IMDb > The Invisible (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Beautiful and Brilliant.

Author: fenwayconnor from United States
28 April 2007

I walked into this movie expecting something completely different than what I got. While most people are using this as an excuse to hate this movie, It made me like it even more. The acting was excellent. Justin Chatwin and Margarita Levieva are incredibly believable and both seem to really enjoy the material. I can understand why some people would be mad. Most people were expecting the teenage horror flick. I am so glad it wasn't. There was so much depth and beauty to it. In my opinion if you didn't' like it either you didn't understand it or you are a horror obsessed teen. The soundtrack also was amazing. I loved everything about this movie. The promotion(meaning Trailers) could have been done a lot more differently and better. Still i strongly encourage this movie to those of you who love deep, thought provoking, beautiful, and emotional movies!

Really Great

Author: Juicygirl789 from United States
3 May 2007

Despite all the bad reviews on here, I went to see "The Invisible" and I was not disappointed. I really loved the underlying drama and self discovery the movie relayed throughout the story. It made you feel for both the victim and the villain and feel their pain and sacrifices. It went past the usual story line of romance and macho heros, but looked deeper. And above that, my friends and I loved the main character :) He is very good looking. Apparently the other reviewers don't have the ability to see past explosions and fake fights in films to see the depth portrayed in this movie. Definitely give this one a try. It made my day and made me think very hard about life. Not to sound too cheesy...

nice

Author: reenis from Sweden
25 December 2006

This is a remake of the Swedish movie 'Den Onsynlige' and there is no doubt that its worth your time. One of the best movies I have ever witnessed. There is little to no fear elements in the movie, but it's such a beautiful story about a ghost that it can't be ignored.

If you think you can figure this movie out by the synopsis above, think again- 'The Invisible' is a epic story about life, death and the choices you make during your time on this Earth. For such a bright film, it's quite Gothic in a sense of the irony the story evokes. In the end, what really matters is making your life worth something and taking control of it on your own- the lesson is a great one, and hopefully this movie will entertain along with inspire. Check it out if you can.

All around mediocre

Author: rlange-3 from United States
28 February 2008

The underlying plot is perhaps do-able if it were presented with good acting, and believable screenplay, but this one nose dives from the start and flies lazy boring circles all the way to the pathetic impact with the ground at the end. The characters are neither believable, nor well acted. There are a few designated villains, whose only role is to be villains. An uncaring mother who actually cares. Whoa, exciting stuff eh? A bad girl who is really OK, it's just that she has a tough family life. Even for bored suburban kids this is just pathetic. It's not just plot holes, but the characters themselves who are unbelievable.

One of the main characters is a boy who only seems to know how to cringe and whimper. He's supposed to be the protagonists best friend, but what really pulls or holds them together? Nothing that meets the eye in the film. He gets a little cut on his hand and falls apart. The protagonist pays his bills for him like a wimp. His Mom finds out he is flying to London and he immediately abandons his carefully laid plans without a squeak. He even throws/gives his ticket away. What a maroon.

What really cooked it for me is when he is standing there while Annie takes a shower. He isn't even looking at her. OK, fine, no problem with the idea that the audience doesn't get to see anything, but what 18 year old straight (the film seems to indicate this) male is going to stand next to a good looking young woman and not even sneak a glance. Unrealistic? Floridly unrealistic. He doesn't even appear interested.

Or how about when Annie pulls a gun on the cops and manages an impossible escape, then breaks into the school with the flick of a knife (no alarms?), and sleeps on a mat in the gymnasium. In fact, she seems to have the run of the whole set with impunity. And speaking of running and getting around with ease, how do you do that after a major gunshot wound to the abdomen? We get a sappy sound track, a sappy background story about the girl and her little brother, and a long, drawn out, uninspiring, uninteresting plot with unbelievable characters and plot holes galore. What's not to like about that? I gave it a 3.

An awesome movie

Author: pratikgreat
24 August 2009

The invisible is one of those movies that you walk into expecting something totally different, and the movie doesn't fail. Loosely following the theme of The Sixth Sense, the Invisible is less darker and delves into deep character study of the protagonist and the antagonist all the while providing enough twists to the plot that one hangs onto his seat anticipating the next twist. Those who couldn't appreciate this beautiful movie are either too realistic or action/horror obsessed. Justin Chatwin as Nick Powell is just awesome, portraying the frustration and desperation with finesse, extracting sympathy for the 'perfect' teenager. Margarita Levieva as Annie Newton is also fantastic as her character undergoes transformation and redemption through the course of the movie. The Invisible dares to chose a different path from the typical and comes out with flying colors. If you liked Sixth Sense, you are going to love this one.

