1 item from 2008
Happy birthday Madonna! The Material Girl has hit the big 5-0 and we thought we'd celebrate by searching through cyberspace, books and articles to find 50 fascinating facts you may or may not know about Mrs. Ritchie.
From her personal statistics, Italian roots and early successes to her all-conquering pop landmarks and the crazy things that have been named after her, feast your eyes on this treasure of trivia:
- Madonna once drummed for New York pop group the Breakfast Club. A later member of the band was American Idol judge Randy Jackson. Ex-boyfriends Dan Gilroy and Stephen Bray were also members of the Breakfast Club.
- Madonna has acted in 22 films.
- The Recording Industry Association of America has named Madonna the best-selling female rock artist of the 20th century. She's also the second top-selling female artist in the United States with 63 million certified albums.
- The Guinness World Records list Madonna as the world's most successful female recording artist of all time; she has sold over 200 million records worldwide.
- She also has a stepbrother and stepsister from her father's second marriage to his former housekeeper Joan Gustafson.
- Born in Bay City, Michigan, Madonna's roots stretch back to Pacentro in Italy, where her grandparents came from. In 1988, town officials in Pacentro began to construct a 13-foot (4 meter) statue of Madonna.
- Madonna was a member of the cheerleading team at Rochester Adams High School.
- Madonna worked in a New York City Dunkin' Donuts while she was struggling to make it as a dancer in the Big Apple. She was reportedly fired after squirting jam in a customer's face.
- Madonna's first single, Everybody, was released on 24 April, 1982.
- Madonna's hit album Like A Virgin is among the Definitive 200 Albums of All Time, according to the Rock + Roll Hall of Fame, which inducted the pop star earlier this year.
- Madonna is the most successful female in her adopted U.K.'s pop charts and has more number one singles than any other female solo artist.
- Madonna has a new species of tardigrade named after her. The anthropod-type animals, also known as water bears, are often found living on mosses. They can survive in extreme conditions that would kill most other living species.
- Madonna's father, Tony Ciccone, recently decided to advance his winery business by releasing Madonna Wine, which is available in five varieties: Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Gewurztraminer, Cabernet Franc and Chardonnay. Prices range from $25 (GBP12.50) to $40 (GBP20) per bottle.
- Madonna made her London West End stage debut in 2002 in Up for Grabs.
- Madonna's first children's book, The English Roses, was published in 2003 and she has since published a total of 10 books.
- Madonna has released a total of 68 official singles to date, according to the singer's own website.
- Madonna was among People Magazine's '50 Most Beautiful People of 1991' and '25 Most Intriguing People of 2001'.
- In March 2007, Madonna created a clothing line for the retailer H+M.
- Madonna suffers from brontophobia - a fear of thunder.
- Madonna was considered for the role of Catwoman/Selina Kyle in the 1992 film Batman Returns. She turned the part down and the role went to Michelle Pfeiffer. She also fought for the role of Ginger in Casino, but lost out to Sharon Stone.
- Madonna is 5 feet, 44 inches (1.64 metres) tall. Her measurements are 34C-23-33.
- Madonna does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She was selected for the honour in 1990 but she showed no interest and the invitation has now expired. Walk of Fame spokeswoman Ana Martinez-Holler states that, in order to receive a star, Madonna would have to be "resubmitted for a nomination," adding, "since she is not interested, I highly doubt that she will give a nominator the permission to do so."
- Madonna was paid $5 million (GBP2.5 million) by Pepsi to film a commercial that never even aired. Pepsi bosses pulled the controversial ad, which was related to her Like A Prayer video and full of religious overtones.
- Madonna has won nine Razzie Awards: Worst Actress for Shanghai Surprise in 1987, Worst Actress for Who's that Girl in 1988, Worst Actress for Body of Evidence in 1994, Worst Supporting Actress for Four Rooms in 1996, Worst Actress of the Century in 2000, Worst Actress for The Next Best Thing in 2001, Worst Actress and Worst Screen Couple for Swept Away in 2003, and Worst Supporting Actress for Die Another Day in 2003.
- Madonna originally dreamed of becoming a ballet dancer.
- The Beastie Boys supported Madonna on her very first solo tour.
- Madonna was ranked Number 1 on VH1's '100 Sexiest Artists' in 2002.
- Madonna has been nominated for a total of 18 Grammy Awards; she has won five.
- Madonna has been a vegetarian since she was 15.
- Madonna hates the colour orange.
- Madonna was named one of People magazine's worst-dressed, in 1999.
- Madonna's What It Feels Like For A Girl and Justify My Love were banned from MTV. »
1 item from 2008
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners