IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Grave Dancing

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
22 October 2011

I like horror movies with a preference toward haunted house movie and old school horror, and I like this movie... up to a point. The premise: three friends get drunk after a funeral and dance at the cemetery on graves in the area for the deranged. Afterwards, they become haunted by the psychos over whose bodies they danced. Why? Because a mysterious person left behind a chant which they... just happened to announce out loud. The premise is good, but the why is contrived. The story is scary, the ghosts are casual and the chain of events is preposterous as is the ghost hunters who risk their safety to help them. It is very hard for me to believe that the parapsychologist in the movie would go to such extreme ways and such a leap of faith to dig up some graves and follow a ridiculous mystical ritual instead of just tracking down the person who left the note that starts everything off. What? Did he get his degree out of a box of Crackerjacks? Besides that, several of the ghost sequences are scary, but the climax is a bit anticlimactic. Paranormal accuracy is out the window for sake of story, but the movie is a "worth-see" if you want good to uneven scares.

Unintentionally silly than actually scary

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 October 2011

This isn't a awful scary movie but it's still pretty darn bad. The whole movie just didn't flow very well and just comes off random a lot of times with it's events. The pop up scares are just bunch of cheap shots in this and the only scary thing is the design of the ghost. The ghost actually look pretty scary but that is far as that goes. It seems they didn't know what direction to go with this and it just seemed all over the place. The horror elements isn't anything new and sometimes comes off funny than actually scary and they didn't intentionally try to go in a humorous direction. The whole premise is just plain stupid and silly than actually scare you can't help but roll your eyes. It seemed like they were just making it up as they went and didn't think things through in creating one story that would work. The whole movie just comes off as one big mess than a legit horror flick. There is just a lot to this movie that just doesn't make any sense. Not many but there were few scenes that was entertaining somewhat since it's over the top silly. Especially near the end with the ghost battle. Overall this is more of a ridiculous and humorous flick than scary, it isn't a super awful horror movie but it's pretty close. I give it a 3.9 because the silly parts were at least somewhat entertaining.

3.9/10

Where's the respect?

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
3 August 2009

Well I was expecting worse, but that doesn't stop this entry (out of the 'Eight Films to Die For' collection) from just being an accommodatingly so-so effort in the paranormal field. Going against it was that the story was so telegraphed and formulaic, which led to many dull passages and hot air build ups. The idea is fine (which has some drunken young adults who were college buds disturbing the peace of the dead when reading out some card they find at their deceased friend's grave, while dancing on their graves. Now they're haunted by those spirits, and race against time with the help of a parapsychologist to end the curse before they take their lives), but the situation's progression is thinly stale and the execution is all flash, but colorlessly achieved. It's subtle build up kind of works when they encounter their unusual ghostly shenanigans, though it grows a bit tired… however the last half hour doesn't work with its hysterical charge and overblown special effects. I thought the FX was well used during stages when it was focusing on the spirits, where the images of their sunken faces and flowing movements were effectively creepy. The performances by Dominic Purcell, Clare Kramer, Marcus Thomas, Josie Maran, Tchéky Karyo and Megahn Perry stand-up, if a little black and white. Director Mike Mendez overdone style etches its way in and takes away from the suspense, where he demonstrates a drearily cold atmosphere and lasting visuals caught by expansive photography. A ho-hum low-budget supernatural thriller.

Some scary highlights in a basically silly story...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
5 April 2009

The scare factor is pretty good in THE GRAVEDANCERS. It's a shame the script which relies heavily on special effects for most of the scares, isn't more intelligent. Toward the last fifteen minutes the scares are so over-the-top that they become laughable. It doesn't help that the principal male performance by Dominic Purcell ranges from bland to bad.

The plot has three young people who disrespected a grave site getting visits from evil spirits. Seems the site was the burial ground for a bunch of undesirables--an ax murderer, a pyromaniac and a rapist.

When they seek help from a parapsychologist and his assistant, the fun begins in earnest. A graveyard scene where a few of the bodies are uncovered is gruesome and frightening. But after that, the scenes with the evil spirits are way too grotesque for comfort and the plot becomes an extended ghoul fest full of blood thirsty creatures.

Basic idea for the story is a good one. Executing this idea doesn't quite work beyond a surface level of shock moments that become increasingly unbelievable before the story is over.

For Rainy Days and Boring weekends

Author: vikasthegunner from India
28 February 2009

This movie's no Psycho or The Exorcist. It is slightly cheesy at times.You can consider watching this when you feel like a flick that doesn't tax too much on your wallet or give your mind a lot of work. The guys who made the movie have done a good job with the creepy atmospheric detail and the sombre music. The acting is good, Josie Maran is decent eye candy. The other actors have also done a fairly good job . The visual effect work is not the greatest but Its still the best of its batch. Anyway, the movie does have it scary moments. And as many other guys out there have said, its awesome for a low budget production. BTW This is my first review......

Cheers!!

