IMDb > Rollin' with the Nines (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rollin' with the Nines

Rollin' with the Nines More at IMDbPro »

Outstanding film, a definite must see

Author: (dcoy@houston.rr.com) from United States
22 August 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I enjoyed the use of slang and the fact that it illustrates the adage "no honor among thieves." The film flowed really well and is up there among the top gangster films ever produced. Without spoiling the film, it reflects life in the fact that drugs dealers and the love of money are without colour or prejudice. Unfortunately, justice is not the same way. That being said, it's a must see. This film introduces some of the talents Britain has to offer. The most part, the acting was well done. I would've liked to have seen a bit more diversity in cultures, so the movie would've been a bit less stereotypical, but we don't get everything we want. It was still a fine film. I hope it gets released in the states soon. Ya done know!!! hee hee

For once you'll be cheering for the good guys!

Author: maniacfictionfilms from United Kingdom
23 April 2006

I saw Rollin' with the nines in Newham Showcase Cinema on Friday, and I was very pleasantly surprised! The first maybe 20-25 minutes was extremely hard to get into. It was a bit of a barrage on your senses getting thrown into this world at the deep end. However the film changes direction at the half hour mark and goes from strength to strength.

The best bit of the whole film was the first raid on the yardies. It was as good if not better then the Hollywood film Narc, which I love. It was really excellent, got the heart racing and was filmed brilliantly. Another nice scene was the tale of the Sawn off 12 gauge, original and clever.

Me and my mates who went to see it all agreed Rollin' was best when following the coppers. Weird I know, because after most gangster films it kind of makes you want to be a gangster, but the film shows those characters life's so brutally that after the film it kind of makes you want to a hard arse detective, even though they were 'corrupt' cops! The best performance is from Terry Stone, he has a real screen presence, stealing scenes away from seasoned Brit flick actors like Vas Blackwood and Jason Flemyng.

A really brilliant effort for a low budget British film, I hope it gets the cinema time it rightfully deserves, especially when their is rubbish like Scary Movie 4 out there clogging up our theatres! It may start very heavy for the average cinema goer but stick with it, because by the end you don't want it to end.

Violent, Realistic, Gore and Underrated Gangster Film

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
27 December 2006

In London, the former small time criminals and rappers Too Fine (Simon Webb), Finny (Vas Blackwood) and Rage (Roffem Morgan) release a hip-hop CD of their band "Time Served", promoted by their friend Pushy (Robbie Gee), expecting to be successful and make lots of money. But when the violent drug dealer Temper (Patrick Regis) murders Too Fine due to a debt on drugs, rapes his sister Hope (Naomi Taylor) and threatens their family, Hope kills Temper in his apartment sooner and Finny and Rage execute his partners in a night club. The dirty but efficient Detective Andy White (Terry Stone) and his partner investigate the murders and try to find and arrest the killers, while Finny, Rage, Pushy and Hope returns to the criminal life, associating to the former partner of Temper, the powerful gangster David Brumby (Billy Murray), dealing drugs on the streets.

"Rollin' With the Nines" is a violent, realistic, gore and underrated gangster film. I glanced some reviews, and I do not agree that the cast is not good; on the contrary, all of them have great performances, highlighting Terry Stone, who performs the corrupt, amoral, persistent and ambivalent detective. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "9 mm - O Preço da Vingança" ("9 mm - The Price of the Revenge")

good and bad

Author: bernie-122 from Sydney, Australia
20 September 2006

This film affected me profoundly; I had no reason to suppose I wasn't seeing an accurate depiction of the black subculture in Britain. I still don't.

I can't flaw the direction, acting or camera-work. Why I only gave it an 8 instead of 10 is because of the storyline.

*Spoiler* If you haven't seen the film, skip the next paragraph.

This film is different in that there are really no good guys. Sure, our hearts go out to Hope (Naomi Taylor) when her drug-dealing brother is whacked and she is beaten up. But can we really condone her taking his place? Here is where the morality wagon loses a wheel. In the end she gets away with murder and being a drug dealer. I couldn't help it, it made me feel kind of dirty for being on her side.

