IMDb > Elvis (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Elvis

Elvis (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A sick attempt to discredit

Author: kary-470-755783 from Australia
7 September 2012

Firstly l think JRM is a really good actor but not right for the portrayal of Elvis at all. JRM is a good looking man but Elvis had more than just good looks. JRM was only being directed to go through the motions, he wasn't tall enough to be believable.

The part of the singer special or 68 comeback, when Steve Binder asks Elvis to go out on the street in LA,so Elvis could see that the modern 60s people wouldn't recognize him, isn't what really happened, it was the opposite & Elvis was mobbed, so for that untruth as well as not showing how Elvis was sympathetic happy & warm to everyone in his life & not just his mother,l feel the producers did not do their full research for this movie, they are not Elvis fans & should not be allowed to do that. I hope that just one movie will be made in my life time that diverts just a fraction from Elvis being a dark,moody,pill popper & tell the future generations more of the goodness in him.

very disappointed Elvis fan

Author: harker_j from Melbourne, Australia
17 January 2006

I thought this would be a fantastic min i series, decent cast, and John Rhys Meyers kinda looks the role.

Soooo disappointed.

I mean John Rhys Meyers, i know he won an award for it and all that, but he was not very good IMHO. It got to the point where my sister and I had to stop watching. The story was fine, and the ideas worked, but the main performance was just appalling, and the lip syncing was even worse.

No the door is definitely still open for a decent Elvis movie or min series.

ELVIS-Not the best, not the worst

Author: memoriesoftheking from United States
9 May 2005

Part one of the CBS mini-series "Elvis" was better than I expected, but not as good as it could have been. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, while a good actor simply over exaggerated Elvis' southern drawl & lip curl and was too small in build & hight. It was nice having the real Elvis' singing voice, but the lip syncing was not convincing. And why did his hair always look like he just got out of the shower? Elvis' buddies use to kid him about all the time he spent sculpting his famous pompadour. Can't a Hollywood hair dresser come close the most iconic hair style in show-business?

That aside, the stand outs were Randy Quaid as Col. Tom Parker and Camryn Manheim as Gladys Presley. These two made the show worth watching. The actors playing Scotty Moore and Bill Black were as far off from the real thing as you could get.

As far as the story, it skipped too many important events in Elvis' career for only covering it up to 1958 (by the end of part 1). Besides several historical inaccuracies, it was not a bad story, and kept your interest. While not as good as the TV series of the same name in 1990 with Michael St. Gerard or the 1979 TV movie of the same name with Kurt Russell, it was miles better than most portrayals of the King's life (Elvis & The Beauty Queen, Elvis and The Col., Elvis Meets Nixon, Elvis and Me).

I do look forward to seeing the second half.

Didn't liked it.

Author: Petr_4 from Greece
22 August 2010

This particular movie, much more imagination to work can be seen, despite a thorough representation of the character of Elvis. Many incorrect regarding dates, lies as much with the relationship between the mythical high-profile with Tom Parker, since in fact, Elvis himself took the decisions concerning his career with the right and the mistakes and never been the subject of dismissal Parker

Eventually the project was nothing but a pile of mass circulation despite clichés and the malignant character of Elvis, despite a real look in his personality.

Also isn't finished, after Stands in 1968, without the most show no qualitative artistic and interesting personal journal of the King.

The selection of high-profile failed, more like a comedian seems, except as Elvis, especially when trying to capture the stage presence of the king.

"It's the looks, stupid!"

Author: ukguy992010 from UK
24 March 2010

Just as elections are ultimately all about the economy, casting in biopics is ultimately all about looks and physical resemblance, and, no matter how satisfactory the performance may be in various regards, it will, in the end, all hinge on that. Jonathan Rhys-Myers is, without doubt, a very handsome young man. On a scale of one to ten, he'd easily rate 9 - more than enough in any normal real-life situation (club, party, disco) to have the girls flocking around you like wasps around a honey pot (and, let's be honest, far too good-looking to play Henry VIII!).

Now here's the problem: the guy that he aims to portray, on the same 1-10 scale, was about a 14 - another league altogether, in which, basically, a 9 just doesn't cut it. Sorry, Jon, to have to be so brutally frank, but you can take comfort from the fact that what you're attempting is nigh-on impossible. Many other handsome Hollywood actors (most notably, Kurt Russell) have tried and failed even more miserably.

In fact, there is only one actor I can think of offhand who could convincingly portray Elvis Presley on screen. Sadly, however, he's been unavailable for about 33 years...

An entertaining piece, with only one flaw.

