IMDb > G-Force (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
G-Force

G-Force More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

What a waste of money and time!

Author: patrihawks from United States
25 July 2009

As a parent of two children, ages 6 and 8, my family sees a lot of movies and has been highly anticipating G-Force after all the hype that was placed on it. What a disappointment!! The funny parts that are shown on the trailers are not funny in the movie. There's a couple of scenes that might merit a chuckle; the use of the word "couple" is pushing it. Even my kids said that they were very disappointed because it was more of an action movie. Basically, all the decent parts were in the trailers. I usually don't dislike a movie this much, but I disliked this one enough to register here and make a comment about it since I use the reviews a lot myself. I'm really feeling jipped right now over this movie.

A team of highly trained rodents use their combined skills in covert special-ops

Author: goesling from United States
26 July 2009

Who doesn't like guinea pigs? I wouldn't be surprised if Cavy sales rise after the impression these CG 3-D specimens create in the PG audience. Their mouths alone are cutely depicted and entertaining in their own right.

I had read a small unflattering local review and didn't want to waste my time. My 8 yr. old Son, however, got his own idea from the trailers, and wondered how a "review" could possibly say it was "no good" as I had reported. So I took he and his 10 yr. old buddy to the matinée.

I'll admit there were a couple of wordy moments where the illusion was broken for me, but on the whole, with the involving 3-D effects, there were enough chuckles and action to leave me wondering why it was trashed. I've seen much worse. I liked it better than Alvin & the Chipmunks, and Up... but I think Monsters VS Aliens was more re-watchable.

As we left the chilly theater to enter the hot afternoon, I asked the boys what they thought. "It was awesome!" Well, not my exact thoughts but it wasn't a bad distraction from more serious current affairs.

Don't Waste Your Time

Author: cooleymlc from United States
25 July 2009

Our kids are grown, but being a 6th grade teacher, I talked my wife into going and seeing this. In the first half hour there was no laughter coming from the audience. The 3-D was OK, but I expected more from Disney. You can tell it wasn't the Pixar people behind this film.

I really expected to laugh and enjoy the FX ride, but the action sequences left me bored and I didn't fall in love with the characters. It was cute and might be OK for a 7,8 or 9 year old. Anyone younger won't understand the plot line and older kids will be bored. This film sure wasn't worth the ticket price.

It was just a disappointment all the way around for me. Maybe Bruckheimer will get it right next time.

It's quite good, actually.

Author: preetharoy from Singapore
24 November 2009

I don't understand why this movie has a current rating of 4.7/10. I loved it! True, some characters could have been given a meatier role. But overall this is a good, sweet one with plenty of action and excellent animation. Penélope Cruz sounds sexy (as usual), and Nicholas Cage is unrecognizable as Speckles the mole (I didn't know it was him until I saw the credits), but he's terrific. And though they appeared for a total of a little over few minute, Bucky the hamster (who is a quarter ferret) and the three mice were adorable.

I'll recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good laugh on a lazy afternoon. And for the kids! 7* out of ten!

Great family fun!!

Author: zena_1987 from United Kingdom
14 August 2009

I thought this film was great,i don't understand why it didn't get a higher score.

The storyline was fast paced, the animation and effects superb and the guinea pigs were generally funny.

I thought the cast really made the characters come alive,

I would definitely recommend this for families and children,

the people giving it a bad review are not those whom it was made for. It is simply just a fun action film for kids, its's not trying to be a tarentino masterpiece, Disney did a great job on making another great flick for the family! The play-station game is great too!!

Not exactly as bad as what haters are ranting about.

Author: helmutty from Singapore
5 September 2009

It is not all that bad, at least it tries its to be an enjoyable family movie flick. But as usual, Disney movies now are getting haters around the world due to its popular teens and live-action animals-talking movies. So now, when they see a live-action Disney movie whether it has teenagers singing or animals yapping away, they would be put off immediately. Whatever it is, G-force is fun with 3-D. Kids would like the cute animals coming near them.

The story: G-Force has a simple story which is also not creative. But that it is not what kids want, they would want to see action blazing through their ways. As this being a Jerry Bruckheimer production, you can expect at least a car chase and some explosion but only more mild. Trevor Rabin did a good work in creating epic music. Though a kid movie, expect some rude humour but also at the same time, some lessons to teach your kids.

Overall: Definitely not as bad as what haters say. In the end, it is just meant to be an enjoyable fun romp. You don't like animals talking, this is not for you. A good movie for the holiday. Just leave your brain at home if you want to enjoy this.

A fun adventure, but a cookie-cutter and ridiculous plot spoils it.

Author: Faisal-Hashmi
21 July 2009

G-Force, the family adventure by producer Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Caribbean), isn't a bad movie by any count and works as a fun kids movie. But a tired and formulaic plot means the movie is no 'must-watch' by any means and caters mostly to the little ones. The story follows a specially trained team of secret agent guinea pigs that work for the US government. Their mission is to stop an evil billionaire (Bill Nighty) who manufactures home appliances from taking over the world through a microchip he has planted in them.

To begin with the positives, the animation is top-notch. The guinea pigs look very photo-realistic and after a few minutes you forget they're CGI. There is an inherent cuteness factor to them, and just like last year's Alvin and the Chipmunks, the filmmakers know that this will be the biggest draw for kids and their parents. There are plenty of jokes to keep a smile on your face (although the toilet humor gets old after a while).

