IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Who ya gonna call?

Author: movieman_kev from United States
18 May 2007

Dominic 'Prison Break' Purcell gets drunk with two of his friends and they all dance on graves which doesn't sit well while the insane dead people who's graves they're dancing on and the ghosts decide to haunt these fools. OK, granted the plot is not the most stable, but I found myself enjoying this throwback to '80's horror film none the less. If you forgive the opening sequence that has jack all to do with the rest of the film and the mind baffling climax that turns a pretty cool little horror flick into a borderline comedy, you'll find yourself with a decent film. One capable of providing a few thrills and chills. Purcell was good as the main lead. Almost made me forgive Mike Mandez for "Bimbo Movie Bash"... ALMOST.

My Grade: B

Lionsgate's DVD Extras (R1): Commentary by director Mike Mendez and composer Joe Bashara; 13 minute Making of featurette; deleted scenes; 12 minute look at the making of the ghosts(all of the aforementioned extras have optional commentary) ; storyboard gallery ;3 minute promo trailer; an After Dark compilation trailer; and trailers for Unrest, Reincarnation, the Hamiltons, Dark Ride, & Penny Dreadful

Easter Egg: In the special features menu, highlight the "Also from Lion's Gate" icon and press right for a grave marker icon, click it for a short scene of how a certain effect was done

Graveyard frights awakened.

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
1 October 2010

Mike Mendez really surprised me with this one back in 2007. I saw the trailer about a year prior to watching the film, and it somehow didn't look all that promising to me. But the movie itself actually turned out pretty damn good. Up until then, I wasn't exactly convinced if Mendez would be able to come up with a more serious horror-effort (without the goofy, violent splatter-nonsense imprinted on his previous film, "The Convent"). Let alone one that would actually work this well... Decent story, decent acting, decent effects, decent scares for a film this modestly sized. And even a "Poltergeist"-like climax (sort of, and pretty over-the-top too). I see no reason to ignore this fun clump of scary horror. Entertaining stuff for a dark & stormy night.

Very good movie

Author: kford-6 from United States
16 June 2007

I am a horror buff and have seen quite a few horror movies. I really liked this movie. I gave this movie high ranks for the really well done makeup and the interesting characterizations, but mainly for the intense feel to the plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. The first third of the movie is a bit of a bump-in-the-night portion, that elegantly sets up the latter two-thirds of the movie, as the action builds and the three friends attempt to survive the haunting. The creature affects were some of the most horrifying that I have ever seen (it is the sort of work that gives one nightmares).

Horrorfest flick with the most star power

Author: griffinator01 from Cleveland, Ohio, United States
26 March 2007

You had Dominic Purcell from TV's "Prison Break". He was also in "Blade:Trinity". Josie Moran is from "Van Helsing" which had Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale. Moran played one of the vampire brides.

Tchecky Karyo (sp?) is known for "Taking Lives" with Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke. He was also in the James Band flick, "GoldenEye". I first saw him in the original "La Femme Nikita" (the French 1990 version). He is an excellent actor.

By the way, the movie was actually pretty good. The ending was kind of cheesy, but it was still entertaining. It was the least bloody, and gory, of all of the Horrorfest flicks. It is currently out on DVD. Check it out. You'll like it.

Many Blessings!

Mike Mendez Does It Again

Author: danthewrestlingmanorigin from United States
30 March 2007

I have been eagerly awaiting Mendez's next film, since the The Convent, which was one of my favorite horror films' that year. While Gravdancers is a much more serious, and different film from Convent, I still had a blast.I have one minor complaint, but first I'll start with the good. Number one as several others have mentioned, it's refreshing to see a genre film with actual adult actors, who are reasonably intelligent, although dancing on graves isn't to bright, and not the usual stereotypes. The production values are top notch, and it's just amazing how superior Gravedancers is to virtually every other tired Hollywood supernatural snooze fest to come out over the last several years'. Buffy fans will take delight in Carol Kramer's performance as Purcell's wife. Now my one minor complaint. Dominic Purcell seems like a wooden, and uninteresting actor to me. I didn't mind him so much, as I just was thinking about a hundred other guys who would have been better in the role. I'm probably alone on that, as Prison Break is so popular, but just a minor observation. I highly recommend this movie.

The lesson here, don't read mysterious cards in the graveyard then dance.

