IMDb > Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Age: The Meltdown

Ice Age: The Meltdown More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 26: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Enjoyable, near-identical sequel to Ice Age.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
7 May 2006

The first Ice Age movie was pretty good - excellent animation, funny moments, slightly bland story - and it's virtually the same with this sequel. Many of the same actors return to provide the vocal work for their characters, with a few new voices this time around (like Queen Latifah as a VERY weird woolly mammoth). Just as in the first film, the voice acting is the thing that really makes the film entertaining, with John Leguizamo doing an especially good job as Sid the sloth. The animation is once again superb, but in all honesty the advances in technology over the past decade mean that ALL new animated movies look good (to praise the animators is almost as unnecessary as saying that cereals taste good with milk!) Once more, the storyline is the weak link in the overall scheme of things - it's just a very plain, straightforward tale of friendship and adventure, which passes the time servicably enough without ever reaching a level one might call outstanding.

Sid the sloth (voice of John Leguizamo), Manny the woolly mammoth (voice of Ray Romano) and Diego the sabre-tooth tiger (voice of Dennis Leary) are, at the start of the story, living in a walled valley. The weather has warmed up considerably since their first series of adventures, and the ice covering the world seems to be melting. The creatures living in the valley learn that the huge wall of ice next to their home will shortly melt and give way to a great sea of water that could quite possibly wash away them and their homeland. The only hope is for all the creatures to embark on a long trek to the other end of the valley, where a massive tree trunk shaped like an ark can be used to help them survive the imminent flood. During the journey, the creatures have numerous adventures including being pursued by shark-like predators. Manny also has to face up to the possibility that he may be the last of his species, for it has indeed been a long time since anyone saw another woolly mammoth.

Leguizamo makes all the best one-liners his own, in particular a brilliant moment where his character Sid utters: "Gee tomorrow the flood's gonna come and we're all gonna die".... then, having made this terrifying prophecy, falls to sleep a fraction of a second later! Sid also has a rib-tickingly funny scene where he is mistaken as a God, and gets his tribe of "followers" copying his every movement. The character Scrat is also back - you may remember him as the rodent perpetually trying to get hold of that elusive nut - and once more there are amusing slapstick gags involving his attempts to eat. The film, at 91 minutes, is of a very appropriate duration and doesn't outstay its welcome.

To summarise, if you liked Ice Age you'll like its sequel; if you didn't, you won't. They really are almost identical films in many aspects.

Not as good as the first

Author: orbrium from Utah
17 April 2006

I give it a 5 because I was laughing so hard still but I thought that the story and plot were severely and extremely lacking. I didn't appreciate the double meaning swear word jokes with my 3 year old daughter. This one seemed a bit more...for mature audiences though kids will still like it for it's visual eye candy entertainment and occasional slap stick comedy. It seemed like we were seeing Scrats movie every five minutes. I also didn't think the villain characters were very dimensional. They looked evil and they were without anything said at all. Parts of the story were very predictable. But on the whole I rather enjoyed it. It had some very funny lines and parts to it that kept me going well through the movie.

Sure made me melt and warmed my heart :)

Author: fantasyescapist from United Kingdom
11 April 2006

Seen the first only a few weeks before on the telly and I rushed at the chance to see the second - and it's a really good film! I saw some trailers for other films and there was one that had an ant with glasses on going 'Expecto Petronum' or something - funny.

As for the film, I don't think the plot is as strong as the last one, but the humour in this was increased with more of Scrat(hilarious), Ellie the mammoth, who thinks she's a possum(loved the voice-over done by Queen Latifah) and those two possums - Eddie and Crash - which are creations of comic genius! Kind of remind me of Timon and Pumbaa in a way, plus there was a lot of references to "The Lion King" and "The Land Before Time" in the film - or am I mistaken? This is actually my first ever CG animated film I've ever watched on the big screen(saw Toy Story on video) and a lot of time, when a character had a close up, it was like you could reach in and touch them! I longed to stroke Manny's fur. I do love when he says that his fur makes him look 'poofy' and not fat - great line.

I went to a 2:20 showing and there was a lot of little kids there, but thank God, I watched the film in peace and their comments amused me. A little boy kept saying: 'Mummy what's happening'? 'Mummy, did he die?' Mummy, what's that?', which I thought was very cute, aw. It didn't bother me too much anyway.

Scrat reminds me of those old Cayote and Roadrunner cartoons. He has the same running joke and it never gets old, kind of like Looney Tunes really.

The music in the credits(no, I didn't stay till the end, end) was catchy:)

A good sequel

Author: Richard Meyer from New York, USA
3 April 2006

This film is a good sequel, but it never quite reaches the cracking fun heights of its forebear. Our previous heroes are all there, along with a few new ones, but I didn't find myself bonding much to the new characters.

Scrat-the-Squirrel is as ever hilarious, but he's more obviously used as patched-in scenes to liven up the otherwise rather slow pace of the film. I felt that if you put all the Scrat sequences together you'd have an excellent short! Technically the graphics are very good, and it must have taken a deliberate effort to preserve the slightly dated style of the previous film. However, CPUs must have been humming to process every droplet as water splashes are clearly the big innovation for this movie.