Apart from that little glitch, which is actually pretty important, I can hardly fault this piece of work. It has been reported that the film is technically flawed. Whatever factual inaccuracies it may have are only apparent to someone close to the scene and don't affect me, who has never been there. I was anyway left with the impression that the West-Indian subculture in Britain makes the Afro-American scene look relatively tame.

BritGrime

Author: Ali_Catterall from London, England
12 November 2009

There are a number of things you can rely on in the British film industry: the two most common kinds of movies will be historical dramas (they travel), and comedies featuring stars from UK TV sitcoms (which, with some rare exceptions - Four Weddings And A Funeral, Johnny English and Shaun of the Dead - don't).

Since the unprecedented success of Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels, there has been a third burgeoning genre - the London crime caper, often dressed up in sociologists' tweeds (see Kidulthood or the superior Bullet Boy), and whose cast has almost certainly served time in 'Casualty', 'EastEnders' and 'The Bill' (and in Simon Webbe, an ex-member of boy band Blue).

Rollin' With The Nines belongs squarely in this latter camp, but mostly dispenses with issues-led subplots in favour of a shoddy gansta caper revolving around coke deals and London's grime music scene. The film actually looks like an extended promo for Dizzee Rascal, who cameos, and does in fact climax with the very same, featuring more mature cast members, like Billy Murray, gyrating apologetically like disco dads.

Murray and Stone previously shared screen time in Hell To Pay, Dave Courtney's mind-boggling expose of the contemporary South London gangster scene which Rollin' superficially resembles, and they virtually reprise their roles here, as a drug lord and a bent cop respectively.

It's with no small measure of predictability then, that Vas Blackwood and an unhappy-looking Jason Flemyng pop up in Rollin' too - a sop to its Lock, Stock heritage. Even Flemyng's underwritten police chief is just called Captain Flemyng - an unforgivable lack of imagination taking into account the other signposted names on show, like Rage, Karnage, Too Fine and the self-explanatory Temper ("They call me Temper for a reason...").

There's a reasonably well-executed chase scene through a forest with police helicopters - quite striking in a UK film - Naomi Taylor is pretty good in her debut big screen role as the vengeful innocent-turned-drug-dealer Hope; and the soundtrack is at least credible. But if Rollin' had half the wit or dynamism of even Guy Ritchie's inaugural movie, it would have been a sight more enjoyable than this lazy, often dismally acted affair, calculated to appeal to 15-year-old schoolboys and Sizzla fans.

Ultimately, there's not much difference between this and Summer Holiday. At least, if Cliff Richard and Una Stubbs had had their faces sprayed off by baying yardies.

Good entertainment, guts, gore galore. . . .

Author: Jon Mull from United States
18 October 2006

and all about the black drug scene in London, who knew??? It's low budget, true, and it shows. Gets quite dodgy in parts, but once you make allowance for that this is a nice bit of entertainment, make you wince here and there, but hey,wincing is good. The actress who plays Hope is really quite good.

Also nice to see a black story with lot's black cast etc coming out of the UK, make the world aware that them bombocloth Jamaicans got their scene going on under the queens nose.

Good body count. The bust up in Carnage's place, gritty and that dump really looked like a dump. Nice use of a non-stick frying pan too!!! The portrayal of the cops is also gritty and interesting. All in all, a good use of 90 mins.

I could go for a part two and three if it's this intense. Come on UK, do your stuff. Get a better budget and hit me baby one mo' time.

rollin with masturbatory white boy fantasy

Author: filmtruth-1 from Fiji
7 October 2006

the other review for RWTN was published as a PR exercise by the film makers.

"You could polish a turkey and make his beak shiny but he will still be a turkey"

this film has no good vibes, you are meant to go to cinema to be entertained not disgusted.