"I See Dead People … Myself!!"

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
15 April 2007

This Americanized re-telling of the Swedish chiller-hit "Den Osynlige" certainly isn't a bad film, but it sadly is just a tad bit too sentimental and unmemorable. The film describes itself perfectly as "Ghost" meets "The O.C." The plot deals with supernatural themes and sincere human emotions, while the characters (and especially the soundtrack) seem to come straight out of a pretentious high-school TV series. The protagonists are all beautiful and spoilt teenagers, so it's pretty difficult to believe they're dealing with life-altering issues like murder, poetry and spiritual redemption. But nonetheless "The Invisible" remains an occasionally very engaging and fast-paced thriller, admirably translated to the screen by genre-expert David S. Goyer. Nick Powell is a popular high-school student who lives alone with his overly protective mother ever since his father passed away. When the local troubled girl Annie and her gang of youthful thugs wrongfully assume Nick told the cops about Annie's involvement in a jewelry theft, they beat him up badly and leave him for for dead in the woods. Slowly approaching the light at the end of the tunnel, Nick returns as an invisible spirit and painfully witnesses how the police investigation regarding his disappearance evolves extremely slow and frustratingly. His last and only chance is to somehow get into contact with Annie and convince her to correct her mistake with a good deed. David S. Goyer attempts – fairly successfully, I may add – to add as few fancy special effects and false scares as possible and puts the emphasis on the characters and the atmosphere. The characters of Nick and Annie clearly gain maturity throughout the story and by the end of the film, they evolved from annoying teenage brats to ... LESS annoying teenage brats. The handful of sub plots, especially the one focusing on Nick and his mother, are rather redundant and only make the wholesome even more irksome. The performances are pretty good, though. Justin Chatwin ("Taking Lives") and Margarita Levieva are terrific and actually manage to make their implausible characters convincing and at least a bit likable near the end. The obtrusive moral of the story as well as the overly melodramatic twists when reaching the film's finale are a bit difficult to cope with – especially if you're primarily a fan of horror and thrillers – but I bet other types of audiences will have tears when walking out of the theater. "The Invisible" has the same producers as "The Sixth Sense" and definitely also shares ideas and plot-aspects with that occult thriller hit. The little kid in the former saw dead people who didn't really realize they crossed the line to the other side, whereas Nick damn well realizes he's dead but there's nobody who sees him. Decent film, at least worth one viewing.

This is not the film I saw in the trailers

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
23 May 2007

I really shouldn't get this emotionally involved, but I was angry when I saw this film. This is not the film I wanted to see when the trailer broke last October. There it was in big grandiose lettering, "From the producer of Sixth Sense and the co-writer of Batman Returns." How could you not be intrigued with this team? I was lead to believe this was going to be a murder mystery about some guy trying to find out who killed him and how he was running out of time to solve that mystery. In the trailer he encounters some old man in a hospital or something, who explains to our protagonist that if he can solve the mystery of his own death, then he will come back to life. I was excited to see this movie. It was supposed to come out at around Christmas. Then something strange happened. Instead of launching it at the lucrative Christmas season, the inconspicuously and clandestinely delayed the film for four months. Instead they dumped it into theaters one week before Spiderman 3 came out and they edited the hell out of it. No longer did you have a film about a teen trying solve his own murder, you simply had a film about some kid who gets murdered. That's it. Nothing else. From there, while in ghost limbo, he follows around his murderer. Not the two male thugs who helped perpetuate the murder, but the "mysteriously" hot chick who kicks him to death. You see, she has a dark past. She is ignored and possibly abused at home. So naturally she decides the best way to compensate for this is to beat up guys twice her weight and then of course kill them. Because, you know, that's what normal disturbed kids do. They kill people. And this is just the beginning. Because now we have the "good guy" following his own murderer, and get this, once he sees her take off her hat and dance at an "E" club, she becomes illuminated to him. And then he decides that she isn't such a bad girl after all. Of course. This is the girl that KILLED YOU and because she has a nice rack, is nice to her baby brother and has had a few unfortunate bad breaks in life, you fall for her. And then at the end of the movie, it actually wants us to believe that she is the only one that can save him. She must go to his hospital room and sit next to him and then will him back to life. SIGH! The problem with this film is that it suffers from a lack of everything. It doesn't make sense and I think that is the studios fault. Maybe they screened the film for an audience and they didn't like the direction the film was going. So instead of tweaking it, they butchered it. They took the Sixth Sense element out of it and what you have left is a Steven Seagal movie with a ghost. I want to watch the movie I saw in the trailer. Where is that movie? It's out there somewhere. It has to be. They edited it to make is something terrible. How terrible.

