IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Mike Mendez Does It Again

Author: danthewrestlingmanorigin from United States
30 March 2007

I have been eagerly awaiting Mendez's next film, since the The Convent, which was one of my favorite horror films' that year. While Gravdancers is a much more serious, and different film from Convent, I still had a blast.I have one minor complaint, but first I'll start with the good. Number one as several others have mentioned, it's refreshing to see a genre film with actual adult actors, who are reasonably intelligent, although dancing on graves isn't to bright, and not the usual stereotypes. The production values are top notch, and it's just amazing how superior Gravedancers is to virtually every other tired Hollywood supernatural snooze fest to come out over the last several years'. Buffy fans will take delight in Carol Kramer's performance as Purcell's wife. Now my one minor complaint. Dominic Purcell seems like a wooden, and uninteresting actor to me. I didn't mind him so much, as I just was thinking about a hundred other guys who would have been better in the role. I'm probably alone on that, as Prison Break is so popular, but just a minor observation. I highly recommend this movie.

The lesson here, don't read mysterious cards in the graveyard then dance.

Author: Aaron1375
28 March 2007

A rather good offering of horror and the supernatural to behold. Think a better version of the remake of "The Haunting" with a bit of "The Entity" thrown in as well. The movie revolves around a group of three friends who are in mourning for the recent loss of a friend. One of the group wants to go to the cemetery at night to mourn the friend by drinking and talking with his other two college buds. Of course, you know in a movie of this type that is a mistake and is going to lead to the cause of the problem. Well not entirely, the one friend finds a type of card on their friend's grave, with a bit of a poem celebrating life on it, one of course does this by dancing on graves and yes this is the start of the spooky stuff as the title does imply. So what we have is our three friends seemingly being haunted, minimally at first and it progresses worse and worse as the movie goes on. Paranormal investigators are brought in to try and help and one of them is really helpful, the other not so much. I won't tell you which one is which, but I will tell the female one is really cute. I love a girl with black hair and kind of a bookish look to her. You will have to wait a bit for some kills, but that is okay as the movie has a good enough story to overcome this. It isn't all perfect as there is a bit of confusion as to why the letter is set on the grave in the first place though I do suppose it adds a hint of mystery to the flick. Just like the poor unfortunate girl who is shown at the beginning. Some of the effects at the end were a bit cheesy as well, however, this can be forgiven too because I doubt this movie had a very big budget. I can say though that the spooks looked rather good.

this movie was pretty much freaking amazing

Author: kindoflikeflying from United States
30 November 2006

First of all, I'm one of those people who go into horror movies and ending up laughing at every little thing in it. This movie is probably on the same level of SNAKES ON A PLANE. So if you liked that movie, I'd say you'd like this. It has the same sense of the movie SEEMS serious, but it can't possibly be serious because of the ridiculousness.

The last few minutes of the movie made me laugh till I cried my brains out. It really was a great time.

The photography in the movie was brilliant. There were beautifully put-together scenes.

The plot line, eh, it was okay at best.

But you can't go into movies like these being pretentious or demanding that your expectations be met.

In order to truly enjoy a movie, you have to take it for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Different people are scared by different things.

And as for me, I just laugh at everything.

I really liked this movie

Author: dawn-173 from United Kingdom
28 November 2006

After so many typical and rubbish 'Teen' Horror type movies lately or the horrifically gory Saw type movies (which I personally don't class as true horrors, but some kind of sick mind warp class of genre), it was nice to see something refreshingly different. This movie is by no means not the best horror film ever made, BUT its light hearted sarcasm make a nice comedy touch, whilst the scary moments are quite chilling, and the effects made me jump. Loved the story line and cast. This film has a nice 'could watch again' feel to it, especially on a dark winters night for added atmosphere. This has what I like about horror movies.... oh and Dominic Purcell is always nice to see ;-)

Friggin awesome horror flick!

Author: D-Sligar from United States
23 November 2006

This film was just friggin awesome, though I think one of the few detractors is the title, which is quite cheesy and probably turned quite a few people away from the rental. Other than that and some hokey "Evil Dead" animation at the end, this film totally delivers as promised! If you want a great horror film that will have you jumping when you least expect it, check it out. This is definitely a keeper in my book and I'll be reaching for it when I want to see my friends jumping too! My chief complaint with the movie is the way it devolved toward the end and payed good homage to the the original Evil Dead film (it's one of my favorite classics, but goes a bit overboard toward the end). Overall, I gotta say I loved it.

