IMDb > Terminator Salvation (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Terminator Salvation

Terminator Salvation More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 96: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

It was a loud action film with no substance.

Author: stonemountainproductions from apple valley, california
27 May 2009

Christian Bale has proved that he is a fantastic actor. For me, this was just a paycheck movie for him. A very mechanical performance, in some scenes it seemed he never lets go of his Batman character. The movie itself was entertaining for the most part, but lacked the suspense that the first two Terminator films had. A quality that James Cameron possesses as a director that has been lost in the last two films. The screenwriters for Salvation can't decide who the main character is and what the main plot of the film is. Hoping that Salvation would revive the Terminator franchise, I was left with a bad taste in my mouth once again. It was a loud action film with no substance. Better luck next time.

We can rebuild it... We have the technology

Author: (p_man666@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
5 June 2009

The machines have taken over the world, wiping out humanity and making them live like rats among the desolate wastelands littered with human skulls and the remains of a desperate struggle for survival. Right? Not exactly. Let me explain. That description of post-judgement day America was heavily featured in the first two movies and is what we all expected to find plastering the scenes of salvation, coupled with epic Saving Private Ryan style battle scenes as the resistance make a futile attempt at stopping the wrecking ball that is sky net. unfortunately it seems sky net is not the unstoppable force that we were led to believe, with the resistance camped out in daylight, in plane-sight for anybody who cares to look and the terminator army comprising of a few T-600s (clearly sky net hadn't realised how susceptible to bullets these models were) and some rejects from the transformers movie. So John Conner (Cristian 'Master of Accents'*pfffft* Bale) has discovered that Skynet is after Kyle Reese (his father who is younger than him but went to the past to stop his mother being wiped out so john could be born and ended up biffing her and getting her pregnant, but surely john had to be born before hand so maybe he would be born anyway - i digress) and John must pick between his life or mankind... Oh yeah, there's this guy Marcus, who's not a guy but a terminator (which we all knew cus of the trailers) but they don't know on screen until half way through the movie, but its got organs, oh wait... i don't care anymore. It all climaxes with the rather disappointing raid on sky net (which proves rather easy for our hero, ya know, considering its the Skynet HQ... HALLO!) and then a thought provoking aftermath - "what truly separates man from the machines"... very poetic. It could have been, if the acting wasn't so undeniably "aaaaaangrrryyy", with Bale delivering his 'American-Jason Statham-angry' voice he used in his incarnation as batman. I swear there was even a scene where he was just shouting into the radio for no real reason... I understand why hes angry, roped into this heap of a mess, relying on its use of millions of dollars worth of FX and an orchestral underscore and nothing on narrative or character development or interaction that commits the viewer through emotion or engaging dialogue. IT Doesn't EVEN USE THE ACTUAL TERMINATOR THEME!!!! JUST THE DRUMS!!! The movie is rated PG-13 or 12A and rightly so, it features nothing cool what so ever, and very little violence to command a higher rating. There See a few small battle scenes, a lot of chasing (which, fair point, the terminator movies were all about the chase) and a massive chase scene with a giant robot, and some terminator bikes. These bikes have USB ports on them by the way... laughable isn't it. But wait, what the hell, considering the Terinators are unstoppable, i never seen one persons head get punched through, or stepped on, in fact, human deaths were very little, but with little action comes little deaths (except myself dying on the inside). You cant blame the studios for this, they are just trying to gain a new generation of people into the franchise... In case you hadn't guessed that was totally sarcastic, blame the studios. In focusing on a lower target audience they have eliminated the fans, messing up what could have potentially been the best movie ever. This movie could had easily been the epic return to form we all hoped for after the 'not so bad, but terrible compared to the rest of the series' Rise of the Machines. Instead were left bitter, twisted and a little dead inside that this diabolical mess was able to get made. The best bit is a brief fight with a CGI Arnie, which while the highlight of the film, shows just how unsatisfying and unoriginal the rest of the film is... Give the budget of this film to any fan of the originals and they could easily make a better film than this. And they could easily churn out a better script than this 10 page drinks coaster. OK, the effects are pretty good, just wish they were used to create something totally different from this. My advice is this, if your going to watch this, don't say i didn't warn you, this is grade A compost heap stuff. With the license they had and the money they used to make this, it could have been a spectacular, instead its a complete turkey of a film that without its high profile brand name would fall flat on its metal shiny arse and fade into the bargain bins... the only upside of this films release is that DVD prices for the original trilogy will plummet. bewsh 1/10 - watch T1 and T2 instead and bathe in nostalgia... avoid this at all costs because you will be disappointed, and empty.

