IMDb > Freddy vs Ghostbusters (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Freddy vs Ghostbusters

Freddy vs Ghostbusters More at IMDbPro »

Can there honestly be a better fan film out there?

Author: spike_gta
13 January 2005

When I sit down to watch a fan film, I usually don't expect class A special effects, top notch acting or sometimes even a well written story. Freddy VS ghostbusters however packs all 3 excellently. I was shocked to see such good proton beams in a fan film, the freddy makeup is great and all the actors pull of the job while nicely fitting into their roles.

In my opinion the only thing that a fan film needs in order to be accepted is for it to be fun. Fun is an understatement here because of the likes of the effects, the talents of actor Jason Weiss, well executed scenes from the aspiring director hank braxtan and an overall excellent job.

If you like the movie then you may also want to see the two alternate endings, or the commentary, both which can be located at the official site for Freddy VS Ghostbusters (as well as their other brilliant shorts).

Best damn fan film. Period.

Author: from United States
5 January 2005

The greatest fan film ever made. Period. Hands down. This fan film just rocks. This fan film contains the quintessential pairing of good versus evil. With dazzling special effects, the Ghostbusters take on the infamous "Freddy" from the Nightmare on Elm Street films. This is a definite must see for anyone who enjoys an awesome showdown of 2 of the greatest 80s icons. Directed and co-written by one of the most prominent up and coming young directors in Hollywood, this film encompasses everything you would want to see in a Freddy Vs. Ghostbusters film. The folks at BraxtanFILM.com have outdone themselves once again with this production. I can't wait to see what they come out with next!

Incredibly silly but a good effort

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
7 June 2005

You could criticize Freddy vs Ghostbusters for being amateurish, but that would be missing the point. Hank Braxton did a wonderful job with the material and pays loving tribute to both franchises. To be fair though, it's mainly a Ghostbusters film.

The plot has Freddy tormenting the dreams of Denver kids again until the nephew of Egon Spengler turns up in town with his Ghostbuster Jnr. pal. After busting a nasty poltergeist in a bar they make it big in Colorado (a brilliant montage follows) and decide to investigate the rumors of Freddy Kruger. Will they be able to bust the dream demon once and for all? Watch and find out.

The only thing that really bugged me was the fact that the cinematography is far too static. Movies are supposed to move and too often the stillness of the scenes frustrated me and my attention wandered. It's really the only thing I can complain about. The actors were great and although they weren't hardcore professionals they still made me laugh.

Well, it's like the Ghostbusters only a lot more dirty, but I love it!

Author: eched
18 July 2005

Now this, this is not a great fan film, this is a great film. There are three things that make it stand out.

Number one: Its surprisingly good special effects. Shockingly good considering who made it. It really does look just as good as an old Ghostbusters movie and all the effects for Freddy look like they came from the first Nightmare film. Even the cheesy effects look the same, like the tongue phone.

Number two: It's sense of humor. Now, some might not like it because Ghostbusters has always had a dry sense of humor, while this has a very dirty and kind of Space Balls sense of humor. But, funny is funny and this is funny. I fell onto the floor with laughter when Jared showed up.

Number three: More winks then you could shake a stick at. This baby nods at everything from Evil Dead, to Star Wars, to the Matrix, and even Excalibur.

The only flaw that I can come up with is at times it fallows the first Ghostbusters to closely. The music number in the middle for example has all these shots in it that are from the first Ghostbusters, but this never really hurts the film and like I said the sense of humor in this film is very dirty so it holds its own.

I loved the whole thing from the B Movie opening to the you know it's coming, Freddy gets his last laugh or does he ending. 10 out of 10! This is a movie for the fans made by the fans.

An out and out success

Author: Dipso_Dom from Wallasey, England
9 December 2005

I stumbled across the IMDb page for this film while looking up info about the Nightmare on Elm St. series, and I was hooked. Visiting the official website for the movie I was surprised to discover that I could download & watch it absolutely free - so download and watch I did.

Good acting (for the most part), good directing, a good script & some startlingly good effects make this a hoot and a holler, and a must see for any Ghostbusters/Elm Street/fan-fiction lover.

While the Ghostbusters theme has been very well brought into this Denver-based outing, I did feel that Freddy Kruger's appearance seemed a little lacking in explanation, but as I have many more gripes than that with most feature-length, big studio productions that I watch, I can hardly hold that against this movie.

Far better in any event than A Nightmare on Elm Street Parts 2, 5 & 6.

And I thought auteurist cinema was dead! Hank Braxtan has proved me wrong.

Author: AssaultOnLogic from United States
1 March 2007

This deeply metaphysical short film realizes mankind's eternal desire for good to triumph over evil while on a more existential level it is kept in stasis, made concrete by the fact that in nature no one ever "wins" or "loses" per se. Instead (see: Ethical Subjectivism) there is a sense of vanquishment rewarded with acts of tribute and kindness from that populus who's sentiments are in accordance with the alleged "victors" These binary oppositions(winner vs loser, good vs evil, antagonist vs protagonist) become unbound at certain points within the film and our own preconceived notions of such abstract concepts are now made askew. Braxtan's unobtrusive camera style gives the viewer the freedom to meditate on such articulations.

