IMDb > Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Best Game Ever

Author: Jack_Vykios from United Kingdom
5 February 2005

I have been looking forward to this game since I first completed Sands of Time, and for me, unlike many others, it failed to disappoint. It is definitely better than the Sands of Time, which was a very straightforward game, too easy, and completed within the day.

Yes, the Prince has grown up, and he is no longer a boy looking for his father's acceptance. He is not as lovable as the original prince. I do not believe this to be a bad thing, for it truly reflects the story. People who say otherwise either have a completely different opinion, or are too obsessed with the fact that the game isn't "Persian" enough to focus on the actual story.

The prince is darker, angrier, and with a definite edge to his personality. This, I found to be very enticing.

However, There are a lot of problems with the way characters are dressed. The women in this game are scantily dressed, especially Kailina and Shadhee, who seem to be practically naked apart from their thin garments and very revealing armour. The prince also has a strange armour. Everything except his chest is absolutely wonderful. His chest though...putting it lightly, it looks like he has breasts from certain camera angles.

The music is amazing, still retaining much of the Arabian style, although others may have missed this due to the strength of the Heavy Metal in the background. It is all a matter of taste, really. Don't like the music? Turn the music off and turn on your stereo. There, problem solved.

The graphics are spectacular, letting you see true contrast between the past and "present". However, I regret that the graphics were dumbed down for the PS2 version of the game. Really, this is a game made for the X-Box, since it's that that has a lot of the cool features...although I've only played on the PC and PS2 versions of the game.

Fighting, as Ubisoft promised, is breathtaking. However, it is not quite as "free-form" as you might think. I found myself repeating the strongest moves in the game over and over, as I'm sure many others have as well. It is still strongly a free-form fighting system, nonetheless. You just have to learn how to use it.

I am definitely looking forward to a sequel. I suggest you go out and buy/rent this game, and see just how much better it is than the Sands of Time, which was undoubtedly good in its own right.

Brawns and brains required .

Author: Merklin from United Kingdom
25 May 2005

Prince of persia : the warrior within is an excellent game that reveals its greatness as you progress. It starts off a bit run of mill with our moody hero slicing up bad guys, but things take a turn for the best when you get to the island . From here on its mind bending challenge after mind bending challenge- each more well thought out and engrossing than the last .

The graphics are very dark and atmospheric and the gameplay is great too. The character of the prince feels nice to control as he runs across walls , swings on poles and does tons of cool acrobatic tricks.

Prince of persia : warrior within is a challenging and fun game that requires brawns ,brains and an appreciation of wicked looking back flips and stuff.

One of the best video games ever made.

Author: jomama701 from United States
22 May 2005

Okay, before I go i want you to know that i like 'The Legend of Zelda_ The Ocarina of Time' better.

But other than that it is my favorite game ever.

The graphics are Superb. through out the game they make it more beautiful and enjoyable. if you play close attention you will realize how realistic they are. they make you feel like that you are the prince. and you are the one fighting and jumping and racing etc. last for the graphics, are the cut-scenes. never have i seen anything that looks more like real life than these cut-scenes. i watched in awe the first time i looked at them.

And for story. this would have to be the best plot i've ever experienced for PS2. 'Prince of Persia_Sands of Time' did a good job in opening up a great story and closing it. and Warrior Within did even better at reopening it and turning into something so Intriguing as this.

And now for action. to say the least, you will never an action game so intense, violent, acrobatic, stylish and FUN!!!!!.

so, to some it all up, 'The Prince of Persia Warrior Within'is the best and most exciting game since 'The Legend of Zelda_ The Ocarina of Time'.

I'd give it 10/10

Great game

Author: Robertino Ruffinelli from Asunción, Paraguay
2 April 2009

This game came to me by accident. About two years ago a friend of mine was trying to install it on his computer, but luckily to me his computer was not running very well so he asked me if he could give it a try on mine. I had very little idea about the game, a couple of years before I watched the Two Thrones announce but still it didn't appeal to me.

When I got to play this since it worked very well on my computer I got instantly dragged into the world of Prince of Persia again (I used to play the first installment of this series a long time before). I think this is an excellent game. It has everything in the Adventure/Action genre. You are able to perform incredible acrobatics in order to avoid the classic traps from the original game (Blades, those sharp thing that come out of the floor, etc.) You have tons of deadly combos to use in the different minions, but above that all is the use of time. The features to control time are for example going back for a few seconds (to avoid a fall for example) slow motion for everyone and everything except for you, increase your speed, etc. with incredible results.

Even if the adventure takes place in a castle (and a bit in your ship), it's still a really big castle where you can get lost(I don't like games that show you every step to win them, therefore you never get lost and always know what to do without doing some exploring, like God of War, which was the only title that I liked despite the characteristic mentioned above). So you can be sure there's a lot of adventure in Prince of Persia.

Many people don't like this new aggressive, darker prince, but I think it works better this way. The prince is a bit soft for my taste in "The Sands of Time" and in "The Two Thrones", and I said a bit because he is a terrific main character. But I prefer the non-typical hero, and this darker prince fits that role very well. The other two titles intended to be little funny while this one didn't. An example would be some conversations between Farah and the prince in "The Sands of Time" and another would be a conversation between the prince and the dark prince in "The Two Thrones". Now about the soundtrack, there's no doubt that the other two surpassed this one. That is the only negative aspect I found in this title.

