IMDb > Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Best Game Ever

Author: Jack_Vykios from United Kingdom
5 February 2005

I have been looking forward to this game since I first completed Sands of Time, and for me, unlike many others, it failed to disappoint. It is definitely better than the Sands of Time, which was a very straightforward game, too easy, and completed within the day.

Yes, the Prince has grown up, and he is no longer a boy looking for his father's acceptance. He is not as lovable as the original prince. I do not believe this to be a bad thing, for it truly reflects the story. People who say otherwise either have a completely different opinion, or are too obsessed with the fact that the game isn't "Persian" enough to focus on the actual story.

The prince is darker, angrier, and with a definite edge to his personality. This, I found to be very enticing.

However, There are a lot of problems with the way characters are dressed. The women in this game are scantily dressed, especially Kailina and Shadhee, who seem to be practically naked apart from their thin garments and very revealing armour. The prince also has a strange armour. Everything except his chest is absolutely wonderful. His chest though...putting it lightly, it looks like he has breasts from certain camera angles.

The music is amazing, still retaining much of the Arabian style, although others may have missed this due to the strength of the Heavy Metal in the background. It is all a matter of taste, really. Don't like the music? Turn the music off and turn on your stereo. There, problem solved.

The graphics are spectacular, letting you see true contrast between the past and "present". However, I regret that the graphics were dumbed down for the PS2 version of the game. Really, this is a game made for the X-Box, since it's that that has a lot of the cool features...although I've only played on the PC and PS2 versions of the game.

Fighting, as Ubisoft promised, is breathtaking. However, it is not quite as "free-form" as you might think. I found myself repeating the strongest moves in the game over and over, as I'm sure many others have as well. It is still strongly a free-form fighting system, nonetheless. You just have to learn how to use it.

I am definitely looking forward to a sequel. I suggest you go out and buy/rent this game, and see just how much better it is than the Sands of Time, which was undoubtedly good in its own right.

Brawns and brains required .

Author: Merklin from United Kingdom
25 May 2005

Prince of persia : the warrior within is an excellent game that reveals its greatness as you progress. It starts off a bit run of mill with our moody hero slicing up bad guys, but things take a turn for the best when you get to the island . From here on its mind bending challenge after mind bending challenge- each more well thought out and engrossing than the last .

The graphics are very dark and atmospheric and the gameplay is great too. The character of the prince feels nice to control as he runs across walls , swings on poles and does tons of cool acrobatic tricks.

Prince of persia : warrior within is a challenging and fun game that requires brawns ,brains and an appreciation of wicked looking back flips and stuff.

One of the best video games ever made.

Author: jomama701 from United States
22 May 2005

Okay, before I go i want you to know that i like 'The Legend of Zelda_ The Ocarina of Time' better.

But other than that it is my favorite game ever.

The graphics are Superb. through out the game they make it more beautiful and enjoyable. if you play close attention you will realize how realistic they are. they make you feel like that you are the prince. and you are the one fighting and jumping and racing etc. last for the graphics, are the cut-scenes. never have i seen anything that looks more like real life than these cut-scenes. i watched in awe the first time i looked at them.

And for story. this would have to be the best plot i've ever experienced for PS2. 'Prince of Persia_Sands of Time' did a good job in opening up a great story and closing it. and Warrior Within did even better at reopening it and turning into something so Intriguing as this.

And now for action. to say the least, you will never an action game so intense, violent, acrobatic, stylish and FUN!!!!!.

so, to some it all up, 'The Prince of Persia Warrior Within'is the best and most exciting game since 'The Legend of Zelda_ The Ocarina of Time'.

I'd give it 10/10

Great game

Author: Robertino Ruffinelli from Asunción, Paraguay
2 April 2009

This game came to me by accident. About two years ago a friend of mine was trying to install it on his computer, but luckily to me his computer was not running very well so he asked me if he could give it a try on mine. I had very little idea about the game, a couple of years before I watched the Two Thrones announce but still it didn't appeal to me.