Author: Aaron1375
28 March 2007

A rather good offering of horror and the supernatural to behold. Think a better version of the remake of "The Haunting" with a bit of "The Entity" thrown in as well. The movie revolves around a group of three friends who are in mourning for the recent loss of a friend. One of the group wants to go to the cemetery at night to mourn the friend by drinking and talking with his other two college buds. Of course, you know in a movie of this type that is a mistake and is going to lead to the cause of the problem. Well not entirely, the one friend finds a type of card on their friend's grave, with a bit of a poem celebrating life on it, one of course does this by dancing on graves and yes this is the start of the spooky stuff as the title does imply. So what we have is our three friends seemingly being haunted, minimally at first and it progresses worse and worse as the movie goes on. Paranormal investigators are brought in to try and help and one of them is really helpful, the other not so much. I won't tell you which one is which, but I will tell the female one is really cute. I love a girl with black hair and kind of a bookish look to her. You will have to wait a bit for some kills, but that is okay as the movie has a good enough story to overcome this. It isn't all perfect as there is a bit of confusion as to why the letter is set on the grave in the first place though I do suppose it adds a hint of mystery to the flick. Just like the poor unfortunate girl who is shown at the beginning. Some of the effects at the end were a bit cheesy as well, however, this can be forgiven too because I doubt this movie had a very big budget. I can say though that the spooks looked rather good.

this movie was pretty much freaking amazing

Author: kindoflikeflying from United States
30 November 2006

First of all, I'm one of those people who go into horror movies and ending up laughing at every little thing in it. This movie is probably on the same level of SNAKES ON A PLANE. So if you liked that movie, I'd say you'd like this. It has the same sense of the movie SEEMS serious, but it can't possibly be serious because of the ridiculousness.

The last few minutes of the movie made me laugh till I cried my brains out. It really was a great time.

The photography in the movie was brilliant. There were beautifully put-together scenes.

The plot line, eh, it was okay at best.

But you can't go into movies like these being pretentious or demanding that your expectations be met.

In order to truly enjoy a movie, you have to take it for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Different people are scared by different things.

And as for me, I just laugh at everything.

Friggin awesome horror flick!

Author: D-Sligar from United States
23 November 2006

This film was just friggin awesome, though I think one of the few detractors is the title, which is quite cheesy and probably turned quite a few people away from the rental. Other than that and some hokey "Evil Dead" animation at the end, this film totally delivers as promised! If you want a great horror film that will have you jumping when you least expect it, check it out. This is definitely a keeper in my book and I'll be reaching for it when I want to see my friends jumping too! My chief complaint with the movie is the way it devolved toward the end and payed good homage to the the original Evil Dead film (it's one of my favorite classics, but goes a bit overboard toward the end). Overall, I gotta say I loved it.

Oh yeah, one other serious detractor was the second male lead; bad, bad, bad acting. Who was this guy, the director's brother? Just ignore him though, Gravedancers delivers where it promises... right at the seat of your shorts!

far better than last night's dark ride

Author: socalsurfkid from United States
18 November 2006

"Desecrating a burial site isn't such a good idea in "The Gravedancers," a modestly budgeted yet effects-heavy horror opus. It's reminiscent of prior fantasy faves, but it's flashy and entertaining enough to win favor from the genre faithful." –Dennis Harvey "However, in the end I was still more than satisfied with the result. In an era of creepy ghost girls, it's nice to see that someone out there is still trying to make good, original haunted house movies. This is a great and suspenseful horror movie which delivers both the scares and the chills. Finally, let me quote "Black Christmas" when I say - if this doesn't make your skin crawl - it's on too tight!" – Slasherpool.com "The Gravedancers sure is a bloody good movie! It's suspenseful, it's creepy and it's got an original and tight story which will keep you on the edge of your seat. A truly terrifying horror flick which I strongly recommend. It might not be flawless, but if you're looking for a good time, you've found it." – Slasherpool.com "An exacting ghost story wielding an old school fright mentality that works its way under your skin to do one mean Irish jig all over your nerves." –Ryan Rotten, Dreadcentral.com

This scary flick creeped me out!

Author: BoardWarrior from West Texas
11 November 2006

Wow! What a neat little film. Though slightly predictable, this film delivers the goods. The atmosphere created by director Mendez is creepy and offers chills galore. Several times during the movie you will find yourself jumping about, grabbing your girlfriend, and inhaling your popcorn. It's everything you can ask for in a supernatural horror flick. As a big fan of Japanese ghost stories, this one finally achieves the levels usually reserved for Asian audiences. I've often lamented, that except for 'The Changeling', most American writers, directors, and studios can't seem to create a decent ghost story. Finally one has arrived that curls your hair. I give it a solid nine out of ten stars, and recommend this great little date movie to all true horror fans. Kudos to an excellent cast and soundtrack also.