IMDb > The Making of 'Scarface' (1998) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Making of 'Scarface' (V) More at IMDbPro »

Somewhat long, for the amount of info, but not really "bad"

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
19 February 2008

As the Trivia will tell you, this is a making of featurette(yes, hence the title of it) on Scarface(I know, you're overwhelmed with surprise), found on the Collector's Edition DVD. Mine also featured outtakes, which, admittedly possibly due to the poor translation of someone who hasn't actually watched them, are listed as being "funny", a gag reel, but I can't claim that they were anything of the sort(some, if not all, may really have been deleted scenes). This is made up of interviews with the five people listed, including the star, the director and the writer, each of them by themselves. Some clips of the film, including at least one that wasn't in the released cut, are inter-cut, and one clip of Carlito's Way, and some from the original Scarface, are also found herein. They talk about the conception and idea of the film, comparisons are made to the '32 film, the acting and casting is dealt with some, and the censorship(and related fight to get it released without being damaged by the heavy cutting demanded by the MPAA)... that last one leads to a brief series of clips from the original cut, and a version made for television, with such well-done and creative language edits that I can enjoy and more or less even respect the censorship of it, that was probably the part I found most entertaining and worthwhile in this entire production. Bregman draws a comparison to Hitchcock at one point, which could be argued to be a stretch. This has language of the same potency of the movie itself. It's well-edited throughout. The pacing is good... it is perhaps too long(coming in at 52 minutes) if compared to how much it tells the viewer, and how entertaining it is, which is really not all that much at all(which is not to say that it's boring to watch, or that it moves slowly). Score isn't covered at all, little is mentioned about the look and technical aspects. There is no real "this is how we did *that*" in this, if the part about the synchronizer was interesting(they could maybe have explained it better, in more detail, though). This isn't poor, it just isn't outstanding, and if you're going to spend an hour watching behind-the-scenes material, you don't have to look hard to find something with more material in less time. I recommend this to fans of the film, and/or anyone who wants to know more about it. 6/10

Amazing!! Say hello 2 my little friend!!!!!!

Author: erny23 from United Kingdom
5 January 2006

Amazing film! Has everything romance, action, killing! Probably best film I've seen! Don't know if its better than A Bronx Tale though, because thats pretty good, but Al Pacino's a legend! oh yes i hate that guy who kills him at the end he is gay!!! But i reckon hes a bit of a idiot because he's bit over protective of Gina ( his sister) because he shouldn't of killed Chico ( best friend ) but amazing film!!!

Other films i recommend are A Bronx Tale, Goodfellas, and The Godfather(Al Pacino). I think that Chico's a bit stupid though because he said to him to stay away from Gina anyway so he should of. If anyone knows any other good Al Pacino films please let me know.