IMDb > Krrish (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Krrish

Krrish More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A critique of the criticisms

Author: The_Mighty_Warrior from United Kingdom
4 July 2006

I have been lurking on this section for some time now, with a few raised eyebrows at some of the comments that have been passed here. I think some are just wholly unjustified and inaccurate.

I have seen Krrish twice now. It is an unabashed popcorn entertainer. You're typical Hollywood special effects summer blockbuster, only that it has a unique Indian soul and the quintessential Bollywood elements. It is an accomplished blend of Indian popular storytelling , western technology and Asian action and it's historic success in India, proves how successful this fusion is.

Surprisingly, unlike most Hollywood film, where technology and action takes precedence, here special effects are minimally and virtuously(often seamlessly) used and most of the emphasis is on the emotional journey of the protagonist, who is reborn as the superhero, only towards the end, shifting to sci-fi action and concluding in a mesmerising ground-air-sea helicopter chase sequence, supported by an awesome and adrenaline-pumping background score.

Now I am going to deal with the common issues made against Krissh:

1. Action and special effects do not compare to Hollywood standards.

You really do need to define what Hollywood standards are. I have seen many big budget Hollywood special effects extravaganzas and the quality of special effects are variable; they range from good to bad; from shot to shot and from film to film.

Krrish is nothing below "Hollywood standards" It has effects work that is on par or better than some Hollywood films, and less than some. What matters most, is do they work on their own terms, and given that masses of people, including international critics have appreciated them, means an emphatic yes.

2. The techniques, effects and stunts are borrowed and/or plagiarised from Hollywood and Asian films; such as Crouching Tiger, House of flying daggers,Paycheck, Matrix.

First of all, it would make sense that special effects techniques have been repeated from Hollywood, because the special effects supervisors - are from Hollywood.

It would make sense that the stunts and martial arts have been repeated from Asian films, because the stunt choreographer - is from Hong Kong.

Secondly, techniques are invented to be reused. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

A filmmaker has at his utility an entire tool-kit of established techniques. It is how he uses them to actualise his vision that creates originality. In that respect, Rakesh Roshan is not a hack, because while he borrows techniques, he tailors them to his unique vision and lends them an originality of their own.

The stunts and action scenes have been designed according to Krrish's character and his own quirks, abilities and idiosyncrasies.

In particular, the final ground-air-sea helicopter chase sequence and the shot where Krrish uses the fountain jet to catapult him(awesome shot) into the air has never been done before. The anime-inspired fight sequence on the island is another spark of creativity. The initial sequence of him running to catch the glider is another very original sequence. Ditto for the Circus fire scene.

3. Krrish is a mundane love story, comedy and drama for most of the film. Not enough superhero elements.

When I watched Krrish the first time, I too echoed the same sentiments. I wanted to see more action scenes and superhero elements, not the usual run of the mill romantic comedy. I was disappointed. Then when I watched it the second time, this time without expecting a superhero film, I realised it's not suppose to be a superhero film; it is the beginning of a superhero

4. Krrish is a hybrid of other superheros films and copies plot elements.

Superhero films are quite a predictable genre and share many similarities. They are the classic tale of good vs evil, where the hero is super-good and the villain is super-evil(often a megalomaniac with designs to take over the world) and the film builds to the final face-off, where good will invariably triumph. Superman follows the exactly the same story arc; so does Batman; so does Spiderman; and yes, so does Krrish.

Another similarity is that the superhero-ego will often be incognito and not reveal their true identity, except to a select few. You see this in Superman; Spiderman and Batman; so, you also see it in Krrish. Again, because the superhero is mysterious, they become the talk of the world and the the press become obsessed with them and in unveiling their identity. You see this in Superman; Spiderman and Batman; so you see it in Krrish.

Krrish is as original and unoriginal as any superhero film. If you can accept that Superman is not a copy of Spiderman and Spiderman is not a copy of Batman. Then you should be able to accept that Krrish is not a copy of either of them and stands as an original work.

5. Krrish is just the usual Bollywood potboiler, with songs and dances, comedy, melodrama and colours.

So are 99.9% of Bollywood films. This is the unique Bollywood identity and film-making heritage and make no mistake about it, Krrish is an all-out Bollywood film, made for mass consumption by Bollywood fans.

