IMDb > Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys More at IMDbPro »

Pokemon's new Genearation

Author: pckouji from Hong Kong
23 February 2005

Actually, the storyline of this movie is simple to understand. Somethings are surprise, such as the twins Deoxys and the newest Pokemon - Gobigon, which love eating very much. This Pokemon's appearance, means the new generation of Pokemon is coming.

It is also the longest movie of Pokemon's history. In old Pokemon movies, usually it took seventy minutes and have a short special episodes for kids. For this movie, it does not have any short special episodes. That's why it takes one hour and forty minutes long.

The drawing quality of this movie is also improved - with lots of 3D graphic - especially in Battle Towers.

The sound effect is good, especially the ending music - Lovely Boy. It is the first happy ending song in Pokemon movie. Maybe because of it has a happy ending, unlike other movies.

In Japan, it is the forth popular animation movie, four hundreds and twenty million dollars of tickets sold out, and sold number of its DVD in the first week reached 30,000, the second high number in Japan.

Finally we talk back about the name. I don't think that Destiny Deoxys is not a good name. At least I can't find anything related to Deoxys' destiny. For me, I think the original Japanese name "Polar Night Visitor" is better, as the movie ended with polar night.

Movie 7 with a BiG BanG!

Author: Andthevictoris from United States
22 January 2005

I found this movie and movie number six (Wish Maker Jirachi) way different than the other pokemon movies. They were kind of more mature. Anyway, this movie was really good and I just watched it today on Kidswb. I think what really made this a good movie was the fact that it had featured pokemon from outer space, which was interesting and brings a whole new world to Pokemon. I recommend this movie because its feature length, It has two really strong pokemon in it, one secret pokemon that has something to do with snorlax, and its a lot of fun to watch. The only faulty thing I didn't like about it was that it lacked good popular music like the other four before pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker. I think good rock songs would have made it earn the true title as a Pokemon Movie.

top poke movie

Author: gandalf_a_1999 from Australia
2 September 2006

This movie was the type of pokemon movie I always wanted to see. A lot of fun. I was hooked from the first battle scene. After all the previous ones I've seen (havent seen 3 & 4 yet) this one I found the best.

I like the intro to these movies as they give a brief explanation of pokemon, this movie showed a few scenes from the previous movies.

The starting fight between the alien poke and the earth one was cool, showing off the aliens strength for a little while.

I liked the few scenes just with poke doing amusing things with feelgood background music.

Ash is the focus of course, a few new characters and poke are introduced, and its good to see Tory make friends with those plus and minus pokemon.

After the end you see everyone board a train and go their separate ways which ended it nicely.

Really enjoyable movie in the hi tech city.

Pokemon has done it again!

Author: sportmaster032000 from United States
4 February 2005

This is great! Thanks to computer graphics and animations, this movie appeared on TV. Just like every Pokemon movies, Miramax Films made this movie associated with Kids WB! or 4 Kids Entertainment. But this time, the distributors are Walt Disney Pictures instead of Kids WB!. This surprised me, however, but different distributors has different ideas on the movie that they'll make. This is ab assumption, but it could be a fact.... Anyway, it's great to see a movie with different distributors with different ideas. Once again, thank you Pokemon for creating your 7th movie. I'm sorry that it's not as great as the 6th one (which was my most favorite one), but you'll do better. I trust you. Besides, every character has to play some role in every movies.

A step up, but not great.

Author: mahatmarandy from Newport Nohwere, Florida
23 January 2005

Pokemon movies tend to be rather hit and miss. This one is one of the better ones. It's not truly compelling, like the 2nd movie, but it's an improvement on "Pokemon Heroes" and a vast step up from last year's "Jirachi, the Wish Maker".

Production design in the film is pretty impressive, and the city scenes are reminiscent of those old futuristic movies we were always seeing in 50s science fiction movies. Watching the backdrops is still more fun than watching the plot in this movie, but it's not awful.

There's one really neat scene of the 'block robots' using their own bodies to build a bridge to evacuate the city's civilians which is visually impressive.

A great Pokemon movie starring a mysterious alien visitor.

Author: kevinxirau from United States
18 October 2011

Definitely one of the better Pokemon movies, Destiny Deoxys goes a little beyond the usual adventures Ash and the gang partake in by bringing in a Pokemon unlike anything that has ever existed in this world.

