IMDb > The Fog (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Fog

The Fog More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This movie is really good if you're a complete moron

Author: holder_MD from United States
17 October 2005

Allow me to save you $8 by offering something you can do at home that is just as entertaining as watching this movie. Go get a load of whites and throw it in your dryer. Now, add in one red sock. (Make sure everything's dry so you don't end up with a bunch of pink laundry.) Now, hopefully you have the kind of dryer that has the clear window in front. If you do, start the load and watch the laundry spin around. Every time you see the red sock pretend to be scared.

That's it. That's the equivalent to seeing this movie. As entertaining as watching your laundry dry and every bit as scary as a red sock.

Others have already punched all the holes in the plot (or complete lack thereof) that are necessary. I won't beat that dead horse. As mentioned, the acting was completely mailed in. The CGI was hokey, stilted and throw in in a lot of scenes unnecessarily. This wasn't just a really bad movie, this was a really bad horror movie. Most horror movies these days suck to one degree or another, but this moving distinguishes itself as being among the worst of the worst. Seriously, save yourself the time and energy and steer clear of The Fog. I haven't seen a horror movie this bad since I saw the remake of The Haunting.

Kill me now and save me from trash like this...

Author: joannafannadanna from Greenwich, CT
1 November 2005

I recently saw THE FOG and then read a lot of the reviews posted on IMDb about it. In my opinion, you people are being TOO easy on it. Can you rate anything BELOW a 1? Can I give a NEGATIVE rating to this film? And most of all, I'm writing Revolution Studios and demanding my money back. When you pay money to see something in a theater, I feel that there is a mutual and unspoken guarantee from the studio releasing it that the film will, at the very least, resemble something that LOOKS as if it were made by a group of people who know something about film-making. After seeing this, I would have to seriously question whether or not Rupert Wainwright has ever actually seen a film or if he's just going by what other people have told him ("Hey, Rupert, movies are really cool! You use this thing called a camera and it records people doing neat stuff! Doesn't that sound interesting?").

I don't need to be insulted like this. The original FOG was a good, solid piece of horror film-making that generated its scares by making the most of a small budget along with great music and decent effects. The new one is a poop stain on the remake underbelly that Hollywood has chosen to embrace. I don't just hate this movie, I LOATHE it. I loathe it and everything that it stands for because what it stands for is taking your money and then kicking you in the balls.

The WORST!

Author: chatterchit-1 from United States
17 October 2005

The worst movie I have ever seen (so far)! It deserves a "1," but I'm saving "1" for the movies they make when I'm 70 years old.

I wasn't expecting much but I thought "at least it will have a few scary parts to grab me." WRONG! As far as I could tell NO ONE in the theatre was scared ONCE -- not even those teen girl screamers that are always at horror flicks. I think everyone was CONFUSED, not scared -- Why the two love interests for Nick? Why was Elizabeth envisioning the past? Why did no one comment on the one guy's face ROTTING? Why did no one care the priest was drunk all the time? Why did it matter that the statue was made incorrectly? Why did the ghosts resort to using GRAFFITI? (and why did they use what looked like paint?)

WHY? WHY? WHY DID I PAY MONEY TO SEE THIS? Instead of paying for this, ask an eight-year-old, heck, make it a seven-year old to tell you a scary story. I GUARANTEE he or she will come up with a better plot, more realistic characters, and scarier scenes than this piece of garbage!

The biggest disappointment of the Year

Author: perfect14u from United States
16 October 2005

I was so disappointed about this. When I first heard they were remaking it, I was worried, but gave it every chance to actually be good. It wasn't. Everything that was good in the original was ruined in this one. There was no "atmosphere" to it, it was just a bunch of overly-beautiful WB-age stars thinly acting out a poor script. The whole purpose of the lighthouse and Stevie Wayne was to present this feeling of isolation and loneliness...in the new one, they seem to rarely use the lighthouse at all. There are extra points in the plot that are unnecessary and... and, I can just go on and on. It was just horrible.

Then, I tried looking at it not as a "remake" but just as a regular movie, as though I was seeing the story for the first time. But, you know what: it still sucks. It doesn't capture you. There are a few good scenes and shots, but overall I just kept wondering when it would be over. So much potential with a story and it just didn't work.

