IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Horror Fest Brings more than just B movies.

Author: chipsimon2 from United States
7 November 2006

during the weekend of November 17th-19th Lionsgate and After Dark Films is putting on a nation wide horror event that is bringing 8 horror films to cities across the country. there is rumors floating around as well that snoop dogs "Hood of Horror" is also screening as a 9th film for the weekend. This is the going to be the first annual horror fest and it is up to you the fans to see that it is a success.

I Recently saw a promo video of The Gravedancers and was pleasantly surprised on how well it was done. Jose Marran is amazing in her role as Kirra. With a supporting cast of newer actors, the vibe of the film is both scary and disturbing. With plenty of blood and guts to make even the biggest horror fans excited, this film will make you look behind your door and closet before you get into bed.

Even though I saw a promo vid with a bit of excess footage that i'm sure will get cut out for the theatrical release, the film flowed really well and kept my attention from start to finish. the sound and cinematography is top notch which adds a bit of realism to an otherwise unrealistic film.

For those of you who are into ghost stories and witch craft, The Gravedancers is just for you. With such a short release time (one weekend and one weekend only) be sure to mark your calenders for November 17th-19th and check out The Gravedancers.

A Real Horror flick to Laugh You To Death

Author: mindcat from South Carolina
30 July 2008

I would give this rating a negative 5, but only can go as low as a one. The acting in this flick was so bad, it was down right hilarious.

The plot could have been so much more creative, and the special effects were funny as the devil.

I suppose 12 year old would really find this flick scary. Unfortunately, it came with phony over ratings and in fact wasn't really worth making.

I regret to say, show this at a party of 11-12 year old, they will delight in it. Also I suppose people with severe to moderate brain damage might enjoy it.

Its a dud.

Respect the Dead

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 September 2007

The former friends Harris (Dominic Purcell), Kira (Josie Maran) and Sid (Marcus Thomas) reunite for drinking after the funeral service of an old friend that died in a car accident. When the bar closes, Sid proposes to go to the Cresent View Cemetery to say farewell to his friend and drink more. Once there, Sid finds a letter in a tombstone, reads it and they dance on three graves. On the next days, weird things happen in the house of Harris and his wife Allison (Clare Kramer), but Allison believes it is Kira, who has a crush on Harris, stalking them. They go to Kira's house and find her wounded in a completely destroyed place. Later Sid calls them and they are introduced to the paranormal investigators Vincent Cochet (Tcheky Kayro) and Frances (Megahn Perry), who tell them that Sid read an ancient spell that cursed the trio and brought back the ghosts of the graves from the damned sector of the cemetery where they danced. He also discloses that Harris and Allison are being haunted by an insane ax murderer pianist; Kira by a sadistic rapist; and Sid by a pyromaniac. They have to break the curse or survive for an entire cycle of the full moon when the curse would finish, while the ghosts are getting stronger and stronger.

Yesterday I saw "The Gravedancers" on cable and I really liked this horror movie. The supernatural ghost story is original and scary, having right doses of humor and funny moments, and the acting is reasonable. This is the first time that I see the idea of bringing ghosts back from hell through the disrespect to the grave of the dead, and I found it great. This movie is highly recommended to fans of the genre. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Carta Para a Morte" ("Letter to the Death")

what a load of crud!

Author: toasland from United Kingdom
12 February 2007

After reading many very positive reviews on 'The Gravedancers', I was so excited at the prospect of seeing an 'excellent' horror, as it has been years since I had my pants scared off. Comments like "I think I am going to have a heart attack" made me turn off the lights, grab the popcorn and set the home entertainment system to max frightening mode! What a waste of clean undies and popcorn that was. The acting was appalling..I think the cast were members of Pinocchio's family, the 'special effects' did not even come into that actual category, and the script..My 2 year old could have done equally as well, if not better. The only scary thing about the whole movie was that I wasted 95 minutes of my life that could have been so much more productively spent, doing something like picking my nose or scratching my butt. Do not bother even picking up the DVD case for this embarrassing example of a horror film. Just awful!

I really wanted to like this.

Author: TheGreatBeyond from United States
28 April 2006

Saw the premiere at Tribeca. Was really hoping to love it. Forgave the first onslaught of horror clichés, writing them off as elements of horror movie tradition, but as they wore endlessly on, so did my patience. The director (Mike Mendez) should be praised for doing what he could with an abominable script, mediocre actors, and laughable makeup & effects. The atmosphere was genuinely creepy and the photography very good. However, Mendez overused the clichéd "Creepy music building to a benign startle" and "Eerie silence punctuated by loud startling noise" ad nauseum. Get a new gimmick. Overall, I would be excited to see what Mendez would do with a better script and cast, a larger budget, and the confidence to rely on atmosphere and story rather than cheap scares.