Kids will love the film and burst out laughing at the slapstick humour, parents will sit through it painlessly enough, enjoying a few more subtle jokes, but overall Ice Age "The Meltdown" doesn't quite live up to the very high expectations of folk who've seen the first film.

Not as good as the first, but still great!

Author: returnofsaturnnxd from United States
3 April 2006

First of all, I loved the first Ice Age movie so I ran and saw the second one when it came out.

Of course, no sequel is ever as good as the first, but Ice Age 2 can hold it's own. It has some really funny parts that had even my boyfriend laughing.

I would have to say the main part that I didn't really care for was the introduction of the girl mammoth, Ellie. I didn't like how they built her character and the fact that she thought she was a possum. I just found that unnecessary to the story. There are some extras in the movie that come off more lame than funny.

As for the good parts, you get an expansion on your favorite characters Manny, Sid, and Diego. All voice talents do wonderfully.

If I were you I would go see this movie it is worth the 8 bucks.

Successful sequel

Author: Vicentiu Ungurean from Bucharest, Romania
3 April 2006

Most pictures don't have a sequel that measures up to the original... Ice Age 2 proved this theory wrong, as I believe it is one of the best animated pictures I've ever seen. The characters are strong, the dialogs are funny and to some extent sarcastic. A well written plot and a good story-line captivates the audience that wonders what could possibly follow... The interruptions of the plot (the sideline story about the ever greedy little squirrel) doesn't bother the viewer, it makes him relax, take a brake from the action, and have a good laugh. A movie not only for the kids (I don't think the kids are the first target of this movie) but for the entire family and it definitely pays going to the cinema and having a good time with your family or friends! An excellent job, an excellent movie...

Pretty tedious

Author: kaelcarp from United States
2 April 2006

I took my 3-year-old son to see this the other day, and I was somewhat disappointed. While it's a visual splendor, not a whole lot happens in it and it drags a lot. It says something that both I and my son were bored by it. Halfway through, he started begging me to go home, so we left before it was over. The pace is too slow for a kids' film, and the story is too minimal for an adult to enjoy much. While the characters are pretty well done and the voice acting is good and appropriate, the characters aren't given a whole lot to do. The whole story is them basically walking from one place to another at a mammoth's pace, and not a whole lot of interest happens for a good chunk of it. When there finally is some action, it is over in a flash and it's back to the mammoth walk.

So bad it hurts to type

Author: cdoelle (cdoelle@gmail.com) from Houston, TX
20 April 2006

Conventional wisdom tells you to run from sequels... well, unless it is a sequel to an animated film like Toy Story. Conventional wisdom wins out with Ice Age 2. Now, before you think I am just not a fan of the franchise, let me say that I found the original Ice Age a very enjoyable film. This new one - not so much.

Dave said it best when he pointed out to me that the first one had two levels of humor - the 3rd grade stuff and the adult stuff. The silliness and hijinx of the characters was visually funny as well. In IA2 The Meltdown, all of the adult stuff is gone or comes much later in the movie. (I have to admit that I quit watching after about 20 minutes... I just couldn't bear it anymore.) The kiddy humor is intact, but it is not slapstick comedy or even good jokes, it is silly faces on creatures and quite possibly the worst writing I have seen in years. The writing team of Peter Gaulke and Gerry Swallow are the masterminds behind that classic of comedy - Black Knight (and thats the good stuff.) These guys suck too much to be called bad.

It doesn't matter how many high-profile, talented actors voice the words. When the words suck - the film sucks... and this one does.

I LOVED this movie !!!!!

Author: DonnaGraysonDotCom from Hollywood, California
9 April 2006

I just absolutely loved Ice Age The Meltdown. The animation is fantastic. The jokes are hysterical. Its one of those movies that both adults and children can enjoy. Completely great. Ray Romano and Queen Latifah have the perfect voices for the Mammoths. John Leguizamo and Denis Leary are great too.

I just loved the entire story line with Diego, and then Ellie the Mammoths story of growing up. Everything was so touching, yet really funny.

And Scrat keeps showing up, so he makes everything great.

This is a wonderful movie for the entire family. I plan on seeing it twice !

Dull

Author: ioolie from United States
9 April 2006

I found this movie to be dull, plain and simple. The characters were not interesting or engaging, the plot was lame, the danger to the characters was nonsensical. The movie creators seemed to want to make global warming extra-scary so they put in those 2 crocodile-like creatures, who appear now & then but don't really add up to much of a menace. I kept thinking there would be a twist on the plot to show that the saber-tooth tiger was the last of his species, instead of the woolly mammoth, but that never materialized either. I guess my problem with a movie like this is that I think of The Lion King as the gold standard. If The Lion King deserves a 10 (it does), this movie gets a 4. But having said all that, I have to also say that my 8-year old loved it, and I agree that the scrat sub-plot was entertaining. Without him, this movie certainly not be worth the price of admission.