IMDb > Elvis (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Deeper side of The King

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
5 June 2005

I am still to this day surprised we haven't seen a multi million dollar Oliver Stonesque biopic of The King of Rock and Roll. He still to this day is one of the most popular historical figures of all time and his life is still masked in much mystery and such a great story. Nonetheless TV director and writer James Steven Sadwith does his utmost in this better than average Television film.

"Elvis" gives us a look at The King just prior to his fame, and his reshaping of music history. The film really focus's in on his personality, loves, family, money, career, fears and his love of music. The film touches on some of his bigger moments, such as his film career which he desperately wanted and his relationship with the man who helped him get where he was, The Colonel. Elvis continues on through Elvis joining the army and then his triumphant rise back to fame after getting out.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers does a great job as Elvis. There are probably more impersonators for this character than anyone else in the world so it's not a tough gig but it's tough to pull off a really good character performance of Elvis and Rhys-Meyers is just amazing. The film really does focus in on his own personal demons and life and feelings so it really magnifies his performance but he pulls it off with the exception of one MAJOR thing in my opinion...the singing. I don't blame him in this case because his lip syncing is dead on...but the music itself is so off balance, often sounding scratchy and old and NOT live the way it is supposed to be. It never seems believable and that's a major fault for the whole film. The rest of the cast is also remarkable in their roles. One of the best in the film is Camryn Manheim as Gladys Presley. She is the most emotional of the characters and so believable and heartfelt, she MUST get an Emmy for this role. Her relationship with Elvis is so clearly created that it's touching and important to everything. Their charisma together is wonderful. Randy Quaid who is lacking a good performance since...well a LONNNNNG time does a great job as the greedy, and powerful 'Colonel' Tom Parker. He is riveting!! The only second downside to this film is it doesn't quite take it far enough...it has you just riveted to your seat ready to go on with these characters till the end but they chose to end the film with Elvis' comeback special which really leaves out so much of Elvis and his downward spiral. Nonetheless no Elvis fan will be disappointed and it's worth seeing absolutely!! It's just not as good as it could have been. 8/10

Disappointingly Mediocre.....

Author: kellyofferndale from United States
12 May 2005

I'm a huge Elvis fan, so I was anxiously anticipating this movie. I had my VCR all set up...and then nothing'. I felt nothing when I watched the movie. No emotion, no sentimentality about the 50's, no excitement.

I felt the movie really lacked spunk! Yes, they covered most of the basic things that happened in Elvis' life, but they totally neglected to show the Charisma and Edge that the real Elvis had. Sure, the guy looked a lot like Elvis, and could imitate his drawl, but there was just no electricity.

I was also completely disappointed, that they picked someone so plain and mosey to play someone as beautiful and perfect as Pricilla. What a waste.

For those of you that were expecting something great in this movie, PLEASE go out and rent "Elvis and Me". It was made from Pricilla Presley's biographic book and it's excellent!! It has the emotion that this movie was lacking.

Not up to the '79 version

Author: akmike from Wisconsin, USA
1 November 2006

Noting the rather high esteem given this production by IMDb voters, I wonder how many have ever seen the 1979 production "Elvis", starring Kurt Russell, and lovingly produced by Dick Clark. It is superior in every way to the 2005 film, but particularly in the performance of Russell, who may have done his finest work as an actor in recreating the "King". I am an Elvis fan, but not enough of a die-hard (I guess) to give a high rating to a movie, simply because of the subject matter. Perhaps the younger generation of Elvis fans have not had the opportunity to view the '79 version as it hasn't been made available on DVD. But, even if you have to lower yourself to an old VHS tape, you will find it well worth the effort !

Why would they do that to Priscilla?

Author: Danny Tripp from United States
12 May 2005

Did anyone notice that the "Actress" in the Hollywood lot that told Elvis to wash the back of his neck looked an AWFUL LOT like Priscilla? I thought that when I saw part one but when I saw who they had cast in part two I was convinced. Antonia Bernath was cute but pulled in a flat and predictable performance. Azure Dawn has the striking beauty and poise of a young Priscilla. Her profile is identical! With the right hair, make up, and blue contacts, it would be uncanny.

The look in Azure's eyes was deep and emotional when she looked at Elvis. Antonia's was Flat and blank. Azure was better in her small little scene than Antonia was in all of her scenes. Azure's performance was convincing and unpredictable so I'm pretty sure she could have done a MUCH better job! What a stupid mistake to cast someone that looks and acts nothing like Priscilla and then cast someone that looks just like her and doesn't play her in the same movie. How could they not see that?

Priscilla was a very important element in Elvis' life and I just can't believe that something so obvious was over looked. This movie had so many flaws and holes. This is just one of the many examples that bugged me. In general I thought JRM was good but not brilliant. Rose McGowan looked like she tried too hard. A lot of the smaller roles, though, were done well. Cameron Manheim was brilliant and stole the show.

