IMDb > Elvis (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Worth Watching

Author: yamamama411 from United States
11 May 2005

I didn't know how Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was going to pull off playing Elvis after having just seen him in The Velvet Goldmine. After watching for 5 minutes, I thought I was watching The King himself. Talk about great acting! Randy Quaid was very good as 'Colonel' Tom Parker as well. I couldn't really warm up to the actresses that played Priscilla or Ann-Margret though.

What a cool behind the scenes glimpse of the life of Elvis. On the outside, he seemed as if he could do anything. Deep down, he was just human like the rest of us.

Very much worth watching. :)

Long live Elvis........

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
19 June 2015

Jonathan Rhys Meyers really did a good job on playing the King of RocknRoll, but I would've loved to have heard his own singing voice rather than the recording of the real Elvis' voice. It was really annoying, I suppose he didn't want to show off his own sexy singing voice haha.

Anyways, I really enjoyed learning more about Elvis himself. He seems to be such an ambitious gentlemen that you really couldn't keep up with him and his talking! Boy, you surely don't wanna mess with the King! It was shocking to hear when he was at a show, instead of moving around his legs, he had to use his finger to jazz around instead. I mean what was the big deal for not wanting to move his legs when performing??

I wish he was still alive today, he would've been proud that an actual Irish guy played himself on his own biopic movie. Long live the king <3

Incredible

Author: the_Poppuns
12 May 2005

I think Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was just fantastic in the role of Elvis. I have been a fan of JRM since I first saw him in Velvet Goldmine and if you had asked me to pick someone to play Elvis I would have never come up with his name. From the first minutes of this movie I couldn't believe how similar his portrayal was to the Elvis I've always seen. I actually thought at one point that they were sneaking Elvis footage into the performances. Watching it I was reminded of how blown away I was by Jamie Foxx last year playing Ray Charles, but in that case I wasn't as familiar with Ray Charles. Even though I was 4 when Elvis died I've watched his movies several times over, the concerts, the retrospectives, and my "favorite Elvis" was always the Comeback Special Elvis. So as I'm sitting there watching this performance I'm constantly amazed at these flashes of perfection, that just came one after another after another. And by the time you get to'If I Can Dream' in the Comeback Special you should be rocked to the core with how amazingly brilliant JRM was. I can't get over it. As a fan if you watch something like Love Me Tender, then Flaming Star, then maybe Live a Little, Love a Little (my favorite), you know that those are 3 different Elvises. As time went on he carried himself differently, spoke differently, just matured into his persona as the King, and Jonathan got all of those little nuances. I'm severely impressed. This is his breakout performance.

The rest of the movie, was good too. I'm assuming it was mostly accurate. If that's the case something I never knew was that Elvis tried to get rid of the Colonel. I wasn't alive back then so maybe real fans knew that but I was surprised by it. Randy Quaid is always great. I knew nothing about Elvis' dad so I can't say anything about Robert Patrick except that I've always loved him too. :D Camryn Manheim was great because at the end of part one, I forgot it was her. All this movie did was make me want more Elvis. Everyone who has ever liked Elvis, even a little bit, or likes to watch excellent acting, should check it out. And for younger fans who didn't grow up as the events of the story were playing out, it's informative as well.

Good insight for young people

Author: Katrina Gubbins (turtles_r_my_pals@hotmail.com) from Adelaide, Australia
6 November 2005

As i am only a 17 yr old i only know of the legend that is Elvis and have heard his music. Without knowing much about his life and the truth behind the voice this series shows people of all age the truth. I found this mini series as great insight into the life and legend of Elvis. I believe Ryhs-Myers looks a lot like young Elvis and this helps captives the audience. As we are able to determine that this show is in fact about Elvis and it is not just a rip off. This also en-captures the audience because they don't want some phony movie, they want something authentic. The use of real life recordings of Elvis singing is excellent, although some of the timing is a bit off but u can still get the effect the producers are trying to put forward. I thought the ending was a bit poor, but apart from that i thoroughly enjoyed the Elvis 'movie.'

Deeper side of The King

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
5 June 2005

I am still to this day surprised we haven't seen a multi million dollar Oliver Stonesque biopic of The King of Rock and Roll. He still to this day is one of the most popular historical figures of all time and his life is still masked in much mystery and such a great story. Nonetheless TV director and writer James Steven Sadwith does his utmost in this better than average Television film.

