IMDb > Something New (2006/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This movie was on point

Author: KJazz from United States
3 February 2006

Geesehoward, to clarify something in your post: Sanaa's lover did not "assume" that she had a weave. It was after a night of lovemaking that he asked her about it as they lay in bed the next morning. I'm sure he was trying to run his fingers through her hair and found he was unable to.

I am a black woman who is married to a white man. I read the interview with Sanaa where she talked about living in Harlem and being terrified of holding his hand because she was afraid of the judgment. I felt as though she was writing my life story. Before we got married, my then boyfriend lived in Soho and I in Harlem. Walking around together in lower Manhattan, we got a few looks, but nothing even remotely close to the venom that was spit at us when we were together up in my neighborhood. People would stop dead in their tracks, hands on hips and say horrible things to us! And this is in the 21st Century! There were times I would actively dissuade my husband from showing me any affection in a Black environment because I didn't want the brothers to take it the wrong way and think it was an overt slap in their face-- you know, white man comes up in to the Black neighborhood to claim the Black woman while the Black man stands idly by. But after a time, I got over it. My man was just trying to love me. He was willing to take all the insults and stand by me and allow me to open myself up and let him in, so to speak. And I am so glad I did. I have been fortunate in having had positive relationships with all of the men I have dated seriously (who btw, were all Black). They all brought something special to the table. My husband just happened to come into my life at the right time when I was opening up to the idea of trying "something new". I have learned a lot from him, but he has also learned a lot from me. I think this movie did SO much in the way of allowing people to get a little more used to the idea that love comes in all shapes sizes and colors, and that it also comes with problems, depending on the type of relationship. Interracial relationships are going to always have family and societal disapproval, but guess what, everyone comes around eventually once they realized that it's not superficial, that there's true, honest love there. This is because people are just people, and if someone takes the time to get to know you, you discover all the things you have in common that have nothing to do with skin color. The moral of this extended post is this: After we had been dating for some time, my husband moved up to Harlem. Before you knew it, he was friends with everybody on the block and knew more people in my neighborhood than I did. That's because people are just afraid of what they don't know. Yes there is a lot of historical baggage attached to race in this country, but we can't keep schleping it around with us all the time, we've got to let it go, let it flow. I encourage all of you to see the movie. It was your typical predictable rom com, yes, where everything works out okay in the end, but it also has a lot to recommend it. I thought it was on point and funny and sad and all that good stuff. Go see it! (Plus it's the first studio film that's written, directed, produced and starred in by Black women!) You go ladies!

Finally, a romantic comedy I can pay full admission for and not regret it later

Author: dawnwashington from United States
13 February 2006

For about five years or better yet since I've been married, I have banned all modern day romantic comedies from my precious eyesight. Why you say? Because nine times out of ten they featured awkward pairings of big-name stars who had as much chemistry as a week old can of generic pop that was left in the refrigerator open, the plots were so insultingly predictable that you just wanted to take out a bull horn in Hollywood and yell to screenwriters and movie studios everywhere: "STOP INSULTING US BY RELYING ON YOUR FORMULAS TO MAKE YOUR MOVIES." Honestly, if I see one more chase scene to the airport to stop some chick from moving away, I'm going to blow something up, and finally romantic comedies were just plain unrealistic. I mean honestly, how many of us can believe that Jennifer Lopez, Diane Lane, and Julia Roberts are dateless. And how many women are really knocking down John Cusak's door to get a date? However, alas comes a true romantic comedy with depth, conviction, and heart. And while it did use a few formulas it did not depend on them. "Something New" features very real people, real responses, real dialogue, and most importantly real issues. I champion this movie for being groundbreaking and discussing things that no other (or few) mainstream film had the balls to tackle such as "The Black Tax," the true difference between racism and reverse racism, and Black hair culture to name a few. Don't get me wrong, THIS MOVIE IS NOT A BLACK MOVIE. It is definitely romantic and comedic at its very heart and it is something that can be appreciated by all. But I felt so much better about seeing this film when I realized that it took the time to think and bring some things to the forefront. I hate the fact that this movie was not marketed properly. What a misstep. This movie was for all because we have all had to grapple with pressures from our family, our careers, friends, and culture at one point or another and realize that being true to yourself is all that matters. Oh and by the way, the chemistry between Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker is phenomenal! I haven't seen chemistry like that in a long, long time. The movie is worth the trip just to see that.

I absolutely loved it!