Krrish is a very commendable and well-made film, an all out-entertainer, with plenty of cool action and special effects, but with it's heart in it's story of Krishna becoming Krrish(played admirably by Hrithik Roshan) It's also a historic milestone in Indian film-making, and will be to Indian cinema, what Superman was to American cinema. Expect the sequel to even bigger.

An impressive and world-class entry by Bollywood to the fantastic world of sci-fi and fantasy. I look forward to more such films from Bollywood. In fact, as I write , another Bollywood director is in the preproduction phase of a big budget futuristic sci-fi romance set in 2050 India, and not an ordinary love story, it's the love story between a robot and a human!

Krrish, the first Indian film I have seen on cinema

Author: eeob from Sweden
3 July 2006

I saw Krrish in Stockholm yesterday. I am not keen on science fiction movies, even if I used to read science fiction when I was young. I have never before seen an Indian movie on cinema and perhaps because it was the first time, I liked Krrish very much. Indian films are longer than Hollywood/European films, but it didn't feel long at all. Must have been entertaining! It did not matter at all that the film makers had borrowed ideas from other films(Flying Daggers, ET, Dr.Who, whatever). The film was very Indian and didn't feel like a copy of anything. I loved the music and dances, the dance in the circus was wonderful!

The actor who played Krrish felt quite right for the role. I have seen him in KKKB, but didn't think much about him then, was too fascinated by Sharukh. This is my first film critic ever! Becoming addicted to Indian films make me do strange things!!

A Nutshell Review: Krrish

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
24 June 2006

The very first Indian movie I saw in its entirety as a kid, was Annamalai, starring Superstar Rajnikanth. Since then I was intrigued by Indian cinema, but never found the patience nor the time to sit through the standard fare of at least 2.5-3hrs of pure spectacle. On and off I caught bits and pieces of movies shown on TV, and the last Bollywood movie I saw mid-way, was Shah Rukh Khan's Asoka, and that's it.

Krrish is a sequel to the blockbuster Koi... Mil Gaya, also directed by Rakesh Roshan, but no worries if you haven't seen the first movie - you'll be brought up to speed in no time, and Krrish will also work if it stood alone. First off, it's a superhero movie combined with science fiction, so that was a plus point to have this movie reintroduce me to Bollywood once again. And it worked. With romance, action, and some comedy thrown into the mix, what can one ask for more for pure entertainment?

Those not familiar with Bollywood movies might balk at the length of Krrish - almost 5 minutes shy of 3 hours, which is quite standard runtime fare (there is a clearly marked "interval" in the movie, but it was not utilized here). But I tell you that you won't feel its length, and will actually secretly hope that it continues some more. The first hour dwelled on the introduction of our hero Krishna (Hrithik Roshan), a man born with extraordinary powers, whose grandmother Sonia took upon herself to shield him from a world awaiting to exploit his talent, if discovered. It's like a visit to the Kent farm, except that the whole grandmother- son relationship looked more at home vis-a-vis Spiderman's Aunt May and Peter Parker.

When Krishna meets Priya (the gorgeous Priyanka Chopra, Miss World 2000) by chance during her adventure holiday camp, and he becomes smitten with her, moving the movie towards a romance. She's the quintessential Singapore modern career girl, who puts career (or trying to salvage it) before love, and therein complicates matters of the heart when we get to the boy-momentarily-loses-girl bit. Plenty of drama in this area, though it doesn't dwell too long on it, increasing the pace for the action bits.

Those eager to see Krrish, the superhero, will have to wait almost 2 hours before he makes an appearance in full costume. He's like Jet Li's cousin Black Mask with the black outfit and abilities, but with a better looking facial piece to disguise his identity. But with or without costume, we see Krishna's prowess through various stunt and fight choreography enhanced by wirework from one of Hong Kong's stunt masters, Chen Siu-Tung, especially in his "qing gong" abilities to glide effortlessly through the air like Chinese martial artists. There's also a showpiece for Hrithik to demonstrate the kung-fu skills picked up, and the fights, if compared with other Bollywood movies, have toned down its cheesy sound effects and credibility issues because of its premise (if a superhero punches you, you'll definitely fly what).

And what's a Bollywood flick without song and dance? Yes, our hero sings and dances when romancing his love, from the mountains in India to the skyscrapers in Singapore, but he doesn't do so as his alter-ego Krrish (yup, just let the superhero stick to kicking serious rear). There are 5 beautiful songs in Krrish, and save for the one in the circus, the rest did not involve mass dancing by extras, which kept the focus purely on the leads. And the dance choreography was pretty amazing too, though I was surprised that Hrithik Roshan, given his muscular bulk, could dance so gracefully. Oh, did I mention Priyanka Chopra is gorgeous?

