IMDb > "Numb3rs" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How long can it last?

Author: juliegrimm98058 from United States
23 January 2005

I just saw the first episode and I enjoyed it (though I am not a member of a Jewish family as suggested by the other commenter). I previously enjoyed Rob Morrow's work on Northern Exposure, and the idea of a mathematician that helps the FBI find serial offenders is an interesting twist on the old Law and Order formula. I just can't see how long they will be able to keep coming up with new episode ideas. I mean, how many different mathematical concepts to catch a serial rapist/killer/etc. can there possibly be? The work of having to invent new crimes and perpetrators PLUS mathematical theorems and equations each 50 minute episode seems like it will cause the show to fizzle out. Regardless, the makers did a nice job of managing to make a guy frantically scribbling on a chalkboard suspenseful.

I loved Numb3rs!

Author: merniesmith from United States
8 October 2012

I loved Numb3rs just about all the way through. It started going downhill a bit, though, when they ran that Charlie-lost-his-security-clearance stuff through episode after episode, though. It became hard to hear him, much less understand him. He spoke in more of a monotone, than he ever did before. And he and Don got too philosophical, IMO!! The cop drama needs to focus on catching the bad guys, it seems to me!

The episodes with Edgerton (Lou Diamond Phillips) were always terrific. He added a whole different angle ... precision thinking and precision shooting! Loved those episodes.

Overall, it was marvelous, though. It'd be fun to have it back ... if they can get off this brooding philosophical stuff, that is!

Too much lovey-dovey

Author: wasser16 from United Kingdom
8 July 2009

The shows are usually very good but in the UK we are now going through series two. Last night, episode twenty was shown and the last four or five episodes there has been too much kissing and smooching. To me, that is a big turn-off. First it was Charlie, then Don, then their father and low and behold if Larry doesn't ask Megan for a date. For a forty minute show it shouldn't be that difficult to write up an episode without all that lovey-dovey in it. YUK!!!! Why is Don so grumpy. If Charlie says boo to him he usually jumps up like a bottle of pop and also for a FBI office supervisor he is too emotional. I think a better and less emotional supervisor would be better played by David Sinclair who is the best actor,(in my opinion) in the whole cast.

casting

Author: jpslater from Canada
24 February 2006

I'm afraid i don't like the actress, DIANE FARR, She seems stilted and looks like she is acting. I don't find her to be a natural actress, I don;t like her tight mouth and the way she talks through her teeth

. but the show is just fine The time it comes on in British Colmbia, Canada is 10pm just perfect for watching and ending the day without interruptions. It is refreshing to get a show with a different slant,that isn't a reality show or a spin-off of CSI. And the very BEST attribute....no swearing or episodes that makes a viewer ncomfortable when in the presence of others. I have not found one single episode that i found to be offensive.

Charlie Eppes' character should be developed in a more romantic/sexual way to appeal to female viewers

Author: moon_goddess_59 from United States
24 October 2005

My husband, a geek through and through, and I love watching this show together. At every technical conversation sequence between Charlie and Dr. Larry Fleinhardt, I turn to him and ask, "Do you know what they're talking about?", to which he invariably replies, "Yep!" with a big grin on his face. This is one show that appeals to intelligent, technical people as well as those who just love a good crime-solving show.

But the one area of the show that has not yet been exploited, which we've only been teased with, is the absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, adorable Charlie Eppes! I'm a 46-yo working mom and my heart still goes pitta-pat whenever I see him on screen! I used to have a thing for Dr. Joel Fleischman (Rob Morrow) in "Northern Exposure", but Charlie is sexier by at least one order of magnitude. He's only flirted with the idea of taking Amita, his grad student, out on dates, which has been a flop because they can't seem to get past all the technical talk to that first kiss! I think the writers should create a greater appeal to we women watching the show and do some suggestive scenes with Charlie - for example, coming out of the shower, dripping wet, with just a towel wrapped around his waist. He can act embarrassed but at least we'll see some SKIN. And get him to work a little harder for Amita...break through that tech-talk barrier...enough teasing already! Regardless, the show is TERRIFIC and we look forward to each new episode.

Ratings

Author: girlie_girl74 from United States
29 January 2005

Friday nights show not only won its time slot it was number one for the night, I refer to Zap2it.com. While I like the show and am feeling more comfortable with the characters I felt the last five minutes of this weeks show rushed the ending too much. The show built to the climax then it was like they ran out of time and suddenly it ended and I was left thinking what happened! I wish I had taped it just so I could rerun the ending. I did like the way they fleshed out the two brothers characters by having Epps' partner talk to their father. I did like the way Charlie was torn between not wanting to get involved with all the death and gore but knowing he might hold the key to stop it. I'll watch next week and see where it goes from there.

