IMDb > "Afterlife" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Afterlife"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Afterlife" More at IMDbPro »

Magnificent

Author: Davo-CC from Brisbane, Australia
13 September 2005

This is really outstanding - one could perhaps compare it somewhat to "Medium" however it's darker and perhaps with a sadder tone; very well put together with superb, believable performances that you probably feel more than just see.

The characters reach out to you rather than just appear on the screen; it explores the notion of the "unwanted special gift" well and explore ridicule, disbelief and skepticism without falling for the normal clichés that we so often expect in this kind of feature.

The stories have original structure and the ongoing component is wholly necessary and not trivial; I was impressed.

The worst part is that there are only five episodes – fortunately I feel the ending was wide enough open to easily permit a 2nd season to come along, I really hope they do this as it has at least the promise that Medium has and perhaps a bit more in some ways.

Easily 5 stars out of 5 for me – if you get the chance to see it do so, very rewarding viewing.

Spookily thrilling... amazing

Author: katiehedley
7 October 2005

Although I wouldn't class it as terrifying, this certainly isn't one for the faint-hearted. The characters are well-developed and interesting, and I can never wait until the next episode. I can't believe there will only be six episodes! The first episode, about the girl and her lavender-scented mother, was predictable but still chilling and a good watch. The second, about the drowned girl, was fear-inducing, and made you think a lot. I really like the way it was done. Watch it if you can manage catch it - most of us have busy schedules nowadays! - but don't let your kids watch it, especially if they get nightmares easily. Overall, it's a spooky, fascinating take on a subject never really addressed or looked at in much detail, so I assume most people will find it quite unique and VERY different; I did, and I'm the world's biggest critic (well, sort of.)

Afterlife, my view on this great series!

Author: michellebooker21 from Australia
19 September 2005

Afterlife:- Sometimes we would like to believe that our loved one's are looking over us, our curiosity grows and we are left thinking of ghosts, spirits or entities, could they possibly exist? sometimes we need closure to a lost loved one and would do anything to have that, if there were a way. The unknown, it's interesting, frightening, hopeful and leaves you searching for answers, that's why I watched Afterlife, this was a great series, I really enjoyed it! I wasn't aware that there were only five episodes and felt very disappointed when it was all over. I can't say the ending came to much of a climax for me and I felt it was left open, possibly for another series? It would be great if they could manage to do another 5 episodes as I thought it was enjoyable different and entertaining and would definitely watch more episodes to come. Michelle

Brilliant mini-series!

Author: Rita G from Adelaide, Australia
13 September 2005

The final 2 hours of Afterlife aired here in Adelaide last night (9.30 - 11.30 pm!), and I was riveted throughout the entire screening (even though it ended well past my usual bed-time!.) No dozing off in the last hour of this! Gotta say that Lesley Sharp's performance in this 'mini-series' (and yes, I too thought this was meant to be a "series" and hope it will be) was/is simply stunning, totally believable, and in the final hours....breath taking! I think she is right up there for me now as a "favourite actor", and I've only ever noticed her in 'The Second Coming' before. Andrew Lincoln's performance as the learned, skeptical "ghostbuster" was outstanding also.

I loved the USA's "Medium", but, in comparison, found this series to be a much darker, grittier, warts-and-all portrayal of what it's like to be "blessed" with a psychic ability. (Is there something in the name "Alison" too?? Hmm!) Bravo Lesley and Andrew on some of the BEST TV viewing I have seen all year! (Took my mind off the Brits winning the Ashes yesterday too! LOL!) 5***** from me also!

All I can say is "wow"

Author: kate from United Kingdom
22 February 2007

Is it me or has the series afterlife really shone out from all previous and present television shows? it has an special effect on you where you are diving behind the sofa at one point, and crying your heart out the next. What A brilliant combination.

Not only does it provide entertainment, but it also shows an inside view at both medium-ship and scepticism. Before, we thought all that mediums did was perform Ouija boards, but not in this series. The beautiful performance by the wonderful Lesley Sharp as messed up and confused medium Alison mundy really did bring the series to life, and the outstanding Andrew Lincoln matched that as the un-believing sceptic Robert Bridge. These two characters were portrayed every week perfect, and yet it did not seem to bore you with the same two faces. the story lines were just as gripping, showing every day members of the public dealing with death in modern life. This was quite entertaining. well done everyone who worked on the show, it was magnificent!

Brilliant in every way

Author: BrunoLawrence from NZ
11 October 2005

This series has it all: excellent writing that is witty, terse, dramatic and thrilling. The direction is excellent too - edgy, scary, gripping with cinema-esquire cinematography. The acting is first class too - ordinary people dealing with affliction, emotion, death etc - much better than the US series full of models and glamour - in contrast this is earthy and realistic.