Deeply offensive. not even cathartic*

guns = glamour (or so this film decrees)

would not be an issue but the makers use completely inappropriate tagging of their film that implies there is a sociological message to the piece when there is not,

nothing clever about this clichéd endorsement of criminality

A Very good Brti-flick, let down by silly little details

Author: Jamesb_2 from Manchester, Uk
1 September 2006

I watched this film last night and although i enjoyed it, i was left feeling a little disappointed as well. There is no need for me to explain the plot again, as this has been covered by other users. OK, so it isn't the most original story line, but it was carried off rather well. Naomi Taylor as 'Hope' was particularly good, as were most of the actors (with the exception of the wooden Police officers, especially Dominic Alan-Smith with his mono-tone voice).

The well commented on rape scene was disturbing and uncomfortable to watch and the night club assassination and Yardie crack den shoot outs were fantastically done and electrifying to watch.

What disappointed me were the little details. An undercover cop driving around a predominately black council estate, in a top of the range Range rover with a private number plate? Not very undercover really is it? I also got the feeling that the film had made compromises to suit the American market (a Captain in the British Police? and misdemeanour offences??). Some of the Police station scenes felt more 'Midsomer murders' than Yardie gangsta. Inexcusable really....

Call me picky, but little details can make or break a film and i was left feeling slightly disappointed that such obvious compromises to the overseas market had tainted what, in all other respects, was a very good film.

Hollywood take note, The New wave Of UK-Urban Box Office Hit's is about to be unleashed. Lock-Stock without the Jokes.

Author: Bashment-yout from United Kingdom
14 December 2005

Like 'Scarface' 'Rollin with the Nines' is set to be a cult movie. This Movie is all about a very hotly debated topic which is spiralling out of control namely "Black on Black" Gun Crimes in the UK. It's not about white cop's even though they play a small part. Let it be know this Movie is about Urban-Life in the UK, what we call "The grime". In the same way that movies like 'Boyz in the Hood' and 'Menace to Society' awoke the general American psyche this film is destined to do likewise. 'City of Gods' told a story which the general World-population was totally oblivious to and 'Rollin with the Nines'will no doubt have the same affect. The Lead is prodigiously played by VAS BLACKWOOD(Rory Breaker, Lock-Stock and Two Smoking) Who delivers Machiavellian style performance. Robbie Gee(Snatch)Commands the Screen with such poetic intimidation that he reminded me of a Young Samuel L. Jackson. The third male lead is played by Newcomer Roffem Morgan and trust me given the right breaks this Kid will become a Star. The Female lead is played Naomi Taylor. This is also Naomi first film debut and for her Stardom is only a plane ticket too Hollywood away. 'Rollin with the Nines' is a gun slinging, crime don't pay Hit Movie. Finally the soundtrack left me Breathless. Go see this movie.

A Brilliant London Gangster Film

Author: l_cobern1989 from United Kingdom
25 February 2008

There was only really one thing that made me give this film 8 stars and that was the acting. Sometimes it was good but most times it was bad. The only actors that was good through out the film were Naomi Taylor, Vas Blackwood and Robbie Gee. Apart from that i thought it was a really good film. For Julian Gilbey first film i thought he did a brilliant job. Told the story very well and kept it fast paced at all time with shoot outs and chases. The car chase was brilliant. Got all the right angles, especially when they did the shots in the helicopter and the chase that happened after that was a really good on foot chase with good stunts at the end of it. It was brilliant. The shoot out in the house was really good. The effects for the bullets was good and when they found those bodies, that was rank. looked really real. I mean for a low budget film they do a really good job which with all the stuff they did in it. One of the best features of the film is the brilliant soundtrack. Artist such as Dizzee Rascal, Kano, Shy Fx, Sizzla and many more produce some really good songs to go with the film.

All in all this is a very good low budget British gangster film. It is entertaining yet shocking at times when you think this stuff can be actually happening which makes it all the more gripping to watch. This is a must see for those people that really like gritty gangster films with a lot of violence in it.