IMDb > "Space Symphony Maetel" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Space Symphony Maetel" More at IMDbPro »"Uchû kôkyôshi Mater: Ginga tetsudô Three-Nine gaiden" (original title)

A New Low

Author: zillion29-1 (zillion29@rcn.com) from United States
16 November 2011

This 13 episode series had so much promise. The opening sequence is fantastic - orchestral music, heroic images of the Leijiverse's greatest heroes, 999 chugging away . . . and then the show starts. The writing on this show is so bad that things just happen for the sake of convenience. People are on the planet, then they're off the planet. People die for no reason, technologies exist or don't to advance the "story", and some character's motivations are illogical. Queen Promethium's actions make no sense. Leopard's actions make no sense. As usual the mechanoid vs. human concept is fraught with stupidity and things that make no sense. As soon as I realized that this series was a direct sequel to the abominable "Maetel Legend", I started to see its faults. At least we didn't have to watch Hard Gear drink wine 15 times as he cackled. It's not ALL bad - the CGI Death Shadow was impressive, there are some nice character designs (when the A-team was doing the animation and not the underpaid Koreans), the music is good, and there were a handful of nice Leijiverse drama. But the rest is derivative crap - right down to Queen Promethium's ultimate weapons - a Death Star clone and a fleet of dumb laser-shooting balls. Don't show this to any non-anime fans if you're trying to convince them that anime isn't awful.

It is a wonderful story!

Author: vato129 from Sweden
16 November 2007

If you have watched titles such as Queen emeraldas, Captain Herlock, Galaxy express 999 then you are going to love Space symphony Maetel. It has 13 episodes which explains more about maetel and the queen of La metal.

I watched it and thought it was equally good to the other masterpieces made by Leiji Matsumoto.

The animation is well-done there are not many animés out there where they actually spend time on the animation, and who can't forget the graceful Galaxy express we see in the intro? I suggest you to buy it, cause it's one animé you don't want to miss.

10 out of an 10