IMDb > "Numb3rs" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Numb3rs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Numb3rs" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

In number terms, eight out of ten....

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
21 January 2009

This show has a very far-fetched idea which is totally ludicrous that I never watched a second, until I was sitting down bored senseless that I decided 'what the heck?' And I was pleasantly surprised, its not one of those, 'awful' love dramas, like Grays Anatomy were everything is based on love....it is pure fun as Don tries to solve cases with brother Charlie who is Mathematical genius.

The show has a great opening with the statistics and then the crime happens, then Charlie deducts the obvious from the complicated...in his head and then Don kicks ass!

Thats the show in a nut shell...There's no heavy story lines, its just something you can sit back and watch without even thinking, you just let Charlie think for you!

Great show!

Mathematics? What Mathematics?

Author: helenandbrian from Hove, England
17 November 2008

I like this programme because it makes me laugh. Why? Because the mathematics in it is so clunkingly awful and artificial. Last week we had a series of mathematical formulae to predict whether someone was likely to have committed suicide. Give me a break! One of the other comments points out that if something is not expressed mathematically, then it is not fact but an opinion. Maybe so, but extending that via Numb3rs is like saying that Dan Brown is the leading theologian of his generation.

As I said at the beginning, I quite enjoy this show for its fun and escapism. And let's face it, the CSI franchises make a load of their science up too.

Yayyy...MAth!!!

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
11 September 2007

My summary line comes from the fact that this show is built around the power of numbers. As a kid--more specifically,from about seventh grade through much of college--I found myself hating MAth and resenting the requirements to take courses like Algebra and Calculus. But after being tutored by a friend of mine in Calc,who was an Engineering student,and having discovered the beauty in numbers and the lack of agendas or interpretations in the subject,I found myself drawn to math and becoming more inclined to respect and admire people who are good at the subject.

Therein lies my enjoyment of this show,produced by Tony and Ridley Scott. The show centers around the brothers Eppes:FBI agent Don(Robb Morrow,returning from "Northern Exposure" and much less kvetchy or neurotic than then) and his younger brother Charlie(David Krumholtz,fantastic here!),a small college math professor. Charlie uses his knowledge of math,formulas and the intuition he gets from it to aid Don in his unit's investigations. As driven and good at their professions as the brothers are,they have little or no social life,and are usually spending a lot of time with their retired Dad(Judd Hirsch,always great to have in a show),a city planner and engineer. They have friends,of course:Don has his peers from work,his fellow agents(Loren Dean,Diane Farr,Alimi Ballard,Dylan Bruno)and Don has his college associates(Peter MacNicol,Kathy Najimy,Nawi Rawat)but both are somewhat reticent about the unpredictability of relationships. Most episodes,however,don't delve too far into those issues,preferring to cover the crimes that the brothers(and by asoscication their peers)are charged with solving. NAturally,as per any crime drama with a twist or catch,the crimes are often not simply figured but are rather intricate and labyrinthine and will take ALL the intuitive and cognitive skills that everyone involved has.

A smart and warm show with an interesting angle,Friday nights are rather poisonous areas for ratings,but this show seems to stake its territory just fine. I hope CBS invests in this show for more seasons,because it is plenty fertile of material.

With Numb3rs we can solve the biggest numb3r of crimes we can!

Author: marcus_stokes2000 from Italy
25 August 2007

*SPOIL3RS*

FBI Agent Donald Eppes (Rob Morrow) gets some help from his younger brother, genius mathematician Charles Eppes (David Krumholtz) - and of his academic friends Larry Fleinhart (Peter MacNicol) and Amita Ramanujan (Navi Rawat) - on any kind of crimes he and his team - David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard), Profiler Megan Reeves (Diane Farr) and former Army Guy Colby Granger (Dylan Bruno) - face. But the series analyzes also the family relations between the two brothers and their widowed father Alan (Judd Hirsch).

'Numb3rs' manages to make one of the most hated subjects at school, math, cool, and that in and of itself is already an accomplishment; then, the writing team, as it seems to be a habit at CBS, is top notch, the performances are quite good, so I say, thanks Cheryl and Nick!

Numb3rs: 9/10.

