IMDb > "Gantz" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gantz"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Gantz" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Not a great series, but has some shining moments

Author: fuzzy_wunz from New York, NY
25 May 2005

The Gantz anime series is an amalgamation of events that occurred in the first few volumes of the manga. It's an introduction to the Gantz universe and its inhabitants--most notably, the aliens and their human hunters. Like the manga, the anime centers around the growth and emergence of Kurono (Chrono) as a hero and his effort to win and survive at all costs. There's a good deal of sex and violence as well as long stretches of philosophical banter and social critique, but it often comes across as being so self-righteous and ultimately defeatist that most messages would only be appealing to audiences that already had the same beliefs.

The artwork is dark and is true to Oru Hiroya's concepts down to the intricately detailed weapons and power suits. The characters range from the sexually eager and aggressive Kurono, to the gallant Katou, to the buxom Kishimoto. The animation is mostly satisfying. Since Hiroya's artwork uses 3d models for scale and proportion, they can seem stiff and often lack fluidity. That same flaw is evident in the anime as well.

The story is intriguing, at the least, and seems to be inspired by movies such as The Cube. The sci-fi aspects are cool and even I would like to run around in a power suit for a day or two.

Altogether, it has some great ingredients that are marred by plodding progression and preachy characters. The fan-service is there, though not to an excess, but this is certainly not for children or those that are easily offended by violence, gore, or opinions diametrically opposed to your own. It's definitely worth watching and depending on who you are, you might just like it a lot.

Gantz is a nice addition in a time of predictable anime.

Author: anissueofblood from United States
30 August 2006

Gantz actually got my adrenaline pumping throughout the series and in effect almost made me feel like breaking in the television screen at some points. It kind of gave me that same feeling that GunGrave did. You feel for the characters that you do not even know just for the sake of wanting him/her to survive Gantz evil game. The series is quirky in the beginning and later on turns disdainful on the viewer. I started to feel hopeless towards the end and although I wanted the best to happen for everyone that's not what necessarily happened. If you plan on watching this then plan on watching cool action scenes that feel like they came straight out of a video game and non-stop violence. Yes, there is much graphic violence and sexual content on this one, but if you are old enough then try to endure it for the sake of enjoying an action packed anime. The only thing that got me kind of mad ws how the characters took forever to actually shoot a villain/alien/evil human. Inside my mind I was like, "Come on already!!!! Don't get yourself killed!" Check this out. I dug it.

Interesting premise, but overrated.

Author: taemujin from United States
27 December 2009

Average rating 7-8? Just proves most anime watchers are just closet perverts who are obsessed with Japanese culture.

I enjoyed the first and last episode, but everything in between was bland and actually pretty terrible.

Throughout the entire anime, I was wondering, "WHY DON'T THEY JUST SHOOT THE DAMN ALIENS?" They are teleported to some surreal purgatory like place and see people close to them dying left and right in horrible ways (getting torn apart, mauled, etc.), yet they sit there just to get killed time and time again. It seems that the creator is an egotistical pervert who thinks society is corrupt and tries to make a point that people will go above and beyond themselves to save people they don't even know. He/she completely ignores the fact that natural human instinct is for survival. Saint-like people do in fact exist in this world, but you would never see so many in such a small group of people. Perhaps the creator says that is how he would act... please. I will say it again, the creator is a self righteous/egotistical pervert who created this anime to indulge his own alien like fantasies.

Sorry, but this anime is terribly overrated and a waste of time. If you are some pervert who enjoys hentai, gore, and the like then please watch this and give it another 7-8 rating. However, if you actually enjoy a story that was well thought out (meaning LESS PLOT FAILURES and actually acknowledging human nature) then just skip it. The only reason I give it a 3 rating is because the artistry was pretty good.

A new level to the Japanese animation ?

Author: Bob Bill from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 April 2006

When i was thinking that a great part of the animes were looking similar, i watched this one with no great expectations.I got surprised with the realism of the characters' actions. OK the history is NOT the most incredible that i've seen in my life but that's not the point in this anime. Maybe some will think it's shocking,too violent or will not like the strong language etc... However this was the way to show each characters actions and feelings in the worst situations. This anime is great because it is really innovative and explores the characters like no other. There's taboo, so anything can happen anytime, always letting you surprised . If you're bored of the old story of the princess and the magic world and the magic sword and the magic... GANTZ is VERY recommended.

