IMDb > Terminator Salvation (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Terminator Salvation

Terminator Salvation More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 97: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Very Good...Until You Realize The Plot Hole

Author: dukevega from United States
22 May 2009

I'll admit the plot device of a machine that doesn't know it's a machine was clever, and I would liked to have found out a little more about Marcus' past. And Skynet's plan to wipe out the resistance would have done Sun Tzu proud. But all the way through, something was nagging at me, and not in a good way. It took me about ten minutes after the movie was over to realize it.

Skynet's plan was to capture Kyle Reese, John Connor's father, and take him to one of its bases, then lure John in to rescue him. Once he arrived, then he would be captured and both of them would be killed, thus eliminating the threat to it throughout the time stream. But here's the problem: the plot hole, once you realize it, sinks the whole movie.

Skynet never learned the identity of John Connor's father, so how would it know which human to use as bait? The movie probably could've been just as good without this little bit, but maybe the screenwriters decided to get clever and throw it in, I don't know. All I do know is that one bit ruined an otherwise pretty good film.

Not great but massively entertaining.

Author: helmutty from Singapore
30 May 2009

I have watched the terminator series, the movies are quite good. Terminator Salvation is the fourth in the series. One thing that disappoints is that there is no main terminator that goes killing humans like in Terminator 2. MCG, the director, did a great job especially creating the gritty and tough world. MCG proves that he can go from comedic action with stunts to loud whizz-bang and gritty action. But his story pretty much stays the same. His movies have always been a mindless thrill ride. That is Terminator Salvation.

The story: It is the year 2018. John Connor has grown up to a bat-man-like with tough voice. He is serious and leads a team to destroy terminators and Skynet. There is one mysterious guy named Marcus who does not know why he is in the year 2018. Can Connor trust him? There will be some mild twists. The action starts with a bang. Explosions, chase scenes and one-to-one fights scenes with terminators. They are intense. There were times that made my heart pounded like scenes where MCG aimlessly put loud music in almost silent parts. The music is good but not as epic as the past movies like Terminator 2.

Overall: It is a mindless action movie where almost all of the characters have only one goal in mind. Action is good and intense with explosions. Terminators' fans will definitely flock the cinema to see whether it is worthy to be in the name of terminator. MCG's fans will be proud that he has done a good job. Whether it is not like a terminator film, it will still be included in the terminator series. There may be a sequel or not...

Easily the worst Terminator film, if you can even call it that

Author: Velociraptor256 from United Kingdom
4 September 2010

There are two main problems with Terminator Salvation. First, it's boring. Aside from a Terminator-against-Terminator fight that takes place towards the end, the action is very uninspired, and little of what goes on outside the action scenes is terribly interesting. Say what you will about Terminator 3, but at least that film was reasonably entertaining.

Second, it doesn't fit in well with the Terminator franchise. It's drab and sterile compared to the other films, and though it can be argued that a post-apocalyptic film is supposed to be like that, even the brief clips of the future from the previous films had an atmosphere to them, which is lacking here. And some things don't make sense when you consider the franchise's history, either: for example, in the first film, Kyle Reese said that most records were lost in the war - so in this film, why does Skynet have a whole database of old news reports, and how does it know that Reese is John Connor's father anyway? Thus, when we hear Connor say "I'll be back" and then play 'You Could Be Mine' on the radio, it doesn't feel like a respectful homage - it just seems awkward and out of place.

As an action film, Terminator Salvation fails - and as a Terminator film, it really fails.

Too Many Explosions Not Enough Story

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
10 January 2011

I wasn't expecting much with SALVATION . I thought it was going to be a rather dumb Summer blockbuster full of set-pieces and explosions without the cerebral poetry and impacting imagery that Cameron and Ellison brought to the original just over 25 years ago .. In fact the scene where Kyle remembers the future where traumatised survivors huddle in underground bunkers scavenging for rats and using TV sets as fireplaces is one of the most stunning scenes in the history of post apocalyptic cinema . None of the other films including the over rated sequel come close to this so what hope for SALVATION ?

