IMDb > Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Nearly Flawless

Author: mrw8 from United States
18 March 2006

Highly enjoyable film. Nary a dull moment as Diego, Sid and Manny find their way through the meltdown. The peril found in the first Ice Age movie was not duplicated here. The danger wasn't as imminent due to the fact that the meltdown is partly a blessing, while the ice age itself was all bad. A subtle flaw but not something the creators could avoid unless they wanted to make a "Mid-Ice Age" movie. How the tribe survived multiple thousands of years is not addressed, but who cares? Maybe they were actually living on the ecuator in the first movie and the ice caps just reached them in the final years of the ice age. A decade later, the climate warms up and causes the mixed emotions found in Ice Age II. The central theme of friendship in spite of differences and the humor found in trying situations plays well. Overcominging fears in the face of danger is a prominent theme. Jokes fly fast and furious for all ages. And the proto-squirrel steals our hearts with his absolute devotion to caching acorns. A strong production for Twentieth Century Fox.

A Nutshell Review: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
29 March 2006

Similar to the first Ice Age, the promotional material for the sequel was out in the theatres way in advance, and courtesy of the Scrat character too, up to its usual antics of getting to that elusive acorn. Here, Scrat opens the movie, and emulating the style of the first, he provides most of the laughs, also as an intermission from the actual scenes from the main cast.

Our gang of prehistoric animals are back - Manny the Mammoth (voiced by Ray Romano), Sid the Sloth (John Leguizamo) and Diego the Sabre-tooth Tiger (Denis Leary). We learn that Sid has gone into the early childhood business, educating the young minds of pre-historic brats. However, I felt that this movie was somehow darker in tone than the original. While the original was one which dealt with hope, this one had its setting in extinction, disaster and death.

The valley which they live in is threatened by the melting ice, no thanks to global warming. So all the animals embark on a journey to salvation, to that rumored ark which will save them from the massive floods to come. Along the way, our trio meets up with another trio of characters, who were added to expand the cast, featuring 2 Possums Crash (Seann William Scott) and Eddie (Josh Peck), and another, but female, mammoth (Queen Latifah).

Needless to say, Manny's still anti-social, and Diego can't get along with those rascal possums who get on his nerves, and Sid's the "philosopher" ever providing the laughs. Various themes like romance (hey, we got 2 mammoths here), friendship, trust, and believing in oneself to overcome one's phobia get covered. Pretty wide scope, but they manage to fit in place nicely.

The villains in this sequel are pretty nasty, besides the looming natural disaster, we have two sea creatures with nasty teeth and attitude, as well as menacing vultures ever ready to pounce on the flesh of animals who have fallen.

But it's not all that bleak. Keep a lookout too for that mad sloth song-and-dance sequence, which has potential to become the next ear worm ala Madagascar's zany "you-got-to-move-it" song. The animation is as usual, top notch, and I just can't get enough of the photo-realistic ice and water landscape.

This is one piece of animation that doesn't rely too much on sight gags, of spoofing current affairs, but one filled with more witty dialogue and kept on an even keel with its interesting storyline. Though at times it might feel clichéd, somehow it excelled in its execution.

And that makes this sequel, as enjoyable as, if not better, than the original. Recommended stuff this week!

Laugh out loud funny!

Author: blubutterfly21 from California, United States
9 April 2006

I wanted to take my older kids to the movies for some family time. We went and saw Ice Age Meltdown really for lack of something better to see. (Looks like a bad year for movies again- on the bright side, we'll save a couple hundred bucks.) I am pleased to say, I loved this movie. I laughed so much and found it very enjoyable. It was much better than the first one and I don't know if I've EVER said that about a movie. The characters are witty and entertaining and Scrat gets a lot more screen time in his plight for the great acorn. If you liked the first Ice Age then seeing the sequel is completely risk free. A great film for young and old alike. Enjoy! =)

Better than the original!

