IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Where's the respect?

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
3 August 2009

Well I was expecting worse, but that doesn't stop this entry (out of the 'Eight Films to Die For' collection) from just being an accommodatingly so-so effort in the paranormal field. Going against it was that the story was so telegraphed and formulaic, which led to many dull passages and hot air build ups. The idea is fine (which has some drunken young adults who were college buds disturbing the peace of the dead when reading out some card they find at their deceased friend's grave, while dancing on their graves. Now they're haunted by those spirits, and race against time with the help of a parapsychologist to end the curse before they take their lives), but the situation's progression is thinly stale and the execution is all flash, but colorlessly achieved. It's subtle build up kind of works when they encounter their unusual ghostly shenanigans, though it grows a bit tired… however the last half hour doesn't work with its hysterical charge and overblown special effects. I thought the FX was well used during stages when it was focusing on the spirits, where the images of their sunken faces and flowing movements were effectively creepy. The performances by Dominic Purcell, Clare Kramer, Marcus Thomas, Josie Maran, Tchéky Karyo and Megahn Perry stand-up, if a little black and white. Director Mike Mendez overdone style etches its way in and takes away from the suspense, where he demonstrates a drearily cold atmosphere and lasting visuals caught by expansive photography. A ho-hum low-budget supernatural thriller.

Some scary highlights in a basically silly story...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
5 April 2009

The scare factor is pretty good in THE GRAVEDANCERS. It's a shame the script which relies heavily on special effects for most of the scares, isn't more intelligent. Toward the last fifteen minutes the scares are so over-the-top that they become laughable. It doesn't help that the principal male performance by Dominic Purcell ranges from bland to bad.

The plot has three young people who disrespected a grave site getting visits from evil spirits. Seems the site was the burial ground for a bunch of undesirables--an ax murderer, a pyromaniac and a rapist.

When they seek help from a parapsychologist and his assistant, the fun begins in earnest. A graveyard scene where a few of the bodies are uncovered is gruesome and frightening. But after that, the scenes with the evil spirits are way too grotesque for comfort and the plot becomes an extended ghoul fest full of blood thirsty creatures.

Basic idea for the story is a good one. Executing this idea doesn't quite work beyond a surface level of shock moments that become increasingly unbelievable before the story is over.

For Rainy Days and Boring weekends

Author: vikasthegunner from India
28 February 2009

This movie's no Psycho or The Exorcist. It is slightly cheesy at times.You can consider watching this when you feel like a flick that doesn't tax too much on your wallet or give your mind a lot of work. The guys who made the movie have done a good job with the creepy atmospheric detail and the sombre music. The acting is good, Josie Maran is decent eye candy. The other actors have also done a fairly good job . The visual effect work is not the greatest but Its still the best of its batch. Anyway, the movie does have it scary moments. And as many other guys out there have said, its awesome for a low budget production. BTW This is my first review......

Unrest for the weary. No peace for the wicked.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
23 August 2007

Mike Mendez directs this bone chiller. Outstanding horror flick with old fashioned terror. Acting varies from strong to miserable; but good story and even better effects. After the funeral for a close friend, a group of class mates get together for drinks. These three friends end up at the cemetery; and after more all night drinking the drunken friends end up dancing on graves and really upsetting the dirt nap of three wicked spirits. These friends regain sobriety, but now are haunted by three hell raising ghosts seeking revenge. Kira(Josie Maran)already has a head start on freaking out. Sid(Marcus Thomas)is positive his life is in danger; while Harris(Dominic Purcell)wants more hard evidence that the group's days are numbered. Some stark disturbing images with strong violence makes THE GRAVEDANCERS a film you don't want to miss. For real horror fans the unrest will be enjoyable. Others in the cast: Claire Kramer, Tcheky Karyo and Megahn Perry.

Author: xPr3DaToRx from United Kingdom
25 July 2007

Im not sure what to think having sat through this.

It starts quite seriously and could have been a top notch modern horror and it has moments very reminiscent of house on haunted hill, but somewhere along the line the acting and plot line goes evil dead. Im not sure this is a bad thing as big fan of 80's horror and the film could have been great if it had the focus to pull of a suitable tribute, however it ends up being two films with acting taking a serious dive along with all seriousness at the end.

Some of the puppets are truly freaky and in a horror move where you see 'the monster' this is all important but once again by the end were getting cameos from the garbage pail kids.

On the bright side, if your watching all the After Dark Horror Fest films of which this is one, instead of sleeping with the light on you'll at least save on the electricity bill.

Watchable but could have been better.

Really Not So Bad

Author: Rathko from Los Angeles
6 January 2011

The opening features such bad titles and crappy camera work I almost turned 'Gravedancers' off before it even started, but it turned out not to be so bad after all. As direct-to-DVD horror goes, this occupies the high end and for all its plagiarism and clichés, it's entertaining enough. The budget limitations lend the whole thing a vaguely old-fashioned quality, not least when the ghosts are finally revealed, reminding us that static latex can actually be far more creepy than CGI. There's nothing particularly original or inspired here, and the actors, save for Tchéky Karyo and Megahn Perry, deliver nothing more than functional performances, but for all its faults I was inexplicably entertained.