As I expected SALVATION plays out in a predictable manner . The only real surprise was that John Connor played by Christian Bale wasn't really the main character but was Marcus Wright played by Sam Worthington . Marcus has a dark secret but you'll be able to work out what it is long before it's revealed on screen . The only other real surprise is that there's so much action on show but this is to the detriment of everything else . For example if someone falls out of a helicopter in to a lake it's not enough that they swim for their life , they must engage in combat with Terminators . If you look at the trivia section on this page you'll see that several screenwriters were brought in to polish the script including Oscar winner Paul Haggis but one has to ask what they did to develop the story ? Did they cross out their colleagues work and pile on their own set-pieces in to the screenplay ? You're left with that impression

There's also a serious gap in logic in having so much action . In the original humanity is on its last legs but here the Human resistance has ample supplies of things like aircraft and helicopters . Considering humanity had been nuked many years ago how on earth are they able to refine the fuel for all these aircraft . As someone who grew up during the cold war the thought of surviving World War 3 terrified me more than dying in it . You can understand artistic licence in that radation sickness being ignored but when you've got a film where post apocalyptic field hospital can still carry out intricate heart surgery then someone on the production may be in need of a brain transplant

That said I did find SALVATION slightly better than RISE OF THE MACHINES and the cinematography is impressive as is the CGI and special effects ,. But it doesn't really have much more of a function than as a cynical money making excersise . I've recently seen all of the Universal FRANKENSTEIN films which ended up with introducing Dracula and the Wolf Man in to the series and you've got the nasty feeling that the next TERMINATOR movie might see a few Predators or Aliens get thrown in to the mix

Why was this movie made?

Author: JoshSharpe from United States
28 August 2013

I'm back. And I'm upset. I thoroughly enjoyed all three of the first Terminator films. The first two few told the story and the third was just plain fun. This however, was an unnecessary mess. The minute the movie started, I could tell something wasn't right. This installment takes place after Judgement Day. First of all, they brought in an entire new cast. They could have easily brought back Nick Stahl for John Conner and Claire Danes as Kate Brewster but they replaced both. Christian Bale is an ideal John Conner, I suppose, but I his performance was so emotionless that I didn't care about him at all. And Bryce Dallas Howard as Kate chose not to continue the the feisty personality that made so fun to watch. She feels like a completely different person here. The script is poorly written and so instead, the movie is filled with scene after scene of meaningless war and battle sequences. It is very average, cliché, mainstream, Hollywood entertainment (I wouldn't even go so far to say it's entertainment) I don't know how any fan of the originals could enjoy this movie. We learned and saw all we needed to know of the future and Judgement Day from the flash forwards in the first three films. The scenes that worked the best were with Helena Bonham Carter and Arnold Schwarzenegger but, unfortunately for us, those were few. I highly recommend to skip this "Terminator" film if you are a fan, as it adds nothing important to the series. I hope the new reboot will be better.

I'll Be Back... Now in the Future!!!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
9 June 2015

The first three TERMINATOR movies were all time-traveling capers in their respective eras of 1984, 1997, and 2003. Here, finally, in TERMINATOR SALVATION, we get to see the war between man and machine in the dusty post-apocalyptic year of 2018. John Connor (Christian Bale) is a soldier in the human resistance movement. Not yet the leader, he inevitably takes it upon himself to track down a very young Kyle Reese (Anton Yelchin), who will one day turn out to be his father. Meanwhile, a mysterious man (Sam Worthington) wakes up in an underground facility that the resistance fighters come across. Traveling through the barren wasteland, he soon learns of his origins and purpose. Admittedly, the plot is virtually a shoestring, keeping the events loosely tied together. But that's fine, because the real strong points are the spectacular and epic battles on display here. And yes, fans of the series, Arnold Schwarzenegger DOES make an appearance in this film. While some have felt that this movie was a let-down, I disagree. In fact, this is the movie that TERMINATOR 3 should've been!