Terminator Fans might find it a Tad Disappointing

Author: Medacakathareal from Reading, PA
22 May 2009

I've always been a fan of the Terminator series, T2 was one of the first films I can actually remember watching as a kid and comprehending the plot. As I grew older both Terminator films stayed a staple of my sci-fi cinema diet and both are landmark films in their own right.

Like a lot of people I was kinda bummed by T3, it was an okay film but a FAR cry from the first two so I was psyched for Salvation when I first heard about it, but as each successive trailer was released and the PG-13 locked into place I found myself worried that it would be a let down...

As it turns out its not as bad as I thought it would be, the action sequences are thrilling and gripping, the plot isn't all that bad and there's enough violence to make it R-Rated-ish... The acting also turned out surprisingly well with Sam Worthington (playing Marcus) and Anton Yelchin (playing Kyle Reese) being the two stand out performers. I swear there were times I Anton looked and sounded exactly like Michael Biehn who played Kyle in the original film and it was that fact (as well as a few other homages) that kept the hardcore Terminator fan in me placated...

But placation isn't the same as satisfaction, the film has its flaws, the bad language you'd expect in a post-apocalyptic world is suppressed by the PG-13 rating and Bale delivers an overly dramatic performance to a character we learn far too little about other than what we know happened to him as a kid... My other major complaint is the CGI used for the Terminators themselves, it really didn't look good and I found myself praying for them to go back to Practical Effects where things look solid and real...

Remember how relentless the Terminator was in the first film?? Well that is carried over here, these guys won't stop until their processor is dead, but since they're CGI for the most part it lessens the feel of real danger... Somewhere deep inside the Terminator fan in me was wishing to return to that dark skull covered gritty landscape we saw glimpses of in the first Terminator (this definitely isn't the future Connor's Mother warned him about)

Hardcore terminator fans might want to avoid this, it was better than T3 but still pretty far off the quality of the first two, still, if its a Summer Blockbuster you want then go see Terminator Salvation, you could do a lot worse...

Made by some fans for the fans...

Author: jedibearvt from United States
4 July 2009

I really expected a bad movie considering it was "Charlie's Angels" McG at the helm, but it actually had the same "B" movie feeling the other three had...I got the same great vibe from it I got from some '70s flicks like "Soylent Green" or "Omega Man"...intense stories augmented bu action and some interesting characters that don't necessarily need a lot of screen time to make their marks in the story.

The production was outstanding...this will a great demo disc on BR, especially with the sound design...very layered and intense. The special effects were great and everything from sets to make-up to costumes and photography was a step up from the earlier films, giving it an epic feel. It has a gritty look to the action that suits the setting and story perfectly. The physical action were really well done...it was refreshing to see some very convincing integration of the practical sets along with the now-standard CG stuff that blended well together and again, added an intense realism to the movie without being over the top. Stand-outs include the sensational "Harvester" chase scene and some "throwaway" moments like the HK air patrolling the streets of LA and toppling a building in it's wake and Connor jumping into the waves to meet the Resistance Leadership....cool, quick stuff that wasn't lingered on, but looked great.

Another surprise here is the choice of Danny Elfman, and his score sounds quite good...he gives the music a more traditional orchestral sound opposed to the over-use of synthesizers that many action films rely on these days. It was cool to hear Fidel's main motif pop in once in a while at just the right times.

Now the cast...as mentioned by many other reviews, this is definitely Sam Worthington's show...the story invests a lot of time in Marcus' journey through the film an it helps that Worthington does a really good job with his physical performance (especially with those little nods to Arnold's "stillness" along the way) and he comes across well acting-wise too. I found his struggle with what he really was provided the most poignant moments in the movie...a man trapped in a new existence as a Terminator, fighting to stay connected with his flawed humanity and looking for some kind of redemption for his own past and ending up providing a "salvation" for the resistance and it's new leader....cool stuff and an interesting twist on the whole "Terminator" story.

Bale was a supporting character compared to Marcus. Bale's John Conner seemed a little one-note with his performance throughout the film. There were some cool moments with him though, like when he pops on that GnR tune before capturing the MotoTerminator that brought back memories of the Connor character's motorbike stunts in T2. I also liked that it was pretty clear that not everyone in the resistance (most notably the higher-ups) though he was "all that", but the grunts in the trenches did...gave him an everyman appeal that was pretty cool. His best moments though, were the quiet ones...listening to his mother's voice for what must have been the umpteenth time to try and gain guidance and insight into the situations he found himself in...I thought that really illustrated just how much he really depended on that and how, by the end of the movie, he had to come out from his mother's shadow and come up with his own plan of action...his interactions with Marcus have altered his game and Bale did take us through that process...