Look forward to future episodes - educating

Author: bibideangelo from United States
26 January 2005

The idea of having math be an important part in locating serial killers is believable to me. I'd like to know which police department has the financial resources to pay for the collection of DNA samples etc... not the departments I've worked with in the past!! We used astrology to give a psychological profile on which candidates would be possible to be a serial killer, because it's pretty self evidence in a birth chart. Believe it! Look forward to seeing how this series develops. The math in locating a serial killer is believable.. however, how many serial kills will there be. The bank robbery episode to air next week looks interesting. I'll keep watching as long as it's believable and gotta say the casting is great! Good luck!

TOO Jewish??????

Author: michael-ricci-3 from Boston, MA
24 January 2005

There was a post here earlier that made remarks to the effect that this show was too Jewish. I couldn't even see where that was derived from the father of the FBI/ Mathmatician combination is the only one who seemed to have some qualities that that could remotely be considered Yidish or New York Jewish type but that is hardly a reason to call this show too Jewish! I loved the guy. He adds so much to the show. THE REMOVED POSTING THAT SAID THIS SHOW IS TOO Jewish SHOULD REMAIN UP HERE SO WE COULD ALL SEE THE STUPIDITY OF THOSE who polarize everything through racial and ethnic preconceptions. This was a great show and if it showed a hint of ethnic flair of Jewishness...good! So be it. Let there be more if it adds to the show. We should embrace being Italian-American, Irish American, African-American, Jewish-American and so on with the common thread of all being American. This was a GREAT SHOW so far. The only way a criticism would ever be valid calling it "too Jewish," is if being too Jewish meant that it was excluding other races or ethnicities in a subversive manner but come on! YOU HAVE A Scottish-American PHYSICIST, AN African-American AGENT, AN Indian-American DOCTORAL STUDENT....HOW IS THAT TOO Jewish!!!??? I have some Jewish in my background (that is diverse as this country is) but I am a Catholic and predominantly Italian and Irish. The only kind of person I could see leaving a post that this show is too Jewish is an Anti-Semite and I am ashamed that he is from my home state! This was a great show and I hope they keep i to on.

White collar and high-tech crime

Author: SipteaHighTea
11 November 2005

Maybe the show should have episodes for about complex financial white collar crime and high-tech crimes to show how math can be use to unravel the cases and send the criminals to prison. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Singapore Police, Hong Kong Police, and the National Police force of Ireland have units are design to solving these crimes plus tracing and seizing the financial and computer assets of these criminal organizations because they are trained in math such as accounting and computer science. Most of our law enforcement agencies and district attorneys do not manpower, resources, time, dedication, and political will to solve these kinds of crimes,and they would not do anything about them unless it personally happen to them. You think that with the financial crimes committed by Wall Street and the rest of Corporate America for the last 25 years, we would get serious about these crimes. The trouble is that we Americans believe that white collar crime is a victimless crime and that it is hopeless to track down a criminal over the computer. Well tell that to the former employees of Enron and World Com and those police organizations that I have mention have been very successful in being able to backtrack on the computer to find out where the criminals are hiding out.

Lots of good actors ...

Author: ziquemu from Washington DC
27 January 2005

... Jewish or not. First off, thank goodness my make-pretend girlfriend Sabrina Lloyd has a job, though it's a little too supporting (note how she didn't stop the killer or solve the case -- she had the stereotypically "womanly" job of comforting the tied up victim). No combat for her. Too bad about the blond highlights, but you can't have everything ...

Anyway, show is decent, not great, but a lot of very good actors (Morrow, Hirsch, MacNichol, Lloyd, Krumholtz) who work well as an ensemble. Even Anthony Heald (the mean prison warden in "Silence of the Lambs") as the bad FBI bureaucrat. Overall pretty formulaic and predictable (even "Silence of the Lambs" had the "random -- too random" thing with the evenly spaced incidents), but good enough to stay on for a while and work on characters.

Really could use some subtlety -- such as when Morrow unnecessarily hustles to help the cutie unnamed grad student hang up charts because, well, she's hot. However, most of the show is very straightforward, which is a shame, because this is a cast that can handle subtlety and subplot. Otherwise we've just got CSI West, with more math and less evidence.

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]