through video game. Toss in some blood spatters and a special effects and you've got yourself another bombed out would be horror flick. The ghost cronies resemble the ghost in "The Ring Two" far too much. The acting and constant and dramatic change in everyone's emotions is unbelievable. Save your money.

Stay Alive? More like Stay Awake

Author: TrippDigital
30 January 2007

The Plot: A group of young people with ridiculous names (Hutch, Swink, Phineaus, and October)are brought together by the death of their equally ridiculously named friend Loomis. After the funeral, they decide to divide up their late friend's belongings. Among them is a video game called Stay Alive. The group decides there's no better way to show their grief than to all partake in a little virtual bloodshed. But the more they play, the more they realize the connection between the game and the death of poor ol' Loomis.

The Production: This film is just another entry into the latest Hollywood craze of low-budget PG-13 horror aimed at cashing in on the junior high school crowd. The direction is sloppy to say the least with quick, music video style cuts that make the action difficult to follow. The dialog is so bad that it actually kills brain cells. The plot itself is so full of holes that we never even learn where the game came from or why those who play it die.

The idea behind this film, although not entirely original, had some promise. But the poor execution on both sides of the camera make this one big dud.

If you've ever got a craving for a "killing someone in a video game makes them dead in real life" horror film take my advice and skip Stay Alive for the superior Brainscan.

Atrocious slasher flick.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
30 August 2006

After the mysterious death of an old friend,a group of teenagers find themselves in the possession of Stay Alive,a horror survival video game based on the gruesome story of Erzebet Bathory known as The Blood Countess.The group begins to play the grisly game and soon they are murdered one by one in the same method as the character they played in the game.As the line between the game world and the reality disappears,our heroes must find a way to defeat vicious Blood Countess. "Stay Alive" is an incredibly poor teen slasher flick without any iota of suspense.Writer-director William Brent Bell doesn't have the damn clue how to make a watchable horror movie.The jump scares are irritating,the blood/gore level is almost non-existent and the story doesn't make sense.The dialogue is utterly bad and the acting of all involved is embarrassing."Stay Alive" is easily one of the worst mainstream horror flicks of 2006.Stay away from this stinking turd.