Author: junertcb from United States
13 February 2006

As a lifelong admirer and advocate of Elvis Presley, I wish to say that the story was quite enjoyable and would have educated younger generations of people as to what Elvis Presley achieved in his life up until the 1968 "Comeback" Special. Generally, the actors were terrific. I feel that the two most powerful performances came from Camryn Manheim, who gave an extraordinary and sympathetic portrayal of Elvis' mother, Gladys Presley..and from Randy Quaid, who was equally convincing as the greedy "Colonel". Also, Robert Patrick, was fine in his role as Elvis' daddy, Vernon Presley. Sadly, Elvis' strong-willed and much-loved Grandmother, Minnie Mae Presley, was virtually invisible in this story and, to me, the actor who took on the challenge of playing the world's greatest entertainer, failed miserably. Realising it is impossible to capture the beauty and the magic that was Elvis, I nonetheless found the portrayal to be "wooden", predictable and unconvincing...in an otherwise, good film.

ELVIS: The miniseries

Author: dramaqueen00469 from United States
12 May 2005

I enjoyed watching the 2 part miniseries of Elvis. Although being that Priscilla was a big part of Elvis live after his momma died you would've thought they would've gotten somebody prettier to play her. Rose McGowan was good but not great in the role of Ann-Margaret, and Robert Patrick as Vernon was definitely a mistake in casting. Anyone else expecting to see him morph into a Terminator? I would give Cameron Manhiem kudos for a wonderful portrayal of Gladys Presley & Randy Quaid made the Colonel so incredibly controlling that we hate him even more today after watching this movie. I hope this is going to be available on DVD, because its one my list as a keeper!

Incredible

Author: the_Poppuns
12 May 2005

I think Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was just fantastic in the role of Elvis. I have been a fan of JRM since I first saw him in Velvet Goldmine and if you had asked me to pick someone to play Elvis I would have never come up with his name. From the first minutes of this movie I couldn't believe how similar his portrayal was to the Elvis I've always seen. I actually thought at one point that they were sneaking Elvis footage into the performances. Watching it I was reminded of how blown away I was by Jamie Foxx last year playing Ray Charles, but in that case I wasn't as familiar with Ray Charles. Even though I was 4 when Elvis died I've watched his movies several times over, the concerts, the retrospectives, and my "favorite Elvis" was always the Comeback Special Elvis. So as I'm sitting there watching this performance I'm constantly amazed at these flashes of perfection, that just came one after another after another. And by the time you get to'If I Can Dream' in the Comeback Special you should be rocked to the core with how amazingly brilliant JRM was. I can't get over it. As a fan if you watch something like Love Me Tender, then Flaming Star, then maybe Live a Little, Love a Little (my favorite), you know that those are 3 different Elvises. As time went on he carried himself differently, spoke differently, just matured into his persona as the King, and Jonathan got all of those little nuances. I'm severely impressed. This is his breakout performance.

The rest of the movie, was good too. I'm assuming it was mostly accurate. If that's the case something I never knew was that Elvis tried to get rid of the Colonel. I wasn't alive back then so maybe real fans knew that but I was surprised by it. Randy Quaid is always great. I knew nothing about Elvis' dad so I can't say anything about Robert Patrick except that I've always loved him too. :D Camryn Manheim was great because at the end of part one, I forgot it was her. All this movie did was make me want more Elvis. Everyone who has ever liked Elvis, even a little bit, or likes to watch excellent acting, should check it out. And for younger fans who didn't grow up as the events of the story were playing out, it's informative as well.

This is very bad..

Author: rickardlindquist from Sweden on my way so Santa Barbara
12 December 2005

This was a very bad movie .. Jonathan who played Elvis was so boring to watch he had nothing but a face that in some scenes looked like Elvis .. This guy doesn't have any percent of the 100% charisma that The REal Elvis had .. He has no glow in is performance its to much over the top all trough the movie . The last scene If i can Dream is so badly lipped synced and played that i started to laugh i mean common!! Elvis had a little more sex appeal and nerve then this ... Bad bad bad bad CBS Did a Bad bad thing..Has this actor ever lay ed an eye on Elvis performances? i mean it looked as if he had watched the 68 comeback special like two times or something .. And his singing in the Sun Studio is awful its false and bad! bad! So i wonder how could you cast this guy was it only for the poster ? cause it sure looks like it.

Rickard Lindquist

Good insight for young people

Author: Katrina Gubbins (turtles_r_my_pals@hotmail.com) from Adelaide, Australia
6 November 2005

As i am only a 17 yr old i only know of the legend that is Elvis and have heard his music. Without knowing much about his life and the truth behind the voice this series shows people of all age the truth. I found this mini series as great insight into the life and legend of Elvis. I believe Ryhs-Myers looks a lot like young Elvis and this helps captives the audience. As we are able to determine that this show is in fact about Elvis and it is not just a rip off. This also en-captures the audience because they don't want some phony movie, they want something authentic. The use of real life recordings of Elvis singing is excellent, although some of the timing is a bit off but u can still get the effect the producers are trying to put forward. I thought the ending was a bit poor, but apart from that i thoroughly enjoyed the Elvis 'movie.'

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]