IMDb > #1 Fan: A Darkomentary (2005) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

#1 Fan: A Darkomentary (V) More at IMDbPro »

Very funny satire of geeks and "Darko" nuts

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
21 March 2005

I purchased the "Donnie Darko Director's Cut" DVD and finally got around to viewing this "darkomentary." I thought it was a genuine one - the winner of a "Darko" fan contest, when in fact I later found out it's a hoax (supposedly) filmed by some of the crew of "Donnie Darko," without the knowledge of the film's director Richard Kelly (hence his confusion in this short).

Essentially it's about a geek named Darryl Donaldson who has a major obsession with "Donnie Darko" (he has about thirty copies of the DVD, all exactly the same, which he calls his shrine).

If you think this is real at first it's quite a shock because it's almost sickeningly pathetic. But once "Darryl" started singing to the Donnie Darko Soundtrack I realized it had to be a fake.

Still, fake or no fake, it's a very clever (and laugh-out-loud funny!) parody of "Darko" nuts and geeks in general - it's sort of scary to realize there are some people like this who lurk on the "Donnie Darko" and "Lord of the Rings" message boards on IMDb itself. Watch out!