Overall this game is really great and might be enjoyable for everyone. It is for me the best game in the sands trilogy. It kept me wanting more.

The best computer game i have ever played!

Author: YOG DOG from Sweden
9 August 2006

when i bought the game i felt like it had been a stupid thing to do, i had read that the game wasn't as good as sands of time. although i did like that game, but this one had cost 200sek more. the previews said that the Prince had lost his personality, and was not really a character to like anymore. but when i started playing the game i couldn't stop. i finished the game in 4 days or something like that, and at least half of that time i was stuck with the empress of time, thats the only problem with all prince of Persia games, the bosses (if i can say it like that)are to hard. and in warrior within the firs boss comes after 10 minutes. but it is still the best game i have ever played, because the thing of playing in the same rooms and in the same maps, but in different times, thats excellent. and the whole chapter with the sand-wraith was excellent, and when i found out the story behind the sand-wraith, and why he was following me, i liked the game even more! in the whole game i only found two things that they had missed doing the game and they didn't really matter. the first was that there is some kind of lever where the Prince runs up a wall and hang himself onto the lever to weight it down, the lever starts going down before he touches it... and; when he first gets to the island of time he has no sword, so he grabs a peace of wood to overcome a couple of birds, and when he puts the peace of wood where the sword should be, you can hear the metallic sound of a sword against metal... but those misses doesn't really matter at all. and i'll say it once more, this is the best game ever created...

I Love It!

Author: boardbrtn from United States
25 December 2004

This games predecessor was my favorite game of the year last year and this one does'nt disappoint.

If your favorite part of the first one was the combat your in luck.

but everyones favorite part of the first was obviously the acrobatic stunts and this one, again fails to disappoint....

My really only complaint is that the character isn't as lovable as he is in the first one.

He's a real bad ass now

Graphix: 9/10 Sound: 9/10 Gameplay: 9/10

Overall: 9/10 A+

Fury is unleashed

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
8 April 2009

This picks up after the previous one, and does so well. The basic stuff is the same, with some tweaks(among them, notable improvements). The plot is summed up, since it relates to that of this one(which is quite good, and very nearly has everything coming together as well as that of the prior one). Between the two, The Prince has changed... I suppose being mercilessly hunted down by a seemingly unstoppable force will do that to a man(you are chased by it, as well, in highly intense and exciting portions). Almost all of the emo is gone, and, well, he's turned into a sheer bad-ass, which fits the surroundings and, well, all of this production. With this comes one of the new things to this: The Free Form Fighting System. This adds a lot of attacks, around 50, including about 30 combos... only a few are in The Sands of Time. Sadly, this is at the cost of the amazing updated chess-match style combat of aforementioned, where you need tactics, countering your opponent and skill(the rest of this still requires that, as well as the patience and trained fingers that the former did), and you're left with typically being free to just spam powerful strikes. There are two entire sets of swordplay: A single blade, and one for having something in the other hand, as well. And that can be a variety of weapons: Maces, daggers, axes... 50+ individual ones, total. You can pick up what others drop, or you can smash one of the plenty of cases of them. You can even throw the secondary one straight into someone else... and you'll literally see it there, sticking out of them. There is a greater amount of battle in this than before in these, and sometimes they last longer against the specific ones. Unfortunately, it gets to be too much, and they wind up being annoying. This one heals you right before saving(not counting the Auto ones, that you don't control and can't return from if you quit), with next to no exceptions. Apart from that, this is tougher than the one it immediately succeeds(it does have three difficulties, however), but it may also be shorter... it does have at least two different endings, though. There are also unlock-ables, artwork, and even videos, behind-the-scenes type and others, to give more re-playability still. They went overboard on the Bosses... the frequency is silly, so many in this, at the length it is... and the last one can be downright ludicrous in how hard it is. You have, well, gain, the same abilities(and new ones) as last time around, and this has Tutorials, as well... it also has a pretty nice slow-motion death feature, that you can adjust, and it's got subtitles. The story develops nicely, and it's a marvelous idea. It is not as vague and has less mystery, not as much room for interpretation, as that of the one this is the direct sequel to. This has a few bugs, but I didn't run into any big ones. The puzzles are well-done, and they tend to make sense. The story-telling ranges, but the cut-scenes are effective and well-directed when at their best. The CGI is astounding. The graphics and animation are smooth, crisp and excellent. Realistic water, dust, etc. The lighting is stunning. The engine is close to the same as the first of this new trilogy, which also means that the camera problems remain. You won't always get to move it the way you want to, and if it suddenly turns on its own, you'd better be prepared to press the corresponding directional keys right away. You still have regular, First Person view and the panoramic one. This does still not happen all that often. The enemies are well-done, and the AI is almost exclusively not half bad. They don't only block, now, they also dodge. The team decided to throw in taunts, and this can get goofy, as it has elsewhere. And please don't ask me why there are vampiric dominatrixes in this. The types of foes are fairly diverse. This takes place in the same location, with numerous areas... however, it also operates in the past along with the present, so you'll see the appearance of them in not only one, no, two periods. You'll want to remember what you work your way past... chances are you'll pass it again. Thus, this is the first of these to give you a map, not to mention put you in a situation where you *need* it. The level design is remarkable. This is definitely darker than the earlier ones... there is blood and some gore(although that does not reach the heights of the original two), you can grab a stranglehold and proceed to cut across the torso, and slice those you are up against in half, etc. The tone is bleak, grim. The humor from the one that precedes this of the recent ones is largely gone. This is arguably a tragic tale, more-so than that. It can be downright disturbing. The music is mainly hard rock, yet there is a somber orchestral(well, on piano) score, as well. And there is Persian-style tunes, they're just integrated into aforementioned heavy metal... think of it as remixing. If you're into brooding and awesomeness, you should get a real kick out of this. I sure did. The audio in general is rather well-done... the voice acting is marvelous. The character writing is credible. Sounds all seem right. This brings a couple of traps into the series that haven't been done before, and alter a thing or two. Acrobatics are pretty much the same. Violence is perhaps a relative matter here. The nudity is once again as close as they can come without it actually revealing anything. I recommend this to any fan of the franchise, the concept, and/or the continued adventures of the Persian heir to the throne, who simply will not spill the beans on what on Earth his name is. 8/10

