IMDb > Elvis (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

"Elvis" 2005

Author: mmaturin1 from United States
11 May 2005

This was the worst characterization/movie of Elvis Presley's life since "Kirk Russell". I don't know how old this Carolina-26 is but she has no idea who or what Elvis was about. Jonathon Meyers did not do a very good job of this performance, nor his LIP SYNCING. Of course he kept in perfect tone, he was lip syncing. If you really want to see a great movie about Elvis Presley's life then watch the movie "This is Elvis". RENT IT..Carolina-26 or anyone. I am one of his biggest fans and know that this movie was awful. Another good movie about his life is the one based on Priscilla Presley's book "Elvis & Me" with the characters of Susan Walters & Dale Midkiff portraying the lives of Elvis & Priscilla. And to top it all off they stopped the movie @ 1968. The years of 1968-1977(when he died)was when he did his best performing. He was good in his younger years but as he got older he got a Hell of a lot better.They didn't touch base on his divorce from Priscilla or his funeral which was a big ordeal in August 16,1977. So Why cut the movie off @ the best time in his life.

Elvis 2005

Author: kel from Canada
30 May 2005

This film lacks any of the components that make a good film. The acting (for the most part) is terrible, the dialog is dry, and the film lacks any sort of real direction. This film is basically a chronological order of highly profiled events in the life of Elvis Presley, relying heavily on "borrowing" from previous films such as: "This Is Elvis", "Elvis Meets Nixon", and "Elvis And Me." Thoughtlessly breezing through scenes and characters without purpose, it halts to an unsatisfying climax.

The portrayal of Elvis is likewise disappointing. Elvis seems to be more of an ignorant, mumbling wimp with a horrible Mississippi accent, than an edgy, stylish, wealthy yet humble sexual superstar.

One of the most ridiculous moments in the film takes place during the "'68 Comeback Special" scene when the raw, original, inspiring stand-up routine turns into into a goofy, forced, lip syncing freak show. Some of the worst impersonators have done Elvis more justice.

Weak performance, weak film

Author: boomyow from United States
12 May 2005

It is easy to believe that Rhys Meyers knew little about Elvis before filming this fast paced disaster. Instead of a thoughtful, insightful performance, he delivers a "cartoon-like, Elvis-impersonator" performance, instead. His lip-sync was laughable, as were his facial expressions and lip curls. His acting was plain terrible and I can't understand the casting in this stinker at all. "Scotty and Bill" were WAY miscast and looked more like modern "psychobilly" dumb-asses rather than their original counterparts. 1990's Elvis: The series did a much better job of casting and writing. Elvis: The miniseries jumped around too fast to really explore the impact of Elvis' time at Sun records and other events that mattered. It should have gone deeper into his early years and the impact he had on pop culture in the formation of a new religion: Rock and roll. This film is too light on content, too heavy on bad acting and writing and really misses the mark. Now we have ANOTHER stupid Elvis movie-try. Almost as bad as George Eads as Evel Knievel...

Elvis movie

Author: uababy4859 from United States
8 May 2005

I think that this move was very well written and had an excellent cast to play the characters that most influenced throughout his lifetime.The person who played Elvis was very convincing and the person who played his mother, Mrs. Presely, was so lovable, I just adored the whole cast and cannot wait to buy the movie when it comes out on video. I think that the movie portrays Elvis' life in a very unique lovable fun original way and i think that it will be loved throughout the generations because Elvis was and still is truly the King and he will always be remembered in everyones lives both young and old. I know that I will always remember him.

Wow

Author: jeaniebaby001 from United States
8 May 2005

I've just finished watching part I of "Elvis", and Jonathan Rhys Meyers IS Elvis. There is no one else today who could have been chosen for the role. He is the only young actor today who comes closest to embodying the talent, beauty, spirit and charisma of the King. I'm glad he was given the role, despite not being an American. I'm also interested in knowing if JRM will be interested in recording an album of his own in the future. Any fan of JRM who watched this movie will notice the parallels between this mini TV movie to "Velvet Goldmine". He seems really great at portraying rock stars. I'm really looking forward to the Woody Allen Summer project and The Last Unicorn. Congratulations and best wishes to JRM for more great projects like this in the future.

Spoiler.

Author: bloom_2011 from United States
17 July 2008

I have just now finished watching this mini-series and I wished I never have, I had my mouth open for well over half the time and not in a good way. I couldn't even believe how they tried to portray such a man with as much talent as he had and still lives on in our hearts every time we hear his music and see his movies. I was shocked at how horrible of a person, this cracked out junkie weirdo Elvis wannabe was trying to do. If children of America only know this movie and nothing else like true facts about his life then they will think he was nothing different or better than the modern day "rolemodels" rock stars we have today then how come people still tear up at the mention of him 31 years after his death, he was most surely different and no wonder kids today are not being taught the values and morals that Elvis Presley lived, because they're everywhere grindin' on each other. It would have been a beautiful picture if it had followed the facts. He started with the drugs well after Lisa Marie was born not 20 years before. He was not a violent man and would never hurt a woman he wasn't raised like that and he happened to think the world of his parents and would never disrespect them like he did in this "show." Also Lisa nor Priscilla was barely in the movie when he even said were the two greatest things in his life after they got divorced. I am so mad right now I could just spit. Ohh this movie was only to sell the bad images of him and not the God-fearing man he used to be. Well I will sure as day tell all the people I come in contact with exactly what I think about Elvis and just what I thought of this "show."