Author: moviefan1725-1 from United States
1 April 2006

Ever since Hollywood fully adopted computer animated family films, there has been a great variance in quality. Some have been have great, and others aren't worth the film they are printed on. Pixar continues to set the bar with movies like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. A lot of people complain that no other movies of this genre are on par with Pixar. So what? Does that mean they are all bad movies? Not at all. If Finding Nemo is the gold standard, then Ice Age is the silver. The animation is beautiful, the characters are funny and engaging, the story is fast paced and moving, and most of all it deserves another follow up. The story centers around Manny the Mammoth, Syd the Sloth, and Diego the Sabretooth Tiger, making their way out of the great valley before the quickly thawing landscape floods the land. Along the way they meet two possums, and a female Mammoth named Ellie that thinks she is a possum. (Don't ask...you'll find out) They join several other species as they make their way to "the boat" that will carry them to safety when the great flood comes. They are also trying to stay ahead of two fierce sea monsters that have already been thawed from their icy prison. Also back is Scrat the Squirrel who continues in his hunt for his beloved acorn. Will our heroes reach their destination? Will Manny and Ellie find love? Will Scrat ever been reunited with his prize acorn? Will Diego conquer his fear of water? Will Syd ever find respect? Most importantly...will you and your family enjoy this movie? Of course you will! This is an excellent family film that mixes humor for both kids and adults. Some of the very young children my be a little frightened during the sea monster attacks, but it will by no means induce nightmares. The characters are still incredibly lovable, and the movie is very good at teaching the strength of family and togetherness. It's better than the first movie on all counts. My personal favorite scene has to do with Scrat vs. a school of hungry piranhas. When Scrat falls in the water, the piranhas snatch his acorn. Let's just say he does not take it well. This ranks high above other recent CG animated movies like Madagascar and Doogle. Personally I like the Ice Age films better than the two Shrek movies which I find HIGHLY overrated. Both my kids and I hope there will be an Ice Age 3. Is there any higher praise?

Quite an enjoyable adventure

Author: aharmas from United States
1 April 2006

There are several aspects of this film that I found to be very enjoyable: Its terrific animation, the delightful vocal performances of all the actors involved, and its irresistible imaginative charm. John Leguizamo shines as the heart of the movie, the sloth that inspires all of us to have a good time and gives us hope that there is still some imagination left in Hollywood. His creation and very talented vocal turn perfectly interacts with the other actors' styles. Romano's deadpan delivery this time has found the heart that it sorely missed last time, when it was a just boring attempt to leave his character with no personality. Romano has now found the essence of Manny and has some fun with it. He compliments Queen Latifah's lovely and goofy Ellie. Leary's Diego is not the showiest turn, but he also has some great moments.

In addition to the principals, the possums and the mini sloths are welcome arrivals, and there are some wonderful moments of nutty entertainment, as now computers can portray some truly wacky moments, such as the Berkeley-inspired moment in the sacrificial fire pit and the vulture "food" numbers.

This film is a throwback to what made classics such as "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and The Beast" work: solid acting and a good writing base. It's a commendable and admirable effort.

Scrat is the Star

Author: Maomao from Singapore
6 April 2006

Scrat brought us the most laughter for his extremely positive attitude towards getting an acorn. In a film, it is difficult to create a memorable character with no lines. After laughing at Scrat's funny and unsuccessful attempts, we need to reflect that life is a bumpy road and we should not give up easily.

There are several humorous one-liners, as well as cliché phrases. Some subtle; some blatantly obvious. We were probably smiling when one of the possums was doing the Robert Deniro's famous gesture in 'Meet the Fockers' (2004).

Suppose I am given a chance to delete a scene, I would probably pick the vultures' musical scene. The musical scene seems awkward and does not fit into the film nicely.

Interestingly, the voice actor of Scrat is Ice Age (2002) director, Chris Wedge. However, he did not direct the sequel, Ice Age 2.

Mao points: 9/10

Very good for a sequel

Author: José Luis Rivera Mendoza (jluis1984) from Mexico
11 April 2006

At first, "Ice Age: The Meltdown" looks like the inevitable sequel to the famous 20th Century Fox animated blockbuster, trying to cash in the success of the previous movie. Well, despite being exactly that, this new adventure of the prehistoric mammals manages to stay on its own legs and delivers nothing but great fun becoming a worthy sequel. That alone is an achievement in its own right.

After some years living in peace in a new pack, our old friends Sid the sloth (John Leguizamo), Manny the Mammoth (Ray Romano) and Diego the Sabertooth tiger (Dennis Leary) discover that the ice is melting and a flood will cover the valley they now call home. Soon they organize a migration, but the trip won't be easy, specially for Manny, who begins to believe that he is the last Mammoth on earth.

"The Meltdown" continues with the style of its predecessor both in humor and animation, so those who fell in love with the original will love the sequel too. The difference however, is in the fact that now Manny is our main character. We get to know more about this character apparently anti-social and cynic, but who in the inside feels very lonely after the loss of his family. Sid and Diego make good sidekicks in this adventure and while their roles in the film are somewhat diminished, they still are very well-developed characters. Scrat, the nut-obsessed squirrel is back too in his constant quest for his lost nut, giving slapstick humor of the finest type in every scene he is in.

