IMDb > "The Family-Ness" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Family-Ness" More at IMDbPro »

Childhood favourite!

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
19 April 2006

'The Family-Ness' is probably a firm favourite of all those who were wee moppets in the mid-Eighties! I certainly remember this being a staple part of my television diet and tuning in to watch it every lunchtime.

The animated series centres around the Loch Ness (surprisingly enough!) where young Elspeth and Angus live with their father Mr McTout, the keeper of the Loch and a man who firmly believes the idea of the Loch Ness monster is just silliness. Of course, Elspeth and Angus know differently when they discover the Nessie family who live secretly in the Loch. The children have special whistles to call up the Nessies and, along the way, we get to meet various members of the family including Baby Ness, Her High-Ness and Silly-Ness.

The music was very cute and catchy and while the animation and stories are far from Disney/Pixar collaborations, they were enjoyable and fun. I'd love to see this repeated again since I think little children of today would be thrilled by it just as much as kids of my generation were.

Awful

Author: welshNick from United Kingdom
23 November 2009

Without a doubt one of the worst cartoons I have ever seen and further proof if it was needed that the Brits cannot make cartoon animations. The quite ridiculous accents that the two children (Angus and Elspeth) have ensure that this was never going to be exported - not surprising really.

The general plot was a family of loch ness monsters actually lived in the loch and the two kids could summon them using whistles made out of ..... wait for it ..... thistles !!!! All of this took place under the nose of the loch keeper who doesn't believe that the Master's exist. This used to be shown on Saturday mornings on the BBC.

This was really terrible - avoid though I doubt it will ever get repeated.