But that brings me to the story. How many times have you heard this: "Evil genius wants to take over the world and only the unlikeliest of heroes can save the world."? Too many to count, I imagine. And G-Force fits right into that category. The plot is tired and doesn't attempt to bring anything new to the table. There are subplots strangely similar to last year's Bolt, and the finale has an uncanny resemblance to Transformers. Aside from being predictable from the very start, the biggest problem here comes out in the final reels – the villain's motivations are laughably ridiculous. As if it wasn't hard enough to stomach the improbability in an evil billionaire's plan to take over the world by installing timed microchips in every home appliance he manufactures, the final act tries to implement a twist so ridiculous and far-fetched that one wonders what was going on in their mind when coming up with it. Sure, kids will chew it up, but adults are sure to gasp at the screen at the stupidity of it all. Still, lessons are learned and there's a bit of emotional quotient towards the end that makes partially saves it.

Another problem is the action scenes. There are too many of them, and most of them are uninvolving. The movie opens with a 10 minute long covert operation that gets tiring a quarter of the way through. And every other ten minutes or so comes another chase or mission that only serves as eye-candy and gets monotonous and unfocused, especially in the finale. The special effects are great, but what's the need for exploding cars and buildings in a kid's movie?

The voice acting is impressive. Sam Rockwell, Penelope Cruz, and Nicolas Cage do a great job bringing their characters to life. Bill Nighty plays a stock villain with no character development or motivation, and it comes across badly. Zach Galifianakis impresses as the leader of the team, but Will Arnett is wasted in a small and too serious of a role for a comedian of his caliber.

So is G-Force recommended? Mostly if you have kids or are between 3-13 years old. It's not a bad movie by a stretch (it's much better than last year's Beverly Hill Chihuahua) and you will not get bored in the theaters, but it's a shame that the movie could have been so much more. They had an interesting bunch of characters on screen, but unfortunately they settled on making cookie-cutter Hollywood fare than something truly unique.

Rating – 2.5 out of 5 stars.

This movie has something for everyone -- to hate!

Author: thefonzisgod from Canada
29 July 2009

Disney has hit rock bottom with this one. There's so many flaws it's hard to determine a good starting point.

First off, the characters are very unlikable. There's the typical straight character, stereotypical black g-sta, mysterious foreigner who is the object of aforementioned characters' desire, and jolly fat guy who likes food. Yes that's right, this movie makes a jolly fat guy unlikable, a feat I once thought impossible. Zack Galifianakis (Alan in The Hangover) plays the agent who trains all the guinea pigs, although not unlikable, was very boring. Although none of this was the actors' fault, they had very little to work with. Which brings me to my next point.

The script was terrible, every single joke that was written fell flat on its face. There were references to well known movies like Apocalypse Now, Scarface, and The Untouchables, but even those I couldn't find funny because it was as if the writers didn't put them in because it worked naturally, but rather set out to make references to the movies and just inserted them into any place that sort of made sense. There were also quite a few fart jokes in this movie, something that Disney never should have stooped to.

The music selections were nothing but the latest Top 40 hits, and each seemed to be used at least three times in the movie. Only once did I find that a song made sense for the situation.

For me, the only redeeming qualities were that the animation was very good, and Steve Buscemi's character, who I found mildly humorous. Also that it was a lot shorter than most of the other movies I dislike.

I understand that I'm not part of the target audience but if you're planning on taking your children to this movie, consider this, the kids in the theater only laughed once through out the entire movie. I would never see this movie again, it was truly a painful experience.

Probably the worse kids film I've ever seen at the cinema

Author: Neil Fawcett from United Kingdom
4 August 2009

OK, technically it's brilliant. Obviously a lot of money and effort has been thrown at the visuals, but unfortunately the plot and writing has come a distant second to this. The story is just about adequate, but the writing/dialogue is generally just dull dull dull.

There seems to be no intelligence or flair to it at all, leaving children at best just entertained by cuddly animals talking, and at worse adults wondering why they're having to endure such boredom.

I've seen a number of 'kids films' at the cinema and this has got to be the only one I've watch feeling so un-entertained by. Quite simply kids, and definitely parents, deserve better than this!

Kids and Kids-at-Heart will Surely Enjoy This

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
11 October 2009

"G-Force" is basically a kid's movie, so it should be judged as such. The story is about group of specially trained guinea pigs who were able to uncover a diabolical plan for world domination by the leading home appliance manufacturer. Not really a plot for an Oscar bait film, but for kids, it works.

Being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, the requisite slam-bang action sequences are also there. And since the characters animated, the possibilities for these sequences are limitless and only bound by the imagination of the animators. The guinea pigs are drawn to be very cute and lovable, and the audience is effectively drawn to root for them.

I personally enjoyed the voice talents. I liked Penelope Cruz' voicing of the sassy girl guinea pig Juarez. Her delivery of her lines was sure and sexy (for a guinea pig). Hehe. Nicholas Cage's voice work for Speckles the genius mole is topnotch, and unrecognizable as him. For the human characters, I was surprised at the credits that the G-Force trainer Ben was actually Zach Galifianakis. He is definitely the polar opposite here of his character in "The Hangover" where I first saw him.

Kids and the kids-at-heart will enjoy the cartoonish action of "G-Force". Hey, it is animated after all. Although with the excellent CG imagery of the animal characters are really so realistic. The kids and I had a great time. We did not even remember that we did not watch it in 3D. The action is very palpable even in regular 2D format.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]