IMDb > "Elvis" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Elvis" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Elvis 2005

Author: kel from Canada
30 May 2005

This film lacks any of the components that make a good film. The acting (for the most part) is terrible, the dialog is dry, and the film lacks any sort of real direction. This film is basically a chronological order of highly profiled events in the life of Elvis Presley, relying heavily on "borrowing" from previous films such as: "This Is Elvis", "Elvis Meets Nixon", and "Elvis And Me." Thoughtlessly breezing through scenes and characters without purpose, it halts to an unsatisfying climax.

The portrayal of Elvis is likewise disappointing. Elvis seems to be more of an ignorant, mumbling wimp with a horrible Mississippi accent, than an edgy, stylish, wealthy yet humble sexual superstar.

One of the most ridiculous moments in the film takes place during the "'68 Comeback Special" scene when the raw, original, inspiring stand-up routine turns into into a goofy, forced, lip syncing freak show. Some of the worst impersonators have done Elvis more justice.

Great performances

Author: TudorsFan2 from United States
9 May 2005

I was pleasantly surprised by the first part of this mini...mostly by the fine performance of Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Elvis. This is the first thing I've seen him in...and he totally nailed Elvis. He was charismatic, sexy, warm, vulnerable and totally believable. I also thought Randy Quaid and Cameryn M were superb. In fact, the acting is what made it so enjoyable. As a life-long Elvis fan, I was satisfied with most of the writing as well. There were a few small historical mistakes, but nothing major. Rhys-Meyers' winning portrayal more than made up for any inconsistencies. I have a feeling his Elvis may bring more younger fans into the Elvis fold. I'm looking forward to part two.

ELVIS-Not the best, not the worst

Author: memoriesoftheking from United States
9 May 2005

Part one of the CBS mini-series "Elvis" was better than I expected, but not as good as it could have been. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, while a good actor simply over exaggerated Elvis' southern drawl & lip curl and was too small in build & hight. It was nice having the real Elvis' singing voice, but the lip syncing was not convincing. And why did his hair always look like he just got out of the shower? Elvis' buddies use to kid him about all the time he spent sculpting his famous pompadour. Can't a Hollywood hair dresser come close the most iconic hair style in show-business?

That aside, the stand outs were Randy Quaid as Col. Tom Parker and Camryn Manheim as Gladys Presley. These two made the show worth watching. The actors playing Scotty Moore and Bill Black were as far off from the real thing as you could get.

As far as the story, it skipped too many important events in Elvis' career for only covering it up to 1958 (by the end of part 1). Besides several historical inaccuracies, it was not a bad story, and kept your interest. While not as good as the TV series of the same name in 1990 with Michael St. Gerard or the 1979 TV movie of the same name with Kurt Russell, it was miles better than most portrayals of the King's life (Elvis & The Beauty Queen, Elvis and The Col., Elvis Meets Nixon, Elvis and Me).

I do look forward to seeing the second half.

Didn't liked it.

Author: Petr_4 from Greece
22 August 2010

This particular movie, much more imagination to work can be seen, despite a thorough representation of the character of Elvis. Many incorrect regarding dates, lies as much with the relationship between the mythical high-profile with Tom Parker, since in fact, Elvis himself took the decisions concerning his career with the right and the mistakes and never been the subject of dismissal Parker

Eventually the project was nothing but a pile of mass circulation despite clichés and the malignant character of Elvis, despite a real look in his personality.

Also isn't finished, after Stands in 1968, without the most show no qualitative artistic and interesting personal journal of the King.

The selection of high-profile failed, more like a comedian seems, except as Elvis, especially when trying to capture the stage presence of the king.

"It's the looks, stupid!"

Author: ukguy992010 from UK
24 March 2010

Just as elections are ultimately all about the economy, casting in biopics is ultimately all about looks and physical resemblance, and, no matter how satisfactory the performance may be in various regards, it will, in the end, all hinge on that. Jonathan Rhys-Myers is, without doubt, a very handsome young man. On a scale of one to ten, he'd easily rate 9 - more than enough in any normal real-life situation (club, party, disco) to have the girls flocking around you like wasps around a honey pot (and, let's be honest, far too good-looking to play Henry VIII!).

Now here's the problem: the guy that he aims to portray, on the same 1-10 scale, was about a 14 - another league altogether, in which, basically, a 9 just doesn't cut it. Sorry, Jon, to have to be so brutally frank, but you can take comfort from the fact that what you're attempting is nigh-on impossible. Many other handsome Hollywood actors (most notably, Kurt Russell) have tried and failed even more miserably.

In fact, there is only one actor I can think of offhand who could convincingly portray Elvis Presley on screen. Sadly, however, he's been unavailable for about 33 years...

An entertaining piece, with only one flaw.

