IMDb > "The Catherine Tate Show" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Catherine Tate Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Catherine Tate Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Am I bovvered....??

Author: jstallick from United Kingdom
26 August 2005

I totally disagree with the previous reviewer's comments, although obviously it all comes down to taste in the end.

Catherine Tate is a brilliant comedian. Some of the characters are so spot on it's spooky. Who can believe that the elderly character Nan is being portrayed by the same actress who portrays the sullen schoolgirl Lauren? OK, not all the sketches are as funny but it is worth watching for the absolutely hysterical moments that punctuate this show. Timing is brilliant and some of the characters will I am sure become classics. In the new series the hit rate is even better!

I think Catherine Tate deserves to be called the new Queen of Comedy!

No! This was hilarious!

Author: Sunah from Berkeley, California
23 February 2005

I laughed all the way through the one show I saw. Catherine Tate sets up several situations...in this case a housewife who jumps at the slightest noise, a new mother who will do anything to keep from waking the baby while people try to give her a birthday party, a hateful grandmother being visited by her grandson, and several others, and revisits their scenes in turn throughout the show. The premises are skimpy, it is true, but I didn't notice that until this other reviewer pointed it out because her characterizations were hilarious. I'm a Californian so I really had to focus to make out what some of the characters were saying as she uses various accents from all over England. I would be very pleased to see more of Catherine Tate.

This woman is a comic genius!

Author: Greg Couture from Portland, Oregon
18 March 2005

I beg to differ with the other IMDb-er who finds this show, and Catherine Tate, unfunny, trite, and so forth.

Her show comes through on BBC America on my TV cable service and I only recently discovered it. It might help if I had a slightly sharper ear for British accents, especially those of the "lower classes" (no offense intended), but I have no doubt that this lady is an extremely gifted comic actress, a virtual chameleon (assisted by some extraordinarily talented makeup artists), who has provided some of the most solid laughs I've enjoyed in some time.

In my book she's right up there with her fellow Brits, Mollie Sugden, Paricia Routledge, et al. and her Canadian counterparts, Andrea Martin and Catherine O'Hara. And let's not forget an American, the inimitable Joan Cusack, who deserves her place right alongside her peers from outside our borders. My enthusiastic compliments to you all, ladies!

The Catherine Tate Show and Little Britain are in different Leagues

Author: aidious from United Kingdom
2 October 2005

Little Britain is a very funny sketch show but it is nowhere near as well observed as Catherine's masterpiece. Compare Vicky Pollard and Lauren. Many assume that Lauren is Catherine's attempt to imitate and cash in on Lucas's Pollard. But the character of Lauren was invented long before that of Pollard and is a far richer observation of today's inarticulate, low-aspiring youth. Pollard is a much more surreal character, someone who wouldn't be of place in Royston Vasey. Lauren however is scarily real.

Also the 'Nan' is possibly the second funniest 'Nan' creation in recent times, second only to the slightly more sublimity that is 'Nanna' in The Royle Family.

In fact, the majority of sketches on the Catherine Tate Show are very strong. It is just that people assume that a show that has so many different sketches with such a limited number of performers will be stale, but it's not. In fact, it's fantastic.

I'm glad it's not just me

Author: Enoch Sneed from United Kingdom
20 June 2006

Having heard about this "prize-winning comedy" (a description the BBC seems unable to separate from the show's title) I tuned to see what it was all about.

I'm no curmudgeon. I love to laugh as much as anyone. I just found myself asking why I was being asked to find this funny. An old lady who swears like a truck driver, a snob who tells everyone off for their lack of manners then breaks wind at a funeral, a couple who are disgusted at finding "dried shitache(sic) mushrooms" in the soup at a restaurant. Just to take the last example, what am I supposed to laugh at here: the couple's ignorance of new food fads, the mispronunciation of 'shitake', or am I just supposed to feel smug because I know what is really meant by 'shitache'?

My wife (a teacher) tells me Lauren the bored teenager is all too typical of her students, but she was truly offended by sketches showing a woman with red hair having to enter a 'ginger refuge' where she could be with similarly afflicted people and kept safe from the prejudices of the outside world. Our son has red hair and throughout his school life was a convenient scapegoat because he stood out in a crowd. If he was bullied on account of his colouring and stood up for himself it was always his fault because we 'know' redheads have bad tempers. This 'comic' scenario left a very nasty impression.

I think the trouble today is that humour has to be seen to be terribly 'clever' and 'ironic' - you have to be able to get the joke behind the joke. I prefer the days when comedians were funny just because they were funny: Frankie Howerd, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson and - if you wanted character comedy sketches - Dick Emery, whose characters were broad without being spiteful.

I won't be watching Ms Tate again.

Despite the bad feedback....

Author: ellieloves from Australia
11 March 2009

Catherine Tate is a comedy genius!

You may think that a girl, at the ripe old age of 15, may have no taste in comedy or movies ... or well... anything. But Catherine Tate has a sparkle in her that is different to all the other comediennes out there. I mean: COME ON! SHE HAS RED HAIR! :D

Sure, her dialogue is repetitive and sometimes predictable, but remember: this is just comedy. I could say the same about: Black Books (which is the greatest show on earth) I mean what, man owns a bookshop, gets drunk - whats more to the story?

