IMDb > "Robot Chicken" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Robot Chicken"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Robot Chicken" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

It's insane, twisted, sick... IT'S FANTASTIC!!!

Author: CountVladDracula from United States
15 April 2005

This is great! This is the best thing I've seen Cartoon Network do. Seth Green is a warped genius. This is madness in it's purest form.

Robot Chicken is a sketch show that uses action figures and various dolls to act out scenes in stop motion animation. It's only fifteen minutes long and only airs once a week but it's great fun. It's so completely random that you have no idea what's going to happen next. Nothing is sacred. Adult Swim has a real gem with this one.

This show is fun. It's like watching a mad man play with his old childhood toys. You can't help but look as you see Seth Green's sick imagination unfold bizarre and comedic situations for several famous characters with their action figure counter parts. Various celebrities lend their voices. I hope this show lasts a good long while.

Oh yes, I have seen the Robot Chicken, and it is good.

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
21 February 2005

If you are a die-hard toy collector....then maybe you shouldn't watch, as toys get mutilated and destroyed. Other than that, this show is hilarious. I urge you to watch, and enjoy the madness. Don't look for a plot, as this kind of show won't really have one, as it's sketch comedy, much like Monty Python, or SNL.

Watching Transformers deal with the problems of prostate cancer is pure madness, and proof that this show will have it's place as a regular in the Cartoon Network Adult Swim pantheon for many months, even years to come. If Toyfare magazine makes it work so good, Seth Green should have just as much luck.

Idiotic...but in a good way

Author: warui_chibi from behind you
18 April 2005

Seth Green (from a slew of roles, including parts on Family Guy, Austin Powers, Rat Race, and BtVS) must be brilliant for having successfully pitched this show to a network. I know that if I were a TV executive and some guy came to me with this idea, I'd wet myself. And not from seeing the show.

The premise is simple: a mad scientist finds a dead chicken on the road. He re-animates it, creating a crazy half-cyborg half-poultry hybrid, which he then forces to watch modern day television. (I could make some crack about Seth Green reinvigorating the old 'why did the chicken cross the road' shtick, but must I really?)

In a painfully short thirteen minutes, viewers are treated to a madcap run through of modern television "classics." No show, movie, or person is safe from Green's satirical finger, and he points it at everyone. From easy targets such as William Shatner and N'Sync, to random acts of violence (a man opens a car door in traffic, only to have a motorcyclist slam into it), to today's fads of reality shows (be it Zombie Ideal or Pimp My Sister), to outrageous parodies that may send you to hell--such as Jesus as The Bride from Kill Bill--Green's stop motion trip through cable keeps the viewer's eyes wide open, waiting for the next shameless skewering. Don't blink; you might miss the joke.

No thinking here. For those with the unique Adult Swim brand of humor, "Robot Chicken" is a delightful romp through television without the bothering of watching it all day. Let's fight to keep this one on the air, people--it's worth it.

Robot Chicken is crazy funny beyond all others.

Author: StevePatterson from United States
20 March 2005

I'm not going to spend a very long time giving all sorts of opinions about this and that, but the bottom line is that Robot Chicken is some of the funniest, simplistic, and crazy humor that I have seen in a very long time... perhaps ever. If you're offended easily, or have something against simple, ridiculous comedy then this show probably isn't for you. But if you're a fan of any of Cartoon Networks "Adult Swim" cartoons in general, I can guarantee that you're going to love this one. In fact, if you're anything like me I've only seen the first few episodes that have aired, but I'm already very anxiously awaiting to see more. I'm already hoping that after season 1 is over, they'll release it on DVD so I can show this crazy stuff to everyone I know.

Some seriously funny stuff!

Author: draktyr (draktyr@comcast.net) from United States
7 May 2005

Oh, man! What can I say about Robot Chicken? A lot! It is the freshest, funniest most original series I have seen in quite some time! I unfortunately know what happens to shows that are good and/or funny....

