IMDb > The Gravedancers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gravedancers

The Gravedancers More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 13: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Pretty Damn Good and Scary!

Author: K B from United States
7 June 2006

I saw this movie at the Tribeca Film Festival and I have to say, I was blown away. The special effects are great! The performances are decent (you don't need academy award-winning performances for a horror flick) and overall it's just a fun movie to watch. I hope it gets a theatrical release because it's such a cool and scary movie to see in the theaters. If it is released on DVD I will definitely buy it. It's cool with an original story hook and original and climatic ending. There are clichés, but hey, what horror movie doesn't have'em.

You like horror. This movie is a must. The only thing I would recommend to the producers to change is the title - Gravedancers. It's just me, but I would like a scarier title for a movie like this.

Other than that, it's a must see!

What? Glowing Reviews? How and Why?

Author: VWstarwars from United States
1 November 2010

I was reading over the top user reviews for this movie and ended up checking the credits to make sure I was looking at the right movie. You have got to be kidding me . . . Scary? Well done? Muscles all tensed up the entire time? This movie was so substandard and laughable, atrocious acting and worse script . . . I almost feel like family and friends of the cast & crew came on here to write reviews and rate this thing. It has been some time since I came across one that was this bad. The hokey effect of the little boy with the monster head running around as some "supposed" ghost, followed by a cheesy looking fire effect. Wow! This movie is really bad!

lame....

Author: fromhell_samael from Romania
17 June 2007

this has to be the lamest movie ever.....god... I can't imagine why somebody would like such a movie , it is lame , it has no sense , what's the deal with the french dude , his place is not in this motion picture ... really , and his assistant , she is a little retarded ? why were those guys going to get drunk in a cemetery ? had they any link with the occult phenomenon ? ...the "spirits" are totally lame , they look like the possessed girl from scary movie 2 and that's a parody movie ..... this one would have been a lot better if it was a parody.... oh , and the ending.....even the giant ghost head/skull is retarded , why is he doing a head-smack on the jeep ... he is a ghost , he has paranormal powers and stuff like that..... but i'll give it a 6 because of some super lame/funny scenes when I cracked laughing......

I want these 95 minutes of my life back!

Author: spapaleo1966 from United States
4 May 2007

As I slowly progress through the "8 Films to Die For," I am not finding any true gems other than "Penny Dreadful." "Wicked Little Things" was a complete disappointment and "Dark Ride" was a remake of "The Funhouse" with no credit given to either Tobe Hooper or Lawrence Block.

"The Gravedancers," is the worst of the lot thus far. It simply confirms the old horror movie adage that stupid people die the most horrendous deaths. The bizarre opening of the film, designed to let the audience know that, "Yes! You ARE watching a horror film!" is completely unfounded and useless. From there, the film jumps ahead one year to the funeral of a car accident victim. The funeral brings together old college friends who never really grew up or out of old habits. The main characters, a trio of real geniuses, make some very regretful decisions. For example, one skips the funeral and shows up to help the others get drunk. Their first bad decision – getting drunk at the graveyard, where one finds what he believes to be a sympathy card resting against the headstone. The second bad decision – reading the "sympathy card" aloud. The third bad decision – following the card's instructions to "dance" on the graves.

The aforementioned events culminate in each of the three friends experiencing a haunting. Which brings us to the ghosts…a point at which the plot could have been redeemed. There is a baby pyromaniac, a jurist-rapist, and a female axe-murderer, none of which are very frightening. Despite the low budget of the film, the effects are decent, save for the golf-ball eyes in a K-Mart Halloween mask that served as Emma The Axe-Murderer's head.

Enlisting the help of two idiotic parapsychologists leads to yet more very bad decision-making. For instance, the ghost-hunters suggest that, since the trio desecrated the graves, their only hope is to remove the corpses from their plots and rebury them elsewhere. Huh?!? Isn't that just a double-desecration? I won't spoil the ending by simply saying that it's ridiculous…you actually have to view it to believe how silly it is. For those of you who may have wasted 96 minutes of your time already, I will say this: The giant hand that I envisioned was pointing its middle finger at the filmmakers.

Schlocky Horrorfest

Author: stmichaeldet (stmichaeldet@yahoo.com) from Detroit, MI, USA
7 April 2007

The Gravedancers really, really wants to be a stylish, indie ghost flick, but despite hitting some of the required notes for a trendy horror film, it can't quite drag itself out of the low-budget schlock realm. If this turns out to be representative of the After Dark films, I'm gonna be kinda disappointed, since, because of all the hype I was expecting more, but at least I'll be set for a few months of cheap badfilm thrills.

Gravedancers is the story of three old friends who reunite at the funeral of the fourth member of their clique, and decide to visit his grave late that night to pay their last respects together, privately. Unfortunately, their idea of last respects involves unwittingly desecrating graves in the Psycho Section of the cemetery. (What, you didn't know that graveyards have special sections set aside for rapists, murderers, and crazy people? Well, apparently, they do.) The ghosts follow them home, and have until the next full moon to try to kill them in ways reflecting their bad habits in life.