You must remember that everyone has different tastes, just because it doesn't suit your taste doesn't mean you need to "shoot miss Tate" (as one charming IMDb user so kindly put it), she's a human being and she's doing what she loves, making people laugh. And most of this is Catherine's own humour. so DUDE. SRSLY. I'm 15 years old and I'm talking like a friggin' adult here all mature and stuff!

But seriously, I'm not saying "WATCH IT! OMG YOU'LL LUV IT SUUU MUCH YOU'LL CUM!!!" because most likely, you wont. I'm saying "Try it out - you might like it. You might not."

Thanks.

Face? Bovverd? Look! Face? Bovverd?! Well, yes......

Author: newwavenewcraze from United Kingdom
31 July 2005

.....however, mostly in my case, "bovvered" = "although slightly bewildered, rather impressed."

I saw my first proper episode of The Catherine Tate Show fairly recently and I too beg to differ with accusations of Ms Tate's comic writings being sloppy or unfunny. From the punchy satire on Middle England's housewives who consider nannies with a regional accent as their worst nightmare, to the downright bizarre (the food van woman's ruminations on Archbishop Desmond Tutu) via gags that are genuinely disarmingly coarse (lazy nurse Bernie's revelations on the medicinal properties of yoghurt). I had plenty to laugh about.

However, I also have my reservations, mainly to do with Lauren...although the character herself is extremely funny, I do worry about that joke being recycled again and again in every episode, a la Little Britain. Granted, that kind of thing is probably testament to a character's popularity, but this may well be a double-edged sword both to Tate and to Lucas/Walliams; while it creates favourites with an audience, I can understand why it could fuel some criticism of being a one-joke-pony. Nonetheless, Tate manages to give her audience a slice of life in exaggeration; a classic device, but no less relevant or entertaining.

I have a hernia now!

Author: Sian Gregory from United Kingdom
21 July 2006

I think the Catherine Tate show is one of the modern comedies and comfortably fits with little Britain and the Office. She is truly one of the funniest women in Britian along with French and Saunders. And applies to all audiences.

With the character Lauren, she cracks me up so much, as you could say it is realistic but its a bit over-done, yet still hilarious, I'm 15 and at school we find ourselves doing impressions of her to our teachers...so it beginning to come true in some ways and a common attitude in todays "teenage society"

She can realistically take the micky out of ordinary people without being too over the top and too affensive, also looking genuine for example with the old grandma, she actually looks and sounds like one of those hags in England today who moan about everything (not saying all O.A.P's are like that!) In her early series she even mocked the ginger population and as she is ginger it was hilarious to watch her mock herself and me as i am "ginger", i couldn't stop laughing as it seemed so serious(but i say more auborn!)

She comes across as taking her roles very seriously and it comes out as a masterpiece of comedy and i hate the fact that its only on for half an hour. If its ever on where ever you are WATCH IT...it's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!BRING OUT THE 3RD SERIES PLEASE!

Not Better than Little Britain? HOW VERY DARE YOU!

Author: James Morris (jwm@a101.org.uk) from Newcastle, England
23 October 2006

To be honest this show seemed to come out of no where. It was given very little press for its first series and unless you know who Catherine was and what she had done in the past, you would never have fallen across it by accident. However even this couldn't stop the first series becoming a great success and achieving cult status.

Series 2 was very much more hyped up, sometimes this can spoil a show but The Catherine Tate Show - Series 2 (Out on DVD 30th October) was nothing less than pure comedy genius. The new characters just topped this show off and made it even better than series one. Catherine's 2nd series was on at the same time as Little Britain Series 3 and to be blunt, Catherine's show was everything Little Britain 3 wasn't, consistently funny, brilliantly observed and stuck to the short sketch format. Although a die hard Little Britain Fan, I have to be realistic and say Catherine's show is now simply better than Lucas and Walliams.

Why the third series of this great show (Which starts on 26th October at 9.30pm) is still on BBC2 is beyond me. This show is great viewing and would not be out of place in any prime time slot on BBC1. LB made the transission why cant this? Favouritism maybe? So to sum up if you haven't seen this show, buy the DVD of Series' 1 and 2 and Cancel any plans you have for the next 6 Thursday nights. This is a amazing show, one viewing and you will be hooked. There is speculation this is the last. I hope not but I have to agree that its right to go out on top, but this show will be a great miss.

Catherine is hilarious!!!!

Author: chris-butler-2 from France
10 June 2006

I think Catherine is great! i had the pleasure of going to watch the show yesterday and laughed all the way through. she is very professional but also very funny. In one scene she had to open her top and she'd stuck a picture of hairy man boobs on her chest. We cracked up!! then i met her after the show and she is so natural and down to earth. I don't think it's fair people dissing her and saying she's untalented because she is v.v.v.v talented and funny!!! She has been credited as the new dawn French and to be honest if you can be the new DF, then you have to be very special! I also suggest that you watch the new series as it is funnier than all the others. Well done, Catherine!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]