The story lines are similar to The Sixth Sense and are clearly derived from that concept, but each one is expertly handled. One of the best of the series involves a hoax supernatural experience - just wait for the ending! Top notch, hair-raising stuff.

A series of un-realised potential

Author: willthind
9 November 2005

Afterlife is a series of un-realised potential. I watched two episodes and both adhered to the same odd mix: excellent set-up, surprisingly complex characterisation, but absolutely no time whatsoever to develop plot. Watching both episodes made me think that they must have been edited down from something much longer and more worthwhile.

What makes Afterlife worth grabbing, whatever its faults, is a remarkable performance from Lesley Sharp. The writer has given her a fantastic role - a medium who teeters on the edge of mental health - and Sharp fills the part with quite extraordinary humanity. It's a shame that Andrew Lincoln turns in such an unconvincing performance as a psychology lecturer. He seems to struggle to convince that he would even get into university, let alone be able to teach.

Brilliant show

Author: Stockard
2 October 2005

How great is this show! I think ITV are on to a winner with this one, i seriously hope they treat it properly and not like so many of their other dramas which they push around the schedules or axe completely, if they feel it isn't doing well enough ratings wise.

We are on episode 2 in the UK now, i know Australia has seen all the episodes - lucky! I really can't wait to see them all, and i hope we can all look forward to another series because it would be such a shame to stop after just one, and to let such talented actors as Lesley and Andrew go! There seems to be quite a few fans of Alison and Robert's relationship - glad to know i'm not the only one! x

"Must see" is not strong enough a phrase

Author: missericacourt
13 November 2009

Despite writing this a few years after the show's release, I feel compelled to write a review after re-watching some clips.

The premise is simple. A medium, a sceptic, and a lot of paranormal activity. What sets this apart from other, similarly plotted shows and films is the incredible atmosphere and suspense built throughout each episode, and the fantastic performance of Lesley Sharp, whose depiction of depressed medium Alison is utterly compelling, powerful and, most impressive, very believable.

Never before had I seen such a moving, emotional, tense and creepy TV show, and never have I been more disappointed that a show has been stopped. That being said, the two series were beautifully wrapped up, with a neat story arc and a final episode that was quite simply perfect. After watching it, I sat there in shock for a good while, barely believing how beautifully written and presented it was.

I won't reveal the ending, but let's just say you may need a box of tissues on hand - I was sobbing! And for a few episodes, maybe a cushion to hide behind!

One of the great supernatural series

Author: galensaysyes
26 October 2008

This is one of the great supernatural TV series--which may not be such a distinction, with so few to choose from. But this program is good enough to hold its own against any number of comers. I don't know how it went over in England, and I don't know that it's ever played in the U.S., but it should be better known than it is.

It's about a woman who can communicate with the dead: Ghost Whisperer, in other words. But this one is done in the more disturbing vein of British suspense, intercrossed with the more sober vein of British proletarian drama. In the latter line, the show makes a real effort to imagine what a person who was always hearing from dead people would be like in real life: i.e. screwed up; but not screwed up all the time; and the less so the more integrated her personality became. To the people who can't see what she can, she sounds crazy; when, driven by what she's seen, she tells them what not to do, she's so desperate she looks crazy. When we first see her, we think the same of her; then we get to know her better and see she isn't.

The UK have a way of coming up with shows that require unusual personalities, and then finding unusual actors who have them. Lesley Sharp is a perfect choice for this role: she can look both nutty and wise, ragged and hierophantic, at the same time.

I imagine some people would prefer Ghost Whisperer to this because it isn't a horror show. For myself, I prefer my ghost stories scary.

My only quibble is with Andrew Lincoln, the male lead. I wish he weren't quite so like a matinée idol. I can see that the show, lacking a conventional romantic relationship, wanted to provide something of a substitute, and chose an actor who could make his relationship with the leading character seem romantic-and-yet-not. He succeeds in that, and is sympathetic in the role (yet at the same time almost unsympathetic, as he should be), but he seems just a bit shallow.

When the British do them right, their thrillers have a way of involving the audience that no others can match. I'm not sure why. I have a feeling it may spring from the peculiarly British form of neurosis, which, I have no doubt, springs in turn from their highly mannered society. Tne enforcement of mannerly behavior can't help but lead to neurosis in some cases, I would think (I'm sure it would in mine). You can't say what you feel, so you mutter; you can't move freely, so you twitch. That's probably why the British are best at ghost stories, too: ghosts are the ultimate products of neurosis, both in themselves and to those who see them, the genteelly screwed-up. Afterlife is on to that, I think.