It is always hard for sequels to live up to the expectations, specially in family-oriented animation films, but director Carlos Saldanha and his team manage to make a funny movie that never gets boring or tiresome (something vital as it is a movie mainly oriented for kids).

While probably the story is not exactly original or complicated, writers Peter Gaulke and Gerry Swallow make up for it with good character development and funny one-liners that fit the movie tone very good. Two new characters, the young possums Crash (Sean William Scott) and Eddie (Josh Peck) are a welcomed addition to the family, as well as Ellie (Queen Latifah), the lost mammoth.

Ellie, Manny and their relationship is a very important subplot in the movie, and one that was perfectly handled by the director and his crew. While Diego's subplot was also interesting and served as basis for very good jokes, it didn't had enough screen-time; a shame in my opinion, but overall the movie was very good.

To summarize, fans of the first "Ice Age" won't be disappointed by "The Meltdown", and sure the movie will give laughs to both kids and their parents. While still not as good as the first one, this sequel breaks the "sequel's curse" and is an entertaining film on its own right. 7/10

A lovely film with a great storyline.

Author: Becky_Boo from United Kingdom
19 April 2006

This is a lovely film. Great animation and a brilliant storyline for an animation film!

The characters are all lovable and there are a few extremely funny parts in it! Just little phrases and actions the characters do is hilarious!

Ice Age: The Meltdown follows the animals on their journey to find dry land when they discover that their lives are at risk if they stay put due to the ice melting.......there are some little adventures and discoveries along the way though!

If you have seen the first one you will like this and in case you are wondering......he is still trying to get his nut!

I think it is a must see for all ages, not just children.

I did think the original 'Ice Age' was a better movie, but this one is pretty good.

Author: Movieguy_blogs_com from United States
4 April 2006

In 'Ice Age: The Meltdown' the gang is back. Manny (Ray Romano), Sid (John Leguizamo), and Diego (Denis Leary) find themselves in a post-ice age catastrophe. The ice is melting and they have to move the herd out of the valley before it becomes a lake. Fortunately, they do not have to worry about any carnivorous dinosaurs. They are all extinct, or are they? This was a cute film worthy of the original. The kids will really enjoy it. I thought the best part was that Scrat, the acorn-loving rodent, has a larger role to play in this movie. Queen Latifah is also really good as Ellie, the mammoth that thinks she is a possum.

Still cool but less solid the second time around

Author: badidosh from Philippines
29 March 2006

Manny the woolly mammoth (voiced by Ray Romano), Sid the sloth (John Leguizamo), and Diego (Dennis Leary) the saber-toothed tiger embark on yet another journey in "Ice Age: Meltdown, "the sequel from the 2002 blockbuster by Blue Sky Studios and released by 20th Century Fox. This time, ice is melting and a great flood is threatening to drown all animals in the valley in three days, much to the delight of vultures who are keen on having a buffet with the bodies of those who will be unfortunate enough not to outlive it. The only way to survive is to get to an "ark" at the other end of the valley. Along the way, they meet Ellie (Queen Latifah), perhaps the only other mammoth left aside from Manny, but unfortunately, thinks of herself as a possum, with her "brothers" Crash and Eddie (Sean William Scott and Josh Peck... who's who, I don't know because I never got to track their names).

"Ice Age: Meltdown" is, first and foremost, the inevitable sequel. And while it is still an enjoyable movie, it's very clearly more, or less (depending on how you would look at it), of the same. It still follows up from the first one, but all in all it feels that there wasn't enough material to hold a full-length movie that the character of Scrat has been given more screen time even if what he does trying to get his acorn doesn't advance the plot at all, albeit helping the film reach barely an hour and a half. While this movie still does manage to amuse from time to time, on the whole the plot feels more obligatory and jokes seem to be a little bit more blunt.

That's not to say "Ice Age: Meltdown" is a total waste because it does still have a few aces up its sleeve. Latifah brings a brilliant performance on her character Ellie, as are Scott and Peck on Ellie's two "brothers." And while much of the first two parts of the film lags, it builds up during the climax and from there never lets go. The animation looks quite excellent as well.

It still has enough wit and laughs to support it most of the time but it's really much more of a standard film than the first one, and the animation genre in general doesn't reach new levels with this. Still, it's one of the better sequels there is, and it's a cool way to start the summer (in this side of the world, that is).

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]