Author: rutalkenme from United States
14 February 2006

I am 51, single, and a black woman. I have seen this movie twice, once with my youngest single sister and the second time with another younger single sister. I paid full price each time and will see it for a third time with a married girlfriend. I like the subject matter and say it is about time, not just for the subject, but also that it did not portray us black sisters in a derogatory light. We can be more than hookers and gangsters and maids on the big screen. My sisters and I identify with Kenya and unfortunately, we are all in that percentage class of the unmarrieds.

It reminds me of the classic "Guess Who Is Coming to Dinner". I loved that movie too. It broke barriers. There are more relationships going on like this than we care to admit. My sisters and I would date a white man in a minute, if it was meant to be. Race isn't a preference. If we could each find one good man, he could be green and we would date him.

At the second showing, some in the audience clapped at the end, and we lingered for sometime afterwards and read all the credits. We really liked it and so much of it was true. The soundtrack is beautiful. I can't wait for the DVD and the CD soundtrack to be released. I fell "in love" with this movie. Love is more than color. The only thing that would have made me more love sick is if Brian was played by the hot and cute flavor of the day Matthew McConaughey!! I said it, yes I did!

Additional comment: Okay, I saw this movie for the third time and paid full price cause I loved it. It saddens me that this movie is not getting the PR it deserves. It's a hot topic, especially since it deals with us being seriously involved with a white man. The brothers have been doing this for years, yes years! Sisters, I say allow yourself to flip the script.

A Romantic Comedy with Substance

Author: kmsairam from California, USA
6 February 2006

First off, this movie is NOT about a shortage of black men. In fact, there are plenty of black men in this movie: husbands, brothers, boyfriends, guys at Starbucks, club-goers. It just so happens that the main character Kenya, a black woman, falls in love with a white man. What's the big freakin deal?!?! To repeat, this movie is not about a shortage of black men; it never claims to be. It's a love story and one that is complicated by race. I thought the issues they had to deal with as a couple were very real, particularly Kenya's issues with her job.

I can totally relate to the Kenya character and I can easily think of 10 other black women who probably can too. This film was refreshing; it was so nice to see a smart, successful black woman as the main character of a movie. GO SEE IT!

Great Valentine Movie - Simon is hot - Sanaa is lovely

Author: bdorley from United States
4 February 2006

I love this movie!!! What a great valentine story. My girlfriends and I laughed the whole movie through. It is a lovely, fun, serious and romantic movie all at the same time. I am totally in love with Simon Baker. He is hot. "Simon you can do my garden anytime, baby". I am glad to see that Hollywood has finally caught up to what is everyday life for the rest of us. Interracial dating is no longer a taboo nor is it 'sometinhg new.' Blacks and whites have been dating and getting married in America since the sixties. I'm just glad to see that Hollywood is big enough to show that black women are just as desirable as women of other races. Great job Sanaa and Simon. You two did a wonderful job making the relationship seem real. There was a natural on-screen chemistry between the two of you that made the movie believable and enjoyable. Sanaa is lovely in the film. I hope she gets the recognition she deserves in Hollywood. Peace...Bindu

I loved it and can't wait for the DVD

Author: aniesha from United States
30 January 2006

I thought that this movie was great. I saw the sneak preview this Sunday. It was a wonderful movie, but moreso it was believable. It felt like me years ago when I met my husband who is white. I was like I'd be damned if I would go out with him...Yeah he is nice, but he's white and I couldn't possibly like him. Better yet what does he know about being with a sista. Simon Baker's character seen real too, really cared about Sanaa's character, Kenya and realized what he could and couldn't offer in terms of being in a relationship with Kenya. The friends that Kenya had in the movie were funny and real. It was a wonderful movie. I know that I said that already but I would really recommend it. It is not often when you see an interracial relationship movie with a Black/African American woman and a white man that has a moving realistic storyline. Guess Who with Zoe Saldana and Aston Kutcher sucked. It was not funny and unrealistic. So anyway go see the movie!!! I LOVED IT!!!

One of the best romantic comedies I've seen

Author: mskilah_2000 from United States
23 February 2006

I was told in advance not to see this movie so I hesitated. However, I saw the picture anyway and was disappointed. This film did not get the press it deserved. If you are into romantic comedies with a twist this movie is for you. I loved this film. The casting was perfect. The acting was believable and the chemistry was intense. Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker does a beautiful job in this film. It was a real story that I could relate to and it was brought out with unique yet beautiful cinematography. This is a mature more sophisticated story on interracial dating than prior films put out there. If I was not laughing, I was smiling through out the entire film. One of the best romantic comedies I've seen in a long time. Bravo

Enjoyable Romantic comedy with a flipside look at racial issues.

