IMDb > Whisper (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Solid movie

Author: Noelito40 from Bogota, Colombia
13 November 2007

Saw this yesterday, knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand so no preconceptions. Also I have never watched either Lost or Prison Break so hadn't a clue who the leads were, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Solid acting, (the kid doesn't come across as a precocious brat, and the leads don't do too much chewing of scenery) a good story that is well paced, and despite the obvious Omen parallels, it was pretty original all the same. I was a bit surprised to see that it never really got a break at the box office, it deserves better.

It also reminded me of another film that I caught a few years ago, again I knew nothing about it beforehand and it turned out to be pretty good, the pic was Frailty (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/,) which I'd recommend to anyone who liked Whisper...

A movie which it's worth it

Author: Stef from Romania
9 November 2007

This is a movie that you start to see it like a movie at Friday night, maybe even a cheap horror, but in conclusion it's established to be a good movie, not a cheap horror as you think at beginning. It prove to worth all the time you've spend to watch it. The good acting of Josh Holloway (known as Sawyer from Lost), Sarah Wayne Callies (known as Dr. Sara Tancredi from Prison Break) and the talented child Blake Woodruff, is make you feel good with this movie, only in case when you want to see a good thriller-horror movie. It has an interesting subject with a very well constructive story, almost like The Omen (2006), only better, and you'll discover that this movie doesn't have good or bad characters, only good or bad choices and strength of choose. Enjoy this movie! It's worth all the money.

A nice surprise

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
1 December 2007

In the horror genre,the sub-genus about evil children is not as popular as the slasher or the films about haunted houses,but,usually,it falls on clichés.Also,we have to add that,usually,we see a young actor who does not produce fear so,almost all the times,the result is a crap.But Whisper does not have that things because it is fun and it generates suspense thanks to its ingenious premise.Director Stewart Hendler shows us the story in a credible way and the movie produces more suspense than horror.I also appreciated the film does not have the MTV camera tricks.Josh Holloway has enough charisma in his leading role.The young actor Blake Woodruff makes a pretty fine performance.The complaining I have against this movie is that the film lacks of blood which would have made more credible the various deaths the movie shows.Whisper is not a great horror movie but it could keep me very entertained and tense.A nice surprise.

The Evil Soul Collector

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 July 2008

After being released from prison, Max (Josh Holloway) and his fiancée Roxanne (Sarah Wayne Callies) wish to have a fresh restart of their lives running a small dining of their own. However, the bank refuses to loan US$ 50,000.00 to them and without alternatives, Max accepts the invitation of his former partner Sydney (Michael Rooker) and his associate Vince (Joel Edgerton) to participate in the kidnapping of the eight year old David (Blake Woodruff), the son of a wealthy woman in New England, under the command of a mysterious leader. The quartet drives with the boy to a camping area in Maine, closed in the cold winter, where they are individually disturbed by whispers that affects their behaviors until Max discloses the dark secret about David and his mother.

"Whisper" is a very effective horror movie that scares without explicit violence or gore. The association of the fallen angel David and the Antichrist Damien from "The Omen" is quite immediate, but the creepy story is engaging and developed in a suitable pace. The young actor Blake Woodruff has a top-notch performance in the role of the evil soul collector and the acting and direction are solid. The twist with the identity of the leader of the kidnappers is a great unpredictable plot point. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Reféns do Mal" ("Hostages of the Evil")

Change

Author: Gergely Brautigam from Hungary
30 September 2007

This film was something else for a change. I must agree with the previous commentator that this film contained no bad or good characters. The play was very intense and was refreshingly something new. I could not tell every moment what would happen and to be honest this film lied very near to a book i just read called the Inner phantom. With in every an each person there is something bad, or something that he or she hides. Every and each person has a dark side she or he fears. He has it in him, and sometimes it can get out. And by others it is stronger they kill. Others it sleeps and sometimes it awakes and they cheat on her / his boy / girlfriend or lie.. This film is very near this conception and i must say i was thrilled to the last moment. Watch this film if you want to see something good and else for a change...

Surprising

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
27 January 2008

WHISPER is a classy cross between THE STAND and THE OMEN, with touches of Dean Koontz throughout. Some lowlifes kidnap a young boy and spirit him off to a cabin deep in the Maine woods. Problem is, the kid isn't what he seems and pretty soon people are dying. The cinematography is terrific and moody, and a scary-looking wolf or dog-wolf at the boy's command adds to the suspense. For a TV movie, WHISPER comes across pretty well, even with its distinct lack of blood and gore. The closest to a name star appearing in this tidy little thriller is big-screen favorite Michael Rooker, but he is in and out of the movie pretty quickly. A scene halfway through, set on the ice of a nearby lake, appears to be a straightforward homage to a similar scene in THE OMEN. It is also the best scene in this TV movie.

Good enough not to be a "bed-time" movie.

