IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Friggin awesome horror flick!

Author: D-Sligar from United States
23 November 2006

This film was just friggin awesome, though I think one of the few detractors is the title, which is quite cheesy and probably turned quite a few people away from the rental. Other than that and some hokey "Evil Dead" animation at the end, this film totally delivers as promised! If you want a great horror film that will have you jumping when you least expect it, check it out. This is definitely a keeper in my book and I'll be reaching for it when I want to see my friends jumping too! My chief complaint with the movie is the way it devolved toward the end and payed good homage to the the original Evil Dead film (it's one of my favorite classics, but goes a bit overboard toward the end). Overall, I gotta say I loved it.

Oh yeah, one other serious detractor was the second male lead; bad, bad, bad acting. Who was this guy, the director's brother? Just ignore him though, Gravedancers delivers where it promises... right at the seat of your shorts!

far better than last night's dark ride

Author: socalsurfkid from United States
18 November 2006

"Desecrating a burial site isn't such a good idea in "The Gravedancers," a modestly budgeted yet effects-heavy horror opus. It's reminiscent of prior fantasy faves, but it's flashy and entertaining enough to win favor from the genre faithful." –Dennis Harvey "However, in the end I was still more than satisfied with the result. In an era of creepy ghost girls, it's nice to see that someone out there is still trying to make good, original haunted house movies. This is a great and suspenseful horror movie which delivers both the scares and the chills. Finally, let me quote "Black Christmas" when I say - if this doesn't make your skin crawl - it's on too tight!" – "The Gravedancers sure is a bloody good movie! It's suspenseful, it's creepy and it's got an original and tight story which will keep you on the edge of your seat. A truly terrifying horror flick which I strongly recommend. It might not be flawless, but if you're looking for a good time, you've found it." – "An exacting ghost story wielding an old school fright mentality that works its way under your skin to do one mean Irish jig all over your nerves." –Ryan Rotten,

This scary flick creeped me out!

Author: BoardWarrior from West Texas
11 November 2006

Wow! What a neat little film. Though slightly predictable, this film delivers the goods. The atmosphere created by director Mendez is creepy and offers chills galore. Several times during the movie you will find yourself jumping about, grabbing your girlfriend, and inhaling your popcorn. It's everything you can ask for in a supernatural horror flick. As a big fan of Japanese ghost stories, this one finally achieves the levels usually reserved for Asian audiences. I've often lamented, that except for 'The Changeling', most American writers, directors, and studios can't seem to create a decent ghost story. Finally one has arrived that curls your hair. I give it a solid nine out of ten stars, and recommend this great little date movie to all true horror fans. Kudos to an excellent cast and soundtrack also.

Horror Fest Brings more than just B movies.

Author: chipsimon2 from United States
7 November 2006

during the weekend of November 17th-19th Lionsgate and After Dark Films is putting on a nation wide horror event that is bringing 8 horror films to cities across the country. there is rumors floating around as well that snoop dogs "Hood of Horror" is also screening as a 9th film for the weekend. This is the going to be the first annual horror fest and it is up to you the fans to see that it is a success.

I Recently saw a promo video of The Gravedancers and was pleasantly surprised on how well it was done. Jose Marran is amazing in her role as Kirra. With a supporting cast of newer actors, the vibe of the film is both scary and disturbing. With plenty of blood and guts to make even the biggest horror fans excited, this film will make you look behind your door and closet before you get into bed.

Even though I saw a promo vid with a bit of excess footage that i'm sure will get cut out for the theatrical release, the film flowed really well and kept my attention from start to finish. the sound and cinematography is top notch which adds a bit of realism to an otherwise unrealistic film.

For those of you who are into ghost stories and witch craft, The Gravedancers is just for you. With such a short release time (one weekend and one weekend only) be sure to mark your calenders for November 17th-19th and check out The Gravedancers.

A Real Horror flick to Laugh You To Death

Author: mindcat from South Carolina
30 July 2008

I would give this rating a negative 5, but only can go as low as a one. The acting in this flick was so bad, it was down right hilarious.

The plot could have been so much more creative, and the special effects were funny as the devil.

I suppose 12 year old would really find this flick scary. Unfortunately, it came with phony over ratings and in fact wasn't really worth making.

I regret to say, show this at a party of 11-12 year old, they will delight in it. Also I suppose people with severe to moderate brain damage might enjoy it.

Its a dud.