Author: bobm5508 from United States
14 February 2007

As a white, 60 year old retiree, I am a bit uncomfortable relating why I liked this movie so much, as I will probable say some politically incorrect things. But I enjoyed this movie for its thought provoking storytelling, so here are my thoughts.

I would think the Black Community (as I have heard Bill Cosby expounded many times) would love to see more stories about successful, professional people. The main character, and her girlfriend circle, seemed well grounded in their successful careers, but suffered real conflicted issues over their personal lives, the quest to find the "Ideal black Male" utmost on their minds. Fair enough! But, up pops an "Ideal White Male" and it is not easy to adapt their thinking. Their blind date meeting, the slow warming up, the problems that couples run into, were not earth breaking Romantic "comedy" ground. But the assimilation of a likable, white guy into the Black "experience" has some real impact. I felt the conversations rang true. Slow acceptance by her

friends seemed real. I was educated to the concept of the "Black tax" and the difficulty of "never having a day off from being Black". His request to "please take a night off from race issues" rang true from a person who wants to empathize and be supportive, but cannot really know the impact of the life. The fact that I am still thinking about the movie a few days later is meaningful (to me anyway!).

I wish the Mother character and probably the Brother as well, were more realistic in their haughtiness. Maybe the writer was looking for all attitudes to be explored, and, as likable as he was, the saintly Father may have been too good to be true. But the leads pulled off the underlying feeling that "love conquers all" and provided me with an entertaining, thoughtful couple of hours. It was the exact opposite of all those movies that I want "my two hours back!"

True look at racism from both sides

Author: plkldf from Baltimore MD USA
4 February 2006

I'm European-American male, 56 y.o. I saw it at the Towson Commons mulitplex in Towson, MD. I didn't notice as I came in to the auditorium, but started getting an idea of the "demographic" of the audience as people started talking to the screen! :o) And they were doin' some talking!! :o) As I watched the film, it was hard not to be conscious of the "color" ("all of us are colored, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see us") of my fellow audience members, because there were lots of moments that I found uncomfortable. There is a beautiful balance of portrayal of racism here, maybe a little exaggerated from the POV of African-Americans, I'm not sure, but I think realistically portrayed. The disadvantage that Afr-Ams constantly experience (Chris Rock: "How many white people would trade places with me? And I'm rich!") due to Eur-Am racism is, I think, very well portrayed -- you really hated that guy, but you could see it happening every day, everywhere. On the other side, the racist behavior and arrogance of the Afr-Am characters towards the Eur-Am male protagonist was disturbing and disheartening, and seemed realistic.

I plan to go again, and hope I'm again in the minority, in terms of "race" (of course, there's only one race, right, the human race? for better or worse!) because I want to listen again to the audience reaction (usually I like to listen to the *score* the second time I see a film).

One of the delightful things about the film is during an argument the couple have in a drugstore. They're having a public argument about "race" as they walk through a drugstore, and they get various reactions from their fellow shoppers - very funny and enjoyable -- although the set piece itself is not light-hearted, it is sprinkled with sly humor in the form of the reactions of the folks around them as they fight. That little 5-minute piece alone was worth the price of admission, in my view. Very beautifully written and directed.

As is the whole film.

I thought it did a great job of bringing the audience into the upper middle class African-American culture. I loved the way it presented a balanced view of racism in the U.S. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope a lot of people see it -- I think it contributes a very great deal to the discussion of "race" in the United States.

sweet and refreshing

Author: vodiseinlove from United States
16 February 2006

I saw the trailer for this movie and was itching for it to come out. It was better than I initially thought that it would be. I think that it touched on a subject that seems to be taboo in today's society. I will admit that the character Kenya had major issues to deal with, and she did't give Simon a fair shake in the beginning. She did however portray how African American women relate to each other and how most of us feel about the taboo that is interracial dating. There were many times in the movie when I really felt sorry for the way she behaved towards this genuinely nice guy. I did like the way the relationship developed, it wasn't forced and it didn't seem fake. It dealt with a lot of issues from both sides. I must admit that I watched it more than once because I thought it was that good. it teaches you to be open to other options, don't limit yourself because you might miss out on something great.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]