Poor research

Author: Michael D Mellgard (mikmel@adelphia.net) from West Hollywood, CA
12 May 2005

First of all the town in Germany where Elvis put his folks up is Bad Nauheim, not Bad Neuheim. That pretty little town is just outside of Friedberg. Friedberg is where Elvis and the armor battalion he was posted to was based. Second, where was the unit crest and rank on Elvis' cap? The cap was correct but the unit crest of the armor battalion was part of his uniform. He would have been considered out of uniform with out it. Moreover, the beer was being drunk out of bottles that were not in use in Germany at that time. Those long neck bottles were not in use but a short neck half liter size was. It's the little things that go towards making a poor movie better.

Good movie, bad casting

Author: taylordesign2 from United States
11 May 2005

Aside from Randy Quaid and Camryn Manheim, anyone even slightly familiar with Elvis and the people who surrounded him during his life will be offended by this poorly cast nightmare.

Not only are the supporting players infuriatingly worthless, but miscasting Elvis is unforgivable. Jonathon what's-his-name bears a striking resemblance to the King from some angles, but the resemblance ends there. This guy is not only way too short and narrow shouldered, but he can't move like the King or lip sync to save is life.....and come on! How could they possibly screw up the hair so badly? Did the hair stylist even look at a picture of the real Elvis? No full pompadour?? I've heard bad Elvis impersonators in Las Vegas do a less phony southern drawl.....it got downright irritating after a while.

The scenes in which they attempted to recreate the '68 TV special are as flat and boring as the real thing was exciting. I recall the real Elvis from that famous broadcast sitting there confidently in black leather, looking like a rock and roll God....the icon of the 20th century. This poor actor looked more like a reject from the "Tiny Elvis" skits from Saturday Night Live. It's not his fault. He tried, but it's obvious that no one who really knew what Elvis was about had given him any advice. Anyone who finds his performance the least bit accurate hasn't a clue about the real thing.

If you're going to recreate the King, you'd better have a good degree of charisma yourself....you can't fool the camera. Kurt Russell looked less like the King (facially) when he had his turn 25 years ago, but he flat out nailed Elvis with his talent and his own special magic. If they ever decide to do "Elvis: The Final Years," the producers better crawl on their hands and knees and beg Kurt to do it......no one else has even come close to capturing the King like Mr. Russell did.

Thanks to Marty Lacker for responding on this site to these many reviews, I couldn't agree more with your view of this film, Marty. It's great see someone who has personal knowledge of Elvis post the truth.

A disappointing throw-together by CBS

Author: heartbreak56 from Nashville
9 May 2005

In order to have a convincing film about Elvis Presley, you need to start with a convincing Elvis. Kurt Russell did a great job in the 1979 film and Michael St. Gerard was pretty good in the 1990 miniseries. So why not Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Well...

This is the first documentary to feature the Elvis' Master recordings. A great concept if you can get the actor to actually lip sync properly to them, unfortunately between Meyers and the Editor of the movie they couldn't accomplish that. Also, to a true fan of Elvis, Having black hair and sideburns isn't enough to convince us you're Elvis. Same goes for talking with a lame southern accent that makes you question whether Elvis was a Mississippi boy or a Georgia peach.

There's limited video available of Elvis on Stage in the 50's, but if you have seen any of it you will doubt whether Meyers or the choreographer has.

If Meyers portrayal wasn't going to make it, the poor writing certainly wasn't. They already had a great story, their only job was to fill it in with interesting dialog. This was more like a rough draft than a finalized script. All this ultimately proving that the whole thing was thrown together, a big publicity stunt by CBS. (just like their "open casting call")

The die-hard Elvis-hungry fans will probably enjoy this along with every other trinket stamped with his name or likeness. But for an Elvis fan with more selective taste focusing on quality product, this miniseries is laughable and ultimately forgettable. Shame on CBS.

How did this get on the air?

Author: tmolthan from USA
9 May 2005

This movie is one long cliché. Everyone knows the story by now, as it's been told waaaaay too many times. I'm a huge fan of Elvis (the singer, not the movie) and I think the actors try real hard in this film, but the writing is so ridiculous they don't have a lot to work with. I don't know how many times something was said or done in this movie that made me go "Yeah, right!". Most TV movies, especially ones that try to tell a true story, are woefully bad, and this one will have you squirming and groaning, right down to the bad lip-synching of real Elvis studio recordings. This film may be of some use if you're new to the planet and have never heard of Elvis Presley before.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]