Good but Incomplete, Like the Singer's Life

Author: gerard-21 from United States
12 May 2005

I enjoyed this two-part movie, but why oh why did they stop so abruptly at the 1968 comeback special? By doing so, they left out quite possibly the most interesting part of Elvis' life: His rise from the dead to become the world's preeminent performer once again. The years 1969-1973 were great ones for Elvis professionally and chaotic personally. If they wanted to stop short of showing his demise and death in 1977, they could have stopped at the 73' Satellite concert from Hawaii. Anyway, Meyers and Quaid were good as Elvis and the Colonel, respectively. Manheim was also convincing as Elvis' mom and Rose McGowan captured the raw sexual energy of Ann Margeret. However, the woman who played Priscilla was not very good. All in all, it is a very watchable portrayal, but it could have been better had they attempted to cover the "Vegas Years".

overall pretty good, could slightly improve

Author: Brianna
11 May 2005

I saw this mini series, as I am a gigantic Elvis fan, although it's before my time. I missed a bit of the first one but what I saw of the first and second were awesome. I thought that the character who played Elvis looked the part much more than previous Elvis's. I was slightly disappointed with Priscilla, not to say that the actress was unattractive, she wasn't but she didn't look much like the real thing. Same for Ann Margaret. I was disappointed come the end of the movie, but that's me. Overall, this was a good movie to watch and it was informative for the people who don't know a lot about the Presley's and are interested.

Great performances

Author: TudorsFan2 from United States
9 May 2005

I was pleasantly surprised by the first part of this mini...mostly by the fine performance of Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Elvis. This is the first thing I've seen him in...and he totally nailed Elvis. He was charismatic, sexy, warm, vulnerable and totally believable. I also thought Randy Quaid and Cameryn M were superb. In fact, the acting is what made it so enjoyable. As a life-long Elvis fan, I was satisfied with most of the writing as well. There were a few small historical mistakes, but nothing major. Rhys-Meyers' winning portrayal more than made up for any inconsistencies. I have a feeling his Elvis may bring more younger fans into the Elvis fold. I'm looking forward to part two.

So far so good

Author: fleance-1 from Stoughton, Wisconsin
8 May 2005

The premiere of "Elvis" was just on NBC. Johnathon Rhys Meyers does deliver a very faithful performance as The King. The whole cast is very strong and supporting. This could be the best mini-series of the year. Johnathon Rhys Meyers will have to get some kind of award of his performance. I was also impressed with Randy Quaid who plays Colonel Tom Parker, the evil manager. But we will have to wait until Wednesday for the entire review. If you are a die-hard Elvis fan, or not even, you really should see this mini-series. I will write a full review after the conclusion episode.

So far: 8/10

There have been worse - but not by much

Author: F_Jenkins from la
8 April 2010

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was not good. There were some angles when he was on stage where he briefly really looked like Elvis but that was the extent of the good parts of his portrayal. His voice is nothing like Elvis's which doesn't help when the singing voice doesn't match. At no point do you believe that singing is coming from that guy on stage, especially when he's quite possibly the worst lip syncer in the history of lip syncing and they have him singing in his own voice here and there as well didn't help. And he's lip syncing to the real Elvis, and in some cases Elvis says a word or two in the song which of course, sounds nothing like this actor. He doesn't move like Elvis at all, it comes across like a bad Elvis Impersonator which is the inevitable comparison someone playing Elvis wants to avoid. His accent seeps through sometimes in the dialog (especially in his very first scene and first couple lines of dialog - it's mind boggling this made the cut). He curls his lip here and there as if in the middle of the scene he's thinking "oh yeah, Elvis curls his lip." Having the real pictures of Elvis in the army didn't help either. The fact the lead is not doing a good job makes the whole thing come off worse than it probably was - everyone else seemed to be doing an okay job. The bad soap opera music didn't help and the fact the Kurt Russell Elvis is still far and away the one that every other performance is compared to, makes this look worse.

The last number he does where he turns into Joe Cocker lip syncing to the song is incredibly awful. Were the producers watching that scene going "yes, this is good!"

You don't have to have someone who looks exactly like Elvis but if he's lip syncing to the real one, he better talk like him and move like him. Someday they'll probably do a TV movie on Elvis that will best the Russell/Carpenter version but it hasn't happened yet.

On the plus side, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is better than some of the other TV Elvises like Don Johnson, David Keith and a few others. Now those guys were really bad.

A blatant mockery of Elvis's life!

Author: VALGAL69au from Australia
20 November 2005

I was quite appalled at this movie, which takes on an almost comedic approach to what is one of the most intriguing and moving stories. It seems that half the facts have been changed to turn Elvis' life into a better "story". If you want a more accurate story and actual Elvis footage, the documentaries made many years ago or 'This Is Elvis (1981)' is still a better bet. Acting by all in 'Elvis (2005)' is mediocre at best, and the way the lead actor portrays Elvis is a little "over the top" for a lot of the time. The rest of the cast is also average. The movie moves very slow in some parts and then jumps around in others, which makes it somewhat difficult to follow, and although as a whole it is a very average film, somehow it draws you in, until at the end you think to yourself, "How did I end up watching that for as long as I did?".

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]