IMDb > Kinky Boots (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Wholesome family values Movie

Author: Roedy Green from Victoria, BC. Canada
3 May 2006

This movie is about old-fashioned values like decency and unselfishness. Though the premise, an old style English shoe factory avoiding bankruptcy by designing boots for drag queens sounds sleazy, this movie is squeaky clean entertainment suitable for children.

The camera work is entertaining, especially, oddly the closeup scenes of shoes being manufactured, streams of colour zipping along to the upbeat music.

It is a movie without villains. The conflict comes from selfish vs unselfish motives, self direction vs worrying what others think, despair vs taking responsibility.

Of course the theme of tolerance for diversity is woven through. The movie does not have the usual silly Hollywood tolerance breakthroughs. It comes in fits and starts with back pedaling and tolerance from surprising sources.

The lead drag queen Lola sings better than anyone on American Idol, in a genre all her own. The musical numbers are far better than you will see an any real world drag show. These are not female impersonators. None of the drag queens would ever pass as female.

This is a character-based tragi-comedy about wildly different outcasts interacting. Of course the basic plot is predictable if you watch the trailers and use your intellect. But that is not how to watch this comedy. It is a bit like complaining that Lucille Ball was inevitably going to get herself covered in some sort of mess in the Long Trailer or that a Marx brothers comedy would end in a pie fight. Immerse yourself in the movie's reality. I was genuinely surprised by the ending, though in retrospect it was inevitable. Plot twists like a murder mystery is not what this movie is about. If all you care about is plot, skip this movie; it will go over your head.

All said, unless you have a heart of stone, you will come out smiling and more optimistic than when you went in.

Enchanting story of a drag queen and a shoemaker

Author: blanche-2 from United States
27 May 2006

"Kinky Boots" is a delightful film based on a true story about the travails of a shoe manufacturing factory set in Northampton, England. When Charlie Price (Joel Edgerton) takes over the family shoe business, he discovers the company is practically out of business. After laying off a bunch of people, one of the young women he's making "redundant" tells him the company needs to find its niche. He finds it by accident when he helps a drag queen named Lola (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who's about to be attacked by a group of men. After watching Lola's shows, Charlie decides the niche will be shoe wear for "a variety of men," i.e., drag queens et al., who have trouble finding womens shoes that fit. He invites Lola to Northampton to help design and test the shoes.

Funny, warm, with characters you care about, "Kinky Boots" says something about societal attitudes towards those who are different and what it truly means to be a man, but doesn't beat you over the head with it. It has a great story, lots of humor, and excellent acting, particularly from Chiwetel Ejiofor and Joel Edgerton. While everyone else in the film complex was at "The Da Vinci Code" and "MI: 3", several of us were being royally entertained by an old-fashioned story. We loved every minute of it.

Cheeky, good fun!

Author: HaloFive00 from United States
30 April 2006

Kinky Boots is a cheeky, fun little movie that has a simple message, but a life all its own! It is part of the new wave of irreverent British comedies and it holds its own against the rest of the pack.

Chiwetel Ejiofor shines in this film, proving once again that he's an actor to watch. After compelling turns in Inside Man and Dirty Pretty Things (among others), he defies convention in Kinky Boots--this is not an actor who can be type cast! He is riveting as Lola/Simon, convincing through and through.

There are some subplots that fall a little flat, but the story is very cute overall. The actors are uniformly good, but Ejiofor stands out. In addition, the production design is also pretty well done--the drag sequences are hysterical and a joy to behold. This film put a gigantic smile on my face that stayed put for the rest of the day!

Excellent film with great performances and very funny at times

Author: jhab-1 from Brisbane, Australia
4 March 2006

I really enjoyed Kinky Boots - great performances by both Joel Edgerton and Chiwetel Ejiofor. It's the first time I've seen Joel Edgerton in a lead role and I think he carries it off quite well, though I'm probably biased as I like him as an actor. It was very interesting to see Chiwetel Ejiofor later the same evening in a totally different sort of role as the Operative in "Serenity", showing his ability to play a broad range of characters. It's very funny in parts - the first film I've been to in a long time where I've had a really good laugh. The rest of the audience obviously enjoyed the humour as well. The humour generally revolves around Lola and the way that people relate to her, but it avoids stereotypical jokes. It's not only funny, but also quite moving at times, and again that tends to relate to the way people deal with Lola, which usually says more about them than her - ultimately a feel good movie and based (not sure how closely) on a true story. Overall, it's a well told story, with likable characters, a plot that's believable, and left me feeling good about the characters and what happened to them.

Absolutely worth your time

Author: tym7 from Los Angeles
23 April 2006

Like The Full Monty, this is a very satisfying, and ultimately uplifting film. It's basically about two people who have seemingly nothing in common, but are actually at similar crossroads in their lives. The performances by Joel Edgerton and Chiwetel Ejiofor are great and the plotting is nicely handled. The supporting roles are just as richly played as the main ones and provide many moments of humor. While there is a lot to laugh about, the film is strongest when dealing with the characters' foibles and triumphs over them.

This is a small film with giant themes and is definitely worth your time.