Bad Script... Bad Direction ... Bad Editing

Author: boyd1955 from London
9 June 2010

The cast tries its best ... But nothing can save this amusing idea from being wrecked by the usual failures of modern horror films ... The directors are clueless ... The editors haven't got a clue ... And I can't actually believe that a script writer was involved at all Why is it that nearly all these horror films in the last 5 years or so suffer from all the same problems ... There is only one answer ... The new generation of film makers are cretins : ) There's no getting away from it ... Nearly all young film makers are clueless beyond belief ... They've obviously grown up on television and the idea of putting any depth or complexity of character or storyline is beyond them ... A sad sad state of affairs

The Dead Don't Like Dancing and Bad Poetry

Author: ThornIs from Canada
12 October 2009

I admit I haven't seen too many of the "8 Movies to Die For" and overall, from the three I've seen, I have not been that impressed. On one hand I kind of like the idea of rehashing some old school horror for the general public, but on the other I felt there's been something missing.

I really tried liking Gravedancers, mainly cause I love ghost stories and this film actually has some pretty good stuff in it.

After a friend's funeral our main characters find a card on the tomb containing a bad poem. Apparently they're just partying next to the grave late at night, or something. I didn't find they seemed that distressed over his loss. Many he was jerk or something? Who knows.. so they do a dance on a few graves, read the poem (which sounds like a spell from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and end up waking a few spirits, who were all mental patients before they died, of course. You know standard stuff.

There is a lot of effects, and many of them are well done, considering the budget. They are well executed, well placed and even the CG isn't too bad (from me that's saying something). The ghosts look spooky and there's some good atmosphere. It's a very formulaic film, contrary to other reviews I've read. I was able to predict pretty much every death, every jump scare and even the who will be standing at the end of the movie. But that in itself is not a bad thing. Many horror films are formulaic and still good. Sometimes it's that familiarity that gives some horror movies that level of comfort you need to find them entertaining.

Like I said I tried to like this film. I just hated the characters, and if you don't like the characters in a ghost story your attention begins to wane. It's not like the acting is bad either. Lets put it this way, "there is even a love triangle in the plot". Like come on. Maybe I'm too insensitive about these things, but I just didn't care. I must admit I didn't mind the heroine till she started to act like every other heroine in a modern western horror movie, and the hero just was there. The film could have killed him off on the first scene I would have not even have noticed.

I had other minor complaints, but most of them stems from the characters. If you can't stand the character, or don't care about them, then you start looking for things to hate. It's also not creepy, which for me, a good ghost story should be.

It is exiting, and it never really dragged. There is something to like here. It's one of those, "I didn't like it, but you might" movies. I give it 2 bad poems out of 5.

Who writes this tripe?

Author: bytemovies from Canada
4 August 2009

Okay, lets start with the good:

The acting is passable. In fact, I laud the actors here for decently portraying such stupid, cut and paste characters. For the most part, the main three characters do a good job with their respective roles, with the "other two" being much more terrible.

The cinematography. The work done on the visual aspect of the movie as well as the effects are laudable. While mainly somewhat cheesy and very obviously low budget, many times they do a very good job in covering up that fact. In fact, many scenes were enviable of much better budget movies, and I appreciated that

The audio, while decent, was far from great. It was there enough to not be dismissible, but it felt very lacking. It had little to no impact except for maybe one or two scenes.

Now for the bad:

My biggest problem had to be the story. Forget the plot holes galore, forget the ridiculous premise, forget the terrible, terrible characters and their unremarkable lines. No, the biggest part was the entire movie. For an entire hour and a half, you are visually and verbally assaulted with the most ridiculous, phoned-in plot you have ever experienced. Yeah, there's some half baked subplot with the friends, but the overall main story is absolutely bad to the bone. This movie may just make you cry after all.

The audio. Incredibly bad and clichéd at times. Such a mixed bag.

Watch it if you just want some decent, mindless scares, but beware, the truly terrifying part of this movie is the story.

Scary movie?

Author: Robert de Brose from Sao Paulo
14 February 2008

Well the movie begins as a promising, serious scary experience, but as the plot unfolds it unravels into sheer comedy and makes fun of itself, which was kind of amusing to me, but may be not so for other people, specially if one is looking for a scared-the-s**t-out-of-me movie and this is why I rated it 5/10. The impression one gets by watching this movie is that either the director did not know where he was heading while the scenes were being shot or that the editors really tried hard to assemble their own version of the story, considering the discrepancy of how the movie begins and the way it ends, since it goes from aural depiction of the ominous into Ghostbusters-like cgi effects.