Oh yeah, one other serious detractor was the second male lead; bad, bad, bad acting. Who was this guy, the director's brother? Just ignore him though, Gravedancers delivers where it promises... right at the seat of your shorts!

far better than last night's dark ride

Author: socalsurfkid from United States
18 November 2006

"Desecrating a burial site isn't such a good idea in "The Gravedancers," a modestly budgeted yet effects-heavy horror opus. It's reminiscent of prior fantasy faves, but it's flashy and entertaining enough to win favor from the genre faithful." –Dennis Harvey "However, in the end I was still more than satisfied with the result. In an era of creepy ghost girls, it's nice to see that someone out there is still trying to make good, original haunted house movies. This is a great and suspenseful horror movie which delivers both the scares and the chills. Finally, let me quote "Black Christmas" when I say - if this doesn't make your skin crawl - it's on too tight!" – Slasherpool.com "The Gravedancers sure is a bloody good movie! It's suspenseful, it's creepy and it's got an original and tight story which will keep you on the edge of your seat. A truly terrifying horror flick which I strongly recommend. It might not be flawless, but if you're looking for a good time, you've found it." – Slasherpool.com "An exacting ghost story wielding an old school fright mentality that works its way under your skin to do one mean Irish jig all over your nerves." –Ryan Rotten, Dreadcentral.com

better than last night's dark ride

Author: mallorygold from New York
18 November 2006

Beginning as most cheap horror films do with the death of a pretty young female, The Grave Dancers lacks the opening to draw in the viewer. It's not until after the opening credits, a funeral and a reunion of three old friends that the story takes off and grabs a hold of the viewer's attention. In a drunken haze, the three friends decide to say goodbye to their friend one last time by going to the gravesite and paying their condolences. Awaiting their arrival for no apparent reason is a note atop the tombstone that intrigues them all to dance on separate graves. As the sun rises and the three friends return to there separate lives, all of them begin to notice strange occurrences going on in their lives. With every passing day getting worse, the three friends begin to fear for their lives as the ghost like scares become physical. For those of you who like ghost stories and witchcraft, The Grave Dancers is right for you. With a cast of beautiful actors, this film is sure to keep you interested till the very end.

This scary flick creeped me out!

Author: BoardWarrior from West Texas
11 November 2006

Wow! What a neat little film. Though slightly predictable, this film delivers the goods. The atmosphere created by director Mendez is creepy and offers chills galore. Several times during the movie you will find yourself jumping about, grabbing your girlfriend, and inhaling your popcorn. It's everything you can ask for in a supernatural horror flick. As a big fan of Japanese ghost stories, this one finally achieves the levels usually reserved for Asian audiences. I've often lamented, that except for 'The Changeling', most American writers, directors, and studios can't seem to create a decent ghost story. Finally one has arrived that curls your hair. I give it a solid nine out of ten stars, and recommend this great little date movie to all true horror fans. Kudos to an excellent cast and soundtrack also.

Horror Fest Brings more than just B movies.

Author: chipsimon2 from United States
7 November 2006

during the weekend of November 17th-19th Lionsgate and After Dark Films is putting on a nation wide horror event that is bringing 8 horror films to cities across the country. there is rumors floating around as well that snoop dogs "Hood of Horror" is also screening as a 9th film for the weekend. This is the going to be the first annual horror fest and it is up to you the fans to see that it is a success.

I Recently saw a promo video of The Gravedancers and was pleasantly surprised on how well it was done. Jose Marran is amazing in her role as Kirra. With a supporting cast of newer actors, the vibe of the film is both scary and disturbing. With plenty of blood and guts to make even the biggest horror fans excited, this film will make you look behind your door and closet before you get into bed.

Even though I saw a promo vid with a bit of excess footage that i'm sure will get cut out for the theatrical release, the film flowed really well and kept my attention from start to finish. the sound and cinematography is top notch which adds a bit of realism to an otherwise unrealistic film.

For those of you who are into ghost stories and witch craft, The Gravedancers is just for you. With such a short release time (one weekend and one weekend only) be sure to mark your calenders for November 17th-19th and check out The Gravedancers.

About as scary as a Scooby Doo cartoon...in reruns...

Author: MichaelLibinAP from United States
12 September 2007

I can't believe this video was included in the "After Dark" horror package--8 Films To Die For. Every film was exceptionally good, despite low budgets and zero star power. This mess was horrific--but for all of the wrong reasons. I've seen better acting in high school plays, the plot grew more absurd by the minute, the "creature effects" looked like a grade school papier-mache art project...and I'm still trying to figure out if a central character's resemblance to Thelma in "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" was intentional or an unfortunate boo boo. Speaking of "boo boo", kids in bedsheets are scarier than this recycled mish-mash of "don't disrespect the graves" melodrama.

(Spoiler ahead!) And, can we talk about about the plot holes the size of a Buick? First of all, Allison didn't dance on any graves, so why were the spirits out to get her? Second, if the house (at the end) was completely enclosed in iron fencing, how did Allison escape through the window? And why was there a "Cheerwine" vending machine in the house?! Not to mention half a jaw was left unburied at the film's end...negating the "happily ever after" ending.

Yikes! Skip this film and rent the other 7--they are excellent--particularly "Reincarnation".