Respect the Dead

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 September 2007

The former friends Harris (Dominic Purcell), Kira (Josie Maran) and Sid (Marcus Thomas) reunite for drinking after the funeral service of an old friend that died in a car accident. When the bar closes, Sid proposes to go to the Cresent View Cemetery to say farewell to his friend and drink more. Once there, Sid finds a letter in a tombstone, reads it and they dance on three graves. On the next days, weird things happen in the house of Harris and his wife Allison (Clare Kramer), but Allison believes it is Kira, who has a crush on Harris, stalking them. They go to Kira's house and find her wounded in a completely destroyed place. Later Sid calls them and they are introduced to the paranormal investigators Vincent Cochet (Tcheky Kayro) and Frances (Megahn Perry), who tell them that Sid read an ancient spell that cursed the trio and brought back the ghosts of the graves from the damned sector of the cemetery where they danced. He also discloses that Harris and Allison are being haunted by an insane ax murderer pianist; Kira by a sadistic rapist; and Sid by a pyromaniac. They have to break the curse or survive for an entire cycle of the full moon when the curse would finish, while the ghosts are getting stronger and stronger.

Yesterday I saw "The Gravedancers" on cable and I really liked this horror movie. The supernatural ghost story is original and scary, having right doses of humor and funny moments, and the acting is reasonable. This is the first time that I see the idea of bringing ghosts back from hell through the disrespect to the grave of the dead, and I found it great. This movie is highly recommended to fans of the genre. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Carta Para a Morte" ("Letter to the Death")

what a load of crud!

Author: toasland from United Kingdom
12 February 2007

After reading many very positive reviews on 'The Gravedancers', I was so excited at the prospect of seeing an 'excellent' horror, as it has been years since I had my pants scared off. Comments like "I think I am going to have a heart attack" made me turn off the lights, grab the popcorn and set the home entertainment system to max frightening mode! What a waste of clean undies and popcorn that was. The acting was appalling..I think the cast were members of Pinocchio's family, the 'special effects' did not even come into that actual category, and the script..My 2 year old could have done equally as well, if not better. The only scary thing about the whole movie was that I wasted 95 minutes of my life that could have been so much more productively spent, doing something like picking my nose or scratching my butt. Do not bother even picking up the DVD case for this embarrassing example of a horror film. Just awful!

I really wanted to like this.

Author: TheGreatBeyond from United States
28 April 2006

Saw the premiere at Tribeca. Was really hoping to love it. Forgave the first onslaught of horror clichés, writing them off as elements of horror movie tradition, but as they wore endlessly on, so did my patience. The director (Mike Mendez) should be praised for doing what he could with an abominable script, mediocre actors, and laughable makeup & effects. The atmosphere was genuinely creepy and the photography very good. However, Mendez overused the clichéd "Creepy music building to a benign startle" and "Eerie silence punctuated by loud startling noise" ad nauseum. Get a new gimmick. Overall, I would be excited to see what Mendez would do with a better script and cast, a larger budget, and the confidence to rely on atmosphere and story rather than cheap scares.

Another horror film devoid of colours.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
5 January 2014

A solid premise, some decent twists, OK visual effects, and a very sexy female cast. On the flip side, there's the cheesy dialogue that alternates between unfunny intentional "humour" and almost funny unintentional humour.

The other downside is the same thing I can say about the vast majority of horror films these days: the damn lack of colours.

At some point about 10-15 years ago it became hip to make greenish-blueish movies devoid of reality-based colours. The look of most horror films nowadays is depressing, gloomy, unappealing, and unrealistic. Dark-blue, filth-green and pale-yellow seem to dominate; other colours are a no-no. This destroys the visual fun of watching movies. Compare the typical lively-coloured 70s or early 80s flick with almost any made this century, and the huge quality drop becomes even more apparent. Hopefully, just as cheesy 80s synth-pop went out of fashion eventually, perhaps film-makers will finally realize that they don't HAVE to apply new computer software gadgetry to EVERY damn movie they make. Just because a new technology is on offer doesn't mean it should become your only bread-and-butter, while ignoring all other options and avenues.

Author: BakuryuuTyranno from United Kingdom
8 April 2012

This movie is pretty inventive, and it takes its time setting up the scenario. Naturally that's important because if a film features characters disrespecting the dead and dancing on top of graves, it takes some effort getting the audience to invest in these people.

Therefore they get significant character focus though admittedly the lead couple receive the most focus. Kira soon gets found in terrible condition by the leads and therefore she isn't seen much under normal conditions. Actually their personalities don't stand out much although they are pretty likable characters, particularly Vincent.

The ghosts stand out from many recent ghost-related films, they have strangely odd eyes, demented grins and sometimes their limbs bent oddly (that might only have been one in particular, I'm not sure). Their attacks are based on their own crimes in their lives, giving them individuality.

"The Gravedancers" is a very story-dependent horror film, and therefore there isn't much gore, for those interested mainly in violence. There are several attacks but because the ghosts usually intend to torment their victims instead of immediately killing them, the (onscreen) violence is quite tame compared to films focused primarily on a high body count.