Here are some other terrible plot points. After the guy is murdered, his best friend, who is also at the scene, doesn't go to the cops. He is too afraid of this 5'2, 98 pound girl. He just lets his best friend rot at the bottom of a sewer or something. I mean, where is the logic in this film. AT one point, it looked like they were going to introduce a twit where his best friend might have been involved. But even that went nowhere. There are literally a half dozen more plot points that were just silly beyond belief. I really struggle to understand how shoddy writing like this is allowed in Hollywood.

This film could have been so much more. The idea and concept and original trailer were very well done. The film is not.

Not another pointless ghost movie.

Author: Jacques98 from United States
9 September 2008

I love this movie because it isn't the same old ghost story you've come to memorize by now. Unlike the cliché disguised as a ghost flick such as The Orphanage, which critics loved, this movie broke rules. It didn't make sense, but that's what made it good. The characters were memorable, unlike the characters in The Orphanage that are so cliché they now have their own genres: Apathetic Dad, Angry Mama Bear Mom, Innocent Child That Can Do No Wrong. The Invisible doesn't use any of these clichés. It makes its own rules and then breaks its own rules. The ghosts don't revert to the same old jump-at-you-AHHH! tactics that we've all seen countless times. They actually try to be more disturbing than that, by being more realistic and not scary.

I simply don't understand the critics. They trash movies like this that actually try to be different and hail hopeless clichés like The Orphanage. I also don't understand people who do the same.

Yes, this movie could be labeled as emo, but you'll see this movie has a lot to say that you're not going to find in what the critics call "deep" movies with "moral".

It's not perfect by any means. I could sit here and name countless technical flaws with the presentation (like the opening scene), but they're lost to the fact that this movie tried to be different. I'm so stunned that something actually tried to be different anything else bad about the movie fell away.

Disjointed and unsatisfying

Author: fertilecelluloid from Mountains of Madness
15 July 2007

David Goyer's "The Invisible", a remake of a film I have not yet seen, and a rip-off of Hiroshi Teshigahara's "Pitfall", kicks off with an interesting premise that it does not remain faithful to. A young student is murdered by a trio of arrogant classmates with pseudo-cynical attitudes. After they bury him in the woods, he rises from his own damaged body and walks amongst them as an invisible man. We see him, but they don't. This guy can't communicate with them or interact with material objects (at least not initially), but he can hang about and eavesdrop on their screwed-up lives. Obviously, he learns why he was killed , and he eventually gets to see some justice. The problem with this premise is that our hero does not drive the story. He witnesses it. Because he can't be heard or seen, he's an observer who comments on what's happening. His commentary is not without interest, but after the forty-five minute mark, the premise collapses. Goyer must have thought so, too, because he starts breaking the rules he's established. Some characters become aware of our hero's existence, and some characters start to hear him. As the authorities get closer to solving his "murder", there's a murky understanding that this is why our hero is becoming more visible. In the end, it doesn't work. The film's first half hour is hypnotic, and I felt sure that I was in for a treat, but the set-up bites off more than its third act can chew, and the result is a very disjointed, unsatisfying experience.

horrible emo crap

Author: JABBAKAHUT from United States
5 January 2008

I don't know that I can find a redeeming thing in this movie. I'm shocked that the guy who gave rebirth to Batman is associated with this crap. It doesn't answer any question it poses and the dialog is only slightly better than something written by George Lucas. The characters don't act the way we expect them to (not in the good twist sort of way, just the horribly inconsistent sort of way). Motivations are vague at best. The big shocker is that the evil girl is a beauty in disguise. It feels like a movie in which the ugly nerd gets a makeover. Like we need to see her shower? Anything that could have been interesting like the exploration of what this limbo state in which he exists in is all about? Including useless characters such as the little brother, the old dieing dude, even the supposed best friend are weak superfluous dry icons. There is nothing thrilling about this movie, nothing is original. Seriously, there isn't a scene that makes sense. Lets take the body which nobody can find and leave it out in the open in hopes that it will just be washed down a river and found later? The cops are portrayed as incompetent at best. Character motivations which are hinted at but never elaborated; such as the stupid drug dealing hottie's father who was a cop and "it's a long story" which isn't explained somehow probably has something to do with the death of her mother? It's possible they just edited this thing to death removing all the exposition which would have helped make sense of this convoluted story. This isn't a failed ambitious attempt, it's a lazy half-ass attempt to be profound. I imagine anybody from the EMO generation loves this movie. By the end every scene is laughable, multiple people are going into this half dead world and communicating with people on life support. I'm glad I downloaded this, I'm sick of paying for crap movies, when will Hollywood get it?

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]