Great Sequel

Author: Shadowen_172 from United States
22 April 2005

Prince of Persia was a game that was by no means rated mature. This time however, the Prince is much darker,and the game play and story shows this. This game picks up about 5 years after the previous game. The prince is being stalked by the keeper of the time line the Dahaka. The Dahaka's only goal is to kill the Prince, and restore the time line. Also stalking the prince are the minions of the Empress of Time. In this game, the Prince's goal is to stop the Sands of Time from ever being created ,thus, the Dahaka would have no reason to stalk and kill him. Yeah, it's confusing. The classic Prince of Persia game play is back with a few new twists. You still have the ability to control time but there is a new combo fighting system which makes the game play even more enjoyable. You can also pick up fallen enemies weapons and use them. This makes the fighting even more intense. You can throw an axe or dagger, or chop off you enemies head with two swords. That brings me to the next addition to the game. Blood and gore. The game developers thought that it would be a good idea to add the blood and gore to the game to make it seem more realistic. In that they succeeded,and it was the best thing that they could of done to bring out the darkness of the story. Overall, this is a great game, and an improvement over the first.

A revolutionary masterpiece by UbiSoft

Author: Yousry
19 March 2005

This is probably one of the best computer games ever. The dynamic environments, the sounds, the brilliant music by Stuart Chatwood, the awesome visual effects, and the rich dramatic story loaded with surprises all integrate to create on of the finest gaming experiences ever. The creativity of this game shows in the vast variety of the enemies, weapons, not to mention the new brilliant fighting system. What also makes this game unique is the possibility of finishing it in two different scenarios (To fight the empress or the Dahaka) which I think is new to the gaming world. The soundtrack is great and showed some variation from that of Sands of Time especially in the integration heavy metal. I can't wait to the the sequel of this game.

Although the combats, enemies, weapons and environment elements are far more dynamic and variable than those in Sands of Time, I kind of prefer the atmosphere of Sands of Time especially the oriental music, which is more prevailing, the details of the Sultan's palace, and the costumes which seem more in line with the Persian style. Overall, this game is a revolution in the gaming world that redefines the genre of action games and is not to be missed by action lovers.

More darker than the previous one...

Author: nathan_franklin2006 (nathan_franklin2006@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
26 April 2007

After thoroughly enjoying the previous game, The Sands of Time, I was excited to find that Ubisoft were creating a sequel to it. At first, Warrior Within may look like your typical goth-brawling epic, but look behind the daunting colours and you've got an action adventure/platform romp that will challenge you in many hours of incredible game play.

In this game, you play as the Prince as he attempts to change his fate to die before the guardian of time, the Dahaka kills him. You can still do all the acrobatic moves and stunts that were available in the first game and more (including the ability to slide down curtains using your sword as a brake), but the thing that has improved the most is the combat. Now, you pick up temporary secondary weapons and chain together buttons to execute blood-spilling combos. It's good, because The Sands of Time's battles were rather linear with few combat moves. This game has over 50 combos to slice and dice your enemies with.

Thanks to a magical Medallion, the Prince can use the Sand Powers that made Sands of Time's game play so unique - rewind time, slow down time and learn some new sand moves (including a cool move called Ravages of Time which lets you hack away at enemies at breakneck speed). Unlike the previous game though, you can only obtain up to six sand slots - in Sands of Time you could have MUCH MUCH more. This is a particularly bad feature of the game because it feels like it's been downgraded a bit. Also, Power Tanks are not included - every sand move (even the Slow-mo move) consumes at least one sand tank. Later powers often cost even more. This provides an unfair element to the game, seeing as Power Tanks were in the original.

This is a very good game. despite minor elements of bad features, it is still worth buying. You should get it definitely if you had the last one.