When I got to play this since it worked very well on my computer I got instantly dragged into the world of Prince of Persia again (I used to play the first installment of this series a long time before). I think this is an excellent game. It has everything in the Adventure/Action genre. You are able to perform incredible acrobatics in order to avoid the classic traps from the original game (Blades, those sharp thing that come out of the floor, etc.) You have tons of deadly combos to use in the different minions, but above that all is the use of time. The features to control time are for example going back for a few seconds (to avoid a fall for example) slow motion for everyone and everything except for you, increase your speed, etc. with incredible results.

Even if the adventure takes place in a castle (and a bit in your ship), it's still a really big castle where you can get lost(I don't like games that show you every step to win them, therefore you never get lost and always know what to do without doing some exploring, like God of War, which was the only title that I liked despite the characteristic mentioned above). So you can be sure there's a lot of adventure in Prince of Persia.

Many people don't like this new aggressive, darker prince, but I think it works better this way. The prince is a bit soft for my taste in "The Sands of Time" and in "The Two Thrones", and I said a bit because he is a terrific main character. But I prefer the non-typical hero, and this darker prince fits that role very well. The other two titles intended to be little funny while this one didn't. An example would be some conversations between Farah and the prince in "The Sands of Time" and another would be a conversation between the prince and the dark prince in "The Two Thrones". Now about the soundtrack, there's no doubt that the other two surpassed this one. That is the only negative aspect I found in this title.

Overall this game is really great and might be enjoyable for everyone. It is for me the best game in the sands trilogy. It kept me wanting more.

The best computer game i have ever played!

Author: YOG DOG from Sweden
9 August 2006

when i bought the game i felt like it had been a stupid thing to do, i had read that the game wasn't as good as sands of time. although i did like that game, but this one had cost 200sek more. the previews said that the Prince had lost his personality, and was not really a character to like anymore. but when i started playing the game i couldn't stop. i finished the game in 4 days or something like that, and at least half of that time i was stuck with the empress of time, thats the only problem with all prince of Persia games, the bosses (if i can say it like that)are to hard. and in warrior within the firs boss comes after 10 minutes. but it is still the best game i have ever played, because the thing of playing in the same rooms and in the same maps, but in different times, thats excellent. and the whole chapter with the sand-wraith was excellent, and when i found out the story behind the sand-wraith, and why he was following me, i liked the game even more! in the whole game i only found two things that they had missed doing the game and they didn't really matter. the first was that there is some kind of lever where the Prince runs up a wall and hang himself onto the lever to weight it down, the lever starts going down before he touches it... and; when he first gets to the island of time he has no sword, so he grabs a peace of wood to overcome a couple of birds, and when he puts the peace of wood where the sword should be, you can hear the metallic sound of a sword against metal... but those misses doesn't really matter at all. and i'll say it once more, this is the best game ever created...

I Love It!

Author: boardbrtn from United States
25 December 2004

This games predecessor was my favorite game of the year last year and this one does'nt disappoint.

If your favorite part of the first one was the combat your in luck.

but everyones favorite part of the first was obviously the acrobatic stunts and this one, again fails to disappoint....

My really only complaint is that the character isn't as lovable as he is in the first one.

