IMDb > Undiscovered (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

An Unprejudiced Review.

Author: T_Man from Cuse
2 January 2006

this is a review for anyone who doesn't care that ashlee simpson is in the movie or what it made at the box office and just want a movie to rent because they are bored.

with that being said i found this movie entertaining. there was no point that i felt like i wanted to turn it off or watch another movie. i paid four bucks to rent it, do i regret it? no. i rented the movie despite the negative reviews because most of the people commenting on it had not seen it.

the performance of the lead actress is effective but nothing special. i think its a crime they had shannyn sossamon cast for the movie and used her as the worst character in the entire movie. she could have been much better in the lead role. ashlee simpson was fine in the movie. she wasn't great but she was just really in a sidekick role, nothing demanding.

the plot was good enough to keep my interest, the music was really good so i'm probably going to investigate the soundtrack and the direction was music video-esquire, i guess you can decide for yourself if that is a plus or a minus.

so overall if you like movies that can be classified as 'cute' but aren't corny, if your someone who watches the OC on occasion or if you are just looking for a movie with feeling but isn't too heavy then i say go for undiscovered.

Not as bad as I anticipated

Author: lsu_grrl from United States
26 August 2005

Cheesy plot? Check. Mediocre acting? Check. Stilted lines? Check. Clichéd Hollywood characters? Check. Undiscovered had everything you would expect to find in a mostly bad teen movie. But it did have a few redeeming qualities as well. Like great music, a really funny supporting character, not to mention a lead actor who can really work a pair of leather pants. I went to see a sneak preview of Undiscovered expecting to make fun of it, but I walked out of the theater mostly wanting to check out the soundtrack. The main male character, played by Steven Strait, is a want-to-be rock star who has a ten second encounter with a pretty girl on a New York subway. Fast forward two years, the two meet again in Hollywood. Then, in what seemed to be a highly contrived plot point, the girl, now a successful model, decides to fast-track the guy's career, all while pretending she doesn't like him. Fast forward a few months, the guy's career is taking off, but the pair are still in limbo. I won't say anymore about the plot. Suffice it to say that while the script and story seemed a little forced, and I was pretty sure the director/photographer wanted to make me throw up with a lot of shaking hand-held close-ups, Undiscovered had a pretty good cast of up and comers and a great soundtrack. I was really surprised by Ashlee Simpson, and actually walked out of the theater with more respect for her than when I walked in. Who knew the girl could actually sing.

It's actually an average movie

Author: christian123
18 July 2006

Luke (Strait) and Brier (James) are two beautiful young people who have a chance encounter on a New York subway. Shortly later, they both go to L.A. to find fame, he as a rock star and her as an actress, but when they run into each other again, they have to decide whether their relationship is strong enough to withstand "the business." Undiscovered was named by many as the worst film of 2005. I can't say I really agree with that. The movie is kind of weak but it's still tolerable and it's also pretty harmless. The premise is fairly interesting even if it's not very original. The execution is only average but still much better than expected. The romance is pretty weak though and just not very interesting. The two leads don't have enough chemistry to make the movie work. There are a few moments of intrigue and some nice performances but the end result is still unsatisfying. The reason the film is kind of lackluster is because of the writer and the director. John Galt wrote the screenplay and he fails to really add anything new to this movie. Also, Meiert Avis just keeps everything by the numbers without adding any surprises.

The acting is only okay with Carrie Fisher giving the best performance. She isn't given a lot of screen time but she still manages to give a few funny lines. Pell James is pretty good as Brier Tucket. She has that "model" look and she has an engaging quality that kept focusing my attention to her. Steven Strait is only okay as Luke. He's a little dull but he has that "rock star" look that suited the character. Ashlee Simpson plays Clea and she is actually only a supporting character in the movie. Her performance is surprisingly average (like the film) but she should stick to singing. Shannyn Sossamon was just annoying and not funny while Kip Pardue was only okay.

I think the supporting characters really kept this movie moving. The scenes between Clea and Brier were pretty nice and engaging. Most of the characters were also pretty likable so the viewer at least cares for a happy ending. The ending was surprisingly good but very obvious. The music wasn't as painful as I was expecting it to be. I don't really like the type of music that was performed in the film but some of the songs were decent. Of course, there were a few cheesy songs but they can't all be winners. I think the movie was unfairly bashed because of Ashlee Simpson's appearance. However, she didn't bring down the movie and the film itself wasn't horrible. In the end, Undiscovered isn't worth checking out but it's not a travesty either. Rating 5/10

Not What I Expected

Author: scottsandage from United States
27 August 2005

"Undiscovered" tells the story of an up and coming musician who happens to run into a model once in New York then two years later after they have both separately moved to L.A. The two have a loose relationship and the film is more detached than anything, be it bad acting or bad writing I felt I did not get to know the characters true feelings. I felt that the film had a good story but was just not portrayed the way I think it should have been. These characters should have had tons of emotions but it just never came. It seemed that they were not moving and feeling the way they should have been,especially with the reoccurring scenes where the two who,I was supposed to be convinced, where in love coming together again and again. The film was not totally what I expected it to be and I believe that it could have been better taken advantage of by use of character emotions and camera movements at the right time.

undiscovered was by far the worst movie of the year

Author: itsxmexloser-1 from United States
4 September 2005

OK lets just sum it up for everyone boy meets girl in corny subway scene then they meet up a couple years later they sleep together then they break up he makes it big time as a singer and he becomes mean (it was shocking NOT) then he becomes nice they meet at the airport and get back together and he decides to become a writer WOW that was sooo lame and boring i left to go to the bathroom and i actually looked for a way to escape lol. o and of course ashlee simpson sings b/c then the movie wouldn't of even made it to theaters. and the main characters name is breyer why didn't they just name her turkey hill or edys. and wat ever moron played Breyer did a terrible job i mean horrid.i clapped when it was over i think i was the loudest in the whole theater.