"Elvis" gives us a look at The King just prior to his fame, and his reshaping of music history. The film really focus's in on his personality, loves, family, money, career, fears and his love of music. The film touches on some of his bigger moments, such as his film career which he desperately wanted and his relationship with the man who helped him get where he was, The Colonel. Elvis continues on through Elvis joining the army and then his triumphant rise back to fame after getting out.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers does a great job as Elvis. There are probably more impersonators for this character than anyone else in the world so it's not a tough gig but it's tough to pull off a really good character performance of Elvis and Rhys-Meyers is just amazing. The film really does focus in on his own personal demons and life and feelings so it really magnifies his performance but he pulls it off with the exception of one MAJOR thing in my opinion...the singing. I don't blame him in this case because his lip syncing is dead on...but the music itself is so off balance, often sounding scratchy and old and NOT live the way it is supposed to be. It never seems believable and that's a major fault for the whole film. The rest of the cast is also remarkable in their roles. One of the best in the film is Camryn Manheim as Gladys Presley. She is the most emotional of the characters and so believable and heartfelt, she MUST get an Emmy for this role. Her relationship with Elvis is so clearly created that it's touching and important to everything. Their charisma together is wonderful. Randy Quaid who is lacking a good performance since...well a LONNNNNG time does a great job as the greedy, and powerful 'Colonel' Tom Parker. He is riveting!! The only second downside to this film is it doesn't quite take it far enough...it has you just riveted to your seat ready to go on with these characters till the end but they chose to end the film with Elvis' comeback special which really leaves out so much of Elvis and his downward spiral. Nonetheless no Elvis fan will be disappointed and it's worth seeing absolutely!! It's just not as good as it could have been. 8/10

overall pretty good, could slightly improve

Author: Brianna
11 May 2005

I saw this mini series, as I am a gigantic Elvis fan, although it's before my time. I missed a bit of the first one but what I saw of the first and second were awesome. I thought that the character who played Elvis looked the part much more than previous Elvis's. I was slightly disappointed with Priscilla, not to say that the actress was unattractive, she wasn't but she didn't look much like the real thing. Same for Ann Margaret. I was disappointed come the end of the movie, but that's me. Overall, this was a good movie to watch and it was informative for the people who don't know a lot about the Presley's and are interested.

So far so good

Author: fleance-1 from Stoughton, Wisconsin
8 May 2005

The premiere of "Elvis" was just on NBC. Johnathon Rhys Meyers does deliver a very faithful performance as The King. The whole cast is very strong and supporting. This could be the best mini-series of the year. Johnathon Rhys Meyers will have to get some kind of award of his performance. I was also impressed with Randy Quaid who plays Colonel Tom Parker, the evil manager. But we will have to wait until Wednesday for the entire review. If you are a die-hard Elvis fan, or not even, you really should see this mini-series. I will write a full review after the conclusion episode.

So far: 8/10

A sick attempt to discredit

Author: kary-470-755783 from Australia
7 September 2012

Firstly l think JRM is a really good actor but not right for the portrayal of Elvis at all. JRM is a good looking man but Elvis had more than just good looks. JRM was only being directed to go through the motions, he wasn't tall enough to be believable.

The part of the singer special or 68 comeback, when Steve Binder asks Elvis to go out on the street in LA,so Elvis could see that the modern 60s people wouldn't recognize him, isn't what really happened, it was the opposite & Elvis was mobbed, so for that untruth as well as not showing how Elvis was sympathetic happy & warm to everyone in his life & not just his mother,l feel the producers did not do their full research for this movie, they are not Elvis fans & should not be allowed to do that. I hope that just one movie will be made in my life time that diverts just a fraction from Elvis being a dark,moody,pill popper & tell the future generations more of the goodness in him.

This is very bad..

Author: rickardlindquist from Sweden on my way so Santa Barbara
12 December 2005

This was a very bad movie .. Jonathan who played Elvis was so boring to watch he had nothing but a face that in some scenes looked like Elvis .. This guy doesn't have any percent of the 100% charisma that The REal Elvis had .. He has no glow in is performance its to much over the top all trough the movie . The last scene If i can Dream is so badly lipped synced and played that i started to laugh i mean common!! Elvis had a little more sex appeal and nerve then this ... Bad bad bad bad CBS Did a Bad bad thing..Has this actor ever lay ed an eye on Elvis performances? i mean it looked as if he had watched the 68 comeback special like two times or something .. And his singing in the Sun Studio is awful its false and bad! bad! So i wonder how could you cast this guy was it only for the poster ? cause it sure looks like it.

Rickard Lindquist

Great performances

Author: TudorsFan2 from United States
9 May 2005

I was pleasantly surprised by the first part of this mini...mostly by the fine performance of Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Elvis. This is the first thing I've seen him in...and he totally nailed Elvis. He was charismatic, sexy, warm, vulnerable and totally believable. I also thought Randy Quaid and Cameryn M were superb. In fact, the acting is what made it so enjoyable. As a life-long Elvis fan, I was satisfied with most of the writing as well. There were a few small historical mistakes, but nothing major. Rhys-Meyers' winning portrayal more than made up for any inconsistencies. I have a feeling his Elvis may bring more younger fans into the Elvis fold. I'm looking forward to part two.

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]