He's a real bad ass now

Graphix: 9/10 Sound: 9/10 Gameplay: 9/10

Overall: 9/10 A+

Fury is unleashed

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
8 April 2009

This picks up after the previous one, and does so well. The basic stuff is the same, with some tweaks(among them, notable improvements). The plot is summed up, since it relates to that of this one(which is quite good, and very nearly has everything coming together as well as that of the prior one). Between the two, The Prince has changed... I suppose being mercilessly hunted down by a seemingly unstoppable force will do that to a man(you are chased by it, as well, in highly intense and exciting portions). Almost all of the emo is gone, and, well, he's turned into a sheer bad-ass, which fits the surroundings and, well, all of this production. With this comes one of the new things to this: The Free Form Fighting System. This adds a lot of attacks, around 50, including about 30 combos... only a few are in The Sands of Time. Sadly, this is at the cost of the amazing updated chess-match style combat of aforementioned, where you need tactics, countering your opponent and skill(the rest of this still requires that, as well as the patience and trained fingers that the former did), and you're left with typically being free to just spam powerful strikes. There are two entire sets of swordplay: A single blade, and one for having something in the other hand, as well. And that can be a variety of weapons: Maces, daggers, axes... 50+ individual ones, total. You can pick up what others drop, or you can smash one of the plenty of cases of them. You can even throw the secondary one straight into someone else... and you'll literally see it there, sticking out of them. There is a greater amount of battle in this than before in these, and sometimes they last longer against the specific ones. Unfortunately, it gets to be too much, and they wind up being annoying. This one heals you right before saving(not counting the Auto ones, that you don't control and can't return from if you quit), with next to no exceptions. Apart from that, this is tougher than the one it immediately succeeds(it does have three difficulties, however), but it may also be shorter... it does have at least two different endings, though. There are also unlock-ables, artwork, and even videos, behind-the-scenes type and others, to give more re-playability still. They went overboard on the Bosses... the frequency is silly, so many in this, at the length it is... and the last one can be downright ludicrous in how hard it is. You have, well, gain, the same abilities(and new ones) as last time around, and this has Tutorials, as well... it also has a pretty nice slow-motion death feature, that you can adjust, and it's got subtitles. The story develops nicely, and it's a marvelous idea. It is not as vague and has less mystery, not as much room for interpretation, as that of the one this is the direct sequel to. This has a few bugs, but I didn't run into any big ones. The puzzles are well-done, and they tend to make sense. The story-telling ranges, but the cut-scenes are effective and well-directed when at their best. The CGI is astounding. The graphics and animation are smooth, crisp and excellent. Realistic water, dust, etc. The lighting is stunning. The engine is close to the same as the first of this new trilogy, which also means that the camera problems remain. You won't always get to move it the way you want to, and if it suddenly turns on its own, you'd better be prepared to press the corresponding directional keys right away. You still have regular, First Person view and the panoramic one. This does still not happen all that often. The enemies are well-done, and the AI is almost exclusively not half bad. They don't only block, now, they also dodge. The team decided to throw in taunts, and this can get goofy, as it has elsewhere. And please don't ask me why there are vampiric dominatrixes in this. The types of foes are fairly diverse. This takes place in the same location, with numerous areas... however, it also operates in the past along with the present, so you'll see the appearance of them in not only one, no, two periods. You'll want to remember what you work your way past... chances are you'll pass it again. Thus, this is the first of these to give you a map, not to mention put you in a situation where you *need* it. The level design is remarkable. This is definitely darker than the earlier ones... there is blood and some gore(although that does not reach the heights of the original two), you can grab a stranglehold and proceed to cut across the torso, and slice those you are up against in half, etc. The tone is bleak, grim. The humor from the one that precedes this of the recent ones is largely gone. This is arguably a tragic tale, more-so than that. It can be downright disturbing. The music is mainly hard rock, yet there is a somber orchestral(well, on piano) score, as well. And there is Persian-style tunes, they're just integrated into aforementioned heavy metal... think of it as remixing. If you're into brooding and awesomeness, you should get a real kick out of this. I sure did. The audio in general is rather well-done... the voice acting is marvelous. The character writing is credible. Sounds all seem right. This brings a couple of traps into the series that haven't been done before, and alter a thing or two. Acrobatics are pretty much the same. Violence is perhaps a relative matter here. The nudity is once again as close as they can come without it actually revealing anything. I recommend this to any fan of the franchise, the concept, and/or the continued adventures of the Persian heir to the throne, who simply will not spill the beans on what on Earth his name is. 8/10

More darker than the previous one...

Author: nathan_franklin2006 (nathan_franklin2006@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
26 April 2007

After thoroughly enjoying the previous game, The Sands of Time, I was excited to find that Ubisoft were creating a sequel to it. At first, Warrior Within may look like your typical goth-brawling epic, but look behind the daunting colours and you've got an action adventure/platform romp that will challenge you in many hours of incredible game play.

