IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 13: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Finally... Horror the way it's supposed to be

Author: terrible2 from Istanbul
26 November 2007

Finally... Someone gets it. Finally... Someone understands that horror movie fans DO NOT like CGI effects, in fact we hate them. This is old school horror at it's finest. Film-maker Mike Mendez is the first in a long time, who truly seems to have tapped into the horror community pulse. "The Gravedancers" is a stunning piece of horror, with a stellar cast, directing, cinematography and screen writing. The story evolves around a group of friends reunited at a funeral. After a drunken post-funeral celebration, they find themselves dancing on the graves of society's unwanted. Unknown to them at first, they unearth an evil that rattles the foundation of their lives. Brilliantly edited, the story moves along at a fast pace. Mendez presents the horror with an "In your face" attitude, and doesn't let up until the closing credits. Highly recommended for those who crave pure, undiluted horror... I eagerly look forward to future endeavors by Mendez.

Not the best B-movie horror film out there but not all that bad either.

Author: badgrrlkane from Irving, TX
19 September 2007

First off so far out of the 3 films i've seen under this Films To Die For Horror series Penny Dreadful,Dark Ride, & now this one The Gravedancers,this is so far the best. 3 friends reunited for the funeral of an old friend decide to go walking though the cemetery at night & find a letter of poems that sound like a celebration of life but is instead a curse. And by dancing on the graves of 3 dead folks who didn't lead very good lives a demon/spirit posses these 3 dead souls into exacting revenge on the living. They are played well by Dominic Purcell,Josie Maran & Marcus Vance.The ghosts they make crazy are: one is a judge who raped his jailed victims & use S/M instruments to torture the girls to death. The 2nd ghost is a school teacher who found her husband cheating on her & kills the mistress & her husband w/h an ax. And the 3rd is a child who was a firebug,who burned himself & his family to death on purpose. Sothatis how the 3 so called "Gravedancers" are then attacked in similar fashion until they are dead.The ghosts once they take on human form are grotesque &very creepy.Especially the S/M judge. Good gore scenes but nothing that I'd say was too extreme to be not shown in American theaters as advertised. But it does have a well-written story,though it is predictable in spots & I never understood why the wife of Dominic Purcell's character played by former Buffy the Vampire Slayer actress,Clare "Glory" Kramer. was why she didn't say "Forget this.You danced on the grave not me! I mean you'd have to really love your husband to want to stand by him why 3 ghosts are gonna kill you.Could've been written better,but considering the B-movie director Mike Mendez did this, this a 1000 times better than the too over the top camp horror/comedy The Convent" that he directed in 2000.The only cool thing in that film was Adrienne Barbeau. Soif you like creepy ghost stories or good B-movie horror, heavy on the B, with 1 sorta big name actor then you'll like this. Though I don't think you'll die for this film, as advertised.*** out of *****

This Is Why You Should Never Dance On Someone's Grave...

Author: Reaper-of-Souls from United States
16 August 2007

As one of the eight "After Dark HorrorFest Films To Die For," this one was one of my favorites. It had some really creepy moments in it and it kept me waiting to see what was gonna happen next. The plot was a bit far-fetched, a group of friends going to the grave site of a dead friend to say goodbye in their own little way(sitting by his grave getting drunk). And for some unknown reason, they have a boom box playing and begin to dance around the graveyard like they're in a nightclub.

Fast forward a week or so I think, and bad things begin to happen to each of the 3 friends who were in the graveyard. They begin being haunted by the spirits of the dead people's graves they danced on. Bring in a couple of paranormal "ghost hunters" and things seem to be looking up as they believe they can rid the spirits by digging up their corpses and reburying them elsewhere. Well, the unearthing of the corpses is done and they are buried again. Things seem better now and the movie appears to be nearing the end, BUT...someone is keeping a little secret. I won't spoil that for you.

This is definitely one of the better of the After Dark Horrorfest films and well worth watching. I've already watched it 6 times since it's release. The Gravedancers is well worth watching and I gave it a hefty 8 out of 10 review. If you enjoyed any of the other After Dark films, then this one is probably better than the ones you've seen and one of the best out of the 8. Check it out.

Buy this movie

Author: eagilmore15 from United States
29 May 2007

Great movie. Not your typical horror flick. The beginning didn't make a whole lot of sense. It showed a girl being hanged from a banister. It didn't seem to connect to the movie much. The only connection to the rest of the movie was a black card that she dropped. It's the same card that Sid, Harris, and Kira find while they're drinking in the graveyard. The woman showing up in the bedroom freaked me out. When we find out the "Velma" is the reason the souls weren't put to rest, it makes you wanna just slap the &@$% out of her. There is a lesson to be learned here, though: Don't dance on graves. If you like horror movies, and you must, or else you wouldn't be reading this right now, then buy or rent "The Gravedancers". You won't regret it.

Ummm... Not really

Author: trashley38 from United States
13 September 2007

It had a great plot... but the props and production were so poor that it ended up being a cheesy horror flick... I laughed through it! Oh yeah, it's not that I necessarily blame AfterDark Films for it... they're new and don't have a whole lot of money to make great production. If it had been produced a little better, it would have been one of the best I had seen in a while... If you can get past it... great... if not... oh well!

I definitely would rent it all over again knowing what I know now because it did gave some great jumpy moments where I was screaming, and some just overall creep-you-out factors. For the most part, the movie did have a great story line and plot. I really enjoyed the whole poem/curse idea, but it would have been a lot better to get some background information. I think it would have been better to see more of the scary scenes, for instance, one of the main characters is found beaten up; it would have been a lot better to see her scared out of her mind, running through the house.