Upon closer scrutiny, the film's veritable style unveils its objective slant which, at times, beckons the viewer to empathize with so-called "antagonists" of the film. For example, Chuck Branson, who, on a superficial level, appears to be a self-absorbed lazy bum, mooching off of his roommate. When he inadvertently becomes the victim of Freddy's cruel games, resulting in a most gruesome death, it resonates deeply within us all.

Fast forward to Neil Anderson's reaction upon witnessing the aftermath of Freddy's rampage. Not a single tear, not even a hint of affliction. One is forced to ask himself just how heroic our protagonist may be if he fails to display basic human emotions? How are we to relate with this character that is so insufferably mechanical? His thoughts and actions become intangible for us and the viewer thus dissociates his or herself from Neil and Hollywood's formulaic protagonist/antagonist dichotomy now comes full circle. We find ourselves cheering for Freddy after all.

The question we are left to ask ourselves after viewing this 35 minute work of pure cinematic brilliance is not that of "who won" or "who lost" but they are much deeper questions pertaining to our own faith and spirituality, internal conflicts and their external manifestations, modern society's compulsory perception of the ethical and of the obscene, etc.

Buy, rent, borrow, download or steal this movie!

Nice Film

Author: brad-348 from South Korea
9 April 2005

Freddy vs Ghostbusters was a lot better than I ever expected from a fan film. It has given me the incentive needed to go out and make my own fan films. Braxtanfilm made a really good use of the special effects expected in a Hollywood film but never in a fan film like this before. I say Hank Braxtan needs to keep up the good work with his films cause' this film has turned some heads. I never thought that I would ever see this film being mentioned here but it certainly is worth the spot. I just wish this film was made by Hollywood so that the filmmakers could get the credit they deserve from a film like this.

Warning: The following content contains movie spoilers, if you do not want to ruin the movie experience, do not read any further.

I especially liked two parts in the film. The part in the movie where Freddy killed Chuck with the bong and when Freddy killed Jared from Subway. These parts of the movie is what separates this film from every other fan film on the net

Worth watching at least once

Author: Edwardh1979 from United States
3 February 2007

There was definitely effort put into this film. Even though it was made on a $500 budget, the special effects took them several months to create. The acting is exactly what you would expect from a "fan made" film. Most of the bad acting seems to come from the females for some reason. They were obviously acting against their will for their geeky boyfriends and it clearly shows. One of the main worries I had before watching this film was if the actors were going to try to play the roles of the original ghostbusters from the films or were they playing as new and original characters. Thankfully, they are indeed playing as different characters that are related somehow to the original Ghostbusters and have a different office etc. I was glad I didn't have to sit through fan-boy actors trying to impersonate Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. Even though this film borrows a bunch of inside jokes from the Ghostbusters and Freddy films, there is a good amount of original humor to be found here as well. Overall, the makers of this fan film accomplished what they wanted and I strongly feel that they succeeded at it. It's roughly a half-hour long, so whether you end up loving it or hating it, you at least won't have to sit through 2 hours of it. Since this is a fan-made film, it is a free download from the creator's website at http://www.braxtanfilm.com/fvgb.html Enjoy

Who ya going' call... ghost busters.... naw, they've been out of business for years!

Author: J T from Canada
31 January 2007

I recently downloaded the movie Freddy vs ghost busters. Being a GB fan and remember the great times as a kid watching the movie, I figured I would give it a shot, because hey ITS FREE. So, upon downloading the film and view it once... I realized that this film captures and the feel of the original GB films. I have to say that the most enjoyable part of the film is the chemistry between the actors and the sharp and witty writing of the script. The special effects are decent considering that only $500 US was spent on the film. I understand that many casual movie go-ers may be turned off by the b-movie feel to the film, however, If you are willing give a spin you will be guaranteed a good time... if nothing else remember its free. This is the kind of movie that really shows the creativity that low-budget films inspire. Please support indy film and remember there is a squeal in the works ;)

Spiffy Productions review of FVGB

Author: Kevin James from Indiana
8 August 2006

This Film was the first one of BraxtanFilms that I saw, and I've been hooked ever since. Hank Braxtan is one of the main reasons I started film making and producing. Here are some +'s and -'s

+: 1. Great Props *I.E proton packs and traps*

2. Good Script *can't be any worse than AVP right?*

3. Comedy was great! *I.E. QUEERS!!!*

4. Awesome tidbits and attention to detail *I.E. Ghostbusters game in the Genesis and Freddy's mannerisms*

-: 1. some cruddy acting: *I.E.: Extras and Lead Actress seemed a little off on believability

2. Freddy isn't Robert Englund *sorry boys, Only Rob can play Freddy, but brad still was OK in acting*

3. Slimer= bad *sorry, it was corny, but ROTGB will have better visuals from what i've seen!*

total points: 8 out of 10

GREAT JOB! can't wait to see ROTGB in October!