Unrest for the weary. No peace for the wicked.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
23 August 2007

Mike Mendez directs this bone chiller. Outstanding horror flick with old fashioned terror. Acting varies from strong to miserable; but good story and even better effects. After the funeral for a close friend, a group of class mates get together for drinks. These three friends end up at the cemetery; and after more all night drinking the drunken friends end up dancing on graves and really upsetting the dirt nap of three wicked spirits. These friends regain sobriety, but now are haunted by three hell raising ghosts seeking revenge. Kira(Josie Maran)already has a head start on freaking out. Sid(Marcus Thomas)is positive his life is in danger; while Harris(Dominic Purcell)wants more hard evidence that the group's days are numbered. Some stark disturbing images with strong violence makes THE GRAVEDANCERS a film you don't want to miss. For real horror fans the unrest will be enjoyable. Others in the cast: Claire Kramer, Tcheky Karyo and Megahn Perry.

Confused

Author: xPr3DaToRx from United Kingdom
25 July 2007

Im not sure what to think having sat through this.

It starts quite seriously and could have been a top notch modern horror and it has moments very reminiscent of house on haunted hill, but somewhere along the line the acting and plot line goes evil dead. Im not sure this is a bad thing as big fan of 80's horror and the film could have been great if it had the focus to pull of a suitable tribute, however it ends up being two films with acting taking a serious dive along with all seriousness at the end.

Some of the puppets are truly freaky and in a horror move where you see 'the monster' this is all important but once again by the end were getting cameos from the garbage pail kids.

On the bright side, if your watching all the After Dark Horror Fest films of which this is one, instead of sleeping with the light on you'll at least save on the electricity bill.

Watchable but could have been better.

Really Not So Bad

Author: Rathko from Los Angeles
6 January 2011

The opening features such bad titles and crappy camera work I almost turned 'Gravedancers' off before it even started, but it turned out not to be so bad after all. As direct-to-DVD horror goes, this occupies the high end and for all its plagiarism and clichés, it's entertaining enough. The budget limitations lend the whole thing a vaguely old-fashioned quality, not least when the ghosts are finally revealed, reminding us that static latex can actually be far more creepy than CGI. There's nothing particularly original or inspired here, and the actors, save for Tchéky Karyo and Megahn Perry, deliver nothing more than functional performances, but for all its faults I was inexplicably entertained.

Bad Script... Bad Direction ... Bad Editing

Author: boyd1955 from London
9 June 2010

The cast tries its best ... But nothing can save this amusing idea from being wrecked by the usual failures of modern horror films ... The directors are clueless ... The editors haven't got a clue ... And I can't actually believe that a script writer was involved at all Why is it that nearly all these horror films in the last 5 years or so suffer from all the same problems ... There is only one answer ... The new generation of film makers are cretins : ) There's no getting away from it ... Nearly all young film makers are clueless beyond belief ... They've obviously grown up on television and the idea of putting any depth or complexity of character or storyline is beyond them ... A sad sad state of affairs

The Dead Don't Like Dancing and Bad Poetry

Author: ThornIs from Canada
12 October 2009

I admit I haven't seen too many of the "8 Movies to Die For" and overall, from the three I've seen, I have not been that impressed. On one hand I kind of like the idea of rehashing some old school horror for the general public, but on the other I felt there's been something missing.

I really tried liking Gravedancers, mainly cause I love ghost stories and this film actually has some pretty good stuff in it.

After a friend's funeral our main characters find a card on the tomb containing a bad poem. Apparently they're just partying next to the grave late at night, or something. I didn't find they seemed that distressed over his loss. Many he was jerk or something? Who knows.. so they do a dance on a few graves, read the poem (which sounds like a spell from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and end up waking a few spirits, who were all mental patients before they died, of course. You know standard stuff.

There is a lot of effects, and many of them are well done, considering the budget. They are well executed, well placed and even the CG isn't too bad (from me that's saying something). The ghosts look spooky and there's some good atmosphere. It's a very formulaic film, contrary to other reviews I've read. I was able to predict pretty much every death, every jump scare and even the who will be standing at the end of the movie. But that in itself is not a bad thing. Many horror films are formulaic and still good. Sometimes it's that familiarity that gives some horror movies that level of comfort you need to find them entertaining.

Like I said I tried to like this film. I just hated the characters, and if you don't like the characters in a ghost story your attention begins to wane. It's not like the acting is bad either. Lets put it this way, "there is even a love triangle in the plot". Like come on. Maybe I'm too insensitive about these things, but I just didn't care. I must admit I didn't mind the heroine till she started to act like every other heroine in a modern western horror movie, and the hero just was there. The film could have killed him off on the first scene I would have not even have noticed.

I had other minor complaints, but most of them stems from the characters. If you can't stand the character, or don't care about them, then you start looking for things to hate. It's also not creepy, which for me, a good ghost story should be.

It is exiting, and it never really dragged. There is something to like here. It's one of those, "I didn't like it, but you might" movies. I give it 2 bad poems out of 5.