Unfortunately, that's Hollywood today. Horror films can be well made at the same time. Maybe they should stop relying so much on picture-perfect actors and corny digital special effects and start focusing more on the story, the characters, the music (Lord, the original score added so much), and just making it entertaining! 3 out of 10.

Avoid this movie at all costs.

Author: war_cat2 from San Diego (aka Kirk)
17 October 2005

I saw this opening night and let me tell you. The first hour is so bad that at least a half dozen people got up and left. The lady behind me puked half way thru the movie as well (I think because the movie made her nauseous). The last 1/2 hr does have some cool cinematography but not enough to save the film from the horrible creation it is. Bad acting, horrible script writing, stereo- typical characters with less than 1-dimension. Leave well enough alone (the 1980 original). ___SPOILER BELOW____ The best (funniest) part of the film comes when the lead lady watches a videotaped segment of some murders and we see the hilarious reaction of guy who hid in the freezer. "Just chillin'" he was. :-)

We also get an infamous horrible script writing one-liner "What's going on here?".... see if you can spot it.

This movie ROCKED.......me to sleep.

Author: firehawk-ws6 from Raleigh, North Carolina
25 October 2005

After having read a few of the comments that have already been left, it wouldn't make much sense for me to add much more than has already been said. You've been warned: This is an hour and a half of your life that you will never, ever recover....and you will be irritated for it. ZERO chemistry between characters, sub-par acting at best, no story continuity, and, most importantly, NO SCARE FACTOR. I actually found myself chuckling through a few scenes that were supposed to be suspenseful. Terrible. With the technology available today, this had some serious promise to be an improvement over the original, but it failed miserably. Watch the original Fog.....

The first tomato can be thrown at the screen two minutes after the opening credits

Author: NateF88 from IL
20 October 2005

I wasn't angry about The Fog remake until I heard that it was going to be released by Revolution Studios, a company known to house crap movies. From then on, my hopes weren't that high, and they sank even lower when I saw the trailer. It looked to much like Boogeyman or Darkenss Falls rather than an atmospheric, imaginative, horror production like the original.

The original Fog deserves to be a cult classic and is a great film, but I thought it could have used a couple of improvements. It was not John Carpenter's best effort, but it still was an 8 out of 10 movie. This remake had potential because it could have corrected some of the plot holes from the original. Not surprisingly, the modernized Fog created new loopholes in the story and in addition had a terrible script.

The characters here were clichéd. The naive young girl who sees "horrible things" happening and who is befriended by her "hot ex-boyfriend". There is even a token black guy who serves as the "comic relief" for the film. Why can't they have black heroes in horror movies? Every character is seen in some state of undress, including Stevie Wayne, a mother of a young teenage boy named Andy, who struts around in panties in front of her son (I thought that was funny). I'm surprised Andy's old nanny wasn't shown strutting around in her undies while cleaning the dishes.

The leper colony ghosts were not scary. They were all see through, and instead of a giant fishing hook, Father Blake carried a cane (WTF??), not for support while walking, but for a scene near the end of the film where flying glass shards contribute to the death of a character. Also, the fog in this film is all CGI, and is not nearly as menacing as the one in the original was.Father Malone's character in the original was a major contributor to the story, because he represented the sins of the founding fathers. In this one, he's just a stupid old drunk who has a minimal impact on the story and plays more like the typical "old lady who can see the future" kind of character. Also, why aim for a PG-13? It's obvious the filmmakers wanted to put some gore in this, and they did, because there were many deaths that involved people being maimed and/or set on fire, not necessarily in that order. Only a few more drops of blood and it would be R.

There are two good things though. There is one pretty shocking death scene that was cool and there were some cool cinematography shots. The eerie image of the sailors on their ship in the fog gave me the chills. There was also a really creepy ghost who was only shown in shadows (you never saw his face) and who wore a top hat. It would have been interesting if they showed that ghost more, but alas, they shied away from it.

And don't get me started on the ending. It's supposed to be a shocker, but it's extremely predictable. It also makes everything that preceded it make little sense. What was the point of that? Stevie Wayne's cheesy closing monologue was even cheesier than the concluding monologue in House of the Dead.