What can i say?.....AMAZING!!!

Author: krispenno from United Kingdom
10 July 2006

I cant get over the great expectation of this underrated show, i believe it is to be told a bad adaptation from the Manga, i did not think so myself having read the manga and then watched the show, i was fairly impressed and i think its time this show got a good review because it freakin' deserves one, the first thing i realised about this show is the amount of realism in the characters, The Lead character Kei Kurono: hes a perverted teen who thinks about nothing but girls, and doesn't want to help anybody, and has a huge level of arrogance and in the first episode is hit by a train along with his friend after they try to help a homelessman whom has fallen on the tracks. next, Masuro Kato: always wants to help people, always thinks he is doing the right thing, and in the end gets whats coming to him also hit by a train, Kei Kishimoto: the female of the story commits suicide in the bathtub, does nothing but whine and does nothing about it and last but not least Joichiro Nishi: killed himself by jumping off his school rooftop, and i only have one thing to say about this guy...hes the best. and in the end each of the main characters (well the ones who are still left) have learned how to be good human beings

prepare for letdown

Author: enkephalin07 from United States
8 October 2011

When you wind up dramatic tension in a scene, it has to pay off, in either action or plot revelation. But it's possible to spend so long on the wind-up that no pay-off will be worth it, and all your get for the effort is viewer apathy. This series does this a lot.

Every action is preceded with 5 minutes of internalizing the obvious, and followed with 5 minutes of predictable reaction. It's as if this was written to be accessible an audience too dense to grasp a situation within the first 30 frames -- an audience not mature enough for this level of graphic violence and sex in the first place.

The illustration and sound were very fine, but not enough to make this less grueling to watch. But if you happen to be studying Japanese, this is pretty basic material to listen to, so it won't be a complete waste of your time. The characters aren't much for observation, or any thought that isn't self-involved and too rudimentary for the capacity for real self-consciousness.

However, if you wanted to watch a pack of animal-order personalities get horribly mutilated -- no, forget that, they still don't die quick enough to sustain interest.

Overstated for the Sake of Subtlety

Author: jak7890-1 from United States
28 July 2007

"Gantz" (2004) is somewhat of a curiosity within its genre. While it boasts an high-octane action reputation built on almost absurd levels of violence, this is not the end-all be-all of "Gantz". The plot is the vehicle of this absurd tumult, revolving around the dead being coerced into forcibly evicting or executing transient aliens, and is itself somewhat absurd even if it is intriguing. The story itself is driven by the character development, however.

The characters are remarkably well written, having many facets to their psyches complete with strengths and flaws. Early on, the anime begins by exploring the Bystander Phenomenon (many people watching another in distress, though nobody helping) and Groupthink/Mob Mentality through an interesting usage of the Protector Archetype. Best of all, the characters, particularly Kurono Kei, are dynamic.

Though it is easy to get lost in the exaggerated violence, apathy, and cruelty which weave in and out of the storyline, this ultimately serves as a vehicle for age-old philosophical quandaries, though you have to look through the Tarantinoesque bloodshed to see them. Chief among the questions raised, are: "Is life truly sacred?" "Is it kill or be killed?" and, "What, if anything, can one person do to change the world?" While the viewer may make his or her own conclusions to these questions, the director still hasn't given his answer yet, forcing the public to wait for "Gantz" Season 2.

This anime contains adult themes including violence, nudity, and profanity. Not recommended for children.

Weird...

Author: Kain Nodak
26 April 2014

It's just weird. I almost can't even put into words how weird it is. Dying, aliens, a f***ing computer that I think is suppose to be Satan. I'll be honest I couldn't understand anything about this anime from beginning to end. In any case it's just one big mind**** after the another. I'd be lying if I didn't say I kind liked some the concepts they use with this anime like collecting a certain number of points to finally escape hell(?) Something about the weapons they use are kinda funny (Though I'd say that's because of their inconsistent nature). To top it all off the aliens are all funky looking and are not always exactly as they appear, a nice little touch (but it doesn't save this anime from the score I give it).

Overall 5/10. Strangely Average...try figuring that one out.

