IMDb > "Gantz" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gantz"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Gantz" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

An urgent, relevant deep anime...if you bother to look closer... *SPOILERS*

Author: mig81 from Calgary, Canada
4 March 2005

It really pisses me off how people put down the anime-Gantz for either not living up to the manga (which I have not read, but I'll address that), being "cheapened" in the second season, or having an ambiguous ending.

If Gantz wasn't an anime but a "conceptual animated film" or had some other such pseudo-intellectual label, it would not be accessible and it would not have a means to convey its message. However, having taken a genre of the anime (worse yet, the action-anime or monster/alien-anime), it now creates expectations in its audience. I'm not saying this freed the anime from fulfilling them, but I am simply trying to explain what I like about Gantz and why there is much more than meets the eye to this anime, one of the most amazing ones I have seen to date.

For one thing, Gantz made me feel uncomfortable, really uncomfortable; from the first subway scene to every single confrontation and altercation between the "old timers" and "newcomers" to Gantz, their internal struggles and external expression. Didn't it strike anyone as particularly strange that we, as audience, *expected* every character to take up a gun with a purpose and start killing the aliens right away? Therein lies the genius of the "alien" labelling, especially beautifully played out in the last, ironic hunt and hinted at at the Buddha hunt, when the statues suggest they are not what they seem, before they are killed.

Yes, Gantz made me feel very uncomfortable but I just couldn't look away, because, whether I liked it or not, the creators of the anime had the definition of the human being pinned down to a tee. In that context, is the so-called "ambiguous" or "cop-out" ending really so unexpected and unreasonable? After all, nothing *really* happens for a reason on Gantz! There is no reason that Kei suddenly changes his mind and tries to help Katou to save the homeless man; there is no reason that Kei changes to acquire an incredibly high personal integrity and sense of self-sacrifice by the end of the anime; finally, the disappearing of the Gantz sphere has no reason. Again - why is that so surprising? Is that not exactly what life is all about - making choices based on given conditions? Did we not, as an audience expect, nay, *thirst* for a reason, never getting it, never consoled by happy endings, each death following the iron rules of the universe, each action *final*? Does this sound familiar? If so, it's because you're already living by these rules. We are afraid of clichés, deathly afraid, because to accept that life itself is a tired, repeated cliché would be to admit that all the social constructs that we have are paper-thin and subjective (think of the ending of Jacob's Ladder, for instance, or Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence over Owl Creek Bridge).

There another aspect of the anime which really impressed me. Amidst making such statements, the anime did not *preach*, as Eva or GiTS or GiTS:SAC often do (don't get me wrong, I love those animes, they're just not as *real* as Gantz); as an audience, we were not guilted (if anything, any possible guilt would be a product of our own interactions with the anime), we were not fed some high-and-mighty existential lines, but simply presented with something which just *happened*. That's why the subway station, Kei's "perversity" (which is not really *that* weird; come on, he is 16, I think; I'm sure have of us have fantasized or done even weirder things at that age), the various gangs and the homeless hunters and Kei's sex with the book woman - are all *real*. The makers of the anime did not white-wash Japan, as it often is - as a place of sugoi tech toys and kawaii schoolgirls, but showed it just as any other place, not to shock or tittilate (and I'll get to that), but to simply show things as they *are*; it's funny, then, that, since that is done so rarely, how taken aback we are as an audience, how much of a difficult time we had letting go of preconceived notions of genre, characterisation and plot to understand the makers of this anime.

Now, to address the criticism of "cheapening" or "low-budget". The human psyche is not binary, though we would often like to believe that; more often than otherwise, we like to accept things in very clear categories, such as "art" or "commercial product"; what we are often forgetting, however, that it can be *both*. Now, you can be cynical and say that it's just some studio suits who sign away the manga artist's rights and produce a chewy, easy-to-swallow anime that doesn't *nearly* live up to the original artwork - and I agree. But it takes some skill to do so; and I refuse to believe that a person with nothing but profit on their mind could sit down and produce something as ingenious (that scene before the last hunt when everyone imagines Kei as their enemy, for instance) without a spark of creativity or inspiration.

Yes, sex in the anime, violence in the anime, doubtlessly made it attractive; one could even argue that the makers of the anime are making a statement based on how we are drawn in by our own nature and then repelled by it. In the end, there is nothing that cannot make Gantz both a great work of art and a great financial success.