Robot Chicken takes the look and feel of a great "ToyFare" comic and puts it in animated form. They were definitely aiming at the age group of 25-30, as all of the source material I instantly recognized; Transformers, Charlie Brown, Voltron, Thundercats....and so on.

I mean can you go wrong with a show that has Optimus Prime dying of prostate cancer, or Cobra Commander, Skeletor, Lex Luthor and Mumm-Ra caught in traffic while carpooling to work? The humor involved is toilet humor for the most part....but seeing it instigated through these icons of my childhood, I found myself crying I was laughing so hard.

I highly recommend this series to anyone who loves great ideas and doesn't mind crude humor. It will instantly click with kids of the 70's and 80's (Speed Racer, Knight Rider, CHiPs, Batman, Fast and the Furious , Mario Kart, Dukes of Hazzard, MASK (ya know...working overtime, fighting crime..fighting crime!) and Wheeled Warriors duking it out Cannonball Run style...all complete with a cameo from Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise!), making the humor and originality of this series apparent from the get-go.

This is pure genius programming (albeit only 11 to 15 minutes an episode), but with cameos by Seth Green(One of the shows creators), Mark Hamill, Seth "Family Guy" Macfarlane, N*Sync, Pat Morita, Alex Borstein and even Ryan Seacrest as himself, it makes the package that much sweeter to digest! Highly Recommended!

"Say your lines, or you'll get the gas!"

Author: Ryan Miller (rtil@washington.usa.com) from United States
7 April 2005

Completely random and fast-paced stop-motion animation is all what Robot Chicken is about. With every episode being the Adult Swim traditional 11 minutes, each is packed full of hilarious parodies and shorts. And the best thing is you never know who you'll see the next episode.

Robot Chicken takes the media and entertainment business and flips it upside down. If you've got your know on pop culture, Robot Chicken will be all the more hilarious for you. And if you don't understand all the references, Robot Chicken is also packaged with the crude, witty humor that most of Adult Swim features. I'm not bashing on that kind of humor, I love it too.

Basically it's got something for everyone. And there are no main characters or storyline, it's a new parody every episode. And the animation is pretty darn good for stop-motion. But alas, it is not perfect. The problem I have with Robot Chicken is the relentless fart/bathroom jokes. I swear, in every episode there is a short cut-scene of someone farting or something of the like. I really can't stand that, and I bet you anything that's simply Seth Green shining through. But oh well, the rest is good! 9/10

Too funny!

Author: ssc7 from Montana, USA
6 March 2005

All pop culture references, and for those that don't get it or don't watch it, screw you! It's like one big inside joke! I have family members from all ages that watch this and we all laugh our butts off. Seth is so talented and it's great to watch all those toys we played with or characters we religiously watched do something totally out of character. Obviously if you are watching Adult Swim you have a certain sense of humor and Robot Chicken fits right in with Family Guy, Futurama, Sealab and ATHF. Hey how many of you have ever wished Kit from Knight Riderwould explode into a fiery flame or the Duke Boys would give each other that "special look"? Wish granted! Go Seth and make us laugh.

Chicken Robot rocks!

Author: merrybeth11 from United States
16 June 2005

I discovered Chicken Robot when mistakenly awaiting for ATHF to come on Thursday night. After chiefin hardcore with some people, I was soooo confused yet found the show very amusing( ha imagine that ;) !) --crazy characters were all in the show and the animation was just as crazy. However, I watched it completely sober, and I truly appreciated its humor. Seth Green and Matthew Senreich (I don't think Senreich gets the acclaim he deserves considering they co-created it!) really did an excellent job with this stop-motion animation, so major props to them. People that say it "sucks" fail to recognize the simple, intentional idiocracy of the show. much love to robot chicken lovers. I hope that you all will at least consider watching Robot Chicken, and I assure you, you won't be disappointed!

