IMDb > Flicka (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

oh dear

Author: from United States
25 November 2006

OH dear. I was channel surfing in the USA and I came across some footage that made me nauseous ,courtesy of SHARK..that showed the wild horse races in the USA!.Disgusting,barbaric, ,appalling and abhorrent.I also note the AHA investigation as stated on SHARK also came up with,like Lord of the Rings..more injured and dead horses..it all sounds all too familiar..problems on set being covered up and not exposed properly thereby letting the self centered film industry get away with it again...-the second time in three years...and again the media covering it up..the bad behavior of the movie industry..I work on films...there is no need for any one or animal be harmed in the making of a movie.Large or small.We have been doing it for a while..we know what health and safety is.We are not all this bad.Kids this ain't no joke.This is not funny.If you have pets..do you let harm come to them in your house and under your care?.This is no different...on TV I saw mid west thugs doing cruel stuff to horses....unnecessarily......thugs with little in the way of common sense or decency treating animals badly ..and I presume there wives. And it sounds like,well Lord of the rings ,not good things happened on set and was covered up.This is appalling and the industry should be ashamed as hsould Americans.(and fair enough..we banned fox hunting in the UK and thats not even apatch on this ..fox hunting is humane compared to this)I for one am unable to support or watch this movie as I know enough about the AHA that although they may not print the whole truth and they may err on the side of caution ..they do get at least the tip of the iceberg out so you know on both those film -FLicka and LOTR things were amiss...and thugs were worse than what the AHA can reasonably say on their site(see film & TV unit of AHA).Disappointing that Tim McGraw allows this and he is not ëyes open yet.You know can one forgive him for this kind of support for these wild horse races.NO.Cna I buy his movie now.NO! He is in a position to make a difference and he should open his eyes consciously and look at what is really happening here and real see it and understand the pain being caused.Thumbs down to every producer,actor and director on this movie.Thumbs up to SHARK for getting the story out and to any sponser who pulls out.Thumbs up to Paul McCartney.Thumbs up to ... tried so valiantly on LOTR to stop this crap happening on film sets..Animal or human, undue suffering is not required.Here,in Africa, UK ,Mexcio,Canada ,or anywhere.Undue suffering in Afirca,Dafur and elsewhere like hunger must end.

after school special

Author: T Thunderbeing from Canada
24 October 2006

Holy, I can't believe this movie got made. Im a pretty open-minded person. And I was looking forward to being entertained. Yeah, I knew it involved a girl and her horse, but still, I was open-minded, plus my date wanted to see it. I never read the book, but it was way too predictable. It was like I was psychic or something. about 10 minutes into it, I wanted to leave. it was agonizing.The main character who plays KATY was deece. she did a good job and was convincing. was nice to see a normal looking girl in this role besides the other young bubble heads in Hollywood (see Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff). Tim Mcgraw is terrible. Holy. His delivery is flat, forced and mono tone, like he is constipated or his jeans are too tight. He is the Mariah Carrey of country singers/actors. Also, like what rancher dad has a fake and bake tan with obvious hair plugs? I could not stop staring at them curling over his hair line. yeah the character worked outside, but he wore a hat. cowboys don't get THAT tanned. Dwight Yoakam or someone more realistic would have done well.at least dwight lets his thin locks flow, and sports a white pastey complexion. The actress who played the character of Nell was deece too. Didn't over act, and was subtle. she looked weathered and her hair was messy at times (more realistic) okay, who was jack? was he just a ranch hand? or a relative? not a realistic character. too pretty boyish. him and Tim's character were more prim and proper than the females in the movie. He seems like a good actor. but not cast well as a Coyboy. more like a mob bosses son or a cop. oh yes, the horse. I felt no connection to the horse. not like the one in Hildago. Sorry horse. other than that the rest of the cast did its job. in closing, Tim McGraw and the story like sucked. Boring movie. Even the ultra conservative residents of Utah will doze off. I bet Mike Tyson could write a more heartfelt movie than this one. ~T~

Wow...

Author: Mike Anderson from United States
20 October 2006

I just saw this movie, and, throughout the whole movie I didn't know what was going on. It seemed like a long book turned into a 2 hour movie. I suppose if you really like horses you might enjoy this film. But if you know much about movies, it's an awful movie. The scene changes were all pretty random, and what wasn't random was extremely predictable. While watching this movie I kept thinking "Wow, this is the trailer, except it's 2 hours long, and explains a couple things." Until the credits rolled I didn't even know the characters' names, aside from a couple of them (Flicka, and Howard). In my opinion, there wasn't quite enough explaining. And I didn't really care about any of the characters.

great camera work, rebellious child

Author: littlerosemeade from United States
23 October 2006

I was very disappointed in this movie and would not take a tween to see it. The girl disobeys the father at every turn. It seems she thinks he makes rules only for her to break them. To make it worse, the mother sides with the child and not with her spouse.

Beautiful camera work, but no one rides anymore without a walkie talkie or a cell phone attached to their body, especially when they ride alone over vast amounts of land. And what about a horse so wild that no one can go near it, but they pen it up without food or water for days and days and someone must have gone in with it to pick up the manure...... It's just too bad that they didn't remake the old Flicka story. It was a great story.