This is why I believe Gantz is a perfect standalone work, regardless of how great the manga was. You don't have to agree with my analysis, but I just hope that it could lead people to reexamine their initial approach to this amazing anime. See you in the room. ;)

Not a great series, but has some shining moments

Author: fuzzy_wunz from New York, NY
25 May 2005

The Gantz anime series is an amalgamation of events that occurred in the first few volumes of the manga. It's an introduction to the Gantz universe and its inhabitants--most notably, the aliens and their human hunters. Like the manga, the anime centers around the growth and emergence of Kurono (Chrono) as a hero and his effort to win and survive at all costs. There's a good deal of sex and violence as well as long stretches of philosophical banter and social critique, but it often comes across as being so self-righteous and ultimately defeatist that most messages would only be appealing to audiences that already had the same beliefs.

The artwork is dark and is true to Oru Hiroya's concepts down to the intricately detailed weapons and power suits. The characters range from the sexually eager and aggressive Kurono, to the gallant Katou, to the buxom Kishimoto. The animation is mostly satisfying. Since Hiroya's artwork uses 3d models for scale and proportion, they can seem stiff and often lack fluidity. That same flaw is evident in the anime as well.

The story is intriguing, at the least, and seems to be inspired by movies such as The Cube. The sci-fi aspects are cool and even I would like to run around in a power suit for a day or two.

Altogether, it has some great ingredients that are marred by plodding progression and preachy characters. The fan-service is there, though not to an excess, but this is certainly not for children or those that are easily offended by violence, gore, or opinions diametrically opposed to your own. It's definitely worth watching and depending on who you are, you might just like it a lot.

Gantz is a nice addition in a time of predictable anime.

Author: anissueofblood from United States
30 August 2006

Gantz actually got my adrenaline pumping throughout the series and in effect almost made me feel like breaking in the television screen at some points. It kind of gave me that same feeling that GunGrave did. You feel for the characters that you do not even know just for the sake of wanting him/her to survive Gantz evil game. The series is quirky in the beginning and later on turns disdainful on the viewer. I started to feel hopeless towards the end and although I wanted the best to happen for everyone that's not what necessarily happened. If you plan on watching this then plan on watching cool action scenes that feel like they came straight out of a video game and non-stop violence. Yes, there is much graphic violence and sexual content on this one, but if you are old enough then try to endure it for the sake of enjoying an action packed anime. The only thing that got me kind of mad ws how the characters took forever to actually shoot a villain/alien/evil human. Inside my mind I was like, "Come on already!!!! Don't get yourself killed!" Check this out. I dug it.

A Fantastic Piece of Anime. It Has It All.

Author: Chrispy_G from United States
26 May 2012

I don't like to use the word 'masterpiece'...but it wouldn't be an insane adjective to use to describe Gantz. This is one of the best all around anime I've ever seen.

It has an extremely interesting and rather unique concept that is thoroughly explored and discussed through the characters. It has the surface level 'low brow' entertainment like extreme amounts of violence and a pretty hefty amount of nudity. It does an excellent job of going against the typical story clichés. Moments of character empowerment are shot down in the flash, people who seem like throwaway characters come back later, and none of the characters are safe from harm.

Speaking of the characters, they are very dynamic and what makes this show last. Good guy heroes often come off as cowardly, douchebags save the day, etc etc. The characters also come across plenty of moral dilemmas and have plenty of discussions about the nature of society.

Some say they hate the ending, or that it is confusing. I don't see why, if you just pay attention a little bit to the visuals and how the fundamentals of the whole thing works...it's quite clear. Yes, there are some things that aren't fully explained...but the end result, what happens to our hero(and/or heroes) is quite clear.

In conclusion, it's an anime with a great concept, great characters to explore it, great animation, a ton of violence, plenty of nudity, a decent amount of action and some good social commentary. Regardless of the manga, if you've read it or what you think of it, Gantz is a fantastic stand alone anime...and I think I'd prefer THAT to a seemingly endless story.

What can i say?.....AMAZING!!!