While the romance and action bit were interesting, the science fiction bit was unfortunately found wanting. Not that it was bad, but because it was too familiar. Adapting the same plot as Philip K Dick's Paycheck, the sets, premise and plot device looked exactly the same as John Woo's Paycheck movie - we have the evil Dr Arya (Naseeruddin Shah) building a supercomputer which can look into the future, and therefore becoming God himself. The evil lair too looked like Woo's underground lair in M:I2, complete with pigeons (no doves in Singapore).

For those who want to know more about the local landmarks used - Singapore Expo was used quite a bit, since it's large enough to be filmed at different areas passing off as different venues, even doubling up as Changi Airport's arrival hall entrance with smart editing. The Esplanade was another choice location as the HQ of a conglomerate run by Dr Arya, with National Library's Pod doubling as the penthouse office. There are many scenes with glass windows, which will clue you in on the location of the current setting. Other notable locations are the condos at Kallang, Shenton Way / Raffles Place, Lau Pa Sat (widely publicized during the shoot here), the Singapore River and our offshore islands.

Krrish reminded me that cinema is about the big spectacle, and I encourage anyone who's into song, dance, and especially those interested in seeing local landmarks make their way into movies, to give Krrish a shot. It made Singapore look sexy, and probably showed us a different angle in making an action movie here. While awaiting the arrival of Singer's Man of Steel, watch Krrish!

Finally a Superhero of our own

Author: aasifali from United States
23 June 2006

The wait's over, even though it took quite long.The movie is excels in acting and story. The story is refreshingly different and not abashedly picked up from any of the superheroes of Bollywood. Its in fact very good and innovative.One that is different and yet rooted to its base characters. Hrithik has one again excelled at everything from doing his own stunts to acting and dancing(forte). The direction is sleek and styled. For once i could relax, put down my critical enjoying view and abashedly enjoy whats supposed to be our own superhero with all the values and dignity. The movie has a good mixture of both humor and class

Krishna Mehra (Hrithik Roshan) is an Indian country lad with super powers. He falls for a city girl (Priyanka Chopra) and goes to Singapore to win her heart. Awesome Ensues.

Author: Ben Schwantner from California, US
16 August 2008

Krrish is a unique movie that combines many elements and genres. Reviewing this film is no easy task; reviewing it objectively is even harder. This is because Krrish breaks many of the expectations of a western moviegoer. It's action is unusual, its acting is often exaggerated, not to mention that its in a foreign language! Getting a good perspective on the film is hard when it doesn't look anything like the movie one was looking for. So, let me just get my bias out on the table early on in this review. I loved it! I haven't laughed that hard in any action movie ever. I haven't seen fights that good in any comedy ever. Nor have I ever seen music videos like those in any sci-fi super hero flick. I love the crazy place this movie has found in terms of genre. This film moves easily from pop music video to manga-style action to touching drama to thought provoking sci-fi. It's just great.

However, the bizarre amount of slapstick comedy, product placement/general commercialism, and constant switching of genre may very well put some western viewers off. This movie is not your usual super hero flick. Batman this is not.

It is, however, an excellent movie that combines the core elements of the super hero genre with romance, comedy, and sci-fi, and does this quite effectively, thanks to the good dialogue, great choreography and effects, and great acting and dancing by Hrithik Roshan and Priyanka Chopra.

I was thoroughly entertained and would recommend this film to just about anyone who is willing to suspend disbelief, sit back, and enjoy the show.

Heartfelt Cinema

Author: springsunnywinter from United Kingdom
14 May 2007

It is great having a superhero in Bollywood now, I absolutely loved the film it was so peaceful at the first half and hearty during the second half. The story was amazing the best thing about it is the computer that can see the future and Krishna never intended to be a superhero he wanted to save the kids from a circus fire but made a promise to his grandmother not to show his powers to anyone so he changed his overcoat inside out & wore a mask and that is how Krishna became Krrish, Hrithik's body language for a superhero was terrific. Mostly in other superhero movies they intend to be a hero, which is not very amazing. In the end I was almost going to cry when Krishna was trying to save his father, it was extremely emotional. The ending was awesome when Dr Arya was about to die & Krishna took off his mask and showed who he really is and there were sparks everywhere, it means that Dr Arya would have known who he is if he looked ahead into the future when he seen his death but he looked before his death to try and avoid it. Definitely Hrithik Roshan's best film and it is 1000 times better than the crappy Spider-Man 3 I just recently seen.

super dud!!