Author: junertcb from United States
13 February 2006

As a lifelong admirer and advocate of Elvis Presley, I wish to say that the story was quite enjoyable and would have educated younger generations of people as to what Elvis Presley achieved in his life up until the 1968 "Comeback" Special. Generally, the actors were terrific. I feel that the two most powerful performances came from Camryn Manheim, who gave an extraordinary and sympathetic portrayal of Elvis' mother, Gladys Presley..and from Randy Quaid, who was equally convincing as the greedy "Colonel". Also, Robert Patrick, was fine in his role as Elvis' daddy, Vernon Presley. Sadly, Elvis' strong-willed and much-loved Grandmother, Minnie Mae Presley, was virtually invisible in this story and, to me, the actor who took on the challenge of playing the world's greatest entertainer, failed miserably. Realising it is impossible to capture the beauty and the magic that was Elvis, I nonetheless found the portrayal to be "wooden", predictable and an otherwise, good film.

ELVIS: The miniseries

Author: dramaqueen00469 from United States
12 May 2005

I enjoyed watching the 2 part miniseries of Elvis. Although being that Priscilla was a big part of Elvis live after his momma died you would've thought they would've gotten somebody prettier to play her. Rose McGowan was good but not great in the role of Ann-Margaret, and Robert Patrick as Vernon was definitely a mistake in casting. Anyone else expecting to see him morph into a Terminator? I would give Cameron Manhiem kudos for a wonderful portrayal of Gladys Presley & Randy Quaid made the Colonel so incredibly controlling that we hate him even more today after watching this movie. I hope this is going to be available on DVD, because its one my list as a keeper!

There have been worse - but not by much

Author: F_Jenkins from la
8 April 2010

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was not good. There were some angles when he was on stage where he briefly really looked like Elvis but that was the extent of the good parts of his portrayal. His voice is nothing like Elvis's which doesn't help when the singing voice doesn't match. At no point do you believe that singing is coming from that guy on stage, especially when he's quite possibly the worst lip syncer in the history of lip syncing and they have him singing in his own voice here and there as well didn't help. And he's lip syncing to the real Elvis, and in some cases Elvis says a word or two in the song which of course, sounds nothing like this actor. He doesn't move like Elvis at all, it comes across like a bad Elvis Impersonator which is the inevitable comparison someone playing Elvis wants to avoid. His accent seeps through sometimes in the dialog (especially in his very first scene and first couple lines of dialog - it's mind boggling this made the cut). He curls his lip here and there as if in the middle of the scene he's thinking "oh yeah, Elvis curls his lip." Having the real pictures of Elvis in the army didn't help either. The fact the lead is not doing a good job makes the whole thing come off worse than it probably was - everyone else seemed to be doing an okay job. The bad soap opera music didn't help and the fact the Kurt Russell Elvis is still far and away the one that every other performance is compared to, makes this look worse.

The last number he does where he turns into Joe Cocker lip syncing to the song is incredibly awful. Were the producers watching that scene going "yes, this is good!"

You don't have to have someone who looks exactly like Elvis but if he's lip syncing to the real one, he better talk like him and move like him. Someday they'll probably do a TV movie on Elvis that will best the Russell/Carpenter version but it hasn't happened yet.

On the plus side, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is better than some of the other TV Elvises like Don Johnson, David Keith and a few others. Now those guys were really bad.

Disappointingly Mediocre.....

Author: kellyofferndale from United States
12 May 2005

I'm a huge Elvis fan, so I was anxiously anticipating this movie. I had my VCR all set up...and then nothing'. I felt nothing when I watched the movie. No emotion, no sentimentality about the 50's, no excitement.

I felt the movie really lacked spunk! Yes, they covered most of the basic things that happened in Elvis' life, but they totally neglected to show the Charisma and Edge that the real Elvis had. Sure, the guy looked a lot like Elvis, and could imitate his drawl, but there was just no electricity.

I was also completely disappointed, that they picked someone so plain and mosey to play someone as beautiful and perfect as Pricilla. What a waste.

For those of you that were expecting something great in this movie, PLEASE go out and rent "Elvis and Me". It was made from Pricilla Presley's biographic book and it's excellent!! It has the emotion that this movie was lacking.

Not up to the '79 version

Author: akmike from Wisconsin, USA
1 November 2006

Noting the rather high esteem given this production by IMDb voters, I wonder how many have ever seen the 1979 production "Elvis", starring Kurt Russell, and lovingly produced by Dick Clark. It is superior in every way to the 2005 film, but particularly in the performance of Russell, who may have done his finest work as an actor in recreating the "King". I am an Elvis fan, but not enough of a die-hard (I guess) to give a high rating to a movie, simply because of the subject matter. Perhaps the younger generation of Elvis fans have not had the opportunity to view the '79 version as it hasn't been made available on DVD. But, even if you have to lower yourself to an old VHS tape, you will find it well worth the effort !

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]