It is good if you want a cute romance movie

Author: musicgirrl16 from United States
12 August 2006

Although not the most sophisticated movie. Storyline is cute and Steven Strait, Pell James and Ashlee Simpson were pretty good. Some line didn't make sense and the sceen where he's acting like a rock star on stage not even noticing the groupie and Josie fighting over him was a little ridiculous and tacky. It may not be up to par with other really good romantic movies such as Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle, Pride and Prejudice, The Princess Bride, Pretty woman, When harry met sally.(I can add a lot more but I be sitting here for a good solid hour or so)Aside from all those movies it still is cute feel good (if you're a sap like me) movie. PS. The soundtrack's awesome too.

Hiss! Boo!

Author: hannibal wolff (hannibalw@yahoo.com) from Canada
2 September 2005

The fact that Ashlee Simpson was booed off the stage at last years Orange Bowl should have provided plenty of evidence as to her lack of singing talent and abilities . Now we have Undiscovered as proof that she cannot act either . As Clea she is without a doubt clueless on what an actual actor does. Inhabit the role and make it your own not simply mug for the camera. This is another effort from a music vid director Meiert Avis. Where do these people get their names ? Of course the script is hideous and story threads disappear at an alarming rate . Dropping a glove in a train station one of the protagonists drops the other one in a moment of foreshadowing that 'real' ;ove will develop with the mystery man . What a joke ! It won't be long before the Simpson girls are back living in their daddies double wide trailer out in hicks ville .

Undiscovered - wished it had stayed that way

Author: dorothyhza from South Africa
22 December 2005

This movie is called UNDISCOVERED, and it should have stayed that way. We find totally uninspiring characters, a weak plot and some self-conscious acting. It fails to ignite, never making it's mind up about what it really wants to be and in the end leaves the viewer with total indifference. There are obvious attempts a edgy camera-work and innovative cinematography but in the end that also fails miserably. Due to the aimless script the viewer never develops any sympathy or empathy for any character. This movie lasts roughly 90 minutes, which is about 88 minutes too long. The best part of the whole thing is one or two Ashley Simpson songs, and that's not even overly impressive.

Another coming-of-age film about getting an entertainment career and love life

Author: noizyme from Escondido, CA
1 February 2006

Undiscovered was a typical romance drama/coming-of-age film for 20-something's with no backbone or intrigue. I watched it for Shannyn Sossamon because she's played these great characters in the past with very little going on in their lives, but in this film, she's this Brazilian model-type who seems very much in the wrong film (the character does anyways).

I don't know what US Weekly was smoking when they proclaimed on the back of the DVD "Ashlee Simpson shines as a punky inspiring singer-actress." Simpson was basically playing a girl with no real depth and a horrible nasal voice. I do however believe in what the New York Post said about Pell James, that "(she) is adorable and winsome, she's a romantic star in the making." She might be a not-so-well-known actress, but she was a well cast lead girl for this film. But the main "dude," Steven Strait, is just a big baby with too much of his heart on his shoulder, and his knack for writing lame songs in the movie just puts the character in the ground.

I really only liked a few things about the movie. 1) Carrie Fisher. She hasn't been in a whole lot of films as of late, so it was good to see her as a lead role in the model/actress' career. 2) The chick fight in the Viper Room scene. That's always killer. And 3) The small joke about the main singer guy having arachnophobia (told by his agent at Tantra Records).

The rest of the film has been done before by better actors. There was boring music (which consisted of acoustic sets and U2 ripoff songs), a ridiculous back and forth love story which makes you want to turn the DVD off ahead of time, the dude acting like a baby through most of the film because he finds out that his contract was helped out by Brier (the main girl) and it wasn't because of his lame songs, and there was even a ridiculous chant that the Tantra Records' associates go into after deleting this guy from the label. I really didn't get the line when she calls up this musician guy and adds "I know. This is borderline stalking you." Hello? He's been obsessing about you the whole movie, not the other way around.

I had to give the film a 3/10. It was shot well, but their was no driving force that kept my attention to the screen without reminding me of how much of a cable TV movie this is. I hope this was just made to give Ashlee Simpson a film career because if the writer really felt depth in this script, I would start to lose hope in the future of film.

Musician Appeal

Author: wordweb-1 from United States
24 June 2006

Thought the plot, the characters, the setting, and especially the music fit in every way the tunes, especially "Smart In A Stupid Way" and "Boomerang". Undiscovered has a musician's feel that non-musician's could easily miss. Life of musicians is hectic enough, as in all areas of performing arts. Add to that formula an attempt at true romance while trying to pull it all off with an artist's feel, even by actors playing musicians, and that's quite a feat. This movie was obviously not meant to be some chromed rich kid glamor story about rock musicians. It's a picture of real life in the quest for fame and musical discovery, which in final leans more to the side of musical creation than performing. Thus its setting has that raw quality of down to earth smelly club carpet intermixed with a glamor chase, eventually resulting in neither, but instead a down home one on one relationship with one's music and one's lover.

The soundtrack is excellent, the pop song composition is rich, and the musical performers are 'tight'. Some of the AR record scouts are slimy, which is not totally accurate in the real world, but enough to get the point across in the movie that songwriting carries many more benefits than performing.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]