Not Good

Author: kechhh from United States
20 July 2013

Not very good in my opinion.

Connor lacked any good characterization in this - I just didn't care about him in here. Didn't care about the half human half robot guy either - I actually don't even remember his name and I only watched this a few weeks ago.

The plot was completely predictable and unexciting. I could tell what was going to happen basically from the beginning.

And at least the others were semi-believable in its action. Connor breaking into a super secure futuristic robot facility? I don't think so.

Any attempts at a universal overarching robot-human-spirit theme also failed.

Finally, any attempt at nostalgia and comedy through Arnold failed. This movie did not belong in the series and it tainted the real trilogy.

Author: shmsmisc from United Kingdom
29 April 2012

Clichéd and dull. It looked like there were actors wearing 'Terminator' suits - they looked chunky and had none of the menace of the original Terminator.

Boring characters. They just seemed to have a check box method. Adult hero present? Check. Little child present? Check. Love interest present? Check.....

Then the Terminators. There were machines, machines everywhere...flying machines, transformer type machines, motor-cycle type machines etc....None of them were of any real interest.

This film was so bad it makes the third film look like the work of Shakespeare. The film just dragged on and on. They should have spent a bit more time on the storyline. I fell asleep in the end. Don't know how it ended and really couldn't care less either.

What was the point of the movie?

Author: jmcginn174 from United States
16 June 2011

WARNING SPOILERS!!! What was the point of the movie? That's the question I kept asking myself after the movie. What was the point of the movie besides making money and gearing up for the obvious sequel a few years down the road.

Terminator Salvation in my opinion is by far the worst terminator movie mainly because there is no point to the movie. No big secrets are revealed nothing new was done that hasn't been done before and better, and the story went no where except to make money and to get ready for more movies down the road.

The only actors that had any impact were Sam Worthington and Moon Bloodgood. They were the only two that felt alive during this movie. Christian Bale did a terrible job, and he's a good actor two. Which reflects badly on the director McG. After all he did direct the two bad Charlie's Angles movies.

The only real good thing about this movie were the special effects, but if that's the best thing you can say about a movie that isn't animated than that's not saying much.

Overall: A real disappointment, just skip it and wait for it to come out on DVD and rent it.

Pointless, stupid, pathetic

Author: GoldmundX from Netherlands
9 November 2009

I actually saw this movies months ago and for some reason I'd been able to block it out of my mind, together with the anger that was unleashed by watching it. But apparently it wasn't buried very deep and an unfortunate link on a website brought the whole damn thing back to me. So now I'll try and deal with it here and then lay it to rest for once and for all (and then nuke it). This movie is a disgrace, it's a shameless attempt to squeeze some more money from a successful movie-franchise, without even taking the trouble to write a good (or at least decent) story. The whole thing is pointless, the inconsistencies are mind-boggling, 83% of the movie makes no sense at all. Luckily I forgot most of the stupidities but some one cannot forget: - the 'climax' at the Skynet HQ: so John and Kyle are Skynet's biggest targets and Skynet's tried everything to get them and kill them - they get them/ trapped in their HQ and then only have one or two robots that fail to kill them? pffff - why does Skynet uses Kyle as bait for John to begin with? As Kyle is John's father to be, killing Kyle will erase John instantaneously - first John is very concerned that Skynet will find out about his secret base and keeps low profile, but then at one point he decides to blow up the mines around the base to get Marcus - surely that might attract some attention?

One of the most important points is that if you enter the possibility of time travel in story, you'll inevitably end up with the possibility of alternative realities and confusing, tricky story-telling issues and for sure, the former franchise installments were not rock-solid, but still they seemed to make sense and they made you care. And they kicked a#%. But this, this lifeless eyesore is a utter disgrace. Do not watch it, don't let the greedy, shameless makers earn a cent more for their unimaginative and lazy effort to make this 'movie'. Let us try and block it out of our common consciousness. Let's make it disappear. Forever and ever.