In this game, you play as the Prince as he attempts to change his fate to die before the guardian of time, the Dahaka kills him. You can still do all the acrobatic moves and stunts that were available in the first game and more (including the ability to slide down curtains using your sword as a brake), but the thing that has improved the most is the combat. Now, you pick up temporary secondary weapons and chain together buttons to execute blood-spilling combos. It's good, because The Sands of Time's battles were rather linear with few combat moves. This game has over 50 combos to slice and dice your enemies with.

Thanks to a magical Medallion, the Prince can use the Sand Powers that made Sands of Time's game play so unique - rewind time, slow down time and learn some new sand moves (including a cool move called Ravages of Time which lets you hack away at enemies at breakneck speed). Unlike the previous game though, you can only obtain up to six sand slots - in Sands of Time you could have MUCH MUCH more. This is a particularly bad feature of the game because it feels like it's been downgraded a bit. Also, Power Tanks are not included - every sand move (even the Slow-mo move) consumes at least one sand tank. Later powers often cost even more. This provides an unfair element to the game, seeing as Power Tanks were in the original.

This is a very good game. despite minor elements of bad features, it is still worth buying. You should get it definitely if you had the last one.

Flawed story but the bad-ass Prince kicks ass!!!

Author: Nikhil Hirani
8 March 2016

WW (Warrior Within) takes place 7 years after the events of SOT (Sands of Time), it is the 2nd game in the Sands of Time trilogy. The Prince is now a shadow of his former self: he hasn't shaved in ages, he sports tattoos, curses "bitch" at a scantily clad woman who tries to kill him and screams when he kills enemies. The Prince is not out to save the world, he's out to save himself at the cost of anyone who gets in his way.

The reason: Dahaka. A mythical beast who is the Guardian of the Timeline is trying to kill him because of the events of SOT – in the end, the Prince altered the Timeline making sure that events of SOT never took place at all (he remembers everything though). The Prince reasons that if he journeys to the mysterious Island of Time and stop the Sands of Time from ever being created, the Dahaka will leave him alone.

Similar to SOT, WW takes place in confined environments where you as the titular Prince use acrobatic skills to navigate the environment from A to B. Unlike SOT however, WW is a semi open-world, there is no linear path and you have to backtrack quite a lot.

While this may sound boring, due to the time portals scattered throughout the island, you travel between the past and the present, the familiar areas change and become more challenging and interesting. WW's platforming is more slower and requires more patience in some sections especially with the discs of death and sword and spikes from the ground. However the sepia toned Dahaka chase sequences are superb and bring the much needed thrills, as you free-run for your life to escape the seemingly immortal beast who has chased you throughout the years. The dark environment fits the game perfectly. However the camera still acts funny sometimes.

The biggest change however is the combat system. I love it. The new free from fighting system has you hack and slash, block, counter attack, throw and strangle enemies who attack you simultaneously in groups. You can even wield secondary weapons (temporarily) by stealing from enemies and acquiring them by destroying weapon caches. There are around 50 secondary weapons and many hidden ones too (not sure of the number though). You can even use your acrobatic abilities and the environment to your advantage in combat. The variety of enemies is amazing and it is satisfying to kill them all. Also great are the boss fights which require you to use all your tactics. The game doesn't shy from violence, all fights are bloody gorgeous.

And you of course have the Sands of Time to undo your mistakes should you make too many. You also gain new Sand Powers such as the Sandstorm which can instantly kill enemies but deplete all your Sand Tanks. NOTE: compared to SOT, you only have 6 Sand Tanks, you cannot upgrade for more.

The game has two different endings depending whether you have all the health upgrades and obtained the Water Sword or not. Both are pretty good but only one of them is canon and continues into the Two Thrones.

Technically the game is superb, I liked the soundtrack, heavy metal guitar with Arabian sounds in between. It suits the game. The graphics are good (though some glitches and pop-ups occur) but the cut-scenes are bad, they look as if they were made in the 1990s.

The story is much darker than SOT, but also full of plot holes. The character Kaileena, is pretty annoying at first but not bad to look at(Monica Bellucci was the character's model and voice actress), you eventually warm up to her, though I don't understand why the Prince would fall in love with her.