Author: Michal Poniedzielski from Poland
1 February 2009

If you too like to watch a movie just for a bed-time story you know the kind - it can't be complete crap, because you won't get into the story in the first minutes, but can't be too good too, 'cause you won't fall asleep during the rest of it. Magic category. And not so numerous as it looks like. "Whisper" seemed to fit, but - surprise - it doesn't.

A quite good Ransom-Omen-Shining mix story provides actors some good dialogues to play and apart from few flaws it holds the level. Solid, creative directing (which could be even better if wasn't so "present", so "hey!-this-cut-was-a-director's-idea!") draws the tension properly. Convincing acting, without embarrassing moments (especially the kid earns respect) and very good dark music harmonized with cinematography in few mood-building panoramas (don't know why I remembered this) complete the work - WE HAVE A GOOD MOVIE HERE (and we can't sleep).

Good movie! Could almost be a sequel to the 2006 Omen remake

Author: reeves2002 from Canada
2 December 2007

I saw a trailer for this movie months before it's DVD release and remember reading stuff about it but not knowing all the details so I couldn't wait to see it.It would have been nice to have caught it in theater's for it's limited release.The original movie poster for "whisper" was nice, with a picture of a house behind trees and David sitting in the snow beside a dead and bloody crow with a caption "the devil's work is child's play".I really liked that original poster for the movie and hoped it would be the cover for the DVD as well.But instead we get a cheap looking cover with a new caption.For the DVD they should have gone with the alternate title "Hellion" instead which would be appropriate for this new cover art and the movie. As for the movie itself,I liked it and it was better then I thought it would be.It has good solid acting and an original idea.It would have made a great Omen sequel since Damien was orphaned at the end and he would have gone to another family anyway and raised hell! His name could have been changed after his adoption.....But Whisper is is a good movie on it's own.And after seeing it I understand the title of the movie.Before I watched it I had an idea about the plot.I knew a young boy was kidnapped and was held hostage by 4 kidnappers and unknown to them the boy wasn't as innocent as they thought.He had a way of tapping into their minds and turning them against one another.I anxiously wanted to see it to see how an 8 year old could outsmart them.I started thinking about another movie I saw called "hard candy" where a young conniving girl managed to use her mind to turn against the pedophile she was stalking. Well after watching it I realized they were 2 completely different movies and that "Whisper" was more like the Omen and that David was actually something from Hell.Well indeed he did get even with the ones that kidnapped him and hatched a diabolical plan to carefully destroy them one by one! I think one of the reasons this movie works is because of the evil background music and seriousness of it rather than being b-rated or movie of the week like.Blake Woodruff did a very good and convincing portrayal of this not so innocent boy. The one problem I had was the beginning seemed rushed and there was a very quick line about David's father dying and him being adopted and all of his nannies dying mysteriously.This was quite confusing because it doesn't really explain where he came from and how he became what he was.At least in the Omen there is a back story and Damien had an origin, but with David it's a mystery.I think this could have been explored better.And after seeing the alternate ending,I have to say I prefer it better because you can't kill that type of evil.How can an ordinary guy like Max(Josh Holloway)defeat David's powers so easily where his associates couldn't! Whoever decided on the ending was wrong.The alternate ending is more satisfying and just fits better with the whole story.And another thing to,those extended scenes were better and more detailed & the first 2 deleted scenes should have stayed in the movie also for continuity and to make things a little less confusing.It is a shame that there isn't an option on a DVD to add the extended & deleted scenes back into the movie,and pick the ending you prefer.I really like this movie but felt nothing should have been cut out,and the alternate ending should have been used!

Updated Version of a Classic Thriller!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
27 January 2008

The cast is largely unknown at least to me but they do a superb and unforgettable job bringing this story to life about a kidnapping that goes horribly wrong from the first instant. The three kidnappers, two men and a woman who are somewhat a love triangle, kidnap an eight year old boy named David SAnborn but not just any eight year old boy. David acts bizarre, drawing disturbing images, whispering evil into their ears, and creating a sense of fear among his own kidnappers. The tragedy is what happens to the kidnappers who don't deserve their fate. David is like Damien from the Omen but we're not really sure if he is the angel or demon or son of the Devil but he does act like one. The film is a good thriller but leaves some flaws in it. I kind of liked the film overall.

Better Than I Had Expected

Author: rube2424 from New York, USA
30 January 2008

Cross THE OMEN with THE SHINING and add a great dollop of "The Ransom of Red Chief", and you get WHISPER, a slick, "better than I had expected", horror flick. The cinematography is beautiful and the direction fluid and sure. The acting is good with a standout, scene stealing, turn by Joel Edgerton, someone I had never heard of before, but whose films I will now seek out. There are lots of wolves with glowing eyes, the usual "jump out at you" scenes,"and a really creepy child actor, and even with an overlong screenplay, somehow the whole project comes together nicely. (I guessed who the main kidnapper was pretty quick, but the reveal still held a couple of good shocks.) Look, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO it ain't, but for a fun night around a bowl of popcorn you could do worse. 7 out of 10!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]