What follows from this premise, sadly, is a parade of horror clichés ranging from slasher tropes from the '80s, like starting the film with some poor, nameless character who's killed before the credits, to overused modern gimmicks like sledgehammering the tone of scenes with a severely limited palette. (In this case, sepia is the color of choice for telegraphing "Be scared now" to the audience.) Add in a couple of heavily stereotyped ghost hunters ("Paranormal investigators!"), an old book with all the answers, a "Whew, everything's all right now" scene just before the climactic sequence, and a reappearance by a supposedly-dead character who saves the day, and you're looking at a compiled history of bad horror from the last thirty years or so.

On top of all that, the script contains large doses of dumb of the sort that makes you lose all respect for the characters involved. For instance, the ghost hunters get the bright idea that reburying the desecrated dead in new graves will stop the haunting. Reburying them in sacks, in shallow graves in unconsecrated ground, with only some lip service paid to proper burial ceremony. Yeah, that'll work.

All in all, not what I was expecting. If you're in the mood for a little cinemasochism, it's a fun ride with plenty to ridicule, but if you're looking for a "film to die for," this ain't it.

Meh, thats about all you can say.

Author: nhart189 from United States
3 April 2007

This movie was OK. Nothing ground breaking and nothing that hasn't been done before. After you see the movie, your first thoughts turn to The Poltergeist. The acting in this movie was awful, of course it is a horror movie so acting is never a high point of the film. I must say some of the effects were impressive. The coolest part of the flick is the ghosts faces, very eerie. A couple of parts did make my girlfriend jump. So far I have seen the Abandoned and this flick out of the eight films to die for. Hopefully, the next will be better. Anyone have any recommendations on which I should see next? These movies so far are not that gory and or offensive, Lionsgate did pull a good marketing campaign advertising these 8 movies as "too grotesque."

Hollywood

Author: josh-greeb from United States
19 November 2006

Let me tell you, this movie had every nightmare that any child would have. This had everything and all the special effects and details made this movie work. I don't usually rate movies, but i must rate this one a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale. So that means I'm giving it its best possible vote. Why? Because it is fascinating, eerie, anticipating, gory, and simply not a Hollywood major budget production which makes for a great surprise.

This film really works. Most horror films are laughable, boring, or just plain dumb. Who would think that an indie film could have so many great scares? There aren't any cheap gimmicks to make you jump out of your seat like 2 friends accidentally bumping into each other. Which must be a prerequisite for most Horror films. A perfect example of the difference between this scarefest and anything else on the video shelves is the typical..."I can't get my car to start all of a sudden when I really need it too!" This film is smarter then that. Instead it builds up tension, and we are going for a ride.

Surprisingly stupid and not that frightening.

Author: Charlesc-5 from United States
17 February 2007

I was AMAZED at how BAD this was. I'm not talking about the usual horror movie criticisms. This was POORLY CRAFTED.

One of the MANY movie Gravedancers TRIES to rip off is the very successful Grudge. While the plot of The Grudge was thin and illogical, it was well crafted enough to deliver a scary, jolting, yell-out-loud thrill ride. My experience, however, was that The Grudge didn't hold up to a second viewing.

Gravedancers didn't stand up to my FIRST viewing. I stopped after an hour.

While Gravedancers manages to be thin and illogical, it is also stupid, poorly / over acted and derivative. It borrows so much from other films it's almost like watching a 'straight' version of one of the "Scary Movie" comedies.

But Gravedancers commits the worse crime of all. It's BORING.

Oh, and don't expect gory / creative deaths to be in the works. Really, there is NOTHING here for what I could think to be the target audience. (don't expect the otherwise delicious Josie Maran to be seen in her underwear) Seriously, many episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which you may recognize Clare Kramer from) were more intense, and certainly more entertaining.

If you can't do better than a TV show, IMO, you should even try.

Gravedancers

Author: bstar_98 from United States
19 November 2006

The only thing scarier than the acting was the script. It would have been best to bill it as a comedy. In that respect, yes, it was good. There was cool makeup artistry. There were even a few really creepy scenes. However, it just wasn't enough for me to not want my money back. Josie Moran should just stick to modeling. I cringed as her scenes got more demanding. Dominic Purcell was dreadful. Shame on him for not even trying to be more than a pretty boy. The other characters were just silly except for maybe the wife. The dialogue was lame. I'm not sure why this was part of the HorrorFest, but I was thoroughly disappointed with After Dark pictures and will be skeptical of any future releases.

Terrible premise

Author: dungeoncreature5 from United States
13 May 2007

When I first read the summary for this movie it seemed like it could be good. I was wrong.

Where should I start? First off, this movie should have never been made because the premise is just ridiculous. Because you dance and party by a grave you are going to incur the wrath of the spirit? Whatever, and then all of the towns crazy people happen to be buried in the same section of the graveyard? Ridiculous.

All in all this is a bad movie because it is a bad script. The acting is fine, and I even like some of the actors(except you french ghost hunter from Wing Commander), but the flashbacks of the murders are about the only interesting thing that happens. All in all I am trying to figure out why someone would spend millions of dollars on a script and concept that just hold up or make any sense even if it is just a movie.

Page 12 of 13: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]