A fair round-table discussion of God, centered on two famous men.

Author: Randy from Colorado
7 February 2007

As the title suggests, the series uses the dichotomy of two contrasting figures: The notably religious C. S. Lewis (of Narnia fame) and equally notable atheist, Sigmund Freud. Their lives are shown through brief vignettes, each demonstrating the two mens' path towards or away from religion. Surrounding each scene is a sometimes lively round-table discussion featuring people of different persuasions, seemingly all religious save two. The moderator asks general questions, often from the biographical scenes, and the table takes turns answering.

As a self-described amateur religious philosopher, I was drawn to this special after catching most of it on television, and promptly purchased the DVD. I've now watched it two, maybe three times, and while it's shallow in its debate, and far too short to really get to anything meaningful, it's an interesting show and I'll probably watch it yet again! (In fact, every time the resident atheists bring up a point based on evidence, logic, reason, etc., the subject is quickly changed to feelings, or emotion, or the like.) I would hope that a future series expands on the issues raised. I know that if Michael Shermer is involved, I'll watch it. All in all, definitely worth watching, if a little topical because of the time restrictions and the emphasis placed on the title characters' biographies.