One of the funniest shows on TV

Author: hobojos from United States
3 April 2005

I first saw this show in the corner of a Glory Days Bar&Grill while I was watching the NCAA tournament. Even without the volume I could tell that it would be a show worth watching. The first thing that I saw was Mr. Rogers standing in front of the train set going through his house. He called one of the stage hand boys to come to him because something was off on the train and then he took the kids head and stuffed it into a little lake by the train track and said in his calm voice, I TOLD YOU TO FIX THIS. If that isn't great TV I don't know what is. I just watched a new episode tonight called a piece of action, and it was just as good as the rest. I can't wait for this show to come to DVD.

Smug inside jokes, 80s retreads and random nonsense for the sake of it. "Robot" has a lot of great ideas, but falls on its face way too often

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
21 October 2006

Network: The Cartoon Network; Genre: Animated Sketch Comedy; Content Rating: TV-14, TV-MA (strong language, sexual content and animated violence and gore); Available: Uncensored DVD; Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: 2+ seasons

Fans of random, nonsensical comedy will rejoice over "Robot Chicken". Professional smart-ass Seth Green's stop motion twist on the sketch comedy series is certainly random and certainly nonsensical. Enlisting many of his "Family Guy" co-stars (Mila Kunis, Seth MacFarlane) as well as anyone he has ever worked with (Jessica Alba, Breken Myer, Sarah Michelle Geller – the show's credit list reads like 6 Degrees of Seth Green) to voice many of the non-descript characters, "Robot" is made of a lot of private jokes and inside baseball that is surely busting up Green and all his buddies, but will leave many others dumbfounded.

Those random flashbacks, once so fresh and original on Seth MacFarlane's "Family Guy", get milked of all their initial charm by "Robot". The show stacks one random bit after another ontop of each other, several are visual jokes only lasting a few seconds before moving onto the next, until the last half of the show where a particularly elaborate bit of nonsense takes us to the end. Green isn't commenting on the ADD generation, he's playing to it. Nothing wrong with that structure, in fact the show's short attention span and a mercifully short 10-minute running time afforded by The Cartoon Network go a long way to make the show work as well as it possibly can. Green has apparently learned well from McFarlane and his mimic ability to know how short to cut a bit as well as a bleeped-out obscenity from an unlikely character lend the show its best laughs. That MTV-fast style may first appear to be the cure for the common sketch comedy skit that overstays its welcome.

It is where Green chooses to focus the show that doesn't work for me. As if he watched MacFarlane strike gold with late 80s sitcom parody and said "I don't know we could do that". Some of the one-joke gags are not bad, but the majority of "Robot's" targets are limited to sitcoms, cartoon characters, and commercials from the late 70s and 80s. In Green's creative regurgitation, all the childhood generation-X targets get a retread here. Optimus Prime and the Transformers? Yep, they are here. Endless Star Trek, Star Wars, Superman and Ghostbuster jokes? You know it. An idea that simply making a reference to William Shatner is funny? Lots of mileage out of that. "Dragonball Z"? Check. Corky from "Thirtysomething"? Hey, what lame Gen-X show would be complete without making fun of Corky… again. It's all here. We have seen this stuff before and if it can be done better - it has been.

The show gets a big kick out of referencing things that will go over the head of an older generation. But I'm part of the generation it is aiming at and it strains to make me laugh on its good days. And that is the stuff Green does the best. When the show delves back into something before its time the jokes reek of a 3rd hand "I'm told I should make fun of this" feeling. On the brief occasions when it tries to take on something in this century (the occasional George W. Bush joke), it falls even farther onto its face.

"Robot's" animation style, part clamation and part plastic doll stop motion, is visually fun to sit and stare at. There is a giddy little thrill to watching cereal box characters blowing each other's brains out in a screaming bloody gun battle. But that's all you get. Icons associated with innocence given a violent or raunchy twist. Rinse and repeat until the novelty wears off. That single-joke stretched to series length would be derivative enough, but mix it with Seth Green's own insufferable brand of smug, smart-ass, call-me-clever, style and it mutes all of the many possibilities for really clever laughs.

* * / 4