Wonderful Show!

Author: drama59 from california
1 July 2007

Great Show! Great Cast! This is a wonderful series and if you haven't seen it..You should! The plot revolves around an FBI agent and his math whiz brother who uses math to solve crimes. It is quite ingenious. Love to see Peter McNicohel who is an intense actor but in this show is a wonderful comic sidekick who makes the show!!! David Krumholtz is brilliant as Charlie. A long way from the Santa Clause he is a mature and wonderful actor who makes Numbers..Numbers.Bravo David! Judd Hirsh is his usual amazing self as the father and so welcome back after Taxi. Rob Morrow (Northern Exposure) is a the FBI brother and great in his role. Diane Farr and Navi Rawat round out the cast and are great!!! The show could not do without either one of them. All I have to say is Great Cast, Great Show, Watch It!

If you haven't seen Two Daughters this comments on that episode

Author: nappie5 from United States
29 September 2006

This show is awesome. Who would have thought that mathematicians would ever be portrayed as such useful people by commercial television! The show portrays Charlie as an awkward, social inept guy who contributes to criminal investigations via mathematical analysis. He struggles with relationships, and girls are so out of his league. But watching him working up the courage to approach Amita, only to have her ignore him because SHE was wrapped up in a math problem related to the case he was working on was classic. It was like watching a young high school kid work up to talking to a girl for the first time. (Of course that is where Charlie is socially.)

Not just another crime show

Author: CSI_Missy from Canada
24 July 2006

I think the main difference between Numb3rs and other Crime Shows is that it not only scopes the use of mathematics in Crime solving, but how working in the FBI affects family life. The way the Eppes family gets along and responds to change/conflict is so different from other crime shows, it gives you the perfect balance of character depth and case study. The way everything is laid out makes it so you can understand what Charlie's saying and how he got there. You may not understand the math behind it, but you understand generally how he got there. The way the family relives the past is actually believable, you learn about the characters' pasts in ways that seem completely natural. It really is a great show.

The view from the UK

Author: Andrew Perry from United Kingdom
24 July 2006

After recently becoming convinced of the USA's ability to consistently produce excellent quality television, it is a delight to find another intelligent show that I can absorb myself in. Like discovering a new author with a huge back catalogue of top-class books to dive into, I now have the joy of renting the DVDs in sequence and getting a four hour session every weekend night until I'm up-to-date: hurrah! As is probably deducible from the above, I loved this show. It's everything good that the USA can do with drama: well written, well acted, high production values and clearly not targeted at the hard-of-thinking. If you like The West Wing or NYPD Blue or CSI, you will like this.

The basic premise – that a genius-level mathematician comes to the aid of his FBI brother to apply his skills analyzing and helping to solve major crimes is a beguiling one. Rob Morrow leads a quality cast in making such concepts as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principal both understandable and relevant to the job of catching the bad guys (the idea is that the act of observing a situation inevitably alters it in a way that cannot be quantified exactly, so suspects under surveillance will act very differently to how they will when unobserved). I look forward in real anticipation to getting stuck into watching this show.

awesome show

Author: seventhheavenchick from Canada
19 May 2006

I love this show. For anybody who has not seen it, it is about a FBI agent, Don Epps and his mathematician Charlie Epps. They solve cases together. I think there are 2 reasons why this show works and is not just another crime-solving show. Frist, the fact that they use math to solve crimes and second, the family element makes the show great. Well at least in my opinion. Don struggles with being the brother of Charlie Epps, world famous mathematician. Charlie had been so smart that he graduated at the same time as Don, even though they are several years apart. They both still struggle with the death of their mother and they both feel the need to look after their father.

A smart show about smart people

Author: chuckivie from California, United States
17 May 2006

One of the things I like about this show is that nobody is stupid. Some are smarter than others but all of the characters are very clever people.

As a retired college professor (physics and astronomy) I bestially like the way the university folks are characterized. I have known and worked with people like Charlie Epps and Dr. Larry Fleinhardt and Krumholtz and McNichols play these characters flawlessly.

Occasionally the plot line becomes a bit stretched but the characters pull it through and provide a solid and entertaining show.

Good stuff.