Another show-stealer was Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese...he is almost literally channeling Michael Biehn (right down to talking through clenched teeth) as the young resistance fighter Reese. He really brought across the idea of a young man looking for someone or something to follow...and his interaction with Marcus really brought that out and Yelchin just nailed it.

Both of the female characters are a little short-shifted here, but both Howard and Bloodgood do a good job in the brief scenes they have. Neither come across as simple damsels-in-distress, rather it's plain to see that they both play important parts in the resistance.

Like the recent "Star Trek" picture, this one had a lot of visual nods (and some obvious lines) to the earlier films, from the cool opening credits looking similar to the ones the first film to a lot of physical gags from other movies as well, especially with Marcus. The action sequences were well-staged and packed some punch. And yes, the Arnold cameo featured some excellent work from ILM...very well integrated both visually and in the story....very cool.

The ending? The "leaked" one of having Connor killed and coming back as a Terminator might have been shocking, but ultimately it would have rendered the entire saga pointless. The current ending works much better in giving his character some dramatic pause as he goes on in how the war with Skynet is fought...the sacrifice of Marcus alters the future Connor has been expecting to unfold because of the messages from his mother...and now, the future is unknown and he has to lead the resistance based on his own judgment instead of the "road map" laid out by those recordings.

The main thing that really shines though in this movie for me is that it really looks like an effort by folks that really cared about the Terminator saga and wanted to do a great job. As with any of these "franchise" movies, there are always fans who disagree with the approach taken with the film or story elements or casting choices or whatever. But it works great for me...I hope this movie finds a big, receptive audience on DVD and Blu-Ray...

Salvation Terminated

Author: funnybonez6 from USA
6 June 2009

"Terminator: Salvation" directed by McG and starring Christian Bale, was a half-way decent movie because of some action scenes. But otherwise this movie was a waste of time.

Christian Bale seemed miscast as John Connor. He's a decent actor but he yelled too much. The biggest problem with "Terminator Salvation" is the absence of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The terminator series can't work well without him, in my opinion. He's sorely missed in this messy very loud movie. A generic robot can't replace Arnold , who defined the franchise. Overall while it wasn't the worst movie to waste 2 hours on, it didn't work up to the level of the Terminator series, not even close. 4/10

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: Hardeep Bains from United Kingdom
24 June 2009

I really cannot understand all the negative comments about this film. I am a fan of the Terminator series and truly believe that this film stays true to the original story and actually adds to it tremendously. Now we all know how rubbish T3 was and how utterly disappointing that was but the same cannot be said for this. I went into the cinema not knowing anything about what the film may contain and I did not read any reviews before seeing it. I loved it, and my wife, who is not a fan of the series,could not care less but did think it was good (not as good as I thought it was I hasten to add) so fans of the series may like it more. For all of you that have not seen this yet, go and watch it. You will not be disappointed.

McTerminator

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
6 July 2009

OK, I've questioned some ratings before, but for the most part I usually just let it go very easily. But I'm curious, how in the world, no, universe, does Terminator Salvation get a rating above 7.0? This was 2 hours of my life that I will never get back and I should've known better when I saw a director who's name is "McG" on the screen, James Cameron must be shuddering. This film had so much incredible potential but ended up turning into Action Film 101, I don't even think the title of the movie should have been Salvation, it should have been Terminator: Let's Blow *bleep* Up! The story was so beyond stupid, the effects are way over the top, they also were trying so hard to be liked by the fans that they stole every cool line from the first two terminator films, and what the F was up with Christian Bale bringing his Batman voice back into this movie?! Despite the confusing movie, I'll try to give you a clear enough summary.

In 2003, Dr. Serena Kogan of Cyberdyne Systems convinces death row inmate Marcus Wright to sign his body over for medical research following his execution by lethal injection. In 2018, John Connor leads an attack by the Resistance on a Skynet base. John discovers human prisoners and the plans for the development of a new type of Terminator incorporating living tissue, but is the only apparent survivor of the attack after the base is destroyed in a nuclear explosion. However, Marcus emerges from the wreckage of the base and proceeds on foot to Los Angeles. Meanwhile, the Resistance has discovered a radio frequency capable of shutting down Skynet machines. They plan to launch an offensive against the Skynet base in San Francisco in four days, in response to an intercepted "kill list" indicating that Skynet plans to kill the Resistance's command staff in four days' time. John learns that his own name is second on the list, following Kyle Reese. Nobody realizes why they must keep Kyle safe but Conor knows that he must send Kyle back to save the future.

