IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

this movie was pretty much freaking amazing

Author: kindoflikeflying from United States
30 November 2006

First of all, I'm one of those people who go into horror movies and ending up laughing at every little thing in it. This movie is probably on the same level of SNAKES ON A PLANE. So if you liked that movie, I'd say you'd like this. It has the same sense of the movie SEEMS serious, but it can't possibly be serious because of the ridiculousness.

The last few minutes of the movie made me laugh till I cried my brains out. It really was a great time.

The photography in the movie was brilliant. There were beautifully put-together scenes.

The plot line, eh, it was okay at best.

But you can't go into movies like these being pretentious or demanding that your expectations be met.

In order to truly enjoy a movie, you have to take it for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Different people are scared by different things.

And as for me, I just laugh at everything.

Friggin awesome horror flick!

Author: D-Sligar from United States
23 November 2006

This film was just friggin awesome, though I think one of the few detractors is the title, which is quite cheesy and probably turned quite a few people away from the rental. Other than that and some hokey "Evil Dead" animation at the end, this film totally delivers as promised! If you want a great horror film that will have you jumping when you least expect it, check it out. This is definitely a keeper in my book and I'll be reaching for it when I want to see my friends jumping too! My chief complaint with the movie is the way it devolved toward the end and payed good homage to the the original Evil Dead film (it's one of my favorite classics, but goes a bit overboard toward the end). Overall, I gotta say I loved it.

Oh yeah, one other serious detractor was the second male lead; bad, bad, bad acting. Who was this guy, the director's brother? Just ignore him though, Gravedancers delivers where it promises... right at the seat of your shorts!

far better than last night's dark ride

Author: socalsurfkid from United States
18 November 2006

"Desecrating a burial site isn't such a good idea in "The Gravedancers," a modestly budgeted yet effects-heavy horror opus. It's reminiscent of prior fantasy faves, but it's flashy and entertaining enough to win favor from the genre faithful." –Dennis Harvey "However, in the end I was still more than satisfied with the result. In an era of creepy ghost girls, it's nice to see that someone out there is still trying to make good, original haunted house movies. This is a great and suspenseful horror movie which delivers both the scares and the chills. Finally, let me quote "Black Christmas" when I say - if this doesn't make your skin crawl - it's on too tight!" – Slasherpool.com "The Gravedancers sure is a bloody good movie! It's suspenseful, it's creepy and it's got an original and tight story which will keep you on the edge of your seat. A truly terrifying horror flick which I strongly recommend. It might not be flawless, but if you're looking for a good time, you've found it." – Slasherpool.com "An exacting ghost story wielding an old school fright mentality that works its way under your skin to do one mean Irish jig all over your nerves." –Ryan Rotten, Dreadcentral.com

This scary flick creeped me out!

Author: BoardWarrior from West Texas
11 November 2006

Wow! What a neat little film. Though slightly predictable, this film delivers the goods. The atmosphere created by director Mendez is creepy and offers chills galore. Several times during the movie you will find yourself jumping about, grabbing your girlfriend, and inhaling your popcorn. It's everything you can ask for in a supernatural horror flick. As a big fan of Japanese ghost stories, this one finally achieves the levels usually reserved for Asian audiences. I've often lamented, that except for 'The Changeling', most American writers, directors, and studios can't seem to create a decent ghost story. Finally one has arrived that curls your hair. I give it a solid nine out of ten stars, and recommend this great little date movie to all true horror fans. Kudos to an excellent cast and soundtrack also.

Horror Fest Brings more than just B movies.

Author: chipsimon2 from United States
7 November 2006

during the weekend of November 17th-19th Lionsgate and After Dark Films is putting on a nation wide horror event that is bringing 8 horror films to cities across the country. there is rumors floating around as well that snoop dogs "Hood of Horror" is also screening as a 9th film for the weekend. This is the going to be the first annual horror fest and it is up to you the fans to see that it is a success.

I Recently saw a promo video of The Gravedancers and was pleasantly surprised on how well it was done. Jose Marran is amazing in her role as Kirra. With a supporting cast of newer actors, the vibe of the film is both scary and disturbing. With plenty of blood and guts to make even the biggest horror fans excited, this film will make you look behind your door and closet before you get into bed.

Even though I saw a promo vid with a bit of excess footage that i'm sure will get cut out for the theatrical release, the film flowed really well and kept my attention from start to finish. the sound and cinematography is top notch which adds a bit of realism to an otherwise unrealistic film.

For those of you who are into ghost stories and witch craft, The Gravedancers is just for you. With such a short release time (one weekend and one weekend only) be sure to mark your calenders for November 17th-19th and check out The Gravedancers.