Another horror film devoid of colours.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
5 January 2014

A solid premise, some decent twists, OK visual effects, and a very sexy female cast. On the flip side, there's the cheesy dialogue that alternates between unfunny intentional "humour" and almost funny unintentional humour.

The other downside is the same thing I can say about the vast majority of horror films these days: the damn lack of colours.

At some point about 10-15 years ago it became hip to make greenish-blueish movies devoid of reality-based colours. The look of most horror films nowadays is depressing, gloomy, unappealing, and unrealistic. Dark-blue, filth-green and pale-yellow seem to dominate; other colours are a no-no. This destroys the visual fun of watching movies. Compare the typical lively-coloured 70s or early 80s flick with almost any made this century, and the huge quality drop becomes even more apparent. Hopefully, just as cheesy 80s synth-pop went out of fashion eventually, perhaps film-makers will finally realize that they don't HAVE to apply new computer software gadgetry to EVERY damn movie they make. Just because a new technology is on offer doesn't mean it should become your only bread-and-butter, while ignoring all other options and avenues.

Author: BakuryuuTyranno from United Kingdom
8 April 2012

This movie is pretty inventive, and it takes its time setting up the scenario. Naturally that's important because if a film features characters disrespecting the dead and dancing on top of graves, it takes some effort getting the audience to invest in these people.

Therefore they get significant character focus though admittedly the lead couple receive the most focus. Kira soon gets found in terrible condition by the leads and therefore she isn't seen much under normal conditions. Actually their personalities don't stand out much although they are pretty likable characters, particularly Vincent.

The ghosts stand out from many recent ghost-related films, they have strangely odd eyes, demented grins and sometimes their limbs bent oddly (that might only have been one in particular, I'm not sure). Their attacks are based on their own crimes in their lives, giving them individuality.

"The Gravedancers" is a very story-dependent horror film, and therefore there isn't much gore, for those interested mainly in violence. There are several attacks but because the ghosts usually intend to torment their victims instead of immediately killing them, the (onscreen) violence is quite tame compared to films focused primarily on a high body count.

A fun horror movie

Author: JoeB131 from United States
18 March 2012

The plot is that a group of college friends attend the funeral of a classmate, and at a drunken party at his grave, find a card with an incantation, which extols them to dance on the graves of others. And of course, they do so on the graves of three killers, because, hey, what fun would it be if they were haunted by dead librarians or something.

Seriously, more plot convenience than a 7-11.

But the movie is save by some okay special effects and some decent acting, and some not bad dialog. Lesser hands like the ones who produce 90% of the horror direct to video schlock could have screwed this up.

It drags in parts and the final plot device (A paranormal investigator decides to keep the skulls of the ghosts so they can get proof of ghosts) is kind of silly.

Grave Dancing

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
22 October 2011

I like horror movies with a preference toward haunted house movie and old school horror, and I like this movie... up to a point. The premise: three friends get drunk after a funeral and dance at the cemetery on graves in the area for the deranged. Afterwards, they become haunted by the psychos over whose bodies they danced. Why? Because a mysterious person left behind a chant which they... just happened to announce out loud. The premise is good, but the why is contrived. The story is scary, the ghosts are casual and the chain of events is preposterous as is the ghost hunters who risk their safety to help them. It is very hard for me to believe that the parapsychologist in the movie would go to such extreme ways and such a leap of faith to dig up some graves and follow a ridiculous mystical ritual instead of just tracking down the person who left the note that starts everything off. What? Did he get his degree out of a box of Crackerjacks? Besides that, several of the ghost sequences are scary, but the climax is a bit anticlimactic. Paranormal accuracy is out the window for sake of story, but the movie is a "worth-see" if you want good to uneven scares.

Unintentionally silly than actually scary

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 October 2011

This isn't a awful scary movie but it's still pretty darn bad. The whole movie just didn't flow very well and just comes off random a lot of times with it's events. The pop up scares are just bunch of cheap shots in this and the only scary thing is the design of the ghost. The ghost actually look pretty scary but that is far as that goes. It seems they didn't know what direction to go with this and it just seemed all over the place. The horror elements isn't anything new and sometimes comes off funny than actually scary and they didn't intentionally try to go in a humorous direction. The whole premise is just plain stupid and silly than actually scare you can't help but roll your eyes. It seemed like they were just making it up as they went and didn't think things through in creating one story that would work. The whole movie just comes off as one big mess than a legit horror flick. There is just a lot to this movie that just doesn't make any sense. Not many but there were few scenes that was entertaining somewhat since it's over the top silly. Especially near the end with the ghost battle. Overall this is more of a ridiculous and humorous flick than scary, it isn't a super awful horror movie but it's pretty close. I give it a 3.9 because the silly parts were at least somewhat entertaining.