Also it mainly focuses on the married couple, and not the other two people involved, so you really do not see a lot of background information with them, so it feels a little rushed in that sense as well.

Plus, the whole affair issue was not played off very well at all. It would have been more effective if the wife at least slapped the other woman or yelled or something. However, talking calmly just did not cut it for me at all. So I'm not sure exactly what they were trying to accomplish with that scene either.

The ghosts in the film were incredibly unbelievable; they were bug-eyed, and a little more than skeletons.

grave dancers

Author: heather from United States
19 November 2006

i liked this movie a lot,it reminded me of an older try and scare type horror movie,the ghosts were quiet creepy but silly at the same time,the story kind of odd but still,it was the 3rd movie that i had had the pleasure to pre screen at my theater before the rest,the cg at the end was kinda just a horrible way to end such a good movie,it gave me a laugh almost...but the story itself kept me thinking.3 friends dance on criminal graves singing a song and drinking,ghosts follow each of them home and then weird things start to happen.. i wont give it all away but i would most certainly say to catch the movie or if it comes to DVD,rent it.id like to buy it my self if i could .

Favorite

Author: mia-benetton from United States
19 November 2006

This is my favorite movie of all time. Horror, action, drama. It has it all and look at the producer and the director and the cast. What made this awesome? well, just about every thing; excellent FX, great acting, good story, and even some scary moments. If you are a horror buff and you have not seen this gem yet, get it. I loved it. Made my top 100 best movies list.

Graves have always had a fascination on humans, ultimately graves are made for humans. the dead don't care. But humans need this remembering of who else was here before, kinda thing. They have a hard time letting go, so they build tombs. Dancing on a tombs really just shows the readiness for moving on as a society and not having to deal with old traditions, since they only serve the old times but never the new.

Not bad

Author: TdSmth5 from US
19 November 2006

Here's a ghost movie that's not ashamed in the least of being one, as becomes clear in the final outrageous ghost scene. Now this review isn't going to be objective because I'm crazy about Josie Maran, who finally gets a decent role and screen time. Josie looks great in this movie as does another brunette. As the title suggests, the main characters do some gravedancing while intoning some spell and end up being chased by ghosts. Not just any ghosts but those of some people who weren't exactly model citizens in life. Each ghost has a signature style of terrorizing his victim. Of course when you have ghosts in a movie there's got to be some ghost experts whose intentions are always questionable. It's the job of the experts to discover the past of the ghosts and how to stop them before they kill our main characters. The effects are pretty good, the ghosts are quite violent and there's some good action with a ghost being rather brutal to poor Josie's character. This movie is creepy and atmospheric, but since the ghosts have a target victim there aren't many death scenes nor gore. I wish the coloring had been different, it has that lifeless gray color. This is an effective ghost movie.

It's All About the Third Act

Author: jdeshano-1 from United States
29 April 2006

I saw this movie at its premier on Thursday night on 34th street AMC at the Tribeca Film Festival. Below will have analysis of the film and initial thoughts with a few critiques.

The movie pushes into a scene of death. Something very reminiscent of "Scream" and more importantly "Suspiria". I couldn't help, but wonder if Dario Argento was some influence on the film and filmmaker. Unfortunately, the beautiful style of Argento is laid by the wayside after the opening scene and forgotten as the movie progresses. The acting itself is sub-par. A few performances are better than others, but most scenes seem uncomfortably juxtaposed together. The editing is WAY too lose. Most shots need to be tightened extensively. The sound mix is WAY too hot. The classic "Halloween" trick of loud music stings to make an audience member jump is over used (this is putting it mildly. It was used so often as a device, it's almost to the point of abuse).

There is one moment in the movie the device is used effectively. It actually made me leap from my seat. But in all, poorly timed and poorly executed.

Once the third act begins, the movie picks up considerably. A unique blend of antagonists keeps the viewer interested and the imagery kicks into high gear. There's a great sweeping pan shot of a room transformation that is reminiscent of "Nightmare on Elms Street". Beautifully executed and wonderfully portrayed, even the actors seem more on. I don't know what the difference was, but this third act is more comparable to the opening scene. This act saves the movie from being a boring B to a remarkable B, most definitely worthy of distribution.

The lighting is great in the film throughout and color grade is well done. Special Effects and Make-up? Bravo! It's obvious that the budget was tight with this film, but great work. There's a surprising mix of stunts and pyrotechnics, that are handled masterfully. Apparently, according to the producers, the set burned down and two crew members caught fire. But in the film it looks great! All in all it has a slow momentum, but really finds its unique blend in the third act. This will definitely find a dedicated audience. The climax is a fun romp that concludes with a scene reminiscent of the final boss from the "Splatterhouse" video game. Horror enthusiasts will definitely want to check this one out.

Thrilling

Author: sabina-tucker from United States
19 November 2006

There are two types of "horror" films: There are the scary ones, which is what the word "horror" means in the first place, and then there is the bloody, gory kind. Perhaps the latter kind should be categorized under another name. At any rate, Grave Dancers is a good horror film. It goes beyond the idea of typical ghosts in sheets jumping out of nowhere and saying "boo!".Most of the adventure takes place in their world rather than ours, although we cannot see what is going on there. This is a very thrilling movie. It has great special effects and all of the scare elements that make a horror film what it is supposed to be. This is the only movie I want to see 100 times at the theater, partly to watch others' reactions. I have heard though that the film is the victim of some type of curse. No idea whether this is true or not but it is a rumor going round. I guess anything is possible. All in all, this is one of the best indie films ever for the indie horror genre.

Page 8 of 13: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]