A gripping if somewhat gory drama

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
26 February 2014

This infamously gory series opens with teenagers Kei Kurono and Masaru Kato being struck by a train while rescuing a homeless man who had fallen from the platform. Rather than dying they find themselves in a room along with other people who have just 'died' also present is a strange black sphere. Suddenly the sphere opens and an array of weapons appears and when they look inside they see a strange man. One of the people already there explains that this is 'Gantz' and he will send them on a variety of missions. It turns out that they will all be sent out to hunt down a variety of aliens using futuristic weapons. At the end of each hunt the survivors return to the room, any injury they sustained healed. They are then free to get on with their lives… until Gantz summons them for the next hunt along was new players. When they aren't hunting aliens we see Kurono, Kato and a girl named Kei Kishimoto who stays with Kurono but has obvious feelings for Kato.

'Gantz' has a reputation for fairly extreme violence and for quite a lot of nudity. It doesn't have as much violence as show like 'Elfen Lied' but the violence here feels far more real. This is largely due to the character design which is more realistic than many shows and plenty of time is given to their development. For the most part the 3D CGI backgrounds looked great most of the time although occasionally it doesn't quite come up to scratch. There is quite a bit of nudity although it felt deliberately uncomfortable rather than the usual fan service.

The episodes featuring missions are nicely action packed with plenty of exciting moments… even if characters have a habit of talking when they should be shooting at times! These missions take place in real time so a one hour mission takes two and a bit episodes. The between mission episodes show us the characters normal lives so we grow to care about them… or possibly get annoyed by them! If you are the sort of person who wants everything explained by the end you may be disappointed but if you don't mind some major points remaining a mystery you are likely to enjoy this; I certainly did. Overall I'd certainly recommend this but only to older viewers; it is certainly not a show for children.

It's fantastic, but had potential to be up with the greats.

Author: Calscapes from United Kingdom
20 December 2012

Gantz, a wonderful anime which uncovers new great places in Horror and Sci-Fi to thrive in respectively. I highly recommend you watch it, or rather read the Japanese book version, too get your own personal feel of it. I say this because I imagine everyone will get a TOTALLY different view of this. Why? Because it's based mostly on 'morality' and how long can you cope before you smash your TV. I found myself getting so angry because of all the standing around. What could have been a solid 10/10 or at least 9.5/10, is wasted on the anime not (to put it simply) cutting the sh*t. A lot of the episodes feel like around 50% filler to reveal certain information like the targets, deaths, dangers etc. I felt like putting all the episodes into some program and cutting them down so it would redeem itself. The slow nature of Gantz does occasionally suit its storyline, for example; to raise tension, to raise panic, and to calm the storm. But most of the time, it's agonising. Don't let this give you the impression that it's a badly put together anime, that just is it's weak point. The characters are spot on, although some are annoying they are thankfully minor characters who die quickly. Kei and Kato are from the get go, believable and great characters, showing a full range of problems and individual characterisation. Kei's obsession with large breasts adds a realistic touch to the anime but not so much that it is the main focus, showing that he IS a real human being, even after seemingly getting his head ripped off. Kato's caring nature and violent out-spurts show the struggle to try and keep control over everything precious to him. Another problem I found with Gantz was that it partially felt like it didn't care for it's viewers too much. Nishi, was an interesting rival (or so I think) and character to manipulate and carry the story along. But the anime seems to be like bad side of 'Game of Thrones', they killed off nearly all of the likable or interesting characters early on, almost to the point of me not caring who lives or dies. Again, don't get me wrong Gantz's story and setting is unique, how people can be so harsh and oblivious, it raises many philosophical questions, such as; 'Kill or be killed', that other anime's or Japanese book version's are afraid to stutter. The dark and gritty side to Gantz is arguably the greatest parts, and at times it failed to recognise that the focus is not so much paranoia but the 'thrilling' atmosphere, that no one knows about. I could sing it's praises all day, but it just misses occasionally. Especially the ending which turned into Gantz realising it's number of episodes was running out and rushing everything, to the point where Gantz killed itself. So, if it weren't for the grey alien inside the Gantz awakening, this would be most definitely a solid 9/10 with a bit more correcting. But otherwise, 8/10.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]