1. Dahaka's weakness is water, yet it manages to arrive at the ISLAND of time!

2. How the hell the Prince not know this and survive for 7 years?!

3. If Kaileena created Shahdee, why does not she destroy her if Shahdee tries to boss around and even tries to kill her?

4. If Shahdee is out of time, why does the Dahaka not try to kill her too?

5. The Prince uses the Mask of the Wraith to become the Sand Wraith and travels back in time to stop his past self from killing Kaileena. The Dahaka then kills his past self, how is he still alive?

6. In the "bad" ending, the Dahaka kills Kaileena and takes the Medallion of Time from the Prince's breastplate. Therefore preventing the Sands of Time and the Artifacts of Time from ever being created. But Kaileena's death was supposed to activate the Sands of Time, that would mean that the events of SOT never happened (again). But when the Prince travels back to his home he sees war. What the hell is going on?!

7. If the Sands are created because of Kaileena's death, how is the Prince able to use the Sand Powers in the past where Kaileena isn't dead?

Anyways to conclude this review, the game gets an 8/10 for superb combat, platforming, graphics, and kick-ass soundtrack. Try not to think too much about the story and cut-scenes though.

My all time favorite game...albeit with flaws

Author: Polonius85 from United States
29 February 2016

I don't know how many times I've played Warrior Within in the past decade. When this game came out, it was my Netflix series before Netflix series were a thing: I had to binge play so that I could see what was going to happen next. The game play is dynamic and it doesn't get old quickly like Sands of Time did. The graphics were excellent for its day, and it wasn't so hard you constantly got stuck, but not so easy that you could necessarily breeze through it and be done in just a single afternoon (plus, unlike some video gamers, I like to go outside and get exercise, so that extended the time in which I was involved with this game!). Plus, like a good movie, you want to do it over and over again even after you've gotten to the end.

The storyline was excellent, really fit for a good film! It followed the first game very well in terms of continuity all things considered, and character development was very good. The Prince is much darker and brooding than he was in the first game, but he's not yet an anti-hero, or a villainous protagonist like Kratos from the God of War series. He's still good, though now selfish and humorless. Kaileena, voiced by the beautiful and famous Monica Bellucci, acts as both a powerful antagonist and a conflicted love interest of the Prince. Throughout the game, it's left unclear whether your job is to save or kill her, and different choices made by the Prince will ultimately decide which one you'll do (kill or save). The Dahaka chases were always intense, especially when they dragged on for long periods of time; one little mistake like a missed jump or a hesitation and you're dead. All in all, this story-driven game keeps your interest and is often very intense and emotional.

Now, this game isn't perfect, and if it ever got rebooted, there's some glaring issues that need to be resolved. First, the game play can be glitchy; this was unfortunately made in the days before instant updates and patches, so the glitches have stuck around. It's not a constant problem, and I've gotten through a good number of games without a freeze or a glitch, but it's happened enough times that it's noticeable.

The other problem is in the dialog and the female characters. First, the dialog is very poorly written compared to the first game. Everything is rigid and characters reply to one another in an almost non sequitur fashion. I also groaned loudly when the Prince declared "At first the Dahaka filled me with fear, but now, it fills me with RAGE!!" Even Monica Bellucci and Robin Atkin Downes, accomplished actors, couldn't really make the script not sound amateurish.

Now, for the women in the game: It's possible to have a female character be beautiful and sexy without having them be obnoxiously sexualized. But having the Empress's henchwoman, Shahdee, fighting in a metal thong and bustier is not doing that very well. That was less powerful woman and more sexual fantasy roll play. And Kaileena, an immensely powerful woman, chooses to wear a revealing tunic that appears to be more like a designer Sports Illustrated swimsuit than a tunic...with high heeled knee boots? Really? In Ancient Persia? C'mon man! I'm a red blooded heterosexual male, but this was too much! They could have animated the women to be sexy without being exploitative...but they didn't.

The final problem: The end of the game in the 2nd ending (if you get the Water Sword) was confusing, and Ubisoft didn't really clear it up in the next game.

Okay, so I gave a few complaints about this game, but it's because I've had a lot of time with it. But my 8 of 10 star rating should be a hint of where I stand. One of my favorites, and one that brings back a lot of good memories!