Author: Vicky_baba from United States
21 August 2006

Krrish is being promoted as Indias first superhero movie even though that genre is probably the oldest in Indian film history. The movie is a sequel to a big hit of former years called 'Koi Mil Gaya'.After the death of Rohit(Hrithik Roshan),its the turn of the son,Krishna(Hrithik again) to shine as he has inherited the powers of the father.

The movie starts with the grandmother(Rekha) discovering the remarkable powers of her grandson.Fearing that his 'shakthis' will not give her 'mukthi' as they will be a cause for his exploitation,she leaves the place with grandson in tow to a remote corner of the world.The kid grows into a stud along with his horse.He can leap like crazy and climb trees like Tarzan.He is also supposedly very smart and very strong. Yada yada yada.

In this Utopian setting 'drops in' the super exploitive heroine,Priya(priyanka chopra) and wisks Krrish away to Singapore where he crosses paths with Dr.Arya(Naseerudin shah),an evil scientist who supposedly discovered the palmtop 20 years back and now wants to create a 'computer that can predict the future using astrology,astronomy and technology'!!And what does he plan to do with it?Rule the world of course.

The rest of the movie(30 minutes of it) is about how the 'superhero' defeats this 'supervillan'. In the first half,I mistook Krishh to be a kid movie,meant for kids below 10 years of age.In the second half i realized its not even a kids movie..its just a bizarre dumb movie that has more holes in its script than most adults can count.

Plus points:-

1.The graphics:-Pretty good for an Indian movie though flawed in their execution.(everyone knows u have to push down to move up..but newtons third law of equal and opposite forces don't matter for Krishh).

2.Hrithik Roshan:-The hard work is evident,but he cant salvage a horrible script.

Negative points:- 1.Script:-Holeridden and immature. The story moves back and forth of 20 years with no changes, with just the help of hair dye.

2.Product placements:-Placing commercial products in the hands of actors and its done so many times that its pathetic...many scenes are just ads without the voice-over.Hrithik endorses Bounrvita, Rekha is seen holding a bag of Tide(!!) and you can see more hordings on screen than a world cup match.

3.Veterans:-Rekha and shah.Rekha overacts..Shah just doesn't care,so he kind of 'underacts'.The boredom on Shah face is a true reflection of the audiences emotions.

4.Songs:-One average song and 3 other ones that sound all the same.They slow down the pace of the already dull movie.

Though the movie has a few sfx laden scenes that will make you sit up and take notice,the rest of the 3 hrs are a complete waste of time.

Bottomline:-Lots of south indians watch Balakrishna movies just to see how he makes a fool out of himself.Lots of North indians do that at Mithunda movies.Continuing in that line is Krishh.....amusing but for all the wrong reasons.

Left a lot to be desired

Author: vincentcastle81 from Canada
24 June 2006

Hrithik as Krrish and as Rohit put in a good effort, but for me, it wasn't enough to make up for the shortcomings of the film. First of all, the film's first mistake was calling itself a sequel. The moment a movie is called a sequel, people will already have a notion of what they want to see and what they expect. The fact that this movie is the sequel to Koi Mil Gaya I expected it to surpass the first movie. Krrish only surpassed Koi Mil Gaya in terms of the special effects.

I'll talk about the songs first. In Koi Mil Gaya, the songs (with the exception of perhaps one) did much to further the plot. More than that, they were catchy and truly showcased the brilliance of Rakesh Roshan. In Krrish, every time I saw a song number, I just felt the movie dragged on even more. The songs weren't at all catchy, with perhaps the exception of the circus number. In my opinion, the songs just served to drag the film longer.

OK, now on to the leads. I liked the character of Krrish a lot. He had a lot of that Clark Kent innocence and Superman values that truly makes him a hero. What I didn't like though, was the character of Priya who was so utterly selfish that from the moment Krrish followed her to Singapore she did nothing but lie to him. She was too easily influenced by her best friend that you wonder if this girl even has a spine. Not to mention there were so many instances where she showed a total lack of common sense. This is such a step back from the character of Nisha from the first movie who was a strong female character and guided Rohit and did her best to protect his innocence from the harshness of the world. In Koi Mil Gaya I totally understood why Rohit fell in love with Nisha. In Krrish on the other hand, you get a feeling that Krrish only fell in love with Priya because she's the first woman his age that he's seen all his life until that point!