Overall, this dreadful remake ran shy of where it could have won the race.

Lousy in every way...

Author: Tatiana Salazar from Canada
16 October 2005

The Plot?...completely lousy The acting?...HORRIFIC. The main actress was truly getting on my nerves... WE did not get to identify with any of the characters as many of them were completely pointless throughout the movie...I was actually hoping they would all die. Nothing really made sense and everything just happened so fast yet it seemed like it was never going to end. The ending was almost ridiculous and completely senseless (more so than the rest of the movie) I have never seen the first movie but if it's as bad as this one, I am glad I did not waste my time. This was dreadful and painful to watch... by far the worst movie I have seen so far. I've never seen so many people walk out of a movie theater. This movie should have not been released in theaters...or DVD for that matter... What a waste!

Watch the news-it's scarier

Author: thisisshe (ariane_goodman@hotmail.com) from United States
27 October 2005

John Carpenter's name is synonymous with horror films. A few films were not well received, but he's gone on to develop a cult status. His movie The Fog was not considered a huge hit, but has become near and dear to many horror film lovers bloody hearts. So when it was announced that it was part of the rampage of remakes and sequels, half of those who heard rejoiced. They expected that better effects could make the film scarier. The other half of horror-files just shook their heads, expecting another disaster in film. What could a bigger budget and new hot young actors do to freshen it up? Would a bad episode of the Weather Channel really scare a new generation? I was one of the ones shaking my head, skeptical, but I gave it a shot.

Two of television's young actors, Tom Wellington from Smallville, and Maggie Grace from Lost, star in this unnecessary update. The film tries to fill seats with promised SSA( Scares, Screams and Sex Appeal)- obvious from the quick cut trailer which shows typical horror shots AND a low shot of Maggie Grace in her underwear. The promises are never fulfilled. The remake keeps the same plot of the first movie. Apparently somewhere in Antonio Bay's history people have been wronged. Unhappy and looking for revenge, these people come back in the Fog around the town's anniversary. For some reason the film forgets to add the part which makes the audience care about the characters. You don't care if the living out run the Fog or not. With scary and prophetic statements like "It came back from the sea….things always do" this movie provokes eye rolling and incredulous looks every five minutes.

Nothing in this movie made it redeemable. Trying to add comedy, DeRay Davis, as Spooner, is just confusing. At the same time makes one wonder why he's the only person who isn't white in the entire town. The only way that anyone should sit through this movie is if it's being used as a form of torture. I recommend you tell them what they want to know and forgo the pain. I wish I had. Leaving a horror film shocked or scared out of your wits is a desired effect. What The Fog leaves you with is scary- you've just wasted over an hour of your life watching a needless remake.

You can take "the fog" and blow it out of you know where

Author: fuzzygreenmonkey from Canada
16 October 2005

Today's forecast is foggy with a 90% percent chance of EVIL!! The Fog is one of those films that just make you feel like trying to figure out what the guy behind you had for dinner. This remake of another 1980's version just doesn't make the cut at all in my opinion. In fact it falls several meters short. The basic premise here is that there's a small fishing town who's founding fathers committed a terrible crime and now vengeance is being sought in the form of a killer fog.

Think about that for a second A KILLER FOG!!!!! Does that sound scary at all!?!?!!? It's not as if you could possibly go into a movie about killer fog expecting to come out crying (unless you cry when your extremely bored). From a horror movie point of view this movie is more akin to an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. It's just not scary at all you can spot every single little BOO from a mile away. On top of that it doesn't even make sense!!! I don't want to spoil anything here (because I know you're all just burning inside to drop whatever your doing and go see this film) but things just happen in the movie that don't even make sense at all!!! And you think they'll tie in later but they don't!!! Maybe they're setting up for "The Fog 2: Thicker Fog"? The movies only saving graces are some hot actresses, and Superman. Actually no, not even Superman could save this god forsaken kitty litter of a film.

To put a cap on things I would rather be decapitated with safety scissors than see this movie again. Please if you go to see this movie make sure to wear adequate protection,and you might want to book your therapy appointment before you go. They're a little bit backed up these days.

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]