Author: krispenno from United Kingdom
10 July 2006

I cant get over the great expectation of this underrated show, i believe it is to be told a bad adaptation from the Manga, i did not think so myself having read the manga and then watched the show, i was fairly impressed and i think its time this show got a good review because it freakin' deserves one, the first thing i realised about this show is the amount of realism in the characters, The Lead character Kei Kurono: hes a perverted teen who thinks about nothing but girls, and doesn't want to help anybody, and has a huge level of arrogance and in the first episode is hit by a train along with his friend after they try to help a homelessman whom has fallen on the tracks. next, Masuro Kato: always wants to help people, always thinks he is doing the right thing, and in the end gets whats coming to him also hit by a train, Kei Kishimoto: the female of the story commits suicide in the bathtub, does nothing but whine and does nothing about it and last but not least Joichiro Nishi: killed himself by jumping off his school rooftop, and i only have one thing to say about this guy...hes the best. and in the end each of the main characters (well the ones who are still left) have learned how to be good human beings

Interesting premise, but overrated.

Author: taemujin from United States
27 December 2009

Average rating 7-8? Just proves most anime watchers are just closet perverts who are obsessed with Japanese culture.

I enjoyed the first and last episode, but everything in between was bland and actually pretty terrible.

Throughout the entire anime, I was wondering, "WHY DON'T THEY JUST SHOOT THE DAMN ALIENS?" They are teleported to some surreal purgatory like place and see people close to them dying left and right in horrible ways (getting torn apart, mauled, etc.), yet they sit there just to get killed time and time again. It seems that the creator is an egotistical pervert who thinks society is corrupt and tries to make a point that people will go above and beyond themselves to save people they don't even know. He/she completely ignores the fact that natural human instinct is for survival. Saint-like people do in fact exist in this world, but you would never see so many in such a small group of people. Perhaps the creator says that is how he would act... please. I will say it again, the creator is a self righteous/egotistical pervert who created this anime to indulge his own alien like fantasies.

Sorry, but this anime is terribly overrated and a waste of time. If you are some pervert who enjoys hentai, gore, and the like then please watch this and give it another 7-8 rating. However, if you actually enjoy a story that was well thought out (meaning LESS PLOT FAILURES and actually acknowledging human nature) then just skip it. The only reason I give it a 3 rating is because the artistry was pretty good.

A new level to the Japanese animation ?

Author: Bob Bill from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 April 2006

When i was thinking that a great part of the animes were looking similar, i watched this one with no great expectations.I got surprised with the realism of the characters' actions. OK the history is NOT the most incredible that i've seen in my life but that's not the point in this anime. Maybe some will think it's shocking,too violent or will not like the strong language etc... However this was the way to show each characters actions and feelings in the worst situations. This anime is great because it is really innovative and explores the characters like no other. There's taboo, so anything can happen anytime, always letting you surprised . If you're bored of the old story of the princess and the magic world and the magic sword and the magic... GANTZ is VERY recommended.

A gripping if somewhat gory drama

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
26 February 2014

This infamously gory series opens with teenagers Kei Kurono and Masaru Kato being struck by a train while rescuing a homeless man who had fallen from the platform. Rather than dying they find themselves in a room along with other people who have just 'died' also present is a strange black sphere. Suddenly the sphere opens and an array of weapons appears and when they look inside they see a strange man. One of the people already there explains that this is 'Gantz' and he will send them on a variety of missions. It turns out that they will all be sent out to hunt down a variety of aliens using futuristic weapons. At the end of each hunt the survivors return to the room, any injury they sustained healed. They are then free to get on with their lives… until Gantz summons them for the next hunt along was new players. When they aren't hunting aliens we see Kurono, Kato and a girl named Kei Kishimoto who stays with Kurono but has obvious feelings for Kato.

'Gantz' has a reputation for fairly extreme violence and for quite a lot of nudity. It doesn't have as much violence as show like 'Elfen Lied' but the violence here feels far more real. This is largely due to the character design which is more realistic than many shows and plenty of time is given to their development. For the most part the 3D CGI backgrounds looked great most of the time although occasionally it doesn't quite come up to scratch. There is quite a bit of nudity although it felt deliberately uncomfortable rather than the usual fan service.

The episodes featuring missions are nicely action packed with plenty of exciting moments… even if characters have a habit of talking when they should be shooting at times! These missions take place in real time so a one hour mission takes two and a bit episodes. The between mission episodes show us the characters normal lives so we grow to care about them… or possibly get annoyed by them! If you are the sort of person who wants everything explained by the end you may be disappointed but if you don't mind some major points remaining a mystery you are likely to enjoy this; I certainly did. Overall I'd certainly recommend this but only to older viewers; it is certainly not a show for children.