A dream come true

Author: oklahoma2012 from United States
21 February 2008

I completely fell in love with this movie! I think the cast of characters were real and believable. Tim McGraw was fantastic of playing the Dad who's caught between protecting his children and setting them free to live their dreams. The whole cast was wonderful and even more so was the story of Flicka itself. Being raised in the city, but a country girl at heart, this film resonated with me. If you're just looking to escape from the harsh, cruel, destructive ways of the city, and lose yourself amongst the way the world was meant to have been, then go see Flicka! An absolute wonderful movie about dreams, family, and a friendship that saves us all.

Great family fun.

Author: kris911rt from United States
12 March 2007

It's true that the basic storyline of Flicka is nothing new. Father/daughter conflict and teen angst - it's been done over and over again. But I think the reason these types of story lines can be recycled over and over is because they're something most folks can relate to. We enjoy them because, on some basic level, we see versions of our own lives.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Flicka is not a cinematic masterpiece filled with profound little nuggets of wisdom that will make you re-think the universe and your place in it. It's just an old story tied up in a shiny new wrapper.

That being said, however, it's a wonderful old story! It's perfectly okay that it's an age-old plot because it's told beautifully.

They picked one of the most beautiful places on Earth to film this movie and the scenery is breath-taking. The horses are regal and elegant. Flicka is stunning, mysterious, and just sad enough to make you fall in love with her.

The cast was completely enjoyable as well. Tim McGraw is the father of three little girls, and it shows in this movie. The man can also handle himself on horseback with a comfort that comes with experience. Maria Bello brings a lot of warmth to the mix as the mother, and Alison Lohman is the wild child you can't help but love. She just broke my heart over and over again. Ryan Kwanten is charming and adorable, like a big brother should be.

The best thing about this movie is that it can be enjoyed by every member of the family. You can get your whole gang together, everybody in P.Js, and curl up with Flicka and a big bowl of popcorn. There just aren't enough movies like this one these days!

This movie reawakened the dreams I had as a child.

Author: Gail Russell (Gail006) from United States
11 November 2006

A truly wonderful movie. The scenery was beautiful, Alison did a wonderful job doing her own riding in much of the film, and the horses heading toward the cliff was breathtaking. This movie truly brought me back to my childhood and teen years of wanting to live in the mountains and ride horses. This life Katie had was a dream for me that never came true. True, it bordered on unrealistic in some areas, but we have to look at it as great entertainment, a break away from real life. It was a movie I could watch with my ten year old step daughter and feel completely comfortable with. This is not a "kids" movie, it is a "break away from reality" kind of movie that a mountain loving, horse loving, 57 year old woman truly enjoyed. I will definitely be buying the movie when it comes out on DVD. I will once again be able to live my dreams through Katie.

see it and be changed

Author: kelly kelly from United States
21 October 2006

Although the ending was a little disappointing, everything up until then was satisfying. There is nothing like a good movie that alternatively makes you dry your eyes while giggling sheepishly and routing for the under dogs, Eur under horse in this case.This movie has the power to remind you to live. It helps you realize what may be missing from your life, and give you momentary motivation to seek it out. There are scenes with horses running wild. These remind you of their power, beauty, and inability to stop surviving. It made me want to go home and tackle my obstacles with a ferocity that surprised me. I walked out wondering what I needed to do to fight for myself.

An Excellent Movie

Author: shaylakessel from United States
19 November 2006

Flicka is a great movie for people of all ages to go and watch. You will really love the movie if you own horses or want to own a horse. All the actors do a wonderful job and the setting is amazing. This movie is definitely a tear jerker, so be sure to take some tissues with you.

This movie touches you deep down if you are at all a horse lover. If I were a more sensitive person I would have cried myself. I know anyone who watches this movie should love it as much as I did. But if you don't like this movie you must not be a horse lover or at all a sensitive person.

A movie for all to see with their family!

Author: Leslie Susan Berger from United States
19 October 2006

Finally, a family friendly movie with substance and great messages to uplift young people and really everyone! First, I remember reading the book My Friend Flicka, so it brought back such wonderful memories . The beautiful scenery and the photography and filming of it was breathtaking. The Director Michael and his DP and Camera crew did a remarkable job. I had the pleasure to meet Michael Mayer after the premiere tonight, what a nice and outgoing gentleman. Looking forward to seeing more projects directed by Micahl and with hopes to work with him as one of his actors.

What a beautiful sight it was to watch a movie with beautiful horses, and green scenery with beautiful hillsides and mountains from Wyoming......It reaffirmed to me how Wonderful is God who created such beautiful land and animals.

The music composer did a remarkable job. The music really enhances the movie and then the song Tim McGraw wrote, wow! Melodic and meaningful! Tim Surprised me on what a great actor he is too! Everyone ought to go see this movie......Finally something for the kids to see.....No cursing, no bloody killing and violence, no immoral behavior........Finally......Kudos to 20th Century Fox for standing behind this project.

Wishing Flicka to hit big this weekend! Leslie Berger