The most fun was my husband ordering tickets - 2 Kinky Boots Please

Author: barsaun from United States
17 May 2006

I enjoyed everything about this movie. It was warm, funny and intellectual without forcing an opinion or preaching. I found the characters rich and likable (except the Fiancé - but you weren't supposed to like her). My husband is a very "straight" man - and he laughed as hard and enjoyed the film so much he ordered the soundtrack on Amazon as soon as we got home.

We particularly liked when it was clear that Charlie and Lola were both as good a man as their fathers - if not better. We found Lola likable no matter which way he/she was dressed and loved Lola's challenge of Don - Change your mind about someone

See it

Frank Capra Would Have Appreciated This

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
12 May 2006

We on the other side of the Atlantic are only now getting to see this wonderful comedy/drama from the United Kingdom. Hard to believe for some that a film with drag entertainers could take its inspiration from Frank Capra.

But that's exactly what you have here. Charlie Price played by Joel Edgerton is a 21st century George Bailey, the closest I've ever seen to one portrayed in a long time. He's inherited his family business which is a shoe factory in Northampton. But the market is interested in the kind of craftsmanship his company has been known for over generations. Outlets are now buying cheaper stuff from the former Soviet bloc. He's letting his workers go.

One of them, Linda Bassett, tells him to get up and fight. And an inspiration hits him in the form of a spiked heel. He rescues what he first thinks is a woman, but it is a drag entertainer played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. Her spike has broken off in the attack and she's going to have to lay out some big money for new boots.

Like in the old cartoons, a lightbulb goes on over his head and he realizes there's a market here untapped for feminine footwear for cross-dressers. And who better to design the stuff than the person who knows her needs best.

It's not as easy as it sounds. Edgerton has a whole load of issues to overcome as does Ejiofor in learning to trust and respect his new business partner.

If you've seen any of Frank Capra's populist classics from the Thirties and Forties you already know what the ending will be.

Though for the life of me I cannot see James Stewart doing what Edgerton almost has to do to save the situation at the fashion show.

Funny and sexy

Author: chris1800 from United States
14 May 2006

I laughed all through the movie and loved the drag. This movie was predictable, but it reminded me of how hard it is to change your perspective. When will someone make a movie of drag shows with this kind of great choreography and music? The costumes were definitely inspired by Priscilla Queen of the Desert. While my movie companion thought that Kinky Boots ran too long, I couldn't get enough. We both agreed that many of the jokes were over played in the straight-meets-drag genre. I can't wait for the DVD director's cut to come out for the extra scenes and commentary. Let's hope we don't have to wait another decade for this type of comedy with its tint of self improvement.

Kinky Boots Factory is in fact STILL OPEN

Author: jgharris1 from United States
29 November 2006

Actually they remain open for business the following was taken directly from their website at 10:30cst on 11-29-2006. Please remember they are a manufacturer of "kinky" products so 18 or over only please.

www.divine.co.uk

The Kinky Boot Factory now famous for the film " KINKY BOOTS" and also for the BBC TV programme " TROUBLE AT THE TOP " is an English based company from Northamptonshire with over a 115 years of trading history in the footwear industry, we carry over 2,500 pairs of footwear in stock in sizes ladies 3 up to men's size 13,a vast majority of these are Made In England by traditional craftsmen to a high quality from hand picked materials and our clothing ranges are also mainly made in the UK and again we have a vast stock.

It was with great pleasure that we have been involved in the making of the film " KINKY BOOTS" as the actual story was based on our movement into the erotic footwear scene also having been featured on many television programs such as, "Trouble At The Top", "Trisha", "Esther", "Men And Motors" and many other programs, we pride our selves in trying to give our customers value for money and customer service, advice and help in all aspects of their purchases.

Kinky Boots Will Rock The Screen

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
11 February 2008

'Kinky Boots' is a splendid colourful little film with a big heart. Those who have enjoyed heartfelt films like 'Calender Girls' and 'Billy Elliot' will love this one too. It's also one of the many things I love about little British movies. They have a very simple message, a simple story to tell about real people but they tell it with heart and soul without throwing the message 'in your face'. Director Julian Jarrold does not disappoint in that front and, as is the case with many such films, they strongly rely on performances too. Chiwetel Ejiofor remains one of the underrated talents of the generation and he totally carries the film. All the effort he's gone through for the character has certainly paid off. He looks the part and, next to acting, the guy sure can sing too. Joel Edgerton provides a brilliant contrast to Ejiofor's Lola/Simon (as demanded by the character) and, in a subtle way, he also conveys the similarities and pain that both characters share. Sarah-Jane Potts is a charming delight. The rest of the cast that includes talents like Nick Frost and Linda Bassett lend sufficient support with their strong presence and comedy. The delightful camera-work dances to the tune of the wonderful score. The slick shots of the shoes being manufactures is very notable. There are so many laugh-out-loud sequences especially the hilarious 'drag' sequences (which are funny without making a mockery out of drag queens and transvestites). Even though it's based on a short story, the inspiration clearly shows and the writers have created a great fun story. In the end, I felt a little uplifted and it left a smile.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]