Never have I ever wanted so badly to hurt a director before, I just couldn't believe this movie. Who was the main character? Who was I supposed to root for? Now I was 7 years old when I discovered the Terminator films, can't tell you how they changed my life, they were the reason I adore action movies to this day. But they were also more then action movies, they told incredible stories and were displayed on film in such an excellent way, I just can't tell you how wonderful the experience was. This was just agonizing, I mean, a retarded jellyfish could make a better movie then this. They kept going with a confusing story line to explain everything at the end and by that time I just didn't care. The actors, the story, the effects and setting of the film was just horrible, Terminator Salvation is a shameful movie and if was a person, should be shot.

I wish I hadn't bothered

Author: candy_flesh from Panama City Beach, FL
11 December 2009

I saw the original Terminator in the theater on a date when I was 13 years old. It was totally not the kind of film I would have chosen on my own, but within a half hour I was totally sucked into the story and by the time the credits rolled it was ranked in my top 3 films. I told everyone I knew how great it was, I even got my mom to buy me the VHS tape when it was available! Terminator 2 blew me away, plain and simple. I bought books and fan magazines, I started working out trying to get guns like Sarah Connor's, I was a die hard fan.

I was worried about T3, but unlike most people, in the end I loved it. I agree that of the trilogy, it is the weakest and sure there's a lot of things wrong with it, but I love the story, I love the end. I was completely gratified by the turnaround from the "no fate but what you make" theme, because I happen to agree with what's shown at the end of T3, you can't escape destiny, even when you think you know what's coming. When the credits on T3 rolled, I was 100% satisfied with the 3 movies as a whole, and happy with the way the franchise had wrapped everything up and put a bow on top.

So, I was not happy to hear about a 4th film, I felt it was unnecessary. However, I was willing to approach it with an open mind after the way T3 had totally exceeded my expectations. What. A. Joke. Aside from the multiple plot points that totally go against the history of the franchise...a heart transplant? Really? Come on, people. You don't even have antibiotics. And then ending it with Connor saying "There's no fate but what you make?" Umm..hello? Did you not learn a hard lesson on judgment day about not being able to change fate? Really the only good thing about this film was lots of whiz bang special effects, but that's not the heart and soul of the Terminator movies. This movie has neither & actually needed someone to give it the stupid heart transplant that Connor gets in the end.

not worthy of the name Terminator

Author: jamieleecurtiz from Canada
17 December 2009

This film has no soul... and surprisingly little inventive action. The cast is good (except for Bale's latest in a long line of loud, over the top performances). But they have nothing to work with in this film, which pretty much drops the ball for the Terminator franchise.

The first film is a classic. The second, is quite possibly the greatest action movie ever produced. Even the third film, with all of it's flaws, is still a fun, effective adventure story with a backbone and something to say.

This instalment however, lacks everything that makes the series loved. John has become a lone, dull, 2-dimensional character who's lost all of the vibrancy he once had. None of the characters are very full of life, even though they constantly talk about the passion of being a human being. In fact, the only truly passionate person in the story is not really a person at all, but a machine, thereby hampering the central message it tries to send.

There are no strong relationships in this film. You never get to know anything about anyone, so you never really care if they die. Also, the distinctive sense of humor which characterized the previous films, is nowhere to be seen. The television series Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles did a much better job of keeping this series alive, passionate and vibrant. Save yourself the annoyance and watch a couple episodes of the TV show instead. It's far better.

There is not a single laugh or moment of true sadness here, in a humourless, heartless film that takes itself far too seriously and doesn't even know what it's trying to say.

A hollow, mediocre action flick, not worthy of the name terminator.

Pathetic.

Author: myfrenbren from United States
25 May 2009

This movie was a joke. Or at least it made us laugh.

Why?

1. Unnecessary Arnold.

2. Outdoor open-heart surgery, not to mention no explanation of matching blood types, etc.

3. The Terminators made quirky animal noises, didn't sound machine-like at all.

4. The arguing between Bale & Ironside... terminators had more human performances.

5. Couldn't Skynet have reprogrammed Marcus Wright once he plugged into the system. When it said "synced' I assumed he would be rendered a bad guy, but no, he was able to mess with this supposedly conscious system quite easily. Skynet needs better virus protection.

6. No death. Not even red shirt level deaths. Just a few random people. Furthermore, the deaths on screen failed to make use of what we fear most from Terminators.

7. If you're going to make a series of movies, say a trilogy, the first rule is that each movie has to be able to stand out on its own, as an individual series of events that have their own beginning and end. Terminator Salvation never has this feel, that there's a bigger picture, that there's more. It just seems like whatever's next, they'll just make it up as they have to.

All in all, a bummer.