Respect the Dead

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 September 2007

The former friends Harris (Dominic Purcell), Kira (Josie Maran) and Sid (Marcus Thomas) reunite for drinking after the funeral service of an old friend that died in a car accident. When the bar closes, Sid proposes to go to the Cresent View Cemetery to say farewell to his friend and drink more. Once there, Sid finds a letter in a tombstone, reads it and they dance on three graves. On the next days, weird things happen in the house of Harris and his wife Allison (Clare Kramer), but Allison believes it is Kira, who has a crush on Harris, stalking them. They go to Kira's house and find her wounded in a completely destroyed place. Later Sid calls them and they are introduced to the paranormal investigators Vincent Cochet (Tcheky Kayro) and Frances (Megahn Perry), who tell them that Sid read an ancient spell that cursed the trio and brought back the ghosts of the graves from the damned sector of the cemetery where they danced. He also discloses that Harris and Allison are being haunted by an insane ax murderer pianist; Kira by a sadistic rapist; and Sid by a pyromaniac. They have to break the curse or survive for an entire cycle of the full moon when the curse would finish, while the ghosts are getting stronger and stronger.

Yesterday I saw "The Gravedancers" on cable and I really liked this horror movie. The supernatural ghost story is original and scary, having right doses of humor and funny moments, and the acting is reasonable. This is the first time that I see the idea of bringing ghosts back from hell through the disrespect to the grave of the dead, and I found it great. This movie is highly recommended to fans of the genre. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Carta Para a Morte" ("Letter to the Death")

Another horror film devoid of colours.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
5 January 2014

A solid premise, some decent twists, OK visual effects, and a very sexy female cast. On the flip side, there's the cheesy dialogue that alternates between unfunny intentional "humour" and almost funny unintentional humour.

The other downside is the same thing I can say about the vast majority of horror films these days: the damn lack of colours.

At some point about 10-15 years ago it became hip to make greenish-blueish movies devoid of reality-based colours. The look of most horror films nowadays is depressing, gloomy, unappealing, and unrealistic. Dark-blue, filth-green and pale-yellow seem to dominate; other colours are a no-no. This destroys the visual fun of watching movies. Compare the typical lively-coloured 70s or early 80s flick with almost any made this century, and the huge quality drop becomes even more apparent. Hopefully, just as cheesy 80s synth-pop went out of fashion eventually, perhaps film-makers will finally realize that they don't HAVE to apply new computer software gadgetry to EVERY damn movie they make. Just because a new technology is on offer doesn't mean it should become your only bread-and-butter, while ignoring all other options and avenues.

Spadedancers

Author: BakuryuuTyranno from United Kingdom
8 April 2012

This movie is pretty inventive, and it takes its time setting up the scenario. Naturally that's important because if a film features characters disrespecting the dead and dancing on top of graves, it takes some effort getting the audience to invest in these people.

Therefore they get significant character focus though admittedly the lead couple receive the most focus. Kira soon gets found in terrible condition by the leads and therefore she isn't seen much under normal conditions. Actually their personalities don't stand out much although they are pretty likable characters, particularly Vincent.

The ghosts stand out from many recent ghost-related films, they have strangely odd eyes, demented grins and sometimes their limbs bent oddly (that might only have been one in particular, I'm not sure). Their attacks are based on their own crimes in their lives, giving them individuality.

"The Gravedancers" is a very story-dependent horror film, and therefore there isn't much gore, for those interested mainly in violence. There are several attacks but because the ghosts usually intend to torment their victims instead of immediately killing them, the (onscreen) violence is quite tame compared to films focused primarily on a high body count.

A fun horror movie

Author: JoeB131 from United States
18 March 2012

The plot is that a group of college friends attend the funeral of a classmate, and at a drunken party at his grave, find a card with an incantation, which extols them to dance on the graves of others. And of course, they do so on the graves of three killers, because, hey, what fun would it be if they were haunted by dead librarians or something.

Seriously, more plot convenience than a 7-11.

But the movie is save by some okay special effects and some decent acting, and some not bad dialog. Lesser hands like the ones who produce 90% of the horror direct to video schlock could have screwed this up.

It drags in parts and the final plot device (A paranormal investigator decides to keep the skulls of the ghosts so they can get proof of ghosts) is kind of silly.

Grave Dancing

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
22 October 2011

I like horror movies with a preference toward haunted house movie and old school horror, and I like this movie... up to a point. The premise: three friends get drunk after a funeral and dance at the cemetery on graves in the area for the deranged. Afterwards, they become haunted by the psychos over whose bodies they danced. Why? Because a mysterious person left behind a chant which they... just happened to announce out loud. The premise is good, but the why is contrived. The story is scary, the ghosts are casual and the chain of events is preposterous as is the ghost hunters who risk their safety to help them. It is very hard for me to believe that the parapsychologist in the movie would go to such extreme ways and such a leap of faith to dig up some graves and follow a ridiculous mystical ritual instead of just tracking down the person who left the note that starts everything off. What? Did he get his degree out of a box of Crackerjacks? Besides that, several of the ghost sequences are scary, but the climax is a bit anticlimactic. Paranormal accuracy is out the window for sake of story, but the movie is a "worth-see" if you want good to uneven scares.