*SPOILERS* ahead:

As for the plot, I felt that they didn't need to connect Krrish to Koi Mil Gaya. All it did was ruin the sweet memory of Rohit and Nisha from that movie (their fate in the sequel is just so horrible). Krrish would have worked much better as a stand alone. I mean, you can't have E.T. and then have Spiderman as the sequel. The Roshans argued that they needed an original reason for Krrish to have his powers. I'm thinking, nothing about Krrish is original! The Roshans have already borrowed so much from Hollywood that it wouldn't hurt to borrow a plot point from a Hollywood movie for the origin of his powers. Sacrificing some originality would have been worth it to keep the happy ending that Rohit and Nisha had in the last film.

Also, the twist at the end where Rohit turned up alive was just so ridiculous. By the way, another thing that really bothered me was that in Krrish, Rohit in the flashbacks while he was still young looked too much like the mentally handicapped Rohit from the first film. The first film already established that Rohit was completely normal and he even looked that way after Jadoo gave him powers. I didn't understand why the movie felt like it had to change that. Perhaps they just wanted the characters of Rohit and Krishna to be really different.

Preity Zinta was good in the 3 seconds that she was in the movie. I felt quite ripped off that that was all she got. The writers got rid of her character without much thought if you asked me. They didn't do much justice to a well established and well loved character. The scene when an old Rohit returns home to find Nisha dead will bring tears to your eyes and you wonder what the point is for the tragic fate of these two.

Rekha was the gem of the film. It was only in the scenes that had her in it did I feel like I was not watching a parody of a superhero movie.

Roshan couldn't find a nice balance between the superhero aspect of Krrish and the romance aspect of it, plus having to establish the background of the film. Perhaps he could've gotten a lesson or two from the Spiderman. This is another reason why I felt that a standalone film would have been better. As a standalone Krrish wouldn't have to waste valuable time telling what happened to Rohit and then trying to bring closure to that in the same film where they are trying to establish a new character entirely.

But the biggest shortcoming of this film was that it didn't make us empathize with Krrish and Priya the way we did for Rohit and Nisha in the first film. In the first film I rooted for Rohit and Nisha to overcome all odds to be together. Since Krrish was advertised as a love story before a superhero movie, I expected the same. Unfortunately the chemistry between Hrithik and Priyanka was colder than an iceberg. Not to mention that the character of Priya was just so weak that you wonder how the hero could fall in love with her. At the end of the film I still cared more about the characters from the previous film than i did for this one. All in all the movie left a lot to be desired and I hope if they make any other sequels that they will be respectful of the legacy that their prequels established.

Krrish and Bollywood Rock!

Author: jwhale9382 from Maryland
13 September 2007

Krrish is the first movie from India that I've seen. I saw it on Youtube. I didn't have very high expectations, but after watching it, I was blown away.

Krrish is a film about India's first superhero. It starts with a young man named Krishna, who lives in rural India with his grandmother. Krishna has several unique abilities, including super-strength, super-speed, enhanced intelligence and levitation. One day, Krishna meets and falls in love with a young woman named Priya. After she goes home to Singapore, Krishna follows and hopes to ask Priya to marry him. In Singapore, he finds reasons to uses his powers to help mankind, including fighting a mad scientist named Dr. Arya. He becomes Krrish, the icon of millions of people.

Krrish is just an awesome movie. It has plenty of action, romance, humor and super-heroics. On top of all of that, I saw the movie as an up-close look at modern Indian culture. All in all, I thought this movie was great and Bollywood rocks.

If you love superhero movies you with love this movie.

The movie has since been removed from Youtube. I hope I can find it again.

Awesome

Author: rajeevno1 from Mauritius
28 June 2006

One of the best movies ever in the Indian cinema. Will definitely get many awards. Hrithik is simply the best. keep it up!!! This type of movie has never been produced in the Indian cinema and matches movies Hollywood style. I don't think there can be any other actors that can fit in hrithik role. It is a great and feel good movie both for children and adults who will enjoy it a lot. The songs are excellent especially "Dil na diya'. This movie is so exciting that you cannot get bored although it is more than two and a half hours long. This movie is recommended for all ages and it should be watched by one and all because it is worth it!!! Thumps up for all parts of the movie

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]