Plot: A meteorite crashes into the North Pole near a research team's base. Out of the crater comes Deoxys, an alien Pokemon with extraordinary powers, who is suddenly attacked and defeated by the fiercely territorial legendary Pokemon Rayquasa. A few years later, Ash, Pikachu, May, Max, and Brock arrive at the high tech Larousse City to enter a special tournament the battle pyramid. Here, the gang meet many new friends, one of them a boy named Tory who is mostly afraid of Pokemon thanks to a traumatic experience he had back at the North Pole. Soon enough, Deoxys, having fully regenerated, arrives and causes mischief as he searches for something while getting rid of anyone who gets in its way. With Rayquaza once again hot on the alien's trail, Ash and company must find a way to end the madness before it's too late.

The antics are raised in this movie as well as the stakes. The action scenes are more intense then usual compared to many other Pokemon flicks with a lot of great moments. All the characters are interesting, especially Tory who goes through a lot of character development. The story is pretty interesting and Deoxys is a fascinating character. With an expressionless face, an eerie voice that I could hear all day, and amazing powers, this alien is truly one of a kind. Rayquaza, on the other hand, is an awesome beast, undeniably powerful and just looks really cool.

This is a welcome edition to the Pokemon franchise. Definitely check it out. Gotta catch em' all!

The Best Poke'mon Movie Ever

Author: pippinstwin from Missouri, United States
19 November 2007

This poke'mon movie is my favorite by far. It scores at the top across the board: great story, great battles, great music, great characters, and great new villains : Deoxys and Rayqueza. The opening fight between Deoxys and Rayqueza always reminds me of Godzilla, my other favorite Japanese export. Deoxy's infiltration of the city is impressive, as is its multiplication scene. This movie is one of the darker movies of the series, hearkening back to Mewtwo Strikes Back and setting the tone for the next series, Battle Frontier, and would be a good watch even for someone who doesn't like Poke'mon or anime'. All in all, top notch, an improvement over the previous Jirachi the Wishmaker, also a much more mature story. The battle at the end between the two Deoxys and Rayqueza while Ash tries to shut down the security droids is very suspenseful. Top notch!

Far superior to the original -- but still not good

Author: vulpix from Lincoln, NE
23 January 2005

After suffering through the cinematic travesty that is Pokemon: The First Movie, I made sure to avoid the following four sequels, as did most viewers who were as repelled by the first installment as I was. Some five years later, I noticed Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys make its U.S. debut on the WB network, and I was curious as to whether or not this particular installment would be any better than its original predecessor. It was--not that that's saying much.

In the film's opening, we are introduced to a young boy named Tory. His father, a professor, gathers data on several ice pokemon in an arctic continent with the aid of his assistant. Young Tory enjoys playing with the pokemon until the group is interrupted by a pair of monstrous aerial pokemon: Rayquaza and Deoxys, who are apparently in a battle to the death just above them. Chaos ensues; all of the professor's equipment is destroyed, and Tory cowers in fear as a stampede of ice pokemon flee directly in his path, nearly trampling the boy. This brief scene sets the mood for the action that is to follow--in a year that takes place four years after the incident. We see real drama and character development (particularly in Tory, who works to overcome his fear of Pokemon), both of which were entirely absent in the first Pokemon movie.

We see significant improvements, too, in the visual quality of the film. Unlike Pokemon: The First Movie, Destiny Deoxys contains several visually stunning scenes--similar to scenes you'll find in other popular anime features such as Princess Mononoke. CGI, for the most part, is incorporated seamlessly with traditional animation.

Despite these strides, there are several moments throughout the film that simply do not work, including the film's many attempts at humor. Amorous Brock, for example, becomes infatuated with the first girl he sees as he enters a new town--a tired routine that has been done time and time again in the TV series (as well as the first movie). In the middle of the movie, there is an excruciating musical montage in which the main characters' pokemon begin laughing and dancing goofily for no apparent reason. Even the film's climax feels drawn out; after a while, I just wanted it to end.

Pokemon fans will probably enjoy this. Non-fans may find it watchable.

A Movie Not Even Worth Theaters!

Author: OtakuMegan from United States
22 January 2005

Well, this movie, in summation, is another 1 hour waste of my time. The movie had absolutely no guidelines, and starts out in total confusion. The ninth movie in the series follows a Pokemon named Deoxys. Supposedly, it is from outer space and comes to earth looking for its friend. Of course, it has to kill or capture every single thing in its way. The infamous Team Rocket is also in this, but their role is very minute and does not have any purpose. They are captured in the beginning and spend the entirety of the film in a prison. May, the fill-in for Misty has a admirer named Sid, who obviously, she does not like "that way". Ash goes to this Battle Tower and meets a child named Tory, who has a fear of Pokemon due to prior experiences. They are teamed up in a double duel and lose which causes Ash to become upset and Tory to run away. This movie is no different than any of the others. They all involved a gigantic Pokemon set on destroying the world, when in fact they have "good" intentions. Shoot me.