It's fantastic, but had potential to be up with the greats.

Author: Calscapes from United Kingdom
20 December 2012

Gantz, a wonderful anime which uncovers new great places in Horror and Sci-Fi to thrive in respectively. I highly recommend you watch it, or rather read the Japanese book version, too get your own personal feel of it. I say this because I imagine everyone will get a TOTALLY different view of this. Why? Because it's based mostly on 'morality' and how long can you cope before you smash your TV. I found myself getting so angry because of all the standing around. What could have been a solid 10/10 or at least 9.5/10, is wasted on the anime not (to put it simply) cutting the sh*t. A lot of the episodes feel like around 50% filler to reveal certain information like the targets, deaths, dangers etc. I felt like putting all the episodes into some program and cutting them down so it would redeem itself. The slow nature of Gantz does occasionally suit its storyline, for example; to raise tension, to raise panic, and to calm the storm. But most of the time, it's agonising. Don't let this give you the impression that it's a badly put together anime, that just is it's weak point. The characters are spot on, although some are annoying they are thankfully minor characters who die quickly. Kei and Kato are from the get go, believable and great characters, showing a full range of problems and individual characterisation. Kei's obsession with large breasts adds a realistic touch to the anime but not so much that it is the main focus, showing that he IS a real human being, even after seemingly getting his head ripped off. Kato's caring nature and violent out-spurts show the struggle to try and keep control over everything precious to him. Another problem I found with Gantz was that it partially felt like it didn't care for it's viewers too much. Nishi, was an interesting rival (or so I think) and character to manipulate and carry the story along. But the anime seems to be like bad side of 'Game of Thrones', they killed off nearly all of the likable or interesting characters early on, almost to the point of me not caring who lives or dies. Again, don't get me wrong Gantz's story and setting is unique, how people can be so harsh and oblivious, it raises many philosophical questions, such as; 'Kill or be killed', that other anime's or Japanese book version's are afraid to stutter. The dark and gritty side to Gantz is arguably the greatest parts, and at times it failed to recognise that the focus is not so much paranoia but the 'thrilling' atmosphere, that no one knows about. I could sing it's praises all day, but it just misses occasionally. Especially the ending which turned into Gantz realising it's number of episodes was running out and rushing everything, to the point where Gantz killed itself. So, if it weren't for the grey alien inside the Gantz awakening, this would be most definitely a solid 9/10 with a bit more correcting. But otherwise, 8/10.

Could have been far, far better...but still worth watching...

Author: npvbrukout from United Kingdom
15 July 2008

The first Season of Gantz, and indeed most of the second, was really quite a good watch. In fact it was pretty amazing. If it had carried on in that way then it could quite easily have been one of the better anime series by far.

Unfortunately, towards the end of the second season (after the episode with the statue) the last few episodes get pretty tedious and I was left feeling hard done by. Over a course of 22 episodes they build up characters that are annoying at times but gradually become really likable. It was an odd feeling to see all the members pair off into couples and consider it to be not only cute but well done. The last mission they are all sent on (involving the statues)was good up until all but one of the members of the original group dies. The only characters that weren't annoying are all killed off in the space of 10 minutes by the same alien.

Generally after this it becomes very, very bad. Although I feel the main reason for my disappointment was due to the likable characters (that took around 9 or 10 episodes to get used to and like) dying right near the end, and being replaced with some really quite annoying characters.

Combine this with a lack of plot; half baked/arsed philosophical rants; and an air of confusion (based upon the characters themselves not knowing what is going on and having to use them to try and establish what is going on) and you are left feeling a little disappointed. Not finding out what Gantz is didn't bother me at all. The way Gantz in it's later episodes was going I really wasn't expecting any kind of remotely enlightening information. However, the final straw to break the donkey's back was not even knowing what happened to Kurono, or equally as annoying; why in the final episode.

To be brutally honest if you are going to watch this series you can quite easily get away with watching up until episode 22...then just turn it off. It will only go downhill after, and leave you with more questions and ultimately feeling as if you wasted your time. Only a little